PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you boys....

RiverGirl
01-13-2003, 09:55 AM
What would the boys of HB like to see more of...
-> Offshore Racing
-> Poker Runs
-> Hydros or other
wink :D

HCS
01-13-2003, 10:03 AM
I like it all, even though I'm a waterskier. I can get that fix in other places. :)

Havasu Hangin'
01-13-2003, 10:04 AM
yes.

Liberator TJ1984
01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Suff the average "Joe" or "Joan" can afford and would most likely be seen in. :confused:

Blown 472
01-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Not so much of the big coin rigs, yeah nice to look at, will I ever get one, no.

Dusty Times
01-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Popularity seems to be incresing on poker runs. A few clubs out there that put them on deserve some publicity and recognition.

Spirit of Discovery
01-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Pacific Offshore is partnering with SCOPE to combine the "Pro's" of offshore racing with the Poker Runners. We have 2 Poker Runs on our schedule this year and are hoping to build that into more in the years to come. I think it will make for a very exciting week-end and bring many to our races who might not otherwise be there. I've only been in one poker run and I had a BLAST! If any of you have not ever been, get in touch with SCOPE and do some runs. Much like that bunch that went to Catalina on the 11th, it is a whole bunch of boats making a run and having a big party afterwards!!

Blown 472
01-13-2003, 11:58 AM
That is great idea, they used to do stuff all over the country too.

Froggystyle
01-13-2003, 12:00 PM
I'd say focus on the 3rd option, with others thrown in for good measure.
Leave the big stuff to Powerboat... they leave jets to Hot Boat after all.

69 Elim
01-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Ditto to what RD said, just no off shore stuff.

snappertapper
01-13-2003, 01:05 PM
yes to all

Bow Tie Omega
01-13-2003, 01:14 PM
I agree with River Dave. More River stuff, more of us and our toys. Do not get me wrong, I like looking at the bigger boats too, just not only bigger boats. Quite a few of us are doing some ground up restorations on our boats. Lets start seeing some of those...Just my 2 cents

rick32
01-13-2003, 02:10 PM
We Want:
1) Offshore Racing ( ~ Florida ONLY, popra has no story ~ )
2) Poker Runs ( ~ Non-Geriatric SCOPE Runs Please~ )
3) Hydros, Flats & K- Boats or other.....
4) HB / Flynt Enterprises to put some money behind this and actually make something of it ! .... Come on Larry throw down baby !
5) Hustler gals in Hot Boat...all the time....
6) Cool Hat, T's & Stickers.... The old ones are a too 80's ... drop the neon already..we need an updated look... something say more ..ah .. 2003 for instance.
7) An online store to purchase all this cool stuff.
We Dont Want:
1) Pictures of "old guys" whom call themselves
...er... " Poodles "...????
2) No reports of tugg tugg specials of the week.... " ** Hey members ! great rates on boat refinancing, detailing, wrenching & discounts at the Yardhouse and the fuel pumps........
2a.) Try BOAT US for 29.00 vs. a $ 150.00 membership ...
3) No stupid pictures of ugly girlfriends from LOTO.... We get that monthly in Hustler's
" Beaver Hunt "
*** So Rvrgirl... basically a little bit O' all.....except a few....
Cheer's & Laughs,
Rick32 :cool: :cool: :cool:

lakesmodified
01-13-2003, 03:53 PM
RiverGirl:
What would the boys of HB like to see more of...
-> Offshore Racing
-> Poker Runs
-> Hydros or other
wink :D I didn't see "WOMEN" on your list!

jimmieleeraybob
01-13-2003, 04:57 PM
RiverDave:
When I say history, I'm not talking "town" history, but more of the local legends, Bars, Bartenders, etc.. etc..
But I'm kinda sentimental about all that.
RD I've been sentimental over a few bartenders too!
[ January 13, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: jimmieleeraybob ]

Nstigator74
01-13-2003, 05:15 PM
I want to see more "Hot Boats" and Realistic Rides (under 25 ft). I'm getting kinda sick of manufacturer specific regattas also.

gigamurph
01-13-2003, 06:41 PM
As much as it pains my butt to agree with RD, I gotta agree with him. I'd like to see more of the "local flavor" from each side of the country and in the middle too! I don't think they ned to abandon the whole "big boat" thing; just dedicate a little more coverage to the "River runners" and "lake rods". I, like many, like lookin' at the "high end" of boating, but are impressed with the time and dedication that goes into building it yourself; not just throwin' money at some builder and say "build it; I'll be back". No offense intended! Damn! There goes any chance of catchin' any rides! :)

mmered8299
01-13-2003, 06:55 PM
I want to see Poker Runs with Flat Bottoms ONLY!

LeE ss13
01-13-2003, 07:10 PM
mmered8299:
I want to see Poker Runs with Flat Bottoms ONLY! Yeh yeh yeh !!! And they all start at once in a Lemans Start and the first 10 boats back get extra cards.

HighRoller
01-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Okay,first off,Poker Runs are gay.This is nothing more than an outlet for wanna be racers who couldn't hack it in a real race to show off.ATTENTION Joe poker runner...It's not a race dumbass.What do you think the cards are for?Am I supposed to be impressed by your 40ft Skater blowing away an average 25ft family boat?
I think there should be more focus on the average boater and what he needs.These columnists are supposed to be experts in their fields,so why don't they show us how to do something instead of giving us a half ass answer and a pat on the back.
Now,as far as the river,I have a great amount of reverance and respect for the river,but not just because of the physical beauty of it.I have fond memories of all the places and people I've seen and discovered there,and that to me is the true essence of Hot Boating.Yeah,the boats are bitchin,but what good are they without the people to share the experience?If I had the money I'd start a magazine dedicated to the river life.Maybe I'll petition the folks at GotRiver.com to start up a mag.That sounds good, H.Roller executive editor....

BigBoyToys
01-13-2003, 07:23 PM
I say....D. Other (final answer)

Kwicherbichen
01-13-2003, 11:33 PM
I may soon have a cure for your wants people. You'll have to wait just a bit longer before I unleash it. I'm hoping it will be a start in the direction many of you are talking about. Stand-by

RiverGirl
01-14-2003, 01:37 PM
You're going to tell me offshore racing and performance coverage of million dollar state-of-the-art machines at speeds over 140 mph wouldn't spark an interest.
Some of these are the worlds fastest ocean-going performance and race boats around.
And this is no easy going marine motorsport.
It requires demanding in-sync teamwork from all involved.
Most may never experience the excitement of owning or attending the events.
So, if the excitement were brought to you
you wouldn't be interested?
[ January 15, 2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: RiverGirl ]

Blown 472
01-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Its cool, but nothin better then a big ol nitro burning motor in a crotch rocket boat.

mbrown2
01-14-2003, 02:13 PM
RiverGirl:
You're going to tell me offshore racing and performance coverage of million dollar state-of-the-art machines at speeds over 140 mph wouldn't spark an interest.
Some of these are the worlds fastest ocean-going performance and race boats around.
And this is no easy going marine motorsport.
It requires demanding in-sync teamwork from all involved.
Most may never experience the excitement of owning or attending the events.
So, if the excitement were brought to you
you wouldn't be interested?
I find that hard to believe. I don't find it that hard to believe...most people can't afford them and their projects take on the more modest customized boat....If you look at most hot-rod magazines (HotRod & Car Craft), they are centered around customized projects and events that can be attained by most...not machines that are so far out of reach too the majority of the population of readers. I don't mind looking at Off-Shore boats, but I don't need to see page after page of Poker Runs/Offshore Races....I even get tired of the Hydroplane racing; I think they should dedicate less time to the Hydros and Offshore, and more to the Drags...I already think they cover the Outboards adequately. :)
[ January 14, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Her454
01-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Blown 472:
Its cool, but nothin better then a big ol nitro burning motor in a crotch rocket boat. I know this questions for the guys but heres my .02 anyway and I agree with the above. The offshore boats are incredible to watch and require teamwork but there is nothing to get the blood pumping like the thunder the smaller dragboats produce going down the track. Its two separate types of racing, and watching offshores feels like watching cadillacs race. I can just relate more to the dragboats.

mbrown2
01-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Additional things I would like to see HB cover are projects and modication articles...It is great to see Whipple, SC, and exhaust projects done to real world boats to benchmark claimed performances.
Other items would be trip articles...they did one on Parker several years ago, and that was great. Car magazines do road trips, and tell you all the details of the sites, and wakeboard magazines do road trips as well and tell you about different riding spots in different states and the people they met there during their riding. For some that only boat in one or two states, it gives them the flavor of what is going on in other states from a hot boat perspective. :) :D :)
[ January 14, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Jordy
01-14-2003, 02:20 PM
RiverGirl:
It requires demanding in-sync teamwork from all involved. First we're boys, and now you're making boy band jokes? I thought Nick Carter racing was funded by a Backstreet Boy. :D
I agree with the thoughts that the offshore boats are sweet to look at, but my attention span tends to wane after a couple minutes of watching them run. In the couple of times that they get written up in ***boat, I normally just skim through, check out the pics and go to the next article. Perhaps it's because Offshore Racing isn't commonplace in the Phoenix metro area. :D

Seadog
01-14-2003, 02:31 PM
I think that a 'party cove' type of monthly coverage would be great. Alternate from section to section. i.e. Parker, LOTO and then Lake Champlain. HB could make it easy on theirselves by making it a free lance deal worth a few quid to those who get published. You could even have a contest for best party cove of the year. Winning party cove could have a visit from HB the next summer. It would be a great way to increase visibility to more boaters. idea

69 Elim
01-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Seadog:
I think that a 'party cove' type of monthly coverage would be great. Alternate from section to section. i.e. Parker, LOTO and then Lake Champlain. HB could make it easy on theirselves by making it a free lance deal worth a few quid to those who get published. You could even have a contest for best party cove of the year. Winning party cove could have a visit from HB the next summer. It would be a great way to increase visibility to more boaters. idea I like this "free lance" idea... readers rides and readers EVENTS. :p

miller19j
01-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Seadog:
a free lance deal worth a few quid Are you English?

Seadog
01-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Actually of Scot/Irish descent. For the geneology buffs, my ancient ancestor is mentioned in MacBeth.

Hal
01-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Drag Racing....

miller19j
01-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Seadog:
Actually of Scot/Irish descent. For the geneology buffs, my ancient ancestor is mentioned in MacBeth. It is just that there are not a lot of Americans that use the term “Quid” it through me for a loop.

Backtanner
01-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Let's see I would like...
1. Less manufacturer regattas, more (or at least one) get togethers such as CBBB which hasn't been mentioned or the like.
2. Make Miss Bud disappear, even though so many of us are driving unlimited hydros.
3. More restos and less 100K sales pitches for the few of us that are happy with their current boats but might want to improve their ride.
4. More than 3 reader rides.
5. Partial judges on the next swimsuit issue. That last 'winner' still has me wondering what in the hell they were thinking.

Backtanner
01-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Oh yeah, and more ads for Trident Power Boats. :)

Dusty Times
01-14-2003, 09:10 PM
I wasn't very descriptive on the poker runs I was thinking of. I'm talking about Las Vegas Hot Boats or other clubs like this. There more of a get together of all types and sizes of boats. And the people who own them. Doesn't matter if its a jet, an outboard, v-drive or a big drive hanging out the back. No big hard top poker run boats just real people that like the lakes and river.

VillainDave
01-14-2003, 10:34 PM
I would like to see more of it all!!wether it's live or on ESPN!

LVjetboy
01-15-2003, 03:20 AM
Ok, ok, here's an HBM article clip from the exciting(?) world of offshore racing:
"Keith Eickert Power Products recently announced a major restructuring of its management team in a move to accommodate the company's accelerated growth over the past few months. KEPP has more than doubled its sales and production of high-performance engines and parts since May 2002. The company, Headquartered in Palm Coast, Florida, has established a nationwide network of distributers, reached agreements with several OEM's to manufacture engine and parts, as well as produced KEPP's first parts catalog for the high-performance market..."
Wow. That gets my blood boiling. Or this offshore hot news just in...
"Glenn Olmstead, a longtime KEPP designer instrumental in part design, programming and manufacturing, has stepped up to work alongside Eickert in developmental efforts. Newcomer Kenvin Herman becomes the manager of parts manufacturing position to work with Keith and Glenn on all aspects of manufacturing new and current power products, as well as marine accessories.....on and on and on..."
Both recent HBM news compliments of Bobbye Kenyon, Offshore public Relations a featured (and most likely paid) writer for HBM and a leader in Offshore racing. HBM, Jan 2003, p12.
Pretty exciting stuff huh? How 'bout they eliminate her $$$ freelance job and hire someone who writes stuff we hot boaters really care about?
Just an thought.
RiverDave...you'd like to see technology applied to smaller boats? No pissing and moaning now. :D
RiverGirl,
Offshore racing...a couple air shots cool, that's it for my interest. Indepth boring articles and point standings...who cares...forget it!
Yes, I'm going to tell you that, "offshore racing and performance coverage of million dollar state-of-the-art machines at speeds over 140 mph..." don't EVEN spark my interest like smaller hot lake boats and drag racing. As in I could care less. Does that surprise you? I've probably subscribed to HBM longer than you.
In fact, I don't even read the offshore stuff. Small hot boats and BIG hot boats are of two different animals. Different types of boating, often different interest groups. Just because I love small lake and drag boats doesn't mean I'm interested in offshores and always wanted to trade my 19 foot jet for a 30 footer...a common theme to justify coverage. As in sure you own a 19 foot, but we know you really dream of a 30 foot some day so you may not know it but you'd still want to read about them, sorta mentality...huh? Say what??
Sure everyone's opinions vary, but what about the majority of subscribers? Rick32 wants more big rigs covered, LeE ss13 wants more flats. If the majority wants more offshore, who am I to question? I will be silent and carry on. My guess is the opposite. But will HBM even ask that question? Or care about the outcome? An interesting thought.
Since a magazine must limit page space, if we even have a voice...I choose small Hot Boats. Inclusion of others ok, but the balance is now way off in my opinion. For marketing reasons already mentioned.
Poker runs...a case of you had to be there? Otherwise, somewhat boring. BTW, I've done poker runs, covered in HBM, so I've been there. Kinda like regatta coverage, if you were there you look for your pic and hope for a view or mention of your rig, if not you skim 'cause they all have the same theme. Everyone had a great time and the BBQ was delicious. Thanks again to all the promoters. Marginally better than offshore only because a little more personal.
As for Hydros and "others?" So now the boats bringing life to the magazine are banished to the obscure class of "others?" Ya, ok, whatever. :(
jer
[ January 15, 2003, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

OkieDave
01-15-2003, 06:49 AM
I like to see the type of boat I can identify with. Lake racer, 100 mph jets, flats, or hydros.
The magazine is all about selling advertising. The big buck boats spend lots of money on adds.

rick32
01-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Less big rigs is fine... I like the lake boats, mine is a lake boat.. We can get other rags for the big stuff....Pictures of big air & big crashes we can all agree on ...
Rick32

Charley
01-15-2003, 10:43 AM
I wanna see more River action, coverage of events and people,I want more personal articles, Poker Runs, Regattas and how about a "Family Corner" where they spotlight one family a month...what kind of boat the have, where they boat, kids ages, hobbies etc .... that would be kinda cool.... :D

RiverGirl
01-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Sorry you took offense to 'other'.
It is only because I am not familiar of all the different types of classes other than offshore.
So, please educate me.
as to your quote -
As for Hydros and "others?" So now the boats bringing life to the magazine are banished to the obscure class of "others?" Ya, ok, whatever.
The magazine has nothing to do with a question I asked. Nor do I have part of production.
I was simply asking a question to gather a feel for the members here on the forum.
I enjoy boating, period!
It would only excite me more to learn about the different classes, etc.
It happens to be my passion is in the offshore performance and racing arenas.
That's all.
[ January 15, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: RiverGirl ]

miller19j
01-15-2003, 11:03 AM
RiverGirl:
Sorry you took offense to 'other'.
It is only because I am not familiar of all the different types of classes other than offshore.
So, please educate me.
as to your quote -
As for Hydros and "others?" So now the boats bringing life to the magazine are banished to the obscure class of "others?" Ya, ok, whatever.
The magazine has nothing to do with a question I asked. Nor do I have part of production.
I was simply asking a question to gather a feel for the members here on the forum.
I enjoy boating, period!
It would only excite me more to learn about the different classes, etc.
It happens to be my passion is in the offshore performance and racing arenas.
That's all. I think that the consensus of the people is that they don’t want to see any class of boat. They just want to see your lake/river hot boat and the mods and buildups involved in them. In general the people on this board are recreational boaters not racers.
Offshore boats are cool but out of reach for most of us.
I don’t think anyone took offense. :)

Liberator TJ1984
01-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Got my Nomex shorts on so here goes..I would like to see coverage of all the big get togethers from All Over the USofA. Show real people doing what they enjoy most hanging out and havin a good time!got a Poker run in Florida cool,cover it , then go out and see how the local clubs are doing and cover them too!Not just the same boats different races.. When you got the average Joe willing to drive all day to make a gathering somewhere it is worth looking into, he or she is doing it for a reason.I also like to see boats where if I see something new or differnet I may actually afford it...oh well just my 2* Gopherrr

Spirit of Discovery
01-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Early on in this thread, Rick32 made the comment that POPRA had no story. I take exception to that comment. Consider the 2002 APBA WORLD Championships. POPRA scores big in almost every class that POPRA boats ran. F1 - 3rd; F2 - 1st & 7th; Super Cat Light - 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th; Super Vee Light - 4th, 5th; Outlaw Performance Extreme - 2nd. For an organization "who has no story" and who only campaigned 22 boats last year, to walk away with 4 top three finishes (finishes in every class we campaigned boats in except for Super Cat) is pretty respectable. sorry, Rick, but POPRA DOES have a story!! argue

Oldsquirt
01-16-2003, 12:29 PM
POPRA=Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Association
Pacific Offshore (http://www.pacificoffshore.com/main.html)