PDA

View Full Version : Got rear-ended on the way home

78Eliminator
12-11-2002, 08:56 PM
I saw stars when she hit me and my back is a little sore but I'll live. The truck's bumper is bent under. What do I do now? I already called her insurance and they were reluctant to even take my claim because she was drinving someone else's car. Am I gunna get a bundle of cash or are they just going to fix my truck?

Jordy
12-11-2002, 09:04 PM
If you get any money, as a general rule it will be 3 times what your medical bills are. Chances are they will just want to fix your truck and be done with it. Gotta love insurance companies... ugh. Glad your ok bud. :D

78Eliminator
12-11-2002, 09:12 PM
jordanpaulk:
If you get any money, as a general rule it will be 3 times what your medical bills are. Chances are they will just want to fix your truck and be done with it. Gotta love insurance companies... ugh. Glad your ok bud. :D Thanks. The lady was more concerned that she was late for a meeting. She had a 2.5 karat ring on.

Jordy
12-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Should have just taken her ring and called it even. :D

BigDogIvan
12-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Good luck on getting it situated and your truck fixed. I on the other hand have to deal with a dumb sap that had no insurance when he hit me back around the first of november. If I go through my insurance and he does not pay up, My insurance will go through the roof reguardless I have been paying uninsured/underinsured. burningm
BD

hd&boatrider
12-11-2002, 09:19 PM
I am going thru that right now because of my motorcycle crash. A friend of mine on a bike 2 weeks ago got hit on the 405 fwy at night from a rear end impact and she was thrown and hurt pretty bad. The friggin' driver of the car just drove off and did not stop. No witnesses. Count your lucky stars that you were not hurt worse and that the woman had insurance. The truck can be fixed. Probably they will pay for the medical bills, fix your truck and offer you a settlement. If I were you I would contact and attorney, however if you are not really hurt save the 30-35% atty fee and deal with it yourself and the insurance company.
Hope you feel better.

Jordy
12-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey Ivan, your uninsured and underinsured only cover your medical bills if you're hit. The vehicle damage is all covered under your comprehensive coverage, also the highest on your premium breakdown. If you have good health insurance through work you really don't need to beef those two up.
Every time my truck has been hit its been by some jackass with no insurance, and everytime they leave me holding the bag.

missboatnam1
12-11-2002, 09:34 PM
wow, at least your ok!!! defenitly go get checked my a doc tomorrow, things could start happing to your body days from now!!..and its good to have it on record for the ins company!!
good luck!! smilespi

78Eliminator
12-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Well, my poor truck is no longer a virgin. Guess someone was bound to "break" her in.

Slick
12-11-2002, 09:52 PM
YOU DUMBASS!!!!! Being the prince that you are, I'll bet you jumped out of the truck, walked to the gal that hit you and asked "are you okay?" eek! What you should have done is poured yourself out of the truck and crawled to safety screaming in pain and agony for an ambulance. Now we're talkin' new boat. :D
Glad you're presumably okay. Regardless, go see your general practitioner before even thinking about going to a Chiroqwackter. It'll help with any future claims if you have a recommendation.

miller19j
12-11-2002, 10:00 PM
I know its too late now but did you get a Police report?
When you take your car to the body shop get an itemized list of what they are going to fix (and charge you insurance to fix) and when you pick up you truck when they are done, go down the list and check to make sure they did everything on it.. I just got done with a big hassle on Lindsey’s car.

Windy
12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
What a bummer Justin frown

Windy
12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
whooops
[ December 11, 2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: MissHBjet ]

Jordy
12-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Slick:
What you should have done is poured yourself out of the truck and crawled to safety screaming in pain and agony for an ambulance. Now we're talkin' new boat. :D Slick has got the routine down. I'm guessing J did the good Boy Scout move and made sure the girl was ok... that's the right thing to do, but a new boat would be killer too. :D

1tricky1
12-11-2002, 10:23 PM
78Eliminator:
I saw stars when she hit me and my back is a little sore but I'll live. The truck's bumper is bent under. What do I do now? I already called her insurance and they were reluctant to even take my claim because she was drinving someone else's car. Am I gunna get a bundle of cash or are they just going to fix my truck?Yo 78, I am in the insurance business and want to pass on some valueable info to you and everyone else who reads this. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the fact is you will not be getting a bundle of cash for this one, unless you received some permanent scarring on your face, dismemberment or some permanent injury you have live with for the rest of your life. What you have is what we call a "soft tissue" injury. Sure you can be reimbursed for any office visits to the chiropractor, but it's really not even worth your time to try and pursue. Insurance is not designed for claimants or insureds to profit from a loss, only to make you whole again. Which means to bring you and your vehicle back to the way it was prior to the loss. It appears The most important thing is to make sure your truck is fixed properly. Seek coverage thru your own company. It's then their responsibility to get reimbursed from the liable party. That's what you pay them for. Also, Insurance follows the car in Calif. You need to find out who the owner of the other car is and go to his Ins. Co. If you have health Ins. with Chiro covg. it might be easiest to go thru them and submit your bills for reimb.
hope this helps. :cool:

BBTAHITI
12-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Am I gunna get a bundle of cash or are they just going to fix my truck?[/QB]Why would you expect a bundle of cash? Just curious.....

Jordy
12-11-2002, 10:43 PM
Next time, keep a bunch of ketchup packets in the truck, spray them all over yourself and pull your arm inside the sleeve of your shirt... :D :D

1tricky1
12-11-2002, 11:01 PM
jordanpaulk:
Next time, keep a bunch of ketchup packets in the truck, spray them all over yourself and pull your arm inside the sleeve of your shirt... :D :D LOL!!

Jordy
12-11-2002, 11:03 PM
I almost forgot, you have to hit the ground and flop around like a fish out of water... :D

MikeF
12-11-2002, 11:16 PM
You mean it did not catch on fire too burningm j/k
Glad you're OK.
[ December 11, 2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

K3-River-Rat
12-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Hey Bud you will probably feel that accident even MORE tomorrow :( For your sake I hope not but that's "usually" how these things work... Tell us sometime tomorrow afternoon HOW you feel wink OH BTW I was on the "other" side of the ins.co. being in the collision repair business for quite a few years :D I can throw a few pointers your way way if you would like.. Ins.companies CAN be a pain in the ASS... Some of the claims adjusters act as if they are paying the claim out of their OWN pocket :rolleyes: ANY ins. co.(or anyone in the biz) is going to tell you we will only pay to bring things BACK to PRE-accident condition... NOT NOT NOOOO don't let them BULLSHIT you eek! I couldn't tell you how many times things DAMN NEAR come to a FIST FIGHT to get the some of the pricks to PAY to fix the customers vehicle RIGHT :mad: The arguments were sometimes "un****in believable" how some of them wanted you to BUTCHER some poor customers $40,000.00 car just to save the ins.co. some money!! I get pissed off just thinking about it burningm I would be more than happy to help guide you in the right direction so you can at least get your truck fixed PROPERLY wink

Blown 472
12-12-2002, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear you are ok, I got rear ended on friday the thirteenth two years ago. I had the whole soft tissue thing and got my truck fixxed and netted a whole 2500.00. It was a pain in the ass and like what was said earlier you wont get much unless your face is falling off.

THOR
12-12-2002, 06:45 AM
Good thing is your are okay.
Bad thing is insurance companies really dont feel threatened with legal action because that is all they deal with. But, keep on them. I had the same thing happen to me and simply drove my truck to 3 places to get estimates and took all of them directly to the insurance company and handed them to the claims adjuster. She knew they had a problem when the police report cited the driver and already had estimates. MAKE SURE YOU TELL EVERY PERSON INVOLVED IN THIS THAT SHE KEPT RAMBLING ON ABOUT BEING LATE FOR A MEETING. THAT IS HUGE. SHE WAS OBVIOUSLY IN A HURRY.

THOR
12-12-2002, 06:46 AM
hd&boatrider:
I am going thru that right now because of my motorcycle crash. A friend of mine on a bike 2 weeks ago got hit on the 405 fwy at night from a rear end impact and she was thrown and hurt pretty bad. The friggin' driver of the car just drove off and did not stop. No witnesses. Count your lucky stars that you were not hurt worse and that the woman had insurance. The truck can be fixed. Probably they will pay for the medical bills, fix your truck and offer you a settlement. If I were you I would contact and attorney, however if you are not really hurt save the 30-35% atty fee and deal with it yourself and the insurance company.
Hope you feel better.That is total bullshit. Remember that Karma will catch up to that person now or later. That is the good thing.

THOR
12-12-2002, 06:48 AM
K3-River-Rat:
Hey Bud you will probably feel that accident even MORE tomorrow :( For your sake I hope not but that's "usually" how these things work... Tell us sometime tomorrow afternoon HOW you feel wink OH BTW I was on the "other" side of the ins.co. being in the collision repair business for quite a few years :D I can throw a few pointers your way way if you would like.. Ins.companies CAN be a pain in the ASS... Some of the claims adjusters act as if they are paying the claim out of their OWN pocket :rolleyes: ANY ins. co.(or anyone in the biz) is going to tell you we will only pay to bring things BACK to PRE-accident condition... NOT NOT NOOOO don't let them BULLSHIT you eek! I couldn't tell you how many times things DAMN NEAR come to a FIST FIGHT to get the some of the pricks to PAY to fix the customers vehicle RIGHT :mad: The arguments were sometimes "un****in believable" how some of them wanted you to BUTCHER some poor customers $40,000.00 car just to save the ins.co. some money!! I get pissed off just thinking about it burningm I would be more than happy to help guide you in the right direction so you can at least get your truck fixed PROPERLY wink I am being totally serious when I ask this.
How many adjusters actually get their asses kicked?

AZKC
12-12-2002, 08:32 AM
We dont kick their butts, we arrange for little accident's and disappearences argue then their faces end up on milk carton's burningm
KC

rivercrazy
12-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Glad your OK 78.
Are you sure you were not driving through West Hollywood? LOL! Just kiddin ya bud...

cyclone
12-12-2002, 09:08 AM
if you took the ambulance ride int he hospital to get checked out your settlement usually is much higher.

SchellSchock
12-12-2002, 09:29 AM
Get a Lawyer. He or her will tell you which doctor to go to. The 30%-35% they recieve out of the settlement is worth it. Insurance adjusters are the low end of the food chain and once the insurance company knows you mean business they will offer a better settlement. (Only because it is fiscally cheaper to pay than a protracted litigation process). I am not a lawyer nor do I believe in screwing the insurance companies per se. However I do believe they will screw us given the chance so the best defense is a great offense.
Just my nickles worth(inflation and all)

BigDogIvan
12-12-2002, 09:30 AM
jordanpaulk:
Hey Ivan, your uninsured and underinsured only cover your medical bills if you're hit. The vehicle damage is all covered under your comprehensive coverage, also the highest on your premium breakdown. If you have good health insurance through work you really don't need to beef those two up.
Every time my truck has been hit its been by some jackass with no insurance, and everytime they leave me holding the bag.Thats exactly where I stand. Holding the bag. I call this poor sap on a weekly basis and he claims he is saving up to pay me but will not tell me what he has to give me. I'm in the process of getting small claims court invoulved. On the other hand the judge can give all the judgment in the world, It doesn't meen this low life will ever come up with any cash. Thankfully I wasn't hurt nor were my kids that were with me at the time.
BD

HCS
12-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Glad your all right if I base it on my accident it's worth about 15,000 depending on your injuries, Insurance companies fight all injury claims these days it seems like. It took me 2 years to get anything. yuk
[ December 12, 2002, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]

Jordy
12-12-2002, 09:32 AM
How are you feeling today 78?

78Eliminator
12-12-2002, 10:01 AM
jordanpaulk:
How are you feeling today 78?I guess I feel ok. Lower back is sore becuase I think it irritated a motorcycle injury I had a long time ago. Other than that, I'm ok. The adjuster hasn't called me yet. I think I am going to get my insurance company involved if I don't hear from hers today...
Thanks for all the advice people!

1tricky1
12-12-2002, 10:02 AM
I understand everyones frustration with Insurance. It definitely is one of those necessary evils. But let's face if you didn't have it, you'd really be screwed. There is no doubt there are a lot of a$% hole adjusters out there. Besides the fact there are some piss poor insurance companies behind them. There are very few good paying insurance companies out there and fortunately I work for one. I take pride in giving our insured's the best service and repair we can offer. Think about it, what other industry do you take a product (car) smash it to pieces and then the customer expects it to be even better than before and done yesterday. It's a challenging industry...I guess that's why I like it. The personal injury side of it sucks, that's why I'm not involved in it. 78 I'm glad you are ok. Cars can always be fixed.

RPrincez
12-12-2002, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear about you back. I hope the pain goes away soon. The ring would have been nice though.

HCS
12-12-2002, 10:09 AM
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
How are you feeling today 78?I guess I feel ok. Lower back is sore becuase I think it irritated a motorcycle injury I had a long time ago. Other than that, I'm ok. The adjuster hasn't called me yet. I think I am going to get my insurance company involved if I don't hear from hers today...
Thanks for all the advice people!That's exactly what happen to me, I reinjured my lower back that was from a previous motorcycle injury. Make sure they understand that it makes a difference. Even if you settle out of court. frown

Jbb
12-12-2002, 10:22 AM
K3-River-Rat:
Hey Bud you will probably feel that accident even MORE tomorrow :( For your sake I hope not but that's "usually" how these things work... Tell us sometime tomorrow afternoon HOW you feel wink OH BTW I was on the "other" side of the ins.co. being in the collision repair business for quite a few years :D I can throw a few pointers your way way if you would like.. Ins.companies CAN be a pain in the ASS... Some of the claims adjusters act as if they are paying the claim out of their OWN pocket :rolleyes: ANY ins. co.(or anyone in the biz) is going to tell you we will only pay to bring things BACK to PRE-accident condition... NOT NOT NOOOO don't let them BULLSHIT you eek! I couldn't tell you how many times things DAMN NEAR come to a FIST FIGHT to get the some of the pricks to PAY to fix the customers vehicle RIGHT :mad: The arguments were sometimes "un****in believable" how some of them wanted you to BUTCHER some poor customers $40,000.00 car just to save the ins.co. some money!! I get pissed off just thinking about it burningm I would be more than happy to help guide you in the right direction so you can at least get your truck fixed PROPERLY wink I would heartily agree with that ....You must know about the super CAPA parts program ...its why I got out of the collision repair business...got real tired of the arguments and even more tired of paying the difference out of my profit to provide genuine parts that actually fit so the customer would be happy!!!!
Glad you wer not hurt!!
[ December 12, 2002, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

Jordy
12-12-2002, 10:30 AM
HARDCORE-SKI:
Make sure they understand that it makes a difference. Even if you settle out of court. :(It's called the "egg-shell" doctrine. Basically it says that even though you had a previous injury, the fact that this accident reaggrivated it is their responsibility. At the least, see a family doctor and get a prescription to get some physical therapy, at a Healthsouth type of place. It will help you in the end.

Liberator TJ1984
12-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear your OK..

miller19j
12-12-2002, 11:15 AM
78Eliminator:
jordanpaulk:
Thanks for all the advice people!Call yours not hers! Do everything through your insurance that is what they are there for!
Your insurance will protect you interests hers will protect her interest. I have been ****ed hardcore on this I don’t want to see it happen to you!

K3-River-Rat
12-12-2002, 11:45 AM
THOR:
K3-River-Rat:
I am being totally serious when I ask this.
How many adjusters actually get their asses kicked?That's a good question THOR :confused: I have HEARD of a few adjusters that were literally "Physically" throw out the door of a few businesses!! But we all know that is NOT good to do when you are in business :D IF there was an adjuster that was just completely unreasonable they were told to "leave immediatly" and we would contact the company which the person was representing and "negotiate" the situation & simply explain to them we were a "quality" shop that worked on some fairly high dollar vehicles and absolutly would NOT cut corners to save these ins.companies money to do a "half assed" repair on ANY of our customers vehicles wink That is WHY they pay for ins. in the first place and when their vehicle left our shop it WOULD be as good or even BETTER than it was before it was wrecked with NO EXCEPTIONS :D
JETBOAT BRIAN
I got out of the business myself for the same reasons burningm A person could make MORE money in that business in the early to mid 80s than you can make today :confused:
This is one of the FEW businesses that has actually gone BACKWARDS in terms of earning a living :rolleyes:
How many other businesses out there pay a person HALF as much and LESS than what they were making "20" years ago when the cost of living has gone WAY UP in the past 20 years?? That is TOTAL bullshit burningm
I have been waiting for this to turn itself around for a long time now and I'm sure it will EVENTUALLY after TOO MANY people have been injured and killed due to poor repair work because the people that are doing the repairs are being UNDER paid........

Beautiful Noise
12-12-2002, 06:15 PM
RPrincez:
The ring would have been nice though.LMAO............. sqsmile I'm just wondering what finger he would of worn it on :D
Steve

cal-air
12-12-2002, 09:12 PM
By the title of your thread I thought you were coming out of the closet :D