PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Install In Motorhome

GlastronGuy
08-03-2003, 10:47 AM
We just purchased a used motorhome and had the dealer install a new head unit. They seem to have buggered it up as the sound distorts as the volume goes higher. I am not talking high levels here, just reasonable listening levels. Also, on occasion, the volume will go up and down on it's own.
As I was typing this it occurred to me to check something else. When I change the balance all the way to one side or the other, I can still hear the music from the other speaker. Same is true if I fade all the way to the front or the back.
A wiring diagram I found for Fords (http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf) is not the correct one for this application. Anyone know where I can get the correct diagram/wire color scheme?
Thanks
1995 Ford E350/Gulfstream Class C
Kenwood KDC 217

Havasu Hangin'
08-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Sounds like the speakers wires may be crossed. Sometimes one crossed ground wire will do that.
A pretty easy way to find out how the speakers are wired in a vehicle is to disconnect the speaker wires from the head unit, grab a 1.5 volt battery, take the grill off the speaker, and hook the speaker leads to the positive and negative on the battery.
If the speaker presses out, the leads are correct.
If the speaker sucks in, they are reversed.
If nothing happens, try another wire.
Write down what goes where, then use the wiring diagram off the head unit to match it up.
[ August 03, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

ROZ
08-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Havasu Hangin':
grab a 1.5 volt batteryYou mean you never used the battery from your Makita? :rolleyes: wink :D

Trailer Park Casanova
08-04-2003, 06:44 AM
GlastronGuy Also, on occasion, the volume will go up and down on it's own.
[/QB]Some radios, and this may apply to you, have a feature that if plugged into a vehicles wireing harness, will increase sound as the vehicles speed increases.
This is usually controlled by the outside left hand dial ring.

roostwear
08-04-2003, 06:52 AM
2 common mistakes made when installing (that cause a condition like yours), is when probing for a hot wire, they tap into the memory wire. This circuit does not provide the amperage required for the amp (the reason it distorts when the amp draws more power), and/or an insufficient ground.
[ August 04, 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: roostwear ]

roostwear
08-04-2003, 07:15 AM
damn double posts..................
[ August 04, 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: roostwear ]

GlastronGuy
08-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I took ROZ's advice and used the battery from my 18 volt DeWalt drill. How come the cones pop out but don't go back in?

ROZ
08-05-2003, 10:36 PM
GlastronGuy:
Thanks for the input. I took ROZ's advice and used the battery from my 18 volt DeWalt drill. How come the cones pop out but don't go back in? :confused:

GlastronGuy
08-06-2003, 03:55 PM
OK looks like the 18 volts burned up all the speakers and I'll be getting new ones. :(
Kidding, ROZ. I took it to a stereo shop and they said it was wired with a common ground and that's why it didn't work correctly. It sounds fine now. Thanks again for the input.