PDA

View Full Version : ROZ, or any one else!!!!!!

Stupid Fast
04-20-2003, 03:20 AM
I just got a new to me 1997 GMC K1500 extended cab short bed truck. I love every thing abourt the truck except 1 thing. The FACTORY radio BLOWS. I have an hour to work and an hour back. I cant handle it much longer. Even am sounds terrible. Due to the fact that I just bought the truck(chunk o money down), Just switched jobs (no insurance till May 1 and my wife is diabetic), and I havent even took the cover off the boat to see how much cash is goin there...... Enough of that shit.
Long & short,
The radio is one of those Speed volume deals with a tape and CD. How much better would it sound if I just replaced the factory speakers? (are those seperates in the doors?) Or do you think the stereo is the problem? I have been in some Tahoes that sound decent, so I am thinking that My factory speakers are blown.
What do you guys recomend?
I am debating on These:
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2001/575/l575FNP261U.jpeg
or
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/108/l1086002i.jpeg
For the front doors.
Is it worth the extra money to go to seperates?
any help or sugestions are appreciated.
thanks
Eric

ROZ
04-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Eric,
The old 1997 paper and foam is probably on it's way out, so you're probably right in thinking the speakers may be blown. I'm sure you'll hear a world of difference after you replace them with a nice set of 2-ways. I don't remember off the top of my head if 97 1500 had the premium factory amplified w/ seperates system, but it may be possible that it does. I not, unless you plan to add an amp to run seperates, I'd shy away from them for now.
Take care
Chris

Stupid Fast
04-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks Roz,
I did some investigation. There is definetly a 6-1/2" mid in the lower front corner of the door. There is also a tweeter that is angled up in a grill at the front of the arm rest. So I guess that the originals are separates. I do not know if they have a seperate amp. Where would it be? I cant find it. The rear speakers are 4x6 deals. Eventually (winter when I have more time and cash) I would like to put in a four channel amp, a new head unit mabey this:
Pioneer DEH-P77DH
CD Receiver with CD changer controls
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2000/130/l130DEHP77Ddmt.jpeg
and a Q form or MTX sub box and a class D amp.
How do these actually sound? Any body use one now? I love having the back seat as a seat and dont want to lose it. It also makes it less obvious to theives what is in there. Any Ideas?
ALL comments welcome.
Thanks
ERIC

SCUBA STEVE
04-21-2003, 03:42 PM
dont know much about anything, but I have a stealth box by mtx that fits perfect under my extra cab's bench seat in my dodge ram. the 2-10's hit pretty good. I think the vibration anoy's who ever sits back there, but too bad they can drive their own dam car if they want too. :D
just my .02 on this thread.

Stupid Fast
04-22-2003, 01:22 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
I think the vibration anoy's who ever sits back there, but too bad they can drive their own dam car if they want too. :D
just my .02 on this thread. My thoughts exactly.
Although, In my boat I have a Sub under the back bench seat and we were in a cove. All of us swimming and one of my wifes friends sitting in the boat. She kept playing a song with alot of base. Well I caught her sitting on the bench sitting on my flashlight, Well lets just say "enjoying" herself. You want to talk about a red face. Me and her. eek! Niether of us said a word but we both knew what was going on. :D
I would say that sitting on a sub seat may not be that bad depending on who you are. :D lol

SCUBA STEVE
04-22-2003, 01:41 PM
LMAO. I usually put the girls in the extra cab on road trips, and they never seem to complain, now I know why. :D

Fat Chance
04-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Roz, you seem to have an infinite amount of wisdom when we start talk'n mobile audio...here's the question. I have a '99 Chebby Sub., and I've heard they have some sort of stock amplified signal to the speaker, as you previously eluded to. What's the deal?? Can you replace the stock speakers with your run of the mill aftermarket speaker, what do I have to take into consideration as far as wattage requirements? sepaerates vs 2way/3way etc. If I want to run an after market amp, do I wire it into the speaker out leads from the stock head unit. Any info/senarios you are familar with on my setup would be really helpful.
Thx,
Scott
[ April 22, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Fat Chance ]

ROZ
04-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Fat Chance:
Roz, you seem to have an infinite amount of wisdom when we start talk'n mobile audio...here's the question. I have a '99 Chebby Sub., and I've heard they have some sort of stock amplified signal to the speaker, as you previously eluded to. What's the deal?? Can you replace the stock speakers with your run of the mill aftermarket speaker, what do I have to take into consideration as far as wattage requirements? sepaerates vs 2way/3way etc. If I want to run an after market amp, do I wire it into the speaker out leads from the stock head unit. Any info/senarios you are familar with on my setup would be really helpful.
Thx,
Scott Unless it's a Bose system where the speaker itself is amplified(Some Nissan, Infinity, Corvette, and a few other GM) you should be able to replace an OEM speaker with an aftermarket one.
Changing to an aftermarket headunit is another story. There are some wiring kits available to make the conversion, but we often bypass the factory system by rewiring a new system into a vehicle....After a complete audio rewire, your less likley to have a problem.
Hope that helps
Chris
EDIT There are Onstar adaptors available....
[ April 22, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]