PDA

View Full Version : Web building experts?

Craig
04-17-2003, 07:51 PM
OK Pros :) I'm learning Microsoft Front Page so we can put a web page up we've talked about for a while. Seeing how this program lets you know how long each page will take to load on a persons screen, assuming they have a 28.8 modem, what time frame do you try and keep it to? My home page is currently at 191 seconds which doesn't seem too bad.
Craig

GlastronGuy
04-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Make sure the server you will be uploading the pages to accept Front Page extensions. Some don't and Front Page won't work.

Jrocket
04-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Craig:
OK Pros :) I'm learning Microsoft Front Page so we can put a web page up we've talked about for a while. Seeing how this program lets you know how long each page will take to load on a persons screen, assuming they have a 28.8 modem, what time frame do you try and keep it to? My home page is currently at 191 seconds which doesn't seem too bad.
Craig Ok,one more time....This time in English please!!! :D :D

Kwicherbichen
04-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Change to settings to 56K modem and see what it says. To this day 3/4 of users still have dial up and not a high speed connection. Having said that, a good rule of thumb is something under 20 seconds. My home page loads quick but the pictures create the delay. For the most part it's pretty close to the 20 seconds.
Ultimately, 10-15 seconds is awesome.
BTW, The software is a matter of choice. My choice is Dreamweaver. I'm not fond of the Frontpage Extensions thing.
Good Luck

rvrhlic
04-17-2003, 10:15 PM
If you use either two of the programs mentioned, or for that matter any WYSISYG, be sure to go through the code and strip out an erroneous tags. Most WYSISYG add tags that do nothing, but the browser has to read them and thus it slows down the load time.
Hand coding is the way to go, you will get the best load times.

Craig
04-18-2003, 05:10 AM
kwicherbichen, I didn't know you could change the modem speed that the program measuring everything against?
Yeah, I've been told by a lot of folks, "don't assume most peaple have high speed, casue they don't." I only choose Front Page because it came with my XP. Once I get compfortable on the basics of web page design and maintenance, maybe I'll look at some other programs to compare it with.
rvrhlic, code? It's taken my dum bass enough to learn the basics!!! I click it over to the html view and it looks Greek to me :D Seriously though, at this point I can at least look at that page and sort of understand the code. After I get this together I'll concentrate on learning more code specific tasks.
Thanks for the info.

Craig
04-18-2003, 05:41 AM
OK, once you gave me a clue about the download speed, I actually looked in one of the books I have for Front Page. What do you know? Read the instructions and you can change it to 56.6. :D

GlastronGuy
04-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Craig:
kwicherbichen, I didn't know you could change the modem speed that the program measuring everything against?
Yeah, I've been told by a lot of folks, "don't assume most peaple have high speed, casue they don't." I only choose Front Page because it came with my XP. Once I get compfortable on the basics of web page design and maintenance, maybe I'll look at some other programs to compare it with.
rvrhlic, code? It's taken my dum bass enough to learn the basics!!! I click it over to the html view and it looks Greek to me :D Seriously though, at this point I can at least look at that page and sort of understand the code. After I get this together I'll concentrate on learning more code specific tasks.
Thanks for the info. You might be better off using Word if you have Office 2000 or Office XP.

CJ
04-18-2003, 07:21 AM
56k definitely. Just make sure it loads as quickly as possible.
I'm with Kwicher on the Dreamweaver. The new Dreamweaver MX has Homesite (coding) built in. Try Kazaa.com to download it.
What I suggest is visit sites you like, view the source, deduct which lines of code are doing what you like, copy them into your code, tweak it to work. You will learn much by what is already done out there.
A great site for help on just about anything is about.com. If you visit html.about.com (http://html.about.com) and type just about anything, a tutorial or many other sources will be found.
Hotscripts.com is a great site for small scripts that do a bunch of work for you. A bit more advanced as far as installation and customization.
If you ever need help, feel free to email me. Great luck with your new website!

Craig
04-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks again everyone! Well, I just finished the basic homepage and set the navigation to the basic pages up. Now I just have some writing to do! Once I get everything set, I'll upload it to a host. Then once I'm comfortable with that, I'll start getting "fancy" :D