PDA

View Full Version : ? Boatcop/Lakecop/Anyone

28Sport Cat
06-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Was told by a lake patrol Officer that he could guesstamate a boats speed by the length of the white water behind something like so many miles per hour for 10 feet. has anyone heard this? and if so what is the formula? :cool:

Jordy
06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I can tell you right now that doesn't make sense. A 19' jet with a shallow v hull is going to make a different wake than a 26' cat which will be making a diffent wake than a 34' v all going the same speed. Does that make sense?

Riverhound
06-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I agree with Jordy on this one! :D
Different hull styles will displace water at a different rate. I'm sure water conditions would have a significant effect as well.

Kilrtoy
06-17-2003, 05:25 PM
God they are bored at Castaic.
No, impossible, they just went to radar school a few months back, They really need to relax up there.
That is almost as good as the one, I can tell how fast you are going by how loud your engine is....

Jordy
06-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Riverhound:
I agree with Jordy on this one! :D You shouldn't do that. It'll get you in trouble every time. :D :D :D
I didn't even go into anymore detail such as hull deadrise, all the different bottom configurations, type of drive, number of drives, weight of the boat, weight distribution (think of a wakeboard boat with a ballast bag in it)... That guy was so full of shit...

Boatcop
06-17-2003, 05:46 PM
I can guesstimate the speed of a boat, based on years of experience, not some magical wake length formula.
Either way, my guestimate isn't going to hold up in court. Remember that there are few places with set speed limits, other than 5 MPH No Wake Zones, and a few places like Castaic with the 35 MPH limit.
The only speed we write for is "Greater Than Reasonable and Prudent", and we don't need a concrete speed for that, although it helps.

28Sport Cat
06-17-2003, 07:59 PM
actully i have been behaving my self at castiac, i was up at one of the northern lakes, but will take any friendly warnings. but thanks for all the input, i am normally looking forward, so who knows how long my white water was. :)

Kurtis500
06-17-2003, 08:25 PM
35mph? you can even ski at that speed. Why such a slow mph limit?

JetBoatRich
06-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Kurtis500:
35mph? you can even ski at that speed. Why such a slow mph limit? Because that lake sucks :o to much history at that lake and problems so they thought slowing everyone down would help :o

Essex502
06-18-2003, 06:19 AM
Boatcop:
...other than 5 MPH No Wake Zones, What exactly is no wake? Any moving object in a body of water will leave a wake. I always smile when I see these signs and limits because there is no such thing!
I did find this definition in Virginia law:
"Definition of no wake. Defines "no wake" speed as the operation of a motorboat or vessel at the slowest possible speed required to maintain steerage and headway."
I guess that probably sums it up for most areas.

stonehedge
06-18-2003, 10:51 AM
About 100 feet from my house is the smallest, dirtiest, crappyest, over-enforced body of water in the world! Puddle-stone! I could hit it with a tennis ball from my house and only use it for that rare test/break in reason. But it sucks so bad I'm embarrassed to even talk about it. Sad. The only thing cool about it is that its close and they have racing there. Other than that it sucks. If they have a gay rule in the books, that lake HAS IT!.............I launch with a halo and a bible in my hand and pray that one of the million life-guard-what-a-be-ranger-rick-boat-copper won't fang me for going 35 1/2 mph!!!!!!!!They live for nice boats, radar in one hand and a cite book in the other! My boat is not that fast, just looks fast, but they drool when anything pulls up with more than 5 hp! Sorry, just venting. I know, we all know puddle-stone should be filled in with cement, cause its a poor excuse for a lake, but then my land value might drop.

eliminatedsprinter
06-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Sounds like Castiac.
When you launch at Castiac they give you a copy of the rules. They should just save the ink and paper and say Have No Fun. yuk
I know I'm exaggerating a bit and I'm sure some people enjoy putting around at just the speed that makes the lake seem as rough as possible. :rolleyes: