PDA

View Full Version : The weekend damage... help

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know of a good gel coat repair shop I can go to? This is what happens when a pantoon boat runs into at about 10mph. Image #1 is the impact side, #2 is from the impact pushing me into someones prop. cry
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/366Boat_Damage_1-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/366Boat_Damage_3-med.jpg

HavasuDreamin'
04-07-2003, 11:20 AM
www.havasubarney.com (http://www.havasubarney.com)
Nuff Said.
boxed
One more thing........Pontoon Boats with stupid drivers....... :mad: :mad: :mad:
[ April 07, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Nubbs
04-07-2003, 11:27 AM
I always use Sher-Fab for my fiberglass stuff. If they can't do the repair, they can recommend you to someone. (877) 921-5206. They're located in Norwalk on Carmenita.
As far as the damage, I feel for you. That would make me sick if it were my boat.

Reaper1
04-07-2003, 11:31 AM
That sucks man!!! How did this happen? I know theres a story behind this. :mad:

Windy
04-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Bummer....I know how you feel though. I got off work yesterday to find someone hit my car and took off :(
To top it off I wasnt even suppose to work yesterday.
Barney will hook you up.
Good luck,
MissHBjet

HavasuDreamin'
04-07-2003, 12:14 PM
MissHBjet:
Bummer....I know how you feel though. I got off work yesterday to find someone hit my car and took off :(
MissHBjet That sucks. I had that happen to me twice when I lived in Chicago. The streets are narrow and I lived 1/2 block from Bar central. That didn't bode well for my truck. :( It is all fixed now though....... :)

spectratoad
04-07-2003, 12:15 PM
My gel and glass is on my list of things to do and I am looking at Havasu Barney also. Been looking at the pics of projects that have been in his shop and have heard all good stuff. And I have always heard that if he says you will have it Friday you will get it Friday of maybe even Thursday. Kind of critical when it is boating season. :D

Hermosa
04-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey, you have a new boat, bring it back to Aftershock and see how they treat you now that they have your money.... I would imagine that the pontoon driver's insurance is paying for the repair. If Aftershock is a standup company, I'm sure they will fix you up quickly. Sorry to see damage to your new boat, the first scratch is always deep...

RiverToysJas
04-07-2003, 12:34 PM
That SUCKS!!!
Steve, I thought your boat was brand new? If so, the only place I'd take it is the builder!!!! Even if it's not that old, and just new to you, I'd call them first. Insurance should handle it though.
RTJas
[ April 07, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Tom Brown
04-07-2003, 12:40 PM
This guy seems to be happy with his gel repair (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002394)
Make sure you scroll down to see what Just4Fun wrote about the rapair. :)
[ April 07, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Reaper1:
That sucks man!!! How did this happen? I know theres a story behind this. :mad: I was coming out of copper canyon, wiggling around other boats, which is a bitch with a jet drive. I was coming close to some boats near the rock in the middle of the canyon, killed the engine, so I could just push off of the boat I was coming close to, as I was doing that, this pantoon came out of no where and just rammed into me. I was in that drivers face in less then a second telling him to kill his engine. He still had the engine on for some reason? What a dope. He claimed that he didnt have any control of the boat?? I am just happy that no one got hurt. The lesson I learned is beware of rentals & carry a pencil/pen & paper with you at all times.

Formula Dude
04-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Steve,
Hallett, Schiada & other boat builders have their customers boats (overflow) worked at this place.
Orange County Boat Repair
Gelcoat & Fiberglass Repair
8351 Monroe Ave
Stanton, CA 90680
714-827-6247
Ask for Salvador Sr. he's the owner. My next door neighbor has a Ski Nautique with similar type of damage. These guys did an outstanding job. I also had some work done on my boat, looked great. If insurance is involved, they will take care of it also. They are south of the 91 fwy on Beach. Hope this helps.

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Yes the boat is new, I would love to take it to havasu barney, unless I am blind, I didnt see a # or address on the site? I also kind of wanted to stay local if I could. I already put a call into Aftershock, lets see if they return my call. SHER FAB is very local for me thanks nubbbs, I'll check them out as well. The guy who hit me rented the pantoon, NO insurance. I called the rental place FUN IN THE SUN RENTALS, Jim there was very helpful giving me all the info on the guy who hit me. Jim said he is not liable for the accident, that the operator is. Well it will be up to my insurace co to seek him out and nail him for the damages. I just want my boat fixed.
Later on I'll post some of the spring break pic's!!

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Formula Dude:
Steve,
Hallett, Schiada & other boat builders have their customers boats (overflow) worked at this place.
8351 Monroe Ave
Stanton, CA 90680
714-827-6247
Ask for Salvador Sr. he's the owner. My next door neighbor has a Ski Nautique with similar
type of damage. These guys did an outstanding job. I also had some work done on my boat, looked great. If insurance is involved, they will take care of it also. They are south of the 91 fwy on Beach. Hope this helps. THANK YOU

Tom Brown
04-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Havasu Barney
1950 Commander Drive #106
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
928-505-8678

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
MissHBjet:
To top it off I wasnt even suppose to work yesterday.
Barney will hook you up.
Good luck,
MissHBjet I hope the damage wasnt too bad.

Tom Brown
04-07-2003, 01:11 PM
MissHBjet:
Bummer....I know how you feel though. I got off work yesterday to find someone hit my car and took off :( Don't let some scum bag who is too spineless to stay at the accident ruin your day. Cars are fixable. At least he didn't hit you and hurt you. :)

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Tom Brown:
Havasu Barney
1950 Commander Drive #106
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
928-505-8678 thanks for the info, I am going to call them in a few.

RiverTime69
04-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Hey Scuba Steve,
I was there and saw the whole thing!!! I was on the Pontoon next to the one you were pushed into. I have the guy's CF#s.
CF 6075 KW
I am happy to help in any way I can. DumbAss should have paid more attention to what he was doing.

RiverTime69
04-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Also, if that was a rental...the rental company is responsible for the damage to your boat. They will have to go after the guy who did it on their own. (They'll just hit his credit card for your damage.) If he owned the boat, pray for insurance...Otherwise, you'll have to hunt him down through his CFs and sue in Small Claims.

Reaper1
04-07-2003, 01:35 PM
RiverTime69:
Hey Scuba Steve,
I was there and saw the whole thing!!! I was on the Pontoon next to the one you were pushed into. I have the guy's CF#s.
CF 6075 KW
I am happy to help in any way I can. DumbAss should have paid more attention to what he was doing. That's what I like about this board. Good looking out for a fellow boater. wink

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 01:46 PM
RiverTime69:
Hey Scuba Steve,
CF 6075 KW
I am happy to help in any way I can. DumbAss should have paid more attention to what he was doing. Rivertime69, thanks for the info & the help. I was hoping some one else on the boards was there and saw it go down. Because other then the people on my boat I didnt have any witness's. It was a rental, according to the rental co, they are not liable for anything that goes on in copper canyon. I still have to see what the claims adjuster tells me. Thanks again if I need your help as a witness, I'll p/m you. :D
Boy the operator of the pantoon deserved a good beat down. Im sure you seen the anger I had. But that would have caused more problems down the road.

boatnam2
04-07-2003, 02:08 PM
i think barney does great work but i would take it to aftershock since it is new and have them fix it.make your they throw an extra few bucks in to cover the deductible.

NashvilleBound
04-07-2003, 02:10 PM
If you need any more help locating this dumbass just let me know. As long as you have his name or a little info we can track him down for sure...guarenteed! as long as you invite us to the whoop-ass meeting :D argue
[ April 07, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 02:13 PM
boatnam2:
i think barney does great work but i would take it to aftershock since it is new and have them fix it.make your they throw an extra few bucks in to cover the deductible. Yeah if aftershock cant to it in a timely manner I think barney is going to be the winner.

Windy
04-07-2003, 02:45 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
I hope the damage wasnt too bad. Not too bad, but I plan on getting it fixed without going through insurance. This is my first brand new car.

Windy
04-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Tom Brown:
Don't let some scum bag who is too spineless to stay at the accident ruin your day. Cars are fixable. At least he didn't hit you and hurt you. :) I was bummed out yesterday...but Im over it today wink

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 02:52 PM
RiverDave:
Damn Scuba, I can only imagine how big the guys eyes were when you jumped up out of the drivers seat.. LOL
All you'd need is some green paint and a torn shirt, and you mind as well have "The Hulk" being pissed at ya.. :D
River"would rather hit somebody elses boat other then Scuba Steve's"Dave :D Too funny RD, I am not at peak form yet, but Im sure I will be by June 21'st. So you better watch out LOL.

gmnhra
04-07-2003, 02:53 PM
i have experience with both havasu barney and sal at o.c. boat repair...
if you have to stay local...sal and his crew did good work on my old hallett a few years back..
recently, i had barney do some work on my daytona and he knows his stuff, takes pride in his work, meets deadlines, and is a kick to hang out with...
its worth the drive to havasu...
gm

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 02:54 PM
MissHBjet:
SCUBA STEVE:
I hope the damage wasnt too bad. Not too bad, but I plan on getting it fixed without going through insurance. This is my first brand new car. Some times it is a hassle getting things fixed through the insurance, the bodyshop always puts the insurance customers in the back of the line for some reason??

bakerman
04-07-2003, 02:56 PM
So it sound's like every body has had bad luck I fill for ya! i have a 66 ford f-250 about 3 weeks ago painted after a 2 year resto. and on the 3rd of april parked on my street getting ready to lic. and ins on the 4th. and someone started at the drivers side rear cornerpanel and went all the way to the front bumper and caved it all in with there truck and left befor i could get a lic # but i did get a mold # of of a turn signal light for a 94 to 96 chevy pickup but the police officer said that it didn't help so all my time and money is shot to hell and gone life sucks sometimes!!!!!!! cry

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 03:03 PM
NashvilleBound:
If you need any more help locating this dumbass just let me know. As long as you have his name or a little info we can track him down for sure...guarenteed! as long as you invite us to the whoop-ass meeting :D argue [/b]
I have his name and AZ license #. For now the whoop ass meeting will have to be on hold. Lets see how nice I will be when I ask for the deductible $. argue

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 03:07 PM
bakerman:
So it sound's like every body has had bad luck I fill for ya! i have a 66 ford f-250 about 3 weeks ago painted after a 2 year resto. and on the 3rd of april parked on my street getting ready to lic. and ins on the 4th. and someone started at the drivers side rear cornerpanel and went all the way to the front bumper and caved it all in with there truck and left befor i could get a lic # but i did get a mold # of of a turn signal light for a 94 to 96 chevy pickup but the police officer said that it didn't help so all my time and money is shot to hell and gone life sucks sometimes!!!!!!! cry DAM, That just isnt right! Some people just have no shame. Im sure who ever hit your truck, will get whats coming to them. Maybe you wont see it first hand, but what comes around goes around.

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
gmnhra:
i have experience with both havasu barney and sal at o.c. boat repair...
if you have to stay local...sal and his crew did good work on my old hallett a few years back..
recently, i had barney do some work on my daytona and he knows his stuff, takes pride in his work, meets deadlines, and is a kick to hang out with...
its worth the drive to havasu...
gm yeah I want to get it done right, seems like majority rules. A nice 5 hr drive isnt that bad.
On the way back I can leave my annual deposit in Laughlin.
THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR INPUT. :D

bordsmnj
04-07-2003, 03:15 PM
seing as how everyone else already told yuh about the guy in stanton and about havasu barney i'll just say that it Fu@$ing sucks to see that happen. you too mrs hbjet. that crap realy makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up! Way to keep yur wits about yuh steve.(dodn't know if i coulda controlled myself with my little dog complex and all :D ) make sure you keep us posted. i'm very interested in this thread.
[ April 07, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

boatnam2
04-07-2003, 03:29 PM
i had the bottom edge of one sponson on my american offshore chipped up the whole length of the boat from bouncing off the bottom of the river.i took it to gs marine, insurance company didnt even bat a eye said they sent a lot of work to greg i dont think they even sent an adjuster there. it was a very easy process.the work was done nice and quick and i was back on the water.

DAB
04-07-2003, 03:32 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
RiverTime69:
Hey Scuba Steve,
CF 6075 KW
I am happy to help in any way I can. DumbAss should have paid more attention to what he was doing. Rivertime69, thanks for the info & the help. I was hoping some one else on the boards was there and saw it go down. Because other then the people on my boat I didnt have any witness's. It was a rental, according to the rental co, they are not liable for anything that goes on in copper canyon. I still have to see what the claims adjuster tells me. Thanks again if I need your help as a witness, I'll p/m you. :D
Boy the operator of the pantoon deserved a good beat down. Im sure you seen the anger I had. But that would have caused more problems down the road. SS, I still don't buy into the "not liable in Copper Canyon", I'd ask for a copy of the rental agreement and it probably warns the customer(if they purchased insurance) that the rental company is not liable for damage that takes place in Copper Canyon, which means the rental co would go after them for damage to either the rental/and or another boat. (very similiar to Houseboats on Mead heading toward the Grand Canyon) Do not let them give you that shit about not being liable. I'd get a copy, and contact the watercraft section of the government in AZ that regulates rentals, and find out exactly where liability lies. If it is with the rental company, try and work this out directly with them before taking it to your insurance company (possible increase next year). Good Luck!
David

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Well I'll keep all of you posted on how it works out and who pays for what. Everyones input is appreciated. Hell part of me just wants to pay for the damages on my own, this way I can have my boat back faster!

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 03:53 PM
bordsmnj:
seing as how everyone else already told yuh about the guy in stanton and about havasu barney i'll just say that it Fu@$ing sucks to see that happen. you too mrs hbjet. that crap realy makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up! Way to keep yur wits about yuh steve.(dodn't know if i coulda controlled myself with my little dog complex and all :D ) make sure you keep us posted. i'm very interested in this thread. Believe me my wife thought I was going to get the guy and tear his head off. But that doesnt solve anything. Only a few things will get me to through a punch.
1. if someone throughs a punch at me.
2. if I have to defend my family for any reason.
3. (new one) if RD Doesnt give me an opv-6 cooler!! LOL :D
One more thing Jason, stayed at hidden palms this weekend, it was cool there. A little far, but a straight shot to the water.

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 04:02 PM
sh** I guess I was making up my own event?? thanks for clearing it up.
Well the boob o meter sounds good. I'll think of something to knock everyones river shoes off.

dcb carrera
04-07-2003, 04:06 PM
I Just picked up my boat on Sat. It had to be repaired after a pontoon boat I was towing hit the back of it.The line broke and when I went around to grab the new line his forward momentum ran into the side of my boat costing me out of my pocket $450.00. Nobody in the pontoon even made an attempt to keep us apart. Question: I towed these people in for two and a half hours Is that beyond the call of duty? Reason he broke down was because he never checked his battery.He knew his battery was bad but never fixed it. One of his friends came by but said he didn't have enough gas to tow them all the way and just left.

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 04:17 PM
dcb/carrera:
I Just picked up my boat on Sat. It had to be repaired after a pontoon boat I was towing hit the back of it.The line broke and when I went around to grab the new line his forward momentum ran into the side of my boat costing me out of my pocket $450.00. Nobody in the pontoon even made an attempt to keep us apart. Question: I towed these people in for two and a half hours Is that beyond the call of duty? Reason he broke down was because he never checked his battery.He knew his battery was bad but never fixed it. One of his friends came by but said he didn't have enough gas to tow them all the way and just left. I have to agree with River Dave on this one.
That sucks. frown

master13
04-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Let us know if you here from AfterShock, and what they will do for you. Nice job on keeping your cool, don't know if could have.

dcb carrera
04-07-2003, 04:49 PM
They gave me fifty dollars, normally I wouldn't taken it but I was pissed about my boat. To add insult to injury I ran out of beer on the way back.

rivercrazy
04-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Formula Dude:
Steve,
8351 Monroe Ave
Stanton, CA 90680
714-827-6247
Ask for Salvador Sr. he's the owner. My next door neighbor has a Ski Nautique with similar type of damage. These guys did an outstanding job. I also had some work done on my boat, looked great. If insurance is involved, they will take care of it also. They are south of the 91 fwy on Beach. Hope this helps. I've seen their work and to date, they are by far the best at repairing gelcoat/glass. I'd take it their. My .02 cents
[ April 07, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

rivercrazy
04-07-2003, 05:13 PM
[ April 07, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

MUDXPRT
04-07-2003, 05:22 PM
The best gelcoat repair business in California is Pat's fiberglass in montclair and Flores boat works in corona. They both should be in the phone book if not call me (909)376-8800.

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 06:25 PM
I am going to give Aftershock a buzz again tomorrow and give them the first crack at fixing the damage. Just to cover my ass froam a warranty stand point.
If they say I can go elsewhere w/o voiding any warranty I have,then I'll probably go eslewhere.
dam this sucks!!! frown

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 06:28 PM
dcb/carrera:
They gave me fifty dollars, normally I wouldn't taken it but I was pissed about my boat. To add insult to injury I ran out of beer on the way back. They could have kicked up some beer along with the 50 spot.

dcb carrera
04-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Good luck with your boat I don't have any idea who fixes gel coat where you live, I do know you won't be happy untill its fixed. That's a sh*ty feeling. Good luck

HavasuBarney
04-07-2003, 07:15 PM
I was in Copper on Saturday, sorry I missed you SS and the pontoon did not. :(
I know it hurts on a new boat but from a repair perspective, it doesn't look too bad. My guess is that Aftershock will fix you right up, I have heard nothing but good things about them as company. Most builders are real good about looking after you after the sale.
If we can help at all, feel free to give us a call.

SCUBA STEVE
04-07-2003, 08:03 PM
HavasuBarney:
I was in Copper on Saturday, sorry I missed you SS and the pontoon did not. :(
I know it hurts on a new boat but from a repair perspective, it doesn't look too bad. My guess is that Aftershock will fix you right up, I have heard nothing but good things about them as company. Most builders are real good about looking after you after the sale.
If we can help at all, feel free to give us a call. Thank you. If aftershock cant take care of me, you'll be hearing from me. Just one question about the insurance claim. My broker said I have to wait for the claims adjuster to call me and that could take up to 72 hrs. :mad:
Can I take it in have the work done and have the insurance co pay me direct, or can I take it in and have the repair shop bill the insurance co direct. The broker said to take the boat out and get some quotes as well. Thats a pain in the ass. How would you handle it? Your input is appreciated. I probably should just wait for the adjust to call me. Better to follow their rules then to get stuck with a bill. frown

Nubbs
04-07-2003, 08:20 PM
HavasuDreamin':
MissHBjet:
MissHBjet That sucks. I had that happen to me twice when I lived in Chicago. The streets are narrow and I lived 1/2 block from Bar central. That didn't bode well for my truck. :( It is all fixed now though....... :) Last August, some idiot egged the side of my pickup. It was gonna cost me $250 to fix it. Fortunately for me, some complete jacka$$ hit my pickup in the grocery store parking lot. I had both repairs done at the same time and the egg spot only cost $175 to fix. Unfortunately, the idiot that hit my pickup in the parking lot didn't leave a note or anything. I had to pay about $800 for that repair. All said and done, I had to pay about $1000 due to the complete incompetence, stupidity, and lack of moral values of two dipshits. :mad: :mad: :mad: Sorry, I got a little caught up in the situation.

HavasuBarney
04-07-2003, 08:54 PM
I agree, Wait for the adjuster. You might get a couple estimates but sometimes that's like pulling teeth with glass shops. Better to let the adjuster direct the play since their paying for it.
Be as sweet and nice as possible with the adjuster also, that person WILL determine your check! :)

Seadog
04-08-2003, 05:22 AM
It amazes me how many people boat without a clue. I could tell tales for hours on mishaps I have seen. Too many rental places let pontoons and jet skis go without an ounce of training. I hope to have my old pontoon sold this week after an orientation cruise. I don't want someone to have my old girl without my making sure they know how to respect her.

Essex502
04-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Last year we were run into by a rented pontoon boat while at the courtesy dock of Windsor's launch ramp. The A'holes were drunk and just laughing about it. My wife was manning the boat while I had gone back to the truck which was quite a walk. When I got back the wife was very upset because the pontoon had hit a corner of the boat taking a chunk out of the gelcoat. She had the presence of mind to get the boat numbers and the rental company. After talking with the owner/manager (Fun-Time rental in Havasu) they stepped right up and took care of the bill with no hassle at all. Even took the boat out of storage for me (Campbell's at the time) and towed it to the glass shop that did the work and returned it to storage. Great finish to a bad experience.
One note...always get the numbers of the boat and talk to the owner of the rental shop. They seriously don't like complaints like this and I would bet that they could be legally responsible for the damages if taken to court. They must have insurance and leveraging that fact should help. In my experience, above, the owner contacted (or so he said) the renter and put the fear of god in them for leaving the area and not taking care of the issue at the time.

SCUBA STEVE
04-09-2003, 10:27 AM
I just got off the phone with Paul at AFTERSHOCK, they are going to take care of my damages. :D
Thank you all for your input and advise. I am curious on how the repair procedure works. :confused:

Mohavekid
04-09-2003, 11:39 AM
SS, sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Wait for the adjuster to look at the damage and write their estimate. If you don't wait, the insurance company may argue that you prejudiced their ability to verify the damages, and refuse to pay the claim.
Be as nice as possible to the appraiser/adjuster. They determine the amount of $$$ you get paid so it's not wise to piss them off.
You should give the adjuster the shop info when they look at the boat and they should be able to reach an agreed price with the shop. From that point all you should need to do is schedule the repairs.
I'm sure the rental company has insurance on this type of thing if the renter doesn't. Don't fall for their line of BS about not being responsible.
You may need to push them a little to step up to their responsibilities.
Good luck.

SCUBA STEVE
04-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Thank you, This adjuster is really pissing me off though. The broker said they can take up to 72 hrs to call me. But dam I cant wait that long. :mad: When my policy runs out I'll pay a little more $ to get better service. Auto club seems to be pretty good. Well I am hoping the timing works out right with the adjuster and the service work. Take it in on Saturday, have the adjuster out to look at it on Monday. If not I'll just pay for it out or my pocket and fight with the insurance co later. I need my boat for the season! I already had to cancel my easter trip. :mad:

Mohavekid
04-09-2003, 01:00 PM
I know this is not what you want to hear right now, but your doing well to have an adjuster look at on Monday.
It's not unusual at all for it to take 7-10 days to get someone out to look at damage on this kind of a claim.
Overall, scheduling and actually having the shop make the repairs will take longer than getting the claim adjuster out and a check cut by the insurance company. :D