PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Boat Trailers

Back To Havasu
05-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Need info on quality, board members experiences, etc. on Ultimate boat trailers. I am about to buy a 1998 21' boat sitting on an Ultimate trailer. Then went to manufacturer of boat for some hull background info., and he said Ultimate trailers are very unreliable, prone to crack, etc., and he hasn't used them in three years. Don't want to buy a boat and then have to turn around and buy a new trailer. Will you help me out by sharing your thoughts, experiences, etc. I plan to trailer this boat from So. Cal. to Havasu, Mead, Mohave, Powell. Thanks for your input. eek!

Riverhound
05-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Back to Havasu,
I have a 97 Cole that sits on a 3 axel ultimate trailer. I havent had any probelms and dont have anything bad to say about it. No cracks, wiring problems, brake issues ect. Overall I am happy with mine.

dkreuzen
05-27-2003, 03:40 PM
I had a Ultimate under my 95 Howard. Bought it new and it saw the welder the first year. The fenders almost fell off with cracks in the main frame at each attaching point. They used the wrong equalizer hanger so the springs beat the crap out of the frame so I had to cut them off and install the correct ones. They used non-marine, non-freebacking brakes (and I had them on both axles) so they rusted up and I had to replace them the first year also. The tires stated exploding in the first 6 months so I replaced those also in the first year.
After I did all of the repairs I pulled that trailer for 7 years and over 30k miles with just a set of brakes and wheel bearings during that time.
You can fix all the probelms, just do it to start with and not wait until you're in the middle of the desert. If you have a choice don't buy a Ultimate trailer.
Dennis
[ May 27, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: dkreuzen ]

G-Ride
05-27-2003, 03:50 PM
I have an Ultimate trailer that came with the boat when I purchased it new in 98'. I haven't had any major problems since. I had to clean some of the contact points for the lights and one of the grounds had to be re-done but other than that no issues. I just put the first set of new tires this year. I would say though that the paint isn't the best and overall the trailer isn't on par as Competitive or Extreme I'll admit, but I didn't pay $7,000 dollars either. You can update your trailer with some of the newest goodies(paint, disk brakes,rims, tires, shock kits,etc.) for a fraction of the cost. Some of the other board members have done this and posted some pictures before. Just my .02.

Hermosa
05-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Yes, I also had an Ultimate trailer in 1995, built by Chuck Gunter I think his name was. Garbage, looked good but got all messed up, replaced it after a year.

SDLifesaver
05-28-2003, 06:30 AM
Don't waste your time or money, get an Ellis Trailer. Best by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!