HDD :cool:

Boozer
08-04-2003, 08:45 AM
THOR:
I am bidding on some new surround speakers and would like your opinions on:
Cerwin-Vega
Harmon Kardon
Infinity
thanks Model numbers make a big difference. Especially with Vega. Vega has best buy quality and then a higher end quality. Stay away from the best buy type because they sound like sh^& lots of bass but that's about all they are good for. I have a set of Yamaha speakers I could not be happier with. http://www.yamaha.com/images/nsa200xt.gif
These are what I have I can't remember the exact model I have but I have the best Natural Sound towers that were available. In my opinion these are some of the best sounding tower speakers for the money that are available. When watching movies they kick off enough bass that I don't need an extrnal amplified sub (however I intend to get one anyways) and the mids and highs are crystal clear.
I am going to be replacing my center channel and rears with the Yamaha HX series speakers.
Also, what brand reciever are you running and what kind of power is it pushing?

Edmond
08-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Depending on the model but I would go with the Infinitys.I used to sell HK and they had ALOT of problems with their electronics. Cerwin Vegas are loud but probably not the best in terms of sound quality.

jus a baker
08-04-2003, 01:16 PM
three letters ....RBH wonderfull sound

Phat_Kat
08-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Try Klipsch!!! They make hands down the best speakers for your buy. I've owned many sets of speakers and klipsch is all I will ever buy.

I_C_E_Y
08-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Bose
Crystal clear. Sounds better than real.

ROZ
08-04-2003, 01:36 PM
What models are you biding on?
BTW....HDD, I'm confirmimg something with Panasonic before I hit send on your reply email :)

Tom Brown
08-04-2003, 01:36 PM
You're going to buy speakers without listening to them, based only on brand and a Hot Boat recommendation?
Consider packing up a few of your favorite CDs and auditioning some different models and brands. Two years from now when you've lived with sound you're not crazy about long enough, you'll wish you had bought speakers that suit your taste straight off. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a decent speaker.
I wouldn't buy any of the brands you've listed. They don't suit my taste. My advice is to find out what suits your taste and make yourself happy. Hey, if it's just something to make noise, buy the cheapest junk you can find and forget what other people think.
-- Tom
[ August 04, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

ROZ
08-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Tom Brown:
My advice is to find out what suits your taste and make yourself happy. Hey, if it's just something to make noise, buy the cheapest junk you can find and forget what other people think.
-- Tom Absolutely the best way to go about it, but what he's bidding on may not be available anymore....
We need model numbers to see if they're current or not.

Tom Brown
08-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Sorry about that. Perhaps this answer will be more appropriate here...
JM Labs. All other brands are shit.
http://www.focal.tm.fr/new_images/ac_cobalt_fr.jpg
[ August 04, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

ROZ
08-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Tom Brown:
Sorry about that. Perhaps this answer will be more appropriate here...
JM Labs. All other brands are shit. Martin Logan Odyssey and a Descent sub...Enough said! :p :D
http://www.martinlogan.com/images/odyssey_zoom.gif
JM who?...hehehehe :D
[ August 04, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Boozer
08-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Roz what brand would you recommend for a some what inexpensive amplified subwoofer? Like Below $300. My old reciever had a subwoofer output that ran to a reciever powered sub but my new reciever only has an output for an amplified sub.

Tom Brown
08-04-2003, 01:51 PM
ROZ:
Martin Logan Odyssey and a Descent sub...Maybe for a van conversion...

beach gomer
08-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Thor
take a look at Tannoys they are used in indoor and outdoor applications and also commercial app also vary good high end awsome high's

THOR
08-04-2003, 02:00 PM
I believe ROZ knows his shiznit, but he also has much deeper pockets than I do.
I am trying to lose my towers and go with ceiling mount speakers without having to sacrifice sound.

ROZ
08-04-2003, 02:06 PM
So you're looking at inceiling/inwall flushmount speakers, or speakers to hang from a bracket?

Boozer
08-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Some of you guys r f'ing nuts!
I was looking at those JM labs and heres some
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039098422&category=14991
That kinda cash for some speakers is ridiculous.

Tom Brown
08-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Boozer, it doesn't surprise me that you'd look at the Mini Utopias. Leave those light day units to the uninformed. Get yourself a pair of Grande Utopias like a real man would.

ROZ
08-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Boozer:
Some of you guys r f'ing nuts!
I was looking at those JM labs and heres some
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3039098422&category=14991
That kinda cash for some speakers is ridiculous. That's used......
With the exception of a center channel and subs, I'm leaving the furniture speakers behind as well. Going all ceiling speakers.
One day I'll have a dedicated listening room in my house for super highend gear....

THOR
08-04-2003, 02:23 PM
ROZ:
So you're looking at inceiling/inwall flushmount speakers, or speakers to hang from a bracket? I was told that the hanging speakers sound much better since you are able to point them at the listener.
Is this true?
If not, I would love to go with the in-ceiling speakers because it looks clean.

ROZ
08-04-2003, 02:29 PM
THOR:
ROZ:
So you're looking at inceiling/inwall flushmount speakers, or speakers to hang from a bracket? I was told that the hanging speakers sound much better since you are able to point them at the listener.
Is this true?
If not, I would love to go with the in-ceiling speakers because it looks clean. There are many high end speaker MFG's that make adjustable in ceiling speakers. I'll post a couple in a min....

ROZ
08-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Tom Brown:
Boozer, it doesn't surprise me that you'd look at the Mini Utopias. Leave those light day units to the uninformed. Get yourself a pair of Grande Utopias like a real man would. I was thinking these for my 8x10x10 room:
7ft tall and 1800lbs per side
The sub tower http://www.martinlogan.com/art/spgal_statement2_zoom.gif
The dipolar tower
http://www.martinlogan.com/art/spgal_statement1_zoom.gif
Both of these tower go together to make 1 channel. Need 2 of each to make a left and right channel... eek!
Think I'll have too much sound for my little room eek! :D
[ August 04, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

hot_diggity_dog
08-04-2003, 02:39 PM
BTW....HDD, I'm confirmimg something with Panasonic before I hit send on your reply email
You Da Man ROZ, wink :D
So what do you think of my setup so far? :confused: :D
Hot (going large on the new system) Diggity Dog :cool:

Boozer
08-04-2003, 02:42 PM
So let me see here. If I go with you guys audio recommendations I'll have a choice. A $100,000 boat or a home audio system that will be so god damn loud I will have no hearing and my neighbors will hate me.

ROZ
08-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Boozer:
So let me see here. If I go with you guys audio recommendations I'll have a choice. A $100,000 boat or a home audio system that will be so god damn loud I will have no hearing and my neighbors will hate me. Your neighbors will hate you after you fire up that 100k boat anyways :D it's a loose loose situation wink :D

rivercrazy
08-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Out of the 3 you listed, Id say definately the Infinity's. They are in a different class entirely