PDA

View Full Version : Tax on used boat?

kevnmcd
04-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know if I buy a boat in California but am going to register it in Arizona....Do I pay California Sales Tax or Arizona Sales Tax? Thanks in advance.

78Eliminator
04-23-2003, 02:21 PM
You pay taxes at the DMV usually in the state that it is going to be registered in....

Mandelon
04-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Just send me $600 and we'll call it even.. :p
[ April 23, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Boatcop
04-23-2003, 02:40 PM
You don't pay sales tax on private transactions in either state. If you were to keep registering it California, you'd have to pay California luxury tax to the County you live in.
If you're buying a used boat from a dealer, you'll have to pay sales tax where you buy it, unless you actually take possession of it out of state. In this case the AZ Game and Fish Department won't register the boat, until you show that you have paid the 5% state sales tax to the AZ Department of Revenue.
In Arizona the "use tax" is part of the registration fee and is figured by the length of the boat. There are different tax rates for out of state owners and Arizona residents. It's higher for out-of-staters.

Boatcop
04-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Sorry, double post. :p
[ April 23, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

spectratoad
04-23-2003, 02:41 PM
send me $475 and I will even send you paperwork?! :D

Mandelon
04-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Damn low bidders.... :) :)

Up 4 River
04-23-2003, 02:44 PM
I recently bought a new boat in CA and registered it in AZ. I paid no sales tax on the boat in AZ, just the registration fee. I did pay sales tax on the boat trailer becasue it is registered in CA. You will not have to pay luxury tax if the boat is registered in AZ.

78Eliminator
04-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Boatcop:
You don't pay sales tax on private transactions in either state.That is not true. When I have purchased a used vehicle privately in CA, and went to the DMV and registered and transfered ownership, they ask me how much I payed. Then, they charge me sales tax right there on the purchase price... Now, either the DMV clerks have been jacking me for extra cash, or you are not from CA......

77charger
04-23-2003, 02:50 PM
I just bought a boat in nov private party and had to pay sales tax on it.The prk will tax anything they can.

Up 4 River
04-23-2003, 02:55 PM
I am from CA, and the two used boats I have bought I did not have to pay sales tax on either one. A car is different than a boat in this situation. I bought both boats from a private party, registered them in AZ by contacting the game and fish department, and then simply registerd my boat trailer in CA. When I went and registerd the trailer I only paid sales tax on that.

Boatcop
04-23-2003, 06:43 PM
When I have purchased a used vehicle privately in CA, and went to the DMV and registered and transfered ownership, they ask me how much I payed. Then, they charge me sales tax right there on the purchase price... <snip> or you are not from CA...... Actually I AM from California, but haven't lived there since Reagan was Governor. I never had to pay sales tax on the many vehicles I bought from private parties, or upon registration.
Must be some new thing to soak the California residents. Thanks for reminding me why I don't live there anymore. :D

mtndewdrops
04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
The moral of this story is don't buy a boat in california.
I agree with UP4RIVER... :) The ONLY way to go is register in the boat in AZ and the trailer in CA. Say the trailer was $500 at California DMV and pay $56 like I did. Then be sure to insure the trailer for at least $1500.
The Certificate of Ownership for AZ cost me $77 for a 21 ft boat. $20.00 for a non-resident fee and $68.50 for the boat less pro rata for months left on current registration.
The current wait for LIBBY at Dept of Fish & GAME = 30 DAYS jawdrop
Lucky I bought my Essex two weeks ago :cool: ...COUNTDOWN to HAVASU T-MINUS 19 DAYS...and counting wink

Essex502
04-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Kevin - you need to register the boat in AZ and store it in AZ to avoid the annual CA property tax (read luxury tax). Registering it in AZ and storing in CA opens the door for the county you live in to tax you. Buy it in AZ or NV for that matter and store it there and no CA property tax.

kevnmcd
04-24-2003, 08:03 PM
E502 - Easier said than done...when you are buying used you don't always have a choice of where you buy it....that is when you being picky about what you want.
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Uplink
04-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Register it in Nevada, they charge by the size of the boat. It's $30 bucks for a 21 footer, $5 bucks for a title. They don't care where you live or how much the boat costs.

RiverForUs
04-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Essex502:
Kevin - you need to register the boat in AZ and store it in AZ to avoid the annual CA property tax (read luxury tax). Registering it in AZ and storing in CA opens the door for the county you live in to tax you.Absolutely NOT true! Bought my boat new in Corona, store it at my house in Anaheim, and have it registered in AZ. It's my understanding that the Coast Guard says it should be registered in teh state that it is primarily used in.

PWCExtreme
04-27-2003, 04:43 PM
I live in California and have played the REG/tax game with DMV several times. Tell them it was a gift and they cant tax you! I have done it for cars, trucks and Jet ski's.

Essex502
04-28-2003, 12:04 PM
RiverForUs:
Essex502:
Kevin - you need to register the boat in AZ and store it in AZ to avoid the annual CA property tax (read luxury tax). Registering it in AZ and storing in CA opens the door for the county you live in to tax you.Absolutely NOT true! Bought my boat new in Corona, store it at my house in Anaheim, and have it registered in AZ. It's my understanding that the Coast Guard says it should be registered in teh state that it is primarily used in. R4U - Absolutely is true. You are just violating the law. It's fine with me if you do, I don't care. If the county you live in ever finds out they can tax you all the way back to when you bought it. It is called tax fraud.
What the Coast Guard says is NOT contradictory...the term the Coast Guard uses is "MOORED". That implies where the vessel is PRESENT not used.
See this: (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr20.htm)
This also. (http://www.oc.ca.gov/assessor/faq.asp)
Q: When and where are boats and aircraft assessed for property taxes?
A: State law requires that boats and aircraft be assessed on January 1 of every year, at the site where they are regularly or routinely located. Boats and aircraft regularly located in Orange County are assessed here, regardless of where they are registered.
Q: Will I be assessed even if my boat or aircraft is out of the county on January 1?
A: Temporarily removing a boat or aircraft from the county on January 1 will not exempt it from property taxes, if it is regularly or routinely located in the county
BTW...liens for property tax can be made against your home, if owned, as well as the vessel if the county you live in catches you.

Essex502
04-28-2003, 12:05 PM
kevnmcd:
E502 - Easier said than done...when you are buying used you don't always have a choice of where you buy it....that is when you being picky about what you want.
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Kevin...just meant that if you have a choice between an AZ or NV boat and a CA boat (same type model, etc.) pick the non-CA boat is save a "boat-load" wink

78Eliminator
04-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Boatcop:
Actually I AM from California, but haven't lived there since Reagan was Governor. I never had to pay sales tax on the many vehicles I bought from private parties, or upon registration.
Must be some new thing to soak the California residents. Thanks for reminding me why I don't live there anymore. :D Yeah, that's why you confused me. I could have sworn that you said you used to live in La Jolla or something.....
[ April 28, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Boatcop
04-28-2003, 02:06 PM
I could have sworn that you said you used to live in La Jolla or something.....
Grew up in Hawthorne and Manhattan Beach.
120 miles? Close enough. wink
I lived in Santee in 1986-'87, but since I was in the Coast Guard, stationed in SD, I retained my Arizona residency.