PDA

View Full Version : crew cabs

Raskal
11-13-2002, 06:40 PM
got chevy hd looking for speaker box that will hold 2 10s or 12s but will go under back seat not behind. any info would help thanks

Duck
11-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Raskal, Got the same thing going on with my 2500HD GMC. You will probably have to go with a custom build and need to worry about speaker depth, my 10" Autobauns are too deep, damn it.
Got big variations in pricing to build it from different shops, so look around. Haven't done mine yet, waiting for amp deal from neighbor.
Duck

Raskal
11-13-2002, 09:34 PM
thanks for the input. i knew it would not be that easy .dont have time to build my own

syke-o
11-13-2002, 10:42 PM
why not try behind the rear seat??? not enough room???

ROZ
11-14-2002, 03:15 AM
One of my installers has that exact custom enclosure sitting in his shop that was never installed! Wel ,atleast he did the last time I talked to him... It's made for 2 JL 10's with the amp rack (JL5001 size) straddling the hump. He asked if I knew anyone who wanted it, but at the time I didn't. It hasn't been covered with carpet yet, so you could choose the color. Our Escondido store does it's fare amount of custom truck systems, so he made a couple boxes in his spare time. I can see if he still has it if you like....
If you want it,he will carpet it and I could have it sent to our riverside store.
Chris
[ November 14, 2002, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

hot_diggity_dog
11-14-2002, 06:36 AM
MTX has built in boxes for sub woofers in Chevy's
HDDMTX website (http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/CXP20.cfm)

ROZ
11-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Well, I just found out that he sold the enclosure he had, but can fab a new one for you at about 350.oo . That should be in the custom enclosure ballpark.
Just let me know... :)
I wish I could help you w/labor, but that's an installer's bread and butter.
Gear is another subject though :cool:

Raskal
11-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Roz thanks for the help .thats about right. what do you think is the best speakers is best for that kind off box.
i want to go under so i can still lay the seat down

Raskal
11-14-2002, 08:45 PM
i dont think the mtx box will work but thanks :D

ROZ
11-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Raskal, What year is your truck? Crew or extra-cab?
Speakers? As you know height is of concern, so you need something that's shallow in depth or without a vented magnet, and perform with a small volume enclosure. Because I Stock JL, Eclipse, and Kicker, they are easy 1st choices; However, There are other really good speaker lines that will do the job....
Are you leaning toward sound quality, or do you just want to be loud?
What amplifiers do you have or plan to purchase?
How about the remainder of your system......Basic factory, premier factory amplified, or upgraded?
Chris
Hopefully some of this will help you out...

Raskal
11-15-2002, 04:24 PM
just getting ready to start whole system .like to have it clean and lond .my last tuck had 2 kicker 10~s ,orion 6.5 comp in door with rockfard 4080 and kenwood head unit it sounded pretty good but it was also standerd cab .new tuck is 2001 4 door hd (crew cab) lot more room to fill with sound hope same kind of amp will be good enuff :confused: thanks for the help .and what do you think i should use. trying to keep budget to 2,000 or close .

hot_diggity_dog
11-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Raskal,
Just curious as to what you really wanted? :confused:
got chevy hd looking for speaker box that will hold 2 10s or 12s but will go under back seat not behind. any info would help thanks I have this setup and it is really clean. :p You can install your amp and keep the factory jack and not lose any of the seat functions. :p It also comes in all of the factory interior colors to match. :D
Maybe you wanted a all custom box? :confused:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/tFormCXP20Install.JPG
CHEVROLET EXTRA CAB 1999-2002 ThunderForm
(dual woofer model)
Also fits '99-'01 GMC Pick-up and 3-/Extended Cab 4-door models
Location: Under rear seat on driver side. Bolts to floor of vehicle
No loss of leg room. Factory jack kit is not disturbed.
Molded in factory colors
Install hardware supplied
Built-in recess for amplifier mounting
Subwoofer: Two 10"
4 ohm impedance on loaded versions
Dimensions: 10.5" x 48" x 15.5"
Weight: 35 lbs.*
In-Car Response: 23Hz-110Hz*
Power Handling: 500 Watts RMS*
Sensitivity: 87dB*
Enclosure Volume: 1.9 cubic feet
Impedance: 4 Ohm*
Color
Gray
Charcoal
Tan
Blue
Red
Maroon

RiverLife
11-17-2002, 11:17 PM
What I am having done in my '03 HD is a custom box under the back seat with a fiberglass bottom so it molds to the shape of the floor and allows for more room. We are putting two 10s in the box, then mounting the amps to the back wall with a custom "frame" around it. I have seen a couple done this way and they turned out awesome! Here (http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/0211tr_volume/) is a link to one that was done recently. The whole article is awesome but the box is down at the bottom.
Does the Thunderform box work for the Crew Cab too ? I was told they were different and would not work.

ROZ
11-18-2002, 12:55 AM
generally crew and extracab seating and enclosures are different.
Liked the link RiverLife. Always liked fiberglass work. wink

ROZ
11-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Raskal,
Three or four 10's in a custom enclosure will fit behind the seat in your crew cab. Mount amps beneath the seat in a rack that matches your enclosure. I've seen it. If you want volume go four, but you'd increase your freq. range and be plenty loud with three DVC's with sufficient power.

RiverLife
11-19-2002, 04:46 PM
There would be quite a bit of trimming though to do 10s behind the seat though right? Trim the plastic under the window, and remove the board and hinges behind the seat?

Raskal
11-19-2002, 04:54 PM
thanks for all the help.
i did not think the xtra cab box would work under the seat off the crew cab :confused:

ROZ
11-19-2002, 05:18 PM
RiverLife:
There would be quite a bit of trimming though to do 10s behind the seat though right? Trim the plastic under the window, and remove the board and hinges behind the seat?Yes. Removal and trimming out would be necessary. Depending on a the customer, the enclosure would be made much like unit in the link you posted. Frame in sides,double mask the truck's back panel, use fiberglass mat or fleece, resin, build front baffle for speakers out of MDF or mount baffle speaker rings into place and fleece/resin/ bodyfill/ paint or cover w/material for a totally custom enclosure. The rear seats in some trucks have been raised, moved foward, or both (via custom brackets) in fabricating systems of this nature.
I took some really good pictures at a stereo show that RD and I went to, but Costco lost them..Otherwise I'd post them....That's what happens when you don't pick up your developed pictures in a timely manner!

ROZ
11-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Raskal:
thanks for all the help.
i did not think the xtra cab box would work under the seat off the crew cab :confused: Look here (http://www.tweeter.com/car/index.jsp) to see if we have anything you like. I can get you under the 2k mark......Bropricing :cool:
[ November 19, 2002, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Raskal
11-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Roz.thanks bro ill be getting list together and looking you up.
thanks again for all the help
Ryan