PDA

View Full Version : opinions requested--I/O vs. jet

Ziggy
06-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Ok, I'm sure this will stir up many emotions but I wanna get a feeling what everyone thinks(thats a change).
Me and the Mrs. are concidering a new boat--we've looked at several but my biggest question is what type of drive I should use now.
Been a jet boater for last 10 yrs, 3 yrs prior was outboard and 5 yrs before that standup jetski....so jet propulsion has been my mainstay....but these days we boat on bigger lakes and we're tired of fixing our teeth and kidneys after each ride. We've looked at several brands, each of which seem to have a 18 degree deadrise(sans one at 21 degrees).
I want to hear what each of you consider to be pro-con of a jet verses I/O. We are not sizing up much boatwise(from 20' to maybe 22') but want a better ride. I know fuel economy and top speed is a big plus with I/O, but I like to slink into the shallow corners now and then.
Let's hear your thoughts and opinions!!!
Thanks,
Ziggy

al cole'holic
06-30-2003, 10:43 AM
..for that size I would stick with a jet. Alot more fun to throw it around in a jet. I had a Bahner that was about 22' with an I/O, it was fast as hell with it but always concerned about touching down and the prop.

RandyH
06-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Ziggy:
Ok, I'm sure this will stir up many emotions but I wanna get a feeling what everyone thinks(thats a change).
Me and the Mrs. are concidering a new boat--we've looked at several but my biggest question is what type of drive I should use now.
Been a jet boater for last 10 yrs, 3 yrs prior was outboard and 5 yrs before that standup jetski....so jet propulsion has been my mainstay....but these days we boat on bigger lakes and we're tired of fixing our teeth and kidneys after each ride. We've looked at several brands, each of which seem to have a 18 degree deadrise(sans one at 21 degrees).
I want to hear what each of you consider to be pro-con of a jet verses I/O. We are not sizing up much boatwise(from 20' to maybe 22') but want a better ride. I know fuel economy and top speed is a big plus with I/O, but I like to slink into the shallow corners now and then.
Thanks,
Ziggy Zig, I can only speak from the jet experience, that for me it just seems safer and much easier to work on than an I/O. But you mentioned that you where going to stay at 20 to 22 feet. Does an I/O ride any better than a Jet given the same length. Ours is a new Stealth 21 and I have taken some pretty rough water with it and it rides as good as any I/O given the same length, I think. Sometimes I watch the Props around the docks and at times it would be nice to have better control at idle speed. But with practice I would guess that will improve.
The jets do have a downfall, in order to have good top end speed with a 22 foot, you need lots of horsepower and that shoots the turnkey realiabilty of say a merc power package plus you can get good warrenty from a package like that.
With the length you are looking I would still consider the jet. If it was any longer then consider the Prop. and enjoy. Good Luck
RandyH :D

Coach
06-30-2003, 10:57 AM
I love the Jets and my wife will only let us have a jet with the young kids around, she is scared to death of props.
You should call Ron at Renegade Performance boats. He has a 23' open bow DUAL jet that he is selling right now. He has tested it at 62 MPH. He can also make a new Dual jet to your liking as well. Ron also tells me that the low speed steering is very good. My buddy has a 23' with a single jet with a 502 from Renegade and it rides great. It is a very nice boat and does around 52 MPH. The guys at R&D, the guys who make the dual jet gear box, are making a 24' deck boat, much like the Aftershock, but it will be dual jet compatatible. Ron should be making the 24' decks with in a year.
Check out the web site. Renegade Performance Boats (http://www.renegadeperformanceboats.com/)
the site isn't the best, but give Ron a call and he will give you the low down. He also does stern drives as well.

al cole'holic
06-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Good point RandyH..I neglected to think about the ride. I think it was alot better with the I/O in my boat then my bro's in the same size with jets. I had the trim along with the tabs to pick me up and out and also to push it to 75mph with a 454...

SCUBA STEVE
06-30-2003, 11:10 AM
ziggy, next time out, you can try out my boat. 21', 18 degree dead rise, 502 marine power dominator jet drive w/diverter. I still get beat to shit out in havasu, and would recomend a 24 degree dead rise or a tunnel hull for the best performance, then you would have to go I/O because of that would mean a bigger boat.
With 8 peeps, full gas tank & full ice chests, I gps'd at 49.8 mph. 4900 rpm. (speedo said 53 mph)
I love & hate my jet though. I want to go faster, but the saftey of having a jet wins that battle everytime. (for now) wink Rooster tails kick ass too.

Phat_Kat
06-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Ziggy:
Thanks,
Ziggy Call John over at ultra. He'll tell you just what you need. If you're on the lakes a lot then you may consider an I/O option for a little more bang per buck. If you're still heading onto the rivers where it's extremely shallow, you're gonna want to stay jet. With a jet it's simple, get a place diverter and all the hopping is gone and you get that nice rooster tail :D . They are both capable giving the same ride and comfort but a jet is a must for blythe and other shallow rivers. Just percentage out where you're going most and where you see you self in the future going most. for me it came out 60% River and 40% lakes. If you're gonna swing a prop on the river then it should be an outboard with a 5 inch jackplate. Use my percentage rule and you'll be happy for sure. If it's 50 50 then go jet for saftey.
Just my 2 bits

HavasuDreamin'
06-30-2003, 11:28 AM
With that size boat, you will be fine either way. It is a judgment call. Pick your poison.

Ziggy
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
SCUBA STEVE:
ziggy, next time out, you can try out my boat. 21', 18 degree dead rise, 502 marine power dominator jet drive w/diverter. I still get beat to shit out in havasu, and would recomend a 24 degree dead rise or a tunnel hull for the best performance, then you would have to go I/O because of that would mean a bigger boat.
With 8 peeps, full gas tank & full ice chests, I gps'd at 49.8 mph. 4900 rpm. (speedo said 53 mph)
I love & hate my jet though. I want to go faster, but the saftey of having a jet wins that battle everytime. (for now) wink Rooster tails kick ass too. You gonna be out this weekend Steve? I might take you up on a ride.
I love my jet too, safety a big factor and shallow water operation, I'd like more speed but it isn't the biggest factor for me. Can't slide an I/O around
like the jet and the rooster is way cool. OP6 weekend we rode in our friends I/O, 21' Essex that has the 21 degree hull...what a fine ride it was, like being in one of my BMW's vs. a 68 bug or something. All the brands we've looked at have 18 degree except the Essex...we checked Elim., Commander, Caliber1, Laser and Essex. Want to go see the Ultra too.
What I was hoping to hear in here was whether or not the I/O setup creates the better ride or if the hull angles are the main reason for ride comfort.
We would like to stop always filling the fuel tank too, a jet uses considerably more. Thus my opinion request here to see what others think.
With that said, chances are you'll see my "Grape Escape" for sale in the near future.
[ June 30, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

Phat_Kat
06-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Ziggy:
SCUBA STEVE:
I love & hate my jet though. I want to go faster, but the saftey of having a jet wins that battle everytime. (for now) wink Rooster tails kick ass too. You gonna be out this weekend Steve? I might take you up on a ride.
I love my jet too, safety a big factor and shallow water operation, I'd like more speed but it isn't the biggest factor for me. Can't slide an I/O around
like the jet and the rooster is way cool. OP6 weekend we rode in our friends I/O, 21' Essex that has the 21 degree hull...what a fine ride it was, like being in one of my BMW's vs. a 68 bug or something. All the brands we've looked at have 18 degree except the Essex...we checked Elim., Commander, Caliber1, Laser and Essex. Want to go see the Ultra too.
What I was hoping to hear in here was whether or not the I/O setup creates the better ride or if the hull angles are the main reason for ride comfort.
We would like to stop always filling the fuel tank too, a jet uses considerably more. Thus my opinion request here to see what others think.
With that said, chances are you'll see my "Grape Escape" for sale in the near future. Ziggy,
If you get a chance to drive a 22 stealth leap on it like it'll save your life. The 22 stealth is one of the most comfortable and stylish boat I've ever driven. One drive and I'm already in love. I told John that I'm gonna sniff around still(scuba I might want a quick ride) but I'm 99% sure that the 22 stealth is going to be my choice.

SCUBA STEVE
06-30-2003, 12:09 PM
I'll be out there give me a call.
I think the hull set up is what controls the ride. But anything beats a flat bottom! lol :D
kilrtoy has a 21'shockwave i/o, and bordsmnj has an aftershock i/o like mine.
I havent driven an i/o myself, but I know kilrtoy says he gets beat up just as much as I do. I guess its a give & take situation.
We'll get toghether and share some war stories this weekend.

sandblasted
06-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Thank God for my jet. I have billet swim steps and everyone that has climbed on my boat has slipped...My wife tried to jump from one step to the other last year and fell off. landed right on top of the jet, if it had been a prop she would have been cut up pretty bad...I just think the jet is safer around kids and drunk people!
The biggest drawback to me is the fuel economy but what the heck..I got to spend my money on something, besides that rooster tail just looks so cool!!

bordsmnj
06-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Ziggy i saw your boat at elsinore yesterday. thought it looked familiar. i was at elsinore west puting poeple ashore for a beer run and your rig with the two jet skis on top was there either lunching or retreving.next time we'll say hi for sure. :D i have the exact same boat as scuba steve but with the i/o merc 6.2. your welcome to go for a ride and check it out. the i/o takes some getting used to but as far as fuel consumption goes it's a world of difference. i miss the rooster tail but i'm sold on the i/o know that i'm used to it.we couldn't decide untill the last second as our boat was being built on the 502/jet or the 6.2i/o.- tuff coice. only u can tell what you'll like more. we'll be at elsinore either sat or sun. maybe we'll see yuh there?

Back To Havasu
06-30-2003, 12:55 PM
I don't believe the type of propulsion affects the ride as much as the amount of deadrise at the transom. I have a 21' Shockwave Skier with a 454/bravo I, but I strongly considered the jet because I like to go in shallow water. I also like the fact that there aren't as many big boats in the shallow areas. The Shockwave Step Skier, the Hallet 210, and the Essex all offer deep V type deadrise in 21 footers, which should handle the rough water better, but can be sufficiently powered with a jet. I ultimately went prop because of better fuel economy, and faster speed, but then I boat mostly during the week. If I was a weekend boater, I have a jet, and be down on the river or up near Needles where the big boats aren't as overwhelming. :D

Ziggy
06-30-2003, 02:46 PM
bordsmnj:
Ziggy i saw your boat at elsinore yesterday. thought it looked familiar. i was at elsinore west puting poeple ashore for a beer run and your rig with the two jet skis on top was there either lunching or retreving.next time we'll say hi for sure. :D i have the exact same boat as scuba steve but with the i/o merc 6.2. your welcome to go for a ride and check it out. the i/o takes some getting used to but as far as fuel consumption goes it's a world of difference. i miss the rooster tail but i'm sold on the i/o know that i'm used to it.we couldn't decide untill the last second as our boat was being built on the 502/jet or the 6.2i/o.- tuff coice. only u can tell what you'll like more. we'll be at elsinore either sat or sun. maybe we'll see yuh there? What, how'd my boat get out there? :D Wasn't me Bordsmnj...I don't have lakelice anymore. Drove thru the area on Saturday to the Corona/Ontario boat showrooms but have never been on Elsinore---I don't particularly like green water :confused:
Thanks for the offer to ride in your boat, if in the same area then I may take you up on it. I've had a jet for so long now its like trying to give away your best friend. I love the simplicity of the jet, safety, shallow water operation and fun you can have whipping it around....on the other hand, I wish I could get a little more top end and fuel economy.
You apparently had both and sounds like you loved the jet but now say you prefer the I/O---whats your main reason for liking it now?
Seems all the builders will give me either 350Mag with Alpha or 454 with any jet pump for same price....so we're like you, last second decision. Performance specs seem to be compatable, fuel useage 1/2 with I/O, although I don't get any out of the hole specs.
Any more input is greatly appreciated!!

77charger
06-30-2003, 03:13 PM
I can give you a good answer on this.I grew up with a jet and now own an i/o
A jet is better for a smaller boat up to 20ft
shallow water advantage-which is good if you boat in areas below parker
good acceleration
probably cheaper to maintain also
cool rooster tail
Now i just bought an i/o 21 elim open bow
takes less hp to get more mph only have a 350 mag and get 59-60mph w/ 270hp jet needs 400 in same boat
rides really good-trim it up and it walks over wakes
gas milage is kick ass
very quiet too
I really wont go into cons about both types of propulsion but quickly a jet burns alot more gas and takes more power to go fast and the i/o can cost more to repair EX-i just had to replace the y pipe for my exhaust and it cost me 830 bucks now if it was ajet i would have done myself but on the i/o i didnt have the time to fix correctly.
IMO for runinig the river south of parker which is very nice a jet would do best but to me a jet should be used in smaller boats 19 and under then you can get good top speeds 65-70 easily as well as acceleration plus you can get over the shallow water
But if you plan on lakes,bigger loads,bigger boat21 and up i/o is the way to go
BTW to those that think i am still a jetboat sell out well too bad :D i had one all my life so i do know something about them :D argue
[ June 30, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: 77charger ]

HARDIN18
06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
I like the response out of a jet. You punch it and before you know it yor at full speed. All of my friends have I/O's and they have there good points too. I just don't like how slow I/O's pick up speed.

bordsmnj
06-30-2003, 04:32 PM
well 77 charger pretty much nailed it. also the low speed handle out through the no wake zone or dropping someone at the dock cannot be beat-not a fish tail in site. when you get into 21'+range fuel economy is greater than 1/2 for the i/o
from needles to the sandbar and back w/lots of screwing around inbetween 10gallons of gas! 45-50 miles an hour for the most part. i shit you not. i thought my fuel gauge was stuck the first time

rivercrazy
06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
If most of your running is going to be 5 feet or more and more lake than river, get the I/O with a 21-22 deadrise bottom. Shockwave Step Skier, Lavey 21 XCS/XTSKI, Howard Sport, Eliminator 215, Essex Vortex will all suit your needs pretty well with an I/O and be very fast with a stock 496 mag or mag ho.
If your going jet and want decent performance, you really are going to need to stay with a low profile 21' or less. The better performing 21' jet boats are those with lesser freeboard and non-cab foward decks. Less weight overall and less weight forward are very important as jets dont have much bow lift. But the lower profile jets 21 or less are going to get beat up during weekends at the lakes....
To me that is the bottom line.
And an I/O will ride better than jet in the same hull. With the bow lift of a I/O your going to be riding up and over those waves that your bow would be slamming into with a jet.
My .02cents
[ June 30, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

sandblasted
06-30-2003, 05:02 PM
rivercrazy:
And an I/O will ride better than jet in the same hull. With the bow lift of a I/O your going to be riding up and over those waves that your bow would be slamming into with a jet.
My .02cents With my place diverter properly trimmed my 21 ft Ultra with a jet rides right over most normal wakes or waves..I don't see a difference there between a jet or I/O on the same hull. To me the biggest difference is the better fuel economy and top speed with an I/O, but a stock I/O will never beat the punch of a jet out of the hole...

77charger
06-30-2003, 05:16 PM
rivercrazy:
My .02cents You wouldnt be using the ride in my boat to compare to your old jet now would you! :D :D same hull bottoms

rivercrazy
06-30-2003, 08:25 PM
I can tell ya that Charger77 has the same exact bottom (the same 18 degree 4 strake rounded keel hull that is used by just about every mfg) I had with my jet. He has a 350 mag IO and I had a 454 mag with AT309 pump and a place diverter.
His boat rides way better than mine did. And it went faster too....And I bet mine was heavier.
Just my experience so far.

topless
06-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, why would you want anyones opinion anyway? Opinions are just like assholes, everyone has one, except for the married women. They have two. :D :D :D :D

SoCalOffshore
06-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Quite a perplexing question. Many pro's and con's for each. The others have expressed sound and convincing views for each. My only advice is to....

SoCalOffshore
06-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Buy one of each. jawdrop

Trash
06-30-2003, 10:26 PM
One other subtle item to consider regarding ride quality. Do not simply rely on deadrise. It is a combination of deadrise and beam-to-boat length ratio(aspect ratio). Take the following example. Hull "A" is 21 feet long, with a 18 degree deadrise and a 7 foot beam. Hull "B" is also 21 feet long, has an 18 degree deadrise but has an 8 foot beam. Both hulls are identical except for beam. Hull "B" will probably plane faster given the same power but will also ride a little harder in the chop due to its increased surface area. Sooo, a 20 degree deadrise boat may or may not ride better than an 18 degree deadrise boat depending on aspect ratio. Problem is there is no formula or magical equation that I know of to calculate ride quality using this. Just consider it when making a decision. As always, a test drive like those so graciously offered above is the best method.

bordsmnj
06-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Trash brings interesting physics to light.
here's another thing.hull a and b are the exact same mold one has a 350 alpha the other a 454 jet witch one ways 200 lbs more than the other?
one comes with two 25 gal. tanks mounted in the sides of the boat(the jet) the i/o more than likely ha sone 30plus gallon tank in the center(all it needs)
now we get to trimming the things out under way i know the drivetrim i VERY responsive at most speeds can't say i know a whole hell of a lot about diverters but i don't thing they do as much.
so yeah after thinkin' about it i hafta agree with river crazy they don't ride the same
one more thing some times that 15 mph differencs at top end will be the difference between smashing through the chop and running right accross the top of it. that was my first pleasant surprise about the i/o. On the other hand i have slipped off the top of my boat(DUH)and jammed my toes into the top of the outdrive which although floating was in the "trailer" position-way up. thought i broke a couple toes and luckily didn't get the prop!

Jbb
07-01-2003, 03:07 AM
dreaded double :mad:
[ July 01, 2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

Jbb
07-01-2003, 03:07 AM
SoCalOffshore:
Buy one of each. jawdrop Exactly...Thats what I did..
[ July 01, 2003, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

Ziggy
07-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input so far---its a baffling decision to make..the fuel economy issue is probably the one that'll sway me the most.
I was wondering if the extra hookup that the I/O gets would in fact improve the ride since it does create more bow lift...most recently my rides accross Havasu in my jet have made me realize that because I've been coming out of contact with the water...nor do I want to float a valve cause it revs up for that nano-second. Thanks Rivercrazy and 77Charger for your input to that quiry.
Its hard to think I might give up the tail- :confused:
Keep the comments coming everyone---and thanks.

Ziggy
07-01-2003, 09:44 AM
topless:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want anyones opinion anyway? Opinions are just like assholes, everyone has one, except for the married women. They have two. :D : :D You're a funny one Topless(and you got smilies on the post)--guess my wife has got two then...although mine talks more than hers.

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Ziggy:
Thanks to everyone for their input so far---its a baffling decision to make..the fuel economy issue is probably the one that'll sway me the most.
I was wondering if the extra hookup that the I/O gets would in fact improve the ride since it does create more bow lift...most recently my rides accross Havasu in my jet have made me realize that because I've been coming out of contact with the water...nor do I want to float a valve cause it revs up for that nano-second. Thanks Rivercrazy and 77Charger for your input to that quiry.
Its hard to think I might give up the tail- :confused:
Keep the comments coming everyone---and thanks. Never give up the tail man! NEVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eliminatedsprinter
07-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Warlock makes a 21 footer with 20 degree deadrise that got 63 mph in a jet with a stock 502 and strong acceleration. The boat mags praised it for strong rough water ride and a bit more room and freeboard than most 21 footers. I've seen it at the boat show and it looks pretty tough....
If it got 60-65 with a 502 it might be interesting to see if you can get a test ride in one with a 496 ho.
Just a thought :cool:

riverrunner
07-01-2003, 10:26 AM
eliminatedsprinter:
Warlock makes a 21 footer with 20 degree deadrise that got 63 mph in a jet with a stock 502 and strong acceleration. The boat mags praised it for strong rough water ride and a bit more room and freeboard than most 21 footers. I've seen it at the boat show and it looks pretty tough....
If it got 60-65 with a 502 it might be interesting to see if you can get a test ride in one with a 496 ho.
Just a thought :cool: I call BS. There is no way that boat does anywhere near 63 with a stock 502. Maybe 53MPH. I don't think there is a single 21' V that will do 63 with a stock 502 jet and I know that the Warlock won't!
[ July 01, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: riverrunner ]

al cole'holic
07-01-2003, 10:32 AM
riverrunner:
eliminatedsprinter:
Just a thought :cool: I call BS. There is no way that boat does anywhere near 63 with a stock 502. Maybe 53MPH. I don't think there is a single 21' V that will do 63 with a stock 502 jet and I know that the Warlock won't! Here come the claws, comin out hot :D

riverrunner
07-01-2003, 10:38 AM
al cole'holic:
Here come the claws, comin out hot :D [/b][/QUOTE]
I'm not trying to start anything, just stating a fact. If there is a 21' Warlock that does 63 with a 502, then it isn't stock. That is a big and heavy boat that does not perform as well as most of the other 21' boats on the market with the 18 degree bottoms.

SCUBA STEVE
07-01-2003, 10:43 AM
I havent gps'd my top speed with a light load yet, but my speedo topped out at 60mph,when I was first breaking her in. I would imagine I am at around 55-58mph max. But no where close to 63mph.
I am with you on this one riverrunner.
I plan on using the gps thursday morning, with a light load, (only 2 full ice chests) & I hope the weather condintions are good too. :D

eliminatedsprinter
07-01-2003, 12:23 PM
That figure was from Hot Boat mag's Oct 1999 issue. In their Jet Jam 99 article (p 48-49). They (Hot Boat) claimed to have got it at 63.9 mph (radar)and the boat supposedly had a stock 502 mag with 400 pump hp. Hot boat said they got it from 0-30 in 5.73 sec, 0-40 in 9.42, and 0-50 in 16.42.
According to Hot Boat the only options the boat had were, the 502, place diverter, droop snoot, and powder coated valve covers to go with it's wild purple gel coat. The boat was a 1999 21 LXI and at the time it's price, as tested, was $37,350. :p
Don't worry I believe little of what I read. wink However, after a rave review like the one they gave it, I would guess it's worth a test ride idea
[ July 01, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

riverrunner
07-01-2003, 01:15 PM
I knew you had to have got your numbers from somewhere. I believe there had to be soemthing done to that motor to get those numbers. I would be willing to bet anybody that the same boat with an actual stock 502 (410 HP) will not even break 60 MPH, probably not even 55 MPH.

eliminatedsprinter
07-01-2003, 01:47 PM
riverrunner:
I knew you had to have got your numbers from somewhere. I believe there had to be soemthing done to that motor to get those numbers. I would be willing to bet anybody that the same boat with an actual stock 502 (410 HP) will not even break 60 MPH, probably not even 55 MPH. I agree.
However, I have seen some well set-up jets that do much better than they should.
My sister and Brother-in law have a Commander 20.5 ft sunstreaker, that gets amazing speed (For a base marine power 454) and gas mileage (for a jet). Because it is apparently very well dialed in with it's droop snoot and diverter etc..
Who knows? perhaps Warlock did some sneakey internal engine mods, or perhaps they gave it's set-up a little more work, attention, and testing etc before they sent it to them. Perhaps Hot Boat's radar was off. Who knows? Either way they seemed to really love the boat in jet application esp it's rough water handling and ride. They also seemed very impressed with it's interior and use of space (as was I when I saw one at the boat show) esp for a family.

Ziggy
07-01-2003, 02:04 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
[QUOTE]However, I have seen some well set-up jets that do much better than they should.
My sister and Brother-in law have a Commander 20.5 ft sunstreaker, that gets amazing speed (For a base marine power 454) and gas mileage (for a jet). Exactly what my current boat is(commander sunstreaker)sans the droop... Speedo shows at WOT and an average load 59-60mph...on GPS I'd assume a little less....but ya gotta work pretty hard for it and keep it pointed straight, especially if there's some bigger chop(then head to the fuel station and the dentist). :mad:
I'm less interested in going much faster than being able to have some ride comfort and fuel effeciency at 50+mph.

eliminatedsprinter
07-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Ziggy:
eliminatedsprinter:
[QUOTE]However, I have seen some well set-up jets that do much better than they should.
My sister and Brother-in law have a Commander 20.5 ft sunstreaker, that gets amazing speed (For a base marine power 454) and gas mileage (for a jet). Exactly what my current boat is(commander sunstreaker)sans the droop... Speedo shows at WOT and an average load 59-60mph...on GPS I'd assume a little less....but ya gotta work pretty hard for it and keep it pointed straight, especially if there's some bigger chop(then head to the fuel station and the dentist). :mad:
I'm less interested in going much faster than being able to have some ride comfort and fuel effeciency at 50+mph. That's why I suggested the Warlock. It has a lot more interior space and freeboard along with a rep for a smooth solid rough water ride.
It sounds like you should check some boats out in both jet and stern drive and see which you like best. idea
P.S. My sister's sunstreaker's numbers are a little better than those you mentioned for yours (perhaps the droop snoot helps) and the ride and stability are pretty good for a boat with such a shallow v. But the numbers you posted are also pretty good for a stock jet. :D
P.P.S. I hope this is helpful. Good luck in your looking. :D

Trash
07-01-2003, 08:33 PM
One more item to add regarding ride quality. Props can make a difference in ride quality as was alluded to earlier. I once ran a large (for a small block) Mach Patriot (15 inch diameter by 22 inch pitch) when testing props once. Motor was loaded up and could only get to 4400 rpm, but what I also noticed was the tremendous stern lift and a somewhat softer ride.

Froggystyle
07-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Superspam here...
I am still selling my very well set up 21' jet. Just dropped the price too!
www.tridentboats.com/21xs (http://www.tridentboats.com/21xs) if you want to take a look. As it sits for under $50K.
Plus, I think you saw it at OP6. Probably not going to beat that price with a stick either. Turn key, 70+ (way +) guaranteed or your money back.
Let me know...

Phat_Kat
07-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Froggystyle:
Superspam here...
www.tridentboats.com/21xs (http://www.tridentboats.com/21xs) if you want to take a look. As it sits for under $50K.
Plus, I think you saw it at OP6. Probably not going to beat that price with a stick either. Turn key, 70+ (way +) guaranteed or your money back.
Let me know... Froggy,
what kind of HP #'s you got there?

Froggystyle
07-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Phat_Kat:
Froggystyle:
Superspam here...
Let me know... Froggy,
what kind of HP #'s you got there? Tough to say with any accuracy at this point. I would say that in excess of 650hp is conservative.