PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Winston Cup Series

RiverKitty
10-07-2002, 05:07 PM
I know it's a little off the topic of Boating however, I'm attending my 1st ever NASCAR Race this November 10th at the Phoenix International Raceway!
Woo Hoo!
Anyone else attending this event?
Any advise or suggestions for a 1st timer???

boatnam2
10-07-2002, 05:11 PM
bring your party boots because they make the river seem tame.missb and i went for the first time last year at californis speedway.the infeild is nuts at night.starting with a concert and ending with barrage of drunken fools running around on everything from bikes to motorized wagons loaded with beer.

RiverKitty
10-07-2002, 05:39 PM
So are we talkin' "thigh-high" black leather kinda party boots??? ;o)

DickDanger
10-07-2002, 06:16 PM
So, you are a NASCAR virgin huh??? Hmmmm..here are a few tips...
1. Earplugs.....VERY LOUD!!!!!! (Am I shouting?)
2. Know where the beer tent is in direct relation to the nearest bathroom. This is important.
3. Rowdy fans that wont sit down. Just because the guy in front of you is plastered, and wearing a tattered Dale Earnhardt t shirt, is no reason to get uptight. Bring a pouch of Red Man with you, and offer to share. You will have a friend for life that is more loyal than an old blue tick hound that keeps trying to hump your leg.
4. While it is perfectly acceptable to flash your breasts, it is not acceptable to compare them to your mullet wearing neighbor who also happens to have a beer gut the size of an oil tanker, and is a man.
So there you have it!!! Have a good time!!! -DD Out

RiverKitty
10-07-2002, 07:40 PM
(So, you are a NASCAR virgin huh???)
That's a "big 10-4 good-buddy"!
*Earplugs - Got It!
*Beer Tent & Bathrooms - Got it!
*Red Man - Is that a sunburned boater guy or chew?
*Don't compare breast size to the big neighbor guy that wears a larger bra size than I do! - Got it!
As for a "good time", Darlin', the party won't start till *I* get there!!! ;o)

RiverGypsy
10-07-2002, 08:28 PM
There's a new Gypsy in town... Do you have place to stay, Kitty? I hear hotels are booked!

RiverKitty
10-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Your right! I'm having a hard time finding a hotel that isn't booked! Oh well, if worse comes to worse, I'll just camp out in my SUV! Not gonna miss this one!!!

Eric455
10-07-2002, 08:48 PM
hey you ladies can over to my place all take great care of you!!! lol
eric

RiverKitty
10-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Eric, 1 question!
I would *love* to take you up on your offer...but *how* are you going to take care of us in Phoenix for the NASCAR Race when you live in Glendale, CA??? "Inquiring minds want to know!" ;o)

RiverGypsy
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
hmmmmmyes "Inquiring minds *do* want to know!" ;o)

RiverGypsy
10-07-2002, 09:32 PM
This is my first NASCAR race too Kitty! I'm so excited!!! I dare some big bellied "chew" chomping good ol' boy to block my view! I'll be right there when they say GO GO GO !!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

JustMVG
10-07-2002, 10:00 PM
Well hope you both enjoy your first time, you'll always remember that first time!!
Phoenix Raceway is a great place for a race, and next year if you're ready for the real party you have to come to Cal speedway, we have an infield spot right on the backstraight, the racing is great but the partying is insane, hope to see more folks from these boards there for the NASCAR race, i'll be going for the CART race, same spot the weekend of Nov. 1-3rd. Anyone who wants to meet up thee let me know.
See you All later Mike VG

No Drama
10-08-2002, 03:21 AM
Plan on a couple of hours in traffic, getting in, and about the same getting out. Thats just the last couple of miles to and from the track. Wear comfortable walking shoes!
Enjoy!
No Drama

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 03:45 AM
MandMVG:
Well hope you both enjoy your first time, you'll always remember that first time!!
Mike VGOh I "know" you are right about that! I'm sure I'll be hooked and want more more more!!!!
I'm wishing I could be *infield* But, 1st row near pitts will have to do!
Have Fun!

WILD LAVEY
10-08-2002, 03:48 AM
river kitty, river gypsy, two things you guys might want to consider bringing.
1 good set of binoculars - for close ups
2 radio - to hear the crew and driver blame each other for losing the race. wink

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 03:49 AM
No Drama:
Plan on a couple of hours in traffic, getting in, and about the same getting out. Thats just the last couple of miles to and from the track. Wear comfortable walking shoes!
Enjoy!
No Dramahmmmmm I'm hoping to be 1st in line to get into gates! ha ha!! Thanks for the tip!

burbanite
10-08-2002, 07:48 AM
MandMVG
i'll be going for the CART race, same spot the weekend of Nov. 1-3rd.
See you All later Mike VG[/QB]Me too.......

fear the turtle
10-08-2002, 08:57 AM
PHX is a good race. This year should be better then normal because the points race is pretty tight. Whereas in the past it's normally been pretty wrapped up by this time. PIR is probably one of the lesser party tracks on the circuit, it's still good though. They do have a band playing after the race that a few people stick around for. And if you can, sit as high as possible to get the best few of the entire track. And the track is pretty open so earplugs help but aren't required as much as some of the bowl tracks like Bristol and Dover.

carreraelite
10-08-2002, 09:02 AM
I like sitting on the front stait, just off of turn 4 ,about half way up. I have friends that stay in the infield sometimes, and it is a big party. Parking is sometimes quite a walk, anmd the wait getting out can be long.We always just hang out for an hour or so before we attempted to leave.

shockwaveharry
10-08-2002, 11:38 AM
My advise: Unless your planing on sticking around after the race, Park near the freeway and take one of the shuttle busses to the track. fastest and easiest way in and out. It's a great track. Not a bad seat in the house.

THOR
10-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Been there, done that. But, the previous posts about the parking are totally correct.
Fun race though.

AZKC
10-08-2002, 02:38 PM
RK, RJ,
If you cant find rooms on the west side of PHX(closer to PIR) head east on the 10 and out by Chandler (Firebird Raceway) lots of places out there and if all else fails keep truckin down to Tucson. Me and BC will find someplace to get you bunked down.
The traffic is bad but just another reason to chill after race and enjoy the beautiful AZ evening.
KC

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 02:51 PM
oops! tee hee...I boo boo'ed a post..sorry folks!
[ October 08, 2002, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: RiverGypsy ]

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 02:56 PM
fear the turtle:
PHX is a good race. This year should be better then normal because the points race is pretty tight. Whereas in the past it's normally been pretty wrapped up by this time."
Right about the point thingy!
"PIR is probably one of the lesser party tracks on the circuit, it's still good though. They do have a band playing after the race that a few people stick around for. And if you can, sit as high as possible to get the best few of the entire track."
I've heard stories from infield at Martinsville! I think next year...it's infield for me!!!
"And the track is pretty open so earplugs help but aren't required as much as some of the bowl tracks like Bristol and Dover.Mmmmmmmmm can't wait to feel the roar of engines...in my chest!!!! ha ha!!!

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 03:03 PM
carreraelite:
I like sitting on the front stait, just off of turn 4 ,about half way up."
I'll be just past turn 4 near "pit row" he he he he...
I have friends that stay in the infield sometimes, and it is a big party. Parking is sometimes quite a walk, anmd the wait getting out can be long.We always just hang out for an hour or so before we attempted to leave.Think I'll be hanging around too!

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 03:08 PM
So,where are the good *bars* after a NASCAR race in Phoenix? And...do any of them serve "Strohs"?
[ October 08, 2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: RiverGypsy ]

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 03:10 PM
AZKC:
RK, RJ,
If you cant find rooms on the west side of PHX(closer to PIR) head east on the 10 and out by Chandler (Firebird Raceway) lots of places out there and if all else fails keep truckin down to Tucson. Me and BC will find someplace to get you bunked down.
The traffic is bad but just another reason to chill after race and enjoy the beautiful AZ evening.
KC"Awful sweet of ya KC!"

AZKC
10-08-2002, 03:32 PM
RJ should be RG sorry on the typo. If you get into the ROAR of Nascar. Dont forget the IHBA World Finals in PHX the end of this month nothin like nitro to get your whole body vibrating wink
KC

AZKC
10-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Rivergypsy, you knock back a few Stroh's, your showing some ties to the Michigan area your not coming all the way from there are you?
We'll have to get ya on the tequila while your in AZ. Maybe a bonzi trip to Nogales or Rocky Point!!!
KC

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 03:44 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like a RUSH!!!!! :)

RiverGypsy
10-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Rivergypsy, you knock back a few Stroh's, your showing some ties to the Michigan area your not coming all the way from there are you?
We'll have to get ya on the tequila while your in AZ. Maybe a bonzi trip to Nogales or Rocky Point!!!
KC
" I've never been to MI, However, I've knocked back 'quite a few' Strohs in my day!" 'wink'
ah for the east coast days...fun in the sun...life on a beach" mmmmmmmm as for tequila... I gotta bottle right.."here" ha ha!!

RiverKitty
10-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Ok, so what do you wear to these things? Ripped jeans, ripped t-shirt, tennies & a baseball cap? Or just a *smile*??? ;o)

boatnam2
10-08-2002, 08:35 PM
riverkitty, i think all the attire would be good, but MOST important would be the shoes, and the smile......walking with a smile, all day long is what you'll be doin!! have fun !! wink

missboatnam1
10-08-2002, 08:37 PM
riverkitty that was me above,...and the nights young, whadda ya know!!! :rolleyes:

JustMVG
10-08-2002, 09:18 PM
You want body shaking fun?, I know i know , then hit The NHRA World finals at Pomona in November.
That'll get you going

RiverKitty
10-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Hey There Miss B!
Good to "see" ya again! :D
I will *definitely* be wearing a smile on my face....that's for sure!
What happened to those *other* pics you were suppose to post on that *other* thread??? By the way, where'd ya get him??? (You *know* the pic I'm talkin' about!) Give it up girl! What's the web-site ;o) Errr....you can e-mail it to me *off-line*! ;o)
Ya know, I was thinkin' (I know, I KNOW *bizarre*) but we should have a girls night out sometime. Do you think the other girls would go for it? Whatdaya think? Should we start a new thread? See if any of the kitties are interested??? Or maybe a pajama party & tell ghost stories around a open campfire & roast marshmallows?
(Sorry for gettin' off the subject guys/gals.)
Cheers ~RK

RiverKitty
10-08-2002, 09:28 PM
MandMVG:
You want body shaking fun?, I know i know , then hit The NHRA World finals at Pomona in November.
That'll get you goingWhat is the NHRA? More importantly, *when* in November???

JustMVG
10-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Drag Races, and i believe they are being run the second weekend of November, but i'll double check for ya. 0 to 300+ mph in 4 seconds, close to 8000 hp's at the line, amazing to hear and see and feel. Nothing like it anywhere .

Windy
10-08-2002, 09:40 PM
MandMVG:
That'll get you goingWe'll be at the Winternationals in Pomona.
NHRA= National Hot Rod Association.
Go Jimmy Johnson...bring it home baby!!!
MissHBjet
http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/jjohnson00/multimedia/photogallery/incar.jpg

RiverKitty
10-08-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by MissHBjet:
We'll be at the Winternationals in Pomona.
NHRA= National Hot Rod Association.
Go Jimmy Johnson...bring it home baby!!!
MissHBjetSounds *awsome*!
I would love to go!
How far away is Pomona from Havasu?
Any idea on the date?
Go Jimmy!!! :D
~RK

boatnam2
10-08-2002, 10:21 PM
misshb,what days are you guys going to pomona?we will be trying to go one day maybe two for sure.

Windy
10-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Hey Tina,
Im hoping to go sat and sun. JohnwJM is gonna make it out to. I get free tickets from my Snap On connection every year to the WinterNationals and the LongBeach Grand Prix. If you guys go the same days as us we'll have to for sure hook up with you guys.
Hey MandMVG let me know what days you'll be there.
MissHBjet

Windy
10-08-2002, 10:30 PM
RiverKitty:
How far away is Pomona from Havasu?
Over 200 miles away Kitty. Pomona is in CA.
Have fun at the NASCAR race and root for #48 or #24 for me.
MissHBjet

RiverKitty
10-08-2002, 10:42 PM
(Have fun at the NASCAR race and root for #48 or #24 for me. MissHBjet)
You got it girl! :cool:
~RK

RiverGypsy
10-09-2002, 04:09 AM
No Kitty!!! no root for Tony Stewart "20" Home Depot car!!! or Ricky Rudd "28" Texeco/Havoline car!!! HA HA HA!!!
"I think, you'd be most comfortable in *jeans and t-shirt* I have a map of PIR it's quite a hike from parking to race way enterance, guess, I'll leave the *stilettos* at home!! ha ha
Jimmy Johnson's a great driver!
*Wish I could have gotten tiks to the Busch race as well!!!!*
Gonna shoot for invite to a "pit party" Kitty? Bet, that would be *fun* <grin>

Windy
10-09-2002, 07:12 AM
Since Tony Stewart thinks its OK to hit a camera man and break his equipment (on two seperate occassions) I cant stand him. Bad sportsmanship!!! If you cant deal with the media than you shouldnt have signed a contract with NASCAR, because thats part of being a famous
race car driver.
MissHBjet

pgh187
10-09-2002, 07:26 AM
MissHBjet:
Since Tony Stewart thinks its OK to hit a camera man and break his equipment (on two seperate occassions) I cant stand him. Bad sportsmanship!!! If you cant deal with the media than you shouldnt have signed a contract with NASCAR, because thats part of being a famous
race car driver.
MissHBjetTony Stewart and Jeffie GAY Gordon are having an affair!

fear the turtle
10-09-2002, 07:30 AM
Not trying to paint Tony as a saint or anything but I know of one of the instances the reporter was a real dick head. The two knew each other from Tony's short track days in Indiana and couldn't stand each other.
I'll be pulling for 24 and 8. Used to be a big #3 fan and hate Gordon. Just because of the natural rivals. But now since Dale's death, Gordon just doesn't seem as bad. Definently have to respect his ability to dial in a car. From my understanding, alot of the Jimmie Johnson 48 cars that are running strong are old Gordon cars that he had previousely won with. While Gordon is mainly dialing in the new cars they built this year.
And only because I'm so secure in my manly hood :cool: Gordon has got to grow back his goatee and look more manly. He just looks like to much of a pretty boy without it.
As far as bars, don't know of anything on that side of town. Scottsdale has the best bars in the valley, but it may be a bit much to travel back after a long day at the races.
[ October 09, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: fear the turtle ]

Windy
10-09-2002, 07:53 AM
pgh187:
Tony Stewart and Jeffie GAY Gordon are having an affair!I was waiting for some lame comment like that.
Oh Well,
MissHBjet

JustMVG
10-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Miss HBJet i'll be hitting the World Finals on saturday, and as always you and Mr. HBJ are invited to the CART race at Calif. Speedway Nov.1_3, I have the same infield spot as last year. It's the spot we have for NASCAR too.
Maybe see you guys at the Piru Event, on saturday.
See ya Mike VG

RiverGypsy
10-10-2002, 03:46 AM
MandMVG:
Drag Races, and i believe they are being run the second weekend of November, but i'll double check for ya. 0 to 300+ mph in 4 seconds, close to 8000 hp's at the line, amazing to hear and see and feel. Nothing like it anywhere .Mmmmmmmmmmdrag races!!! Now that really is a RUSH!

RiverGypsy
10-10-2002, 03:53 AM
Hope *everyone* has a GRAND time at all the Racing events! "all about FUN!"

flyinbrian
10-11-2002, 02:20 PM
I have been to all kinds of NASCAR races, from the Winston at Charlotte, (Lowe's Motor Speedway), to the Brickyard 400, to the Bristol night race, to the Daytona 500 and many many others, many many times over again.
My advice; Borrow, rent, or buy a scanner with a good headset. Program your favorite driver's frequency's in it and listen to what's going on with the car's handling. You can also listen to Winston Cup scoring officials and the live broadcast. This way, you won't need the earplugs and you will be way more clued in to what's going on in the race.
Someone said that NASCAR is loud. Well another person also mentioned teh NHRA race at Pomona. Top Fuel nitro motors are as loud as it gets. Then Formula One cars, than Indy, then maybe NASCAR, maybe....
Go see the NHRA race too. You can get WAY closer to the drivers and the action on the pits. It's much more spectator friendly than NASCAR ever was or will be.
They're both fun, enjoy yourself and watch out for the drunk drivers!

CMABadseed
10-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Have a blast...I was at Daytona this year for the 500, and went to the road race at Sears Point. My first two and what a great experience. Next season I'll be at 6 in a row hopefully, just dont know which ones yet. CRANK IT UP!!!
boogity boogity boogity!! Bring back DW!!

Bow Movement
10-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey Flyinbrian,
Is your avatar from the movie scanners? I remember watching that when I was about 15 and rewinding it about 50 times to watch that dudes head. Shot you a 5 for originality.

flyinbrian
10-11-2002, 08:48 PM
BM-
Yes, that is from the movie Scanners. The movie was weak in the box office, but a huge success on video, mostly from teenagers wanting to see the gore. It's a legendary cult classic though.
I find myself watching the exploding head over and over all the time.

RiverGypsy
10-12-2002, 07:37 PM
My advice; Borrow, rent, or buy a scanner with a good headset. Program your favorite driver's frequency's in it and listen to what's going on with the car's handling. You can also listen to Winston Cup scoring officials and the live broadcast. This way, you won't need the earplugs and you will be way more clued in to what's going on in the race.
[/QB]I'm curious, your the 2nd possibly 3rd person to mention "radio" or "scanner"...what kind of scanner, is it like a regular radio? not a "emergency/police type scanner?" Listening to what's going on with driver/s is something I'd like to do as I will be on 1st row by pits and not going to be seeing the view of the track. Sounds like it definatly would be much better to listen to all of that instead of having "ear plugs" And yes, I will look out for the drunk drivers!!! Thanks!

stucknohio
10-12-2002, 07:56 PM
they are headphones you can rent there, they have different channels on them for different teams

Windy
10-12-2002, 08:23 PM
stucknohio:
they are headphones you can rent there, they have different channels on them for different teamsYou gotta have the head phones especially if your sitting in the 1st row.
MissHBjet

Windy
10-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Jimmy is starting 3rd tomorrow. Come on Johnson bring home the checkered flag.
MissHBjet

flyinbrian
10-13-2002, 06:33 AM
There will be an area where all of the apparel trailers are located, look for the "Racing Electronics" or "Racing Radios" trailers, they will have what you are looking for.
Like mentioned earlier, with where you are sitting, this is a must have. I sat one row behind Terry Labonte's pit at the Brickyard 400 3 or 4 years ago, (the year Dale Jarret was winning and ran out of gas), the scanner was priceless that day. Fan un-friendly tracks like, Watkins Glen, (any road course for that matter), Talladega, Daytona, Indy, and Pocono you need the scanner to enjoy the race.

RiverGypsy
10-13-2002, 06:49 AM
Alright!! then definately will be getting *headset* Thanks so much all! "I can hardly wait!!!!" Can ya tell I'm "excited"? ha ha!!

carreraelite
10-13-2002, 07:47 AM
A scanner (some call police scanners)scan though peviously programmed frequencies(channels)and stop so that you can listen to the conversation. scanners can be purchased at electronics plces such as Radio Shack. The only catch to purchasing one ,is knowing the frequencies to program into it.Racing Radios is usually at the nascar races, the rent and sell scanners and accessories.

JustMVG
10-13-2002, 10:40 AM
You can go online and get the frequencies, there are a bunch of sites, type in NASCAR Frequencies and you'll get some site to choose from, but the easiest way is to rent a scanner at the track and they'll give you a chart and you can put the drivers and crews that you want to listen to in the order you want, if you get a scanner at Radio shack or whereever try to get the best headset you can, the races are loud and you cant hear very well if you just have the "earbud" headphones. Have Fun and enjoy. Mike VG

RiverGypsy
10-13-2002, 03:34 PM
[ October 13, 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: RiverGypsy ]

RiverGypsy
10-13-2002, 03:40 PM
RiverGypsy:
MandMVG:
You can go online and get the frequencies, there are a bunch of sites, type in NASCAR Frequencies and you'll get some site to choose from, but the easiest way is to rent a scanner at the track and they'll give you a chart and you can put the drivers and crews that you want to listen to in the order you want, if you get a scanner at Radio shack or whereever try to get the best headset you can, the races are loud and you cant hear very well if you just have the "earbud" headphones. Have Fun and enjoy. Mike VGGreat! And,thanks for the *advise!* I just finished watching race in Charlotte, Happy for the kid in Marlin's car! What a GREAT opportunity for him! He's got Winston Cup Fever now! ha ha!! GLAD my driver is FIRST in points!!!!!! GO TONY GO!!!!
[ October 14, 2002, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: RiverGypsy ]

Heatseeker
10-13-2002, 04:51 PM
MandMVG:
, and next year if you're ready for the real party you have to come to Cal speedway, we have an infield spot right on the backstraight, the racing is great but the partying is insane, hope to see more folks from these boards there for the NASCAR race, i'll be going for the CART race, same spot the weekend of Nov. 1-3rd. Anyone who wants to meet up thee let me know.
See you All later Mike VGWe HAD a spot on the back straight too, right before turn three against the fence. Until NASCAR doubled the damn season tix price for next year! Bastards! I've been to every NASCAR race at the Ca. Speedway up to now! Definitely a party! Does anybody remember Dean Hall?
Have fun in PHX!!!

RiverGypsy
10-13-2002, 06:25 PM
Heatseeker:
MandMVG:
, and next year if you're ready for the real party you have to come to Cal speedway, we have an infield spot right on the backstraight, the racing is great but the partying is insane, hope to see more folks from these boards there for the NASCAR race, i'll be going for the CART race, same spot the weekend of Nov. 1-3rd. Anyone who wants to meet up thee let me know.
See you All later Mike VGWe HAD a spot on the back straight too, right before turn three against the fence. Until NASCAR doubled the damn season tix price for next year! Bastards! I've been to every NASCAR race at the Ca. Speedway up to now! Definitely a party! Does anybody remember Dean Hall?
Have fun in PHX!!!Mmmmmmmmm season tiks! I think I'd just love to follow the NASCAR circut.*not as a groupie mind ya*, and just for 1 year, just to see all the tracks and get to meet the drivers and their families hear their stories! What a life! All for the *love* of cars and the greenback! ha ha!! Phoenix...the Gypsy is coming! <wink>
*I gotta real need for speed* <grin>

Heatseeker
10-14-2002, 07:54 AM
RiverGypsy
Mmmmmmmmm season tiks! I think I'd just love to follow the NASCAR circut.*not as a groupie mind ya*, and just for 1 year, just to see all the tracks and get to meet the drivers and their families hear their stories! What a life! All for the *love* of cars and the greenback! ha ha!! Phoenix...the Gypsy is coming! <wink>
*I gotta real need for speed* <grin>[/QB][/QUOTE]
I should've been more precise:
The season tickets I'm talking about weren't for the NASCAR circuit, but for the Ca. Speedway season. And actually, it wasn't NASCAR that raised the price, it was ISC(International Speedway Corp, which is majority owned by the France family, sole owners of NASCAR), after they bought the track from Penske.
Anything for the bottom line!

burbanite
10-14-2002, 08:01 AM
Heatseeker
Does anybody remember Dean Hall?
Yes, what became of him?

SS Havabrew
10-14-2002, 10:54 AM
C:\My Doc's\kemosabay.jpg :cool: :D I'll be there all weekend starting Friday! Can't wait. I have never been to PIR. It's gunna be a blast!

Jordy
10-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Nascar would be much more fun if they would throw in a couple of triples and a whoop section. Way too flat as it is now. :D
Jordy :D

burbanite
10-14-2002, 12:44 PM
RiverGypsy
I just finished watching race in Charlotte, Happy for the kid in Marlin's car! What a GREAT opportunity for him! He's got Winston Cup Fever now! ha ha!!Yeah, how about that then wink

RiverGypsy
10-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Heatseeker:
RiverGypsy
M
mmmmmm season tiks! I think I'd just love to follow the NASCAR circut.*not as a groupie mind ya*, and just for 1 year, just to see all the tracks and get to meet the drivers and their families hear their stories! What a life! All for the *love* of cars and the greenback! ha ha!! Phoenix...the Gypsy is coming! <wink>
*I gotta real need for speed* <grin>I should've been more precise:
The season tickets I'm talking about weren't for the NASCAR circuit, but for the Ca. Speedway season. And actually, it wasn't NASCAR that raised the price, it was ISC(International Speedway Corp, which is majority owned by the France family, sole owners of NASCAR), after they bought the track from Penske.
Anything for the bottom line![/QB][/QUOTE]
* Understood the first time * <wink>

fear the turtle
10-16-2002, 07:10 AM
Speaking of the Fontana Speedway, can anyone provide any information. We normally don't go, because it fell on the same week as the Country thunder party here. But next year we're ditching it. So are there any Saturday night Activities at the track(live bands etc..)? What are the best seats, can you see the track from the first rows....near plenty of concession stands and the trucks? What's the infield like....is the track raised above the infield or do you need really high set up to see the track? Any after race activities? thanks for any info.

RiverGypsy
10-16-2002, 06:13 PM
I'll be there all weekend starting Friday! Can't wait. I have never been to PIR. It's gunna be a blast![/QB]SS, I have never been to PIR as well, I'm not going until Nov 10 but I can not wait! I'm sooo excited!!!! I would have loved to have gone down for the 4 day events, however work/family matters...<sigh> I'm sure gonna make the best of the weekend and afterrace too!! I'm still wondering if Strohs sold anywhere in this state! And where are the good bars are after the PIR races!?!

76 Sleekcraft
10-17-2002, 04:07 AM
Its neat to see west coast NASCAR fans. I live in North Carolina. You know, NASCAR country. Terry Labonte lives about a mile down the road, also Kyle Petty and Bobby Labonte live less than 5 miles away. It is not unusual to see them out at area restaurants and stuff, even at the grocery store, hey they eat too! I have friends that work in the business, on pit crews and stuff. I have driven around the Charlotte track more times than I can remember. I guess being in this area, we take that for granted. Enjoy the race, and if you get a chance to check behind the scenes, do so, you won't believe all of the prep that goes into that sport.
Good luck and have fun at the race!!! :D

RiverGypsy
10-17-2002, 02:42 PM
That would be so awesome to drive around the track! I would love to check out behind the scenes, I'm sure there is an extreme amount of prep for these events. And to think that even after all the preparing and engine can still blow. I feel bad each time that happens to any of the drivers & crews. I sure miss the east coast. I'm a southern girl myself, shhhh nobody can tell though ha ha!! Thanks! I will!!! <big grin>

sorry dog
10-21-2002, 08:50 AM
The infield gives the total topless, drunk, mudfilled, I don't remeber what happened experience. Over here at Talladega it's our bi-annual marti gras.

RiverKitty
10-21-2002, 10:31 AM
sorry dog:
The infield gives the total topless, drunk, mudfilled, I don't remeber what happened experience. Over here at Talladega it's our bi-annual marti gras.Ok, more details!
Where is Talladega located & what's this about a "mudfilled"???
[ October 21, 2002, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: RiverKitty ]

Windy
10-21-2002, 10:41 AM
MissKitty,
Talladega is in Alabama. Its the biggest and fastest track. Its a "restricter plate" track. I dont know about "mudfilled" though...LOL.
MissHBjet

RiverKitty
10-21-2002, 10:56 AM
MissHBjet:
MissKitty,
Talladega is in Alabama. Its the biggest and fastest track. Its a "restricter plate" track. I dont know about "mudfilled" though...LOL.
MissHBjetHi Ya MissHBjet! :)
Ok, "another" question!
Being the naive NASCAR girl that I am, what is a "restrictor plate" track versus the track in Phoenix?
~RK

sorry dog
10-21-2002, 11:45 AM
restricter plates are the plates that they have to put in the carburators to restrict the air flow. The short of it is the motors make less horsepower. On superspeedways (talladega, daytona, etc.) they did this to slow them down after Bill Elliot went 212 or so and cars started ending up in the stands. But one of my favorite quotes from the late Dale Earnhart is "If they want to keep us out of the stands they should build higher fences."
As for muddy at Talladega if it has rained any in the preceding days the mudslide will be in full effect.

RiverKitty
10-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Hey Sorry Dog!
That's a "big 10-4"!
It seems to me that restrictor plates defeat the purpose of winning a race by lowering the horsepower. Isn't that what raceres want "more" of??? I also realize the advantage of having restrictor plates will lower the risk of the general public getting injured or killed. Fair Enough! However, Dale's idea of "higher fences" may have been the correct answer. Things that make you go ....hmmmmmm!
~RK

sorry dog
10-21-2002, 12:40 PM
The races are a lot fun if you follow it for while you'll figure out that nascar is always monkeying will the results. If one team makes a car that is faster than the rest Nascar will slow them down somehow to make even again.

Windy
10-21-2002, 01:59 PM
Some of the drivers were having problems with the G forces to, before the restricter plates.
My favorite NASCAR phrase..."Rubben is Racen"
MissHBjet

RiverGypsy
10-22-2002, 04:54 AM
Hello All!
Nascar's rules and regs a necessary evil I suppose. Gotta keep it safe, some of them such as wearing the harness was a good one. The one engine rule, not so sure about. Nascar really does like to change the rules as they go though.
Go Tony Go!!!

flyinbrian
10-22-2002, 05:37 AM
NASCAR is light years behind all other top echelon motorsports when it comes to saftey. This is especially true in the chassis and the way they build these cars. In fact, the technology going into these cars is circa 1985! These cars are built so rigid. They do not give when impacting a concrete wall. Dale Earnhardt had a restrictor plate on his car when he died. Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and countless others have been killed in these cars at MUCH slower tracks.
The soft walls at Indianapolis Motor Speedway are a step in the right direction, but not the answer. Sooner or later, the officials at NASCAR will wisen up and bring in some engineers to design and build a chassis that will absorb some of the impact. If this would have been done several years ago, we may still have some of those guys I mentioned earlier racing today.
Look at Formula One, or CART. F1 had crew members in helmets YEARS ago, NASCAR waits for a few near death experiences and then have a couple of teams use them on a trial basis, then mandate it. AAAHHH :mad: I just about jumped out a window when I heard the announcers going on about how "safety concious" NASCAR is at the race they debuted helmets on "over the wall" crew.
Paaaleeeze!!!
Design a chassis equipped to handle the speed and horsepower as safely as possible instead of putting Band-Aids on the problem!
Once they do that, they can remove the restrictor plates and the fastest will win.
[EDIT] I just read over my post, it may seem that I am flaming towards you guys. I am not. I am just very passionate about this subject matter and obviously have a strong opinion on it. wink No flame intended.
[ October 22, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: flyinbrian ]

JustMVG
10-22-2002, 09:33 PM
flinbrian, i am with you all the way, now look at what has happened over the last few races , not counting this past weekend, a few drivers have had fires and luckily noone was hurt, but the HANS, device and the other similar devices currently in use are not meant for NASCAR or for that matter any "closed" cockpit type car. the darn things take waaaay to long to release, and precious seconds are used up trying to get out, look at Bodines fire and how long it took the crews, who were already busy, to get to him and the car, thank god that he had time to get the safety device off. Now i am not saying that they should get rid of them , but your idea's towards impact absorbing and Energy shedding chassis is right on track, no pun intended.
Just my passionate .02 Mike VG

Windy
10-22-2002, 10:48 PM
I love NASCAR with a passion. It doesnt seem quit the same since Dales death. They do need to do what they can to make the cars safer. I would love to see them someday race the super speedways without restricter plates. The soft walls are a step in the right direction.
Only 4 more races http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/cwm/3dlil/ugh.gif
MissHBjet

flyinbrian
10-23-2002, 04:42 AM
MandMVG,
So true. The Hans is for open wheel racing and I agree that it could rob a driver of valuable seconds when trying to escape injuries if his car was on fire.
The Hutchens device http://www.hutchensdevice.com/html/instructions/hutchens/images/hutch4.jpg has a quick release feature. The driver pulls down on the red or yellow tethers. This unhooks the device from the helmet and allows the driver to freely move and exit the vehicle. Much easier then the Hans.
MissHBJet-
That was the last time I went to Daytona. Dale's wreck overshadows one of the biggest accidents that track has ever seen.
Remember Tony Stewart tumbling end over end and eventually collecting 18 cars?<-----restrictor plates maybe???
Actually, that was the last Winston Cup race I went to. I have been to Winston Cup qualifying a few times since then, but no Cup races.
It definitely took some of the wind from my sails when it comes to Winston Cup. Prior to Daytona that year, I was going to four to seven races per year.
I have many more issues with NASCAR related to safety. These guys have their heads in the clouds.
Look at F1 and CART-
Both series' have a full time medical team that travels with the circuit. These guys aren't fresh out of med school Doogie Howser's either. Formula One hired Professor Sid Watkins, one of the U.K.'s most reknown neurosurgeons, back in the 70's!!! He has been an intregal part of making F1 the leader when it comes to safety in motorsports. They have a team of surgeons now, in four medical vehicles. Professor Watkins rides in a fifth vehicle. In the mid nineties they established an advisory of experts to investigate a wide range of safety issues, both with car composition, (especially in the cockpit), and on the circuit. These guys started head restraints.
I'll step off my soapbox.......I am only getting started.....
I didn't even get into CART :confused:
Wake up NASCAR!!!!

RiverGypsy
10-23-2002, 05:45 AM
All Very Good Points!
On the restricter plate, ya makes no sense.
NASCAR says "Let's slow the cars down to a safer speed!"(bright idea) Common sense says: "Speed is speed and if you number is up, the wreck will happen no matter what." I thought soft walls was a good step as well. The debate will go on....

JustMVG
10-23-2002, 10:48 AM
/there are better ways to slow the cars down then restrictor plates, give em more rear wing angle, take away some of the front and rearspoiler, but let the drivers have the option of using the left foot to get out of trouble, my 2 cents. Mike VG

RiverGypsy
11-01-2002, 07:25 PM
1 week to go!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!! :D

DaveA
11-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey Miss HBJet,
I recall you guys saying you'd be at the SEMA show next week. I can't wait to go- my son is leaving tomorrow am for LV, and we go on Tuesday. It would be kewl to meet someone from the boards, and I hope to place an eyeball on Rexone at the Impy booth. Just a thought.
It's great that y'all are so interested in NASCAR out there. I'm right in the middle of it here in Mooresville- RaceCity USA. Y'all oughta come out here and spend a week or two next May- do the Winston and the 600 both! Sensory overload. Or this weekend- the Rock! Go get 'em, Flyin' Ryan! On the Pole again! I keep up with Rubberhead, too (guess who that is!) :D
DaveA

Windy
11-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Hey Dave,
Yes we will be in Vegas this weekend for the Sema show. I think we are going out friday nite for cocktails. We will have a few board members with us. If you wanna hook up with us call my cell 714.206.8187.
I would love to someday go to N.C.....NASCAR country for a race. I have a girlfriend who lives in Raleigh....maybe someday.
MissHBjet
Bring it home Jimmy Johnson!!!!

RiverGypsy
11-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Uh Oh! Looks like Viagra driver was *stiffed*
25 pts for illegal spring *tisk tisk*
GOOOOOOO TONY!!!

Windy
11-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Well Kitty....how was it???
Windy

RiverKitty
11-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey! Did somebody say, "NASCAR"????
It was an AWESOME experience!!! It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day! What a great day for a race! I think I could easily become addicted to this sport!
Seeings how this was my first race, I didn't have a "favorite driver", so I cheered for all of them. How does one pick a "favorite" driver???
I brought home a memento, a piece of tire that hit me in the cheek after the first crash. Guess that's what happens when you sit in the first row! Not to mention, it's hard to see the entire track at that level.
I'm still amazed that Dale Earnhardt. Jr still came in 5th place even *after* running out of gas!
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/race_start.jpg
Hat's off to Matt Kenseth for winning the race!
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/nascar.JPG
Well, their off to Florida for the last race!
Good luck to all of them & may the best driver win!
Cheers ~RK
[ November 13, 2002, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: RiverKitty ]

dossangers
11-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Ive died and gone to heaven girls talking about NASCAR stop it your geting me worked UP HA HA ! GO TONY STEWART! if you girls like racing turkey night at irwindale racway sprint cars on pavement awesome tony stewert won in 2000 after eating all that turkey watching good short track racing!

RiverGypsy
11-16-2002, 02:08 PM
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm NASCAR!!! I LOVED IT!!! What a thrill and site and how 'bout those fans too! I would love to follow the circut! Was right there watching #40 crash, poor guy, the car never ran the same afterwards. It was a gorgeous day! Had a blast! At least Dale made to his pit ha ha!! Tomorrow's race outta be a a GREAT ONE!
I'm not thrilled about Home Depot moving to a Mopar next year. grrrr :) Correction that's Chevy next year :rolleyes:
Roush's appeal denied!!!
GO TONY GO!!!!!Vrrrrrroooooooooommmmmmmm!!!
[ November 18, 2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: RiverGypsy ]

dossangers
11-16-2002, 03:28 PM
mark martin qualified 34th ouch TONY 5th tonys gonna do it!! :D eek! :D eek!

iparky
11-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Tony winning a championship? :mad: , Sad, Sad day in Nascar. He should have been fined earlier in the year like everyone else for his action on and off the track. Can anyone say actions that are detrimental to the sport of Nascar, When your sponsor fines you.
Just My 2cents

RiverGypsy
11-16-2002, 09:19 PM
I like him, he speaks his mind, and don't take crap of anyone. He's so misunderstood. haha!!
Go Tony Go!!!!!
mmmmmmmm I'm still feeling engine in my chest!!!
"How bad do you got it?" ha ha ha!!!

dossangers
11-17-2002, 10:30 AM
At least tony wont stert balling when he gets the championship trophy like gordon pleeeease!!!

boatnam2
11-17-2002, 10:44 AM
no he will probaly kick the shit out of the girl bringing him the trophy because she was to slow.

RiverGypsy
11-17-2002, 01:54 PM
:D :D :D :D WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!
Good race! ^5 to Martin and his team!

Windy
11-17-2002, 09:24 PM
boatnam2:
no he will probaly kick the shit out of the girl bringing him the trophy because she was to slow.I wonder if he thinks this car is a "piece of shit" to.
What a sad day...Jimmy didnt even get rookie of the year.

dossangers
11-18-2002, 02:57 PM
tonys the CHAMP he raced hard all year! i was hoping mark martin would have won! remember thakgiving irwindale turkey night ill bet tony stewart shows race!!

carreraelite
11-18-2002, 04:03 PM
I was hoping Mark Martin was going to win, just to hear Tony Stewart whine!!

gnarley
11-18-2002, 04:16 PM
iparky:
Tony winning a championship? :mad: , Sad, Sad day in Nascar. He should have been fined earlier in the year like everyone else for his action on and off the track. Can anyone say actions that are detrimental to the sport of Nascar, When your sponsor fines you.
Just My 2centsIts not about how a driver acts or conducts themselves off the track, It's about how the driver drove the race or the season & how well the team worked to make sure they had the best car on the track all season long, in spite of the rules. Part of what makes you all watch NASCAR is the colorful drivers, teams & personalities that make up the season & events not just the bodies of the cars or the engines they run. If NASCAR put restrictions on how it's members could act it would be boring as hell, kind of like watching a restrictor plate race, you kind of know what to expect!

twistedpair
11-18-2002, 04:51 PM
I liked the way Tony credited Zippy and the crew. He made it sound like anyone could have driven the car and been competitive. Although, seeing how he has won a championship in every level of racing he has ever tried, I think the driver may have had a little bit to do with it. All that said......
Go #24!!!!!!! Can't wait for Daytona!!!

playdeep
11-18-2002, 07:53 PM
If you ever want to see the real Tony Stewart,catch him running at a local short track in a sprint car or midget.He is amazing to watch,after the races he just hangs out drinking beer,very down to earth cool guy.I was wondering if Joe Gibbs will let him run at Irwindale speedway on thanksgiving weekend.(he has raced there the last couple of years).

RiverGypsy
11-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Tony strikes me as a down to earth kinda guy. As for Martin yes he deserves to win a Championship, he's certainly paid his dues and Maybe next year will be his year! Gordon IS a whiner, have to admitt he drives well, has sure made it fact, on both lol :D

dossangers
11-19-2002, 05:09 PM
GORDONS A NEW MAN NOW THAT HES GOTTIN RID OF THE TROPHY QUEEN!!