PDA

View Full Version : Does this new image center suck ass or what?

andy01
02-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Register, log in??? What the F**k? Does Hot Boat not think people can have one hundred accounts to post pics under? Is this the next step in policing the site? Every pic I have tried to upload gives me the "file size is to big" crap. I tried to upload a pic that is already in there and it says that? I was talking to somebody else about it and they to thought it sucked! Are we the only ones?
Andy

Banshee
02-25-2003, 07:01 PM
I tried to use my user name and password that I use here on the boards but it didn't work? I had to re-register but I never got a confirming email. 24 hours later, I tried my user name and password and it works so who knows?
I think Hot Boat should make it so us boarders can use our current user name. Also need to have more links back to the main page from the media center and from the boards.

***boat
02-25-2003, 07:03 PM
The username and password stuff is to allow you to create a members gallery. The with the old image center a large group of people could not post at all because they were not using internet explorer. The current image center has some problems, and I am working to fix them or just plain make it work the way people want. That said, if you are having a problem or there is something you want changed, either post it in the site improvement section or e-mail me.
Computers and especially websites do not always look or work the same for any given two people. If something is broken please send me an email. If something is giving an error message please send me an email. http://www.***boat.net/contact.cfm is the best place to contact me.
I will go take a look at the max file size right now. The cap on that should be around 5megs to allow video upload. If you need to upload a file bigger than that contact me.

superdave013
02-25-2003, 07:24 PM
I like it myself.

***boat
02-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Ok I upped the limits for file sizes and so on. I also relaxed the registration rules a bit. You still need to create a login name, but I cut out the email verification process.
As far as the two different logins here is the process and the problem.
The forum software is UBB.Classic created by InfoPop. UBB.Classic stores all of your posts as text files on the server. It also stores all of your member information the same way. This is not a quick way of doing things and if I could go back to 2000 when the site was launched I would have chosen some different software. Probably UBB.Threads. The problem with text files is that they are not easily integrated into other systems. The only way that I could really do that might be to write a script that would read all 5000 some text files and convert them into XML or something. Then it would also have to identify new user files as they are created and scan them as well.
The image post software works with a SQL database to maintain its members records. This is much easier and faster to work with and if I could pull the user information from the text files it would be very easy to write a script to place them in the SQL database.
The problem is the site is running two completely different systems that need integrating.
The reason I am not doing this now is simple. Everyone is a little jumpy from the changes earlier this month and I want to give everyone time to digest things and calm down. For now I am going to be working on other parts of the site most importantly the error handling and logging so I know when something breaks.
[ February 25, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: ***boat ]

TOBTEK
02-25-2003, 07:28 PM
superdave013:
I like it myself. BROWN NOSER :D :D
I have tried and it keeps saying that the file is to large? dont know used to work :confused:

andy01
02-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Hot Boat I must hand it to you on this one!! That is one hell of a responce time! This it the pic that I was trying to upload........ http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/522/168PICT0864-med.JPG

JetBoatRich
02-25-2003, 07:36 PM
service with a smile there ***boat

***boat
02-25-2003, 07:51 PM
Hardly a smile. I just had a wisdom tooth ripped out about 10 hours ago.

Jordy
02-25-2003, 07:53 PM
***boat:
Hardly a smile. I just had a wisdom tooth ripped out about 10 hours ago. Just one? You should have at least gotten some good drugs out of the deal right? :D I had mine done last October. It sucked.

cyclone
02-25-2003, 07:54 PM
i havent had any problems and i'm pretty much computer-stupid.

Mandelon
02-25-2003, 07:55 PM
"I just had a wisdom tooth ripped out about 10 hours ago. "
Its fun to find food in the holes for the next 2 months....Little snacks wink
[ February 25, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

***boat
02-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Odd as it may seem I only had one wisdom tooth. I am also in the Military so I got 4 vicodin and a bunch of motrin. Military is not big on giving a whole bunch of drugs because they expect me to be back at work tomorrow morning. My buddie got 4 teeth removed in Virgina about 3 years ago and they only gave him some Tylenol.

Sleek-Jet
02-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Mandelon, I was wondering where you found food in you computer. :D :D
[ February 25, 2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

WetWillie
02-25-2003, 08:12 PM
racingrascal:
Hot Boat I must hand it to you on this one!! That is one hell of a responce time! This it the pic that I was trying to upload........ http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/522/168PICT0864-med.JPG Rascal,
What you got there?? Engine cover I assume. Is that thing almost done or what!
WW :confused:

Chief 2 Wings
02-25-2003, 08:21 PM
IN THE TOOTH SOCKET DOINK! :D

Chief 2 Wings
02-25-2003, 08:23 PM
OH! they do have a scratch, sniff, peel and eat monitor if you got the bucks DOINK :D

77charger
02-25-2003, 08:54 PM
i hate it too.what sucks the most is that i lost some cool pics and i wish i would have known that they were going to get deleted so i could have saved them to my hardrive.i di manage to find a few but got sick of seeing THE SAME PICS ON EVERY PAGE. :mad:

JetBoatRich
02-25-2003, 08:56 PM
I agree, the pictures are all over the place in no order. All dated the same, so you can't look by date?

Kilrtoy
02-25-2003, 08:58 PM
I agree that it is all screwed up, but atleast Hot boat is listening and correcting the problems in a timely manner, now I am able to upload pics....

superdave013
02-25-2003, 08:58 PM
TOBTEK:
superdave013:
I like it myself. BROWN NOSER :D :D
I have tried and it keeps saying that the file is to large? dont know used to work :confused: The old one kept loosing my favs and the search didn't find all my pics. I like this one only because I get my own space.

MikeF
02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
I tried downloading some pic's only to not have them get posted into my gallery!? :confused:

***boat
02-25-2003, 09:37 PM
When you put pictures in the image center you are uploading pictures. If they are not showing up in your gallery email me the username you used to sign up.
Craig

Beautiful Noise
02-25-2003, 09:44 PM
I've down loaded some Picture's to the image center (V-Drive) but I can't seem to post them in the Forum's for some reason I Right Click and go to Properties but it give's me the Wrong URL?
Steve
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=12237&papass=&sort=1&thecat=524
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=12237&papass=&sort=1&thecat=524
[ February 25, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Beautiful Noise ]

Oldsquirt
02-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Beautiful Noise, do you mean this pic?
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/524/29Boat1-med.jpg
Are you sure you had the curser over the pic when you clicked "properties"?

Beautiful Noise
02-25-2003, 09:58 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
Beautiful Noise, do you mean this pic?
Are you sure you had the curser over the pic when you clicked "properties"? OldSquirt...Here I go again...lol.I can only click around the picture in order to get properties's same problem I had the last time I can't Right click directly on the Picture's :(
Steve

Craig
02-26-2003, 03:45 AM
I like it because all the pic's I post are together. I've posted boat and motor pics in the past. But when I want to put them on a response again, I could never find them easily. Now they're all together. Just wish we could save some small mpegs there as well.

Seadog
02-26-2003, 06:44 AM
HB, for those of us with macs that can't right click to get properties, do you have suggestions on how to reference pics?