PDA

View Full Version : Which brand to buy??

Speedy
07-13-2001, 04:14 AM
My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat and of course it needs to be FAST!!! We are looking at Donzi, Powerquest, and Baja. Which one out of these three do you all think is the better brand to buy??? My thoughts are Donzi is a step above the other two. Are Powerquest and Baja are about equal??
Thanks all

bill1134
07-13-2001, 05:58 AM
Looked at all these boats also this year but decided on a campion chase 800 a canadian made boat. Check out thier web site www.campionboats.com (http://www.campionboats.com) and down load the video on the chase models.There is a test report on this site also.MY boat goes 70.6 mph on gps with 496HO with a lab finish mirage plus 25 in at 5000 rpm

Speedy
07-13-2001, 06:24 AM
thanks bill1134. checked out the campion website. not bad-nice boats. what made you decide on campion versus donzi, baja, etc?? how is price comparison? did you test drive all these boats to compare?

bill1134
07-13-2001, 07:21 AM
I read alot of test reports on these boats. This boat had the highest speed in it's class. Quality is very high, great fit and finish.Price was $83.000 CDN.Also bought this boat not only for the speed and quality,but to have something different.I get alot nice comments about the boat from the numerous baja and powerquest owners in my area

boatless
07-13-2001, 07:26 AM
Speedy;
I had a Baja 26, I really like the boat. Great cockpit room and loved to jump the boat. After that we got a 28' Nordic Heat and loved it. Out of the ones you posted I like the Baja the best, however it depends on how you boat and the conditions.

25 Outlaw 502
07-13-2001, 07:48 AM
Hey speedy, I just bought a 25 Outlaw with 502 about 2.5 months ago. With supposedly 415 hp on tap and 23 pitch Merc Mirage 3 blade the boat would run at best 62 mph at 4400 RPM. I have talked to many other 25 Outlaw owners with my rage and they all see about 4800 RPM with the same prop. Baja's solution thus far has been to put a 21 pitch prop on it and low and behold to motor turns up to 4800 but still only get 62 mph. Many hours of fighting with the "customer service" department has led now where as of yet. I still am trying to be patient before I hire a lawyer and tell them to come get their P.O.S. out of my driveway. I do love many things about the BAJA and it has some great features that others in the class don't have. But my experience thus far is Baja's "Speed Changes You" slogan is that a serious lack of Speed and no help to correct the problem leads to bad boating experience. I actually ran in a Baja Challenge Pocker Run and couldn't keep up with a BAJA 272 with a 454 in it. Yeah sure there is nothing wrong with the motor. If you do go with Baja make sure the boat is living up to the speed you want prior to taking it away. And don't let the salesman blow any smoke up you know where about the motor just isn't broken in yet. Another boat I considered was 25 Tantrum from Active Thunder Marine. They sell from the factory in Pompano Beach, FL only and were willing to get me a 2002 25 with HP 500 motor with external hyd steering plus everything else that my Baja has for the same price. The only catch I would of had to wait for them to build it. Boy, with my current problems I definenlty should have waited. Of the three you listed go with the Donzi, a little more $$ but its cuddy is nice and the stepped hull hauls ass. ***boat had a good comparison of some boats recently you should look at. Don't take my experience a gospel because I know there a plenty of satisfied Baja owners out there but I would expect that when something like this comes up they would take a serious look to determine what is wrong rather than trying to brush it under the rug and B.S. an engineer into beleiving that nothng is wrong. Happy Boating.
Larry

Speedy
07-13-2001, 08:17 AM
thanks larry. sad to hear of your current bad baja experience. spend all that money on a boat only to have it let you down. sucks!! I've heard both good and bad about the baja's. i'd say 50/50. of the three the baja is my 3rd choice right now. i really like the 26 Donzi ZX and the 26 Powerquest Legend SX. a buddy of mine has a 34 powerquest with twin 502's that really hauls. my concern with the powerquest is their quality. early this summer my buddy was running his 34 pq in a 3-4 foot chop and had his windshield let loose and basically fall in his lap. this is at 60 mph. that has drawn red flag for me. then again, that may be a one in a million experience. my concern with baja is that they seem to be mass-produced. they are almost a dime a dozen versus donzi or powerquest. i don't know if that equals less attention to detail and poorer quality or just a larger production facility and staff???
thanks for the input. good luck with the speed.

Havasu Hangin'
07-13-2001, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by 25 Outlaw 502:
With supposedly 415 hp on tap and 23 pitch Merc Mirage 3 blade the boat would run at best 62 mph at 4400 RPM...Baja's solution thus far has been to put a 21 pitch prop on it and low and behold to motor turns up to 4800 but still only get 62 mph
Hey Larry-
What gear ratio do you have? Is it a 1.36 ratio Bravo? Is that speed on GPS or speedo? Just shootin' from the hip, those 1.5 ratio numbers are questionable:
1.5 Ratio
23"- 62MPH @ 4,400RPM = 2.3% slip
21"- 62MPH @ 4,800RPM = 2.9% slip
1.36 Ratio
23"- 62MPH @ 4,400RPM = 12% slip
21"- 62MPH @ 4,800RPM = 11% slip
If they installed a 1.36 ratio drive, that may be part of the problem. Either way, I would have them check your tach and GPS your speed, if you haven't done so already.
Good luck! http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif
[This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited July 13, 2001).]

Posey
07-13-2001, 08:23 AM
I'm satisfied with Baja, I have a older '92 Baja 270 with a 502mag.(carbed) runs 68-70mph @ 5,000rpm,21p mirage. If I were looking at another boat I would check out Sunsation, I've heard a lot of good stuff and there looks are kick ass!!
My 2 cents, Posey

25 Outlaw 502
07-16-2001, 05:50 AM
Havasu, ran with a hand held GPS one day and it checked pretty well against the speedo. At reading just over 60mph I saw 58.6 mph on GPS. Not really sure what the tide and currents were at the time and I didn't do a two way run. Baja customer service wants me to have the dealer check the speedo with GPS and I am going to go for a ride with the guys so there is no questions. They told me it ran 64 mph for them first time I took it in to get the speed checked. As for the tach it checked against the DDT computer when hooked up. I don't know what drive ratio I have but I will have the service department check. I hope it is something simple and since I have a nick in me skeg I would love a new drive. Any other ideas or if you hear anything else give me a note.
Larry

Speedy
07-16-2001, 08:26 AM
Is there anyone out there who is unhappy with their Donzi or Powerquest???

Havasu Hangin'
07-16-2001, 08:12 PM
I don't know what drive ratio I have but I will have the service department check
Hey Larry,
Sounds like you're on top of the GPS & tach situation. I'm not a bettin' man (OK, maybe a little), but with those numbers, I would bet $1 that you have the tall gears in the drive. Perhaps they are avoiding the subject to keep from switching drives?
Some food for thought- if you can get your 1.5 ratio drive to spin these numbers:
5,000RPMs w/23" prop @ 11% slip = 65MPH
4,800RPMs w/25" prop @ 11% slip = 67MPH
Lab finish will remove a little slip and maybe give you a few more RPMs, but the rest is the motor, boat & setup. There's a prop speed/slip calculator at: http://boatpropellers.com/propcalc.html
Good luck, & let me know how it turns out! http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy43.gif
Jeff

Russ Walker
07-17-2001, 04:43 PM
I have to jump in and answer the first question. I picked up the first 22ZX Donzi sold in the state of New Mexico and I have not regretted it at all! Baja is a major player around here, but I just blow away any Baja in my class. The Baja dealer should thank me, because lots of Baja owners have spent lots of bucks to beat "That Damned Donzi"

Speedy
07-18-2001, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the info RW. Glad to hear about your "Damned Donzi". I test drove a '98 22zx and that boat really moved and handled great. I really like the Donzi's. The only problem is we live in Wisconsin and the nearest Donzi dealer is in Michigan (don't ask me why no one sells them around here with all the boating that takes place in WI). I would like to buy from a local dealer for maintenance and warranty reasons, etc. Baja's are major players around here as well. Nice boats but I've heard both good and bad. I've only heard good things about Donzi's so far. I heard a rumor that Donzi might be or maybe already has been bought out by Brunswick Marine??? (Brunswick makes Baja, Sea Ray, Maxum) Any truth to the story??
Thanks
Speedy

25 Outlaw 502
07-18-2001, 09:24 AM
Good luck, & let me know how it turns out!
Jeff, Going tomorrow to run the boat with the service dept again with GPS. Do you know of any way you can look at the drive to determine the gear ratio or must it involve disassembly?
Larry

Havasu Hangin'
07-18-2001, 10:49 AM
Do you know of any way you can look at the drive to determine the gear ratio or must it involve disassembly?
Hey Larry,
I don't want to steer you wrong, so your best bet is probably to call a Merc mechanic or outdrive shop. I'm sure someone like Teague would know.
Jeff

BillR
07-18-2001, 11:00 AM
Donzi builds a fine boat.
However, in my biased opinion . . .
I bought a PQ 280. I looked at: Formula, Velocity, Scarab, Warlock, Baja, Donzi, Sonic, Powerplay, Sunsation and a few more that I cannot remember.
For ME, the PQ was overwhelmingly what I wanted. The cockpit was larger than any of the other 28' boats. The cabin was roomy too. The build quality was comparable to some of the best, gel work was as good as the best, rigging was the best, quality of hardware was better than most. All the screw heads in the boat are lined up, the hull is not wavy like most (not all) of the boats at which I looked. I went to the factory and saw my boat being built, the workers there seemed like they enjoyed what they were doing. Check out my boat and the PQ factory tour: http://home.infi.net/~brip/index.html
After the sale, the level of service I have received from PQ is superb. In fact (after owning many boats) PQ's customer service is the absolute best I have come across!!!
Great rough water boat, DRY no water in face or on the windscreen.
After many boats I have finally found the best boat for ME, I am 110% satisfied with my boat (how many of you will say that) and will probably buy a larger PQ in the future.
BillR
check out the review: http://archive.powerboatmag.com/1998/12/docs/features/feature005.html

sea buddy
07-19-2001, 05:18 PM
How about a 226 Cobalt with a425 hp 496 ho?Seventy-seventy two on the speedo. Five years on the engine, drive, steering, gauges, etc. and 10 on the hull and deck and structure, all standard. Great ride, too.

RumRunner
07-20-2001, 05:17 PM
For the money you can't beat a Sunsation. The boats you're looking at are very good, but they are also a bit pricy for a first boat. Sunsation is a company on the move UP.
There boats are very good quality, and will out handle the others you're looking at. They are a little tighter than the Donzi, or Baja's but that makes em handle. Also they have some of the best customer service I've ever seen from any company. I bought a used boat, had some questions, and the COO of the company called me himself. If you go to www.offshoreonly.com (http://www.offshoreonly.com) go to the message board
and ask the Sunsation owners there opinion.
Doug

Speedy
07-23-2001, 03:59 AM
Thanks RumRunner. What Size/model Sunsation did you buy? where is Sunsation made? do they have a website?
Speedy

Dave1972
07-23-2001, 10:51 AM
Hey Speedy,
I am also from Wisconsin (Monroe) and just bought a 25' Eliminator late last season 502mag EFI/Bravo One. Absolutely flawless rigging and gelcoat! There is a dealer within 60 miles of me (Dubuque,IA). Where do you usually boat? I've never been up to Lake Winnebago or Green Lake....ever tried either one??? Good luck and let me know if you have other questions. It's hard to find other fellow boaters in the midwest on this website!!!!

Speedy
07-23-2001, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave1972. I grew up boating the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. Mostly Green Bay. Spent a lot of time in Door County on the water. Some of the best boating in the world if you ask me. Now it's time to buy my own boat. Glad to hear about your 25' Eliminator. Very nice boat!! I love Eliminators attention to detail and speed. Quality boats. The Bay of GB is a lot different than most waters however. It tends to be VERY choppy and can easily obtain 3-4-5 ft chop with whitecaps. You take a lot of pounding at times. It doesn't get the rollers like Lake Michigan or the Ocean. My concern with buying a cat hull is that it may not take these types of waters well. I would rather go with a vee hull that I know will handle the water on GB better. Besides, my wife has never boated in her life so I want to get her the best ride possible so she will enjoy it. If she enjoys it, I will enjoy it (if you know what I mean). If she doesn't enjoy it, my boating days may be short lived.
Happy boating Dave1972
Speedy

spectras only
07-23-2001, 01:50 PM
Speedy,what I gather from your post,you have similar water conditions as we have here in B.C.1-5 footers and crosschop that's very unfriendly unless you run a scarab or donzi with 24 degree deadrise.The big ocean rolls are piece of cake for even a daycruiser of mine in the early mornings.I've been on a 72 foot McQueen heading out of English Bay {VancouverB.C)on a crosschoppy day and even that size of boat shuddered occasionally.The best type of hull would be for conditions like that is a narrow beam deep-V like 27 foot Excalibur or 27 Magnum.

Dave1972
07-24-2001, 04:39 AM
Speedy,
The Eliminator Eagle is a V-Bottom. I guess I should have mentioned the V-bottom. It's a v-bottom stepped hull. It rides very nice in rough water. We do lots of boating on the Madison, WI lakes and they also get very choppy quite easily. I love their fit and finish, the ride quality is great, and the speed is very controllable and safe, doesn't give you that "out on a limb" feeling when running full throttle. Our 25' weighs in at 3800# or 4000# loaded. Cuts through the chop pretty well! Donzi makes a high class boat...no doubt there! It pays to shop around however.

Speedy
07-24-2001, 06:00 AM
sorry Dave1972, my bad. when I hear people say 25ft Eliminator I automatically think of the Daytona series, not the Eagle Series. I know the 25 Daytona is a VERY popular boat for eliminator. Who is the dealer you bought your boat from in Dubuque, IA? Do they have a web site? There isn't an Eliminator dealer around the GB area.

Dave1972
07-24-2001, 04:58 PM
Speedy,
No biggie on the Daytona vs. Eagle...the Daytona is their most popular.
The dealership over in Dubuque,IA is Hawkeye Marine. Check out their website at: www.hawkeyeboatsales.com (http://www.hawkeyeboatsales.com)
They have a great service department as well. Just make sure that you look around for your best price. They do like to "wheel and deal"!
We're thinking of making a trip to Green Lake or possibly Lake Winnebago...anywhere near you? If so, perhaps you'd like to check out an Eliminator???? Let me know...drop me an email!
Whatever you decide, good luck and take your time!
Hope this helps.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

Speedy
07-25-2001, 04:33 AM
Dave1972,
Thanks for the info. I will check out their website. Lake Winnebago is about 1/2 hour from our house. There is some pretty good boating on that lake. If you go there, check out The Pioneer Resort & Marina and High Cliff State Park. Both nice places. If you make the voyage up I would love a chance to see what your 25 Eliminator looks like.
Happy Boating!!
Speedy

Raypanic
07-30-2001, 04:28 PM
I own a 1998 powerquest 380 I liked the boat because of the extra space you get with a raised deck, The factory is close too. They make a top notch boat for the money. It seems that they are a little more family oriented than most.
I also own a 2000 Eliminator 236 Eagle XP BR Great inland lake boat and flawless gelcoat a very nice boat it handles very well and is a breeze to drive at higher speeds. I get a lot of comments and looks here in michigan, Not many Eliminators here.
Ray

RumRunner
07-30-2001, 05:44 PM
Speedy

RumRunner
07-30-2001, 05:48 PM
Speedy:
Sorry took so long to get back to ya, I've got a 1994 Sunsation Aggressor. They are made in Michigan. Go to www.sunsationboats.com (http://www.sunsationboats.com) they are really good people to deal with, and bbuild an excellent boat. If you go on Offshoreonly.com the COO of the company is on there all the time. Real nice guy, and he returns all e-mails, and calls. If you'd like more info you can e-mail me at bg.doug@worldnet.att.net

RumRunner
07-30-2001, 05:51 PM
Speedy
Check out the posts on 28' Sunsation, Dave from Sunsation is on there, you can e-mail him yourself. You should atleast check out there stuff you'll be happy you did
Doug

Speedy
07-31-2001, 04:16 AM
RumRunner,
Thanks for the info and link to Sunsation's web site. Checked them out this am and you're right, I was not disappointed. They do make some nice boats. And from what I understand, their 25 ft is a $70,000 or less boat. Not bad price for what seems to be good quality. I will check out Offshoreonly.com and look for Dave. I already requested info from Sunsation via their website. Can't wait to get it!!
Thanks again!!!
Speedy

HYDROMOBILE
08-02-2001, 11:52 AM
Try another page this is a jetboat page, Please

Dave1972
08-02-2001, 01:59 PM
Hydromobile,
I think you are mistaken. This forum is for Offshore Sportboats. I think your light might be on, but I'm not sure anyone is home. Last time I checked jetboats aren't offshore boats at all. Sorry if I'm rude, but just keeping everything in check! You might try the Jet Performance forum for jetboats. Good luck.

bshaw13
08-23-2001, 04:03 PM
Take a look at Sunsation. I looked at all types of boats for 2 years before I purchased a Sunsation this year. The boat is awesome. Less expensive than a Donzi and put together better. Their web site is www.sunsation.com (http://www.sunsation.com)
[This message has been edited by bshaw13 (edited August 23, 2001).]

FastCats
08-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Speedy:
My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat and of course it needs to be FAST!!! We are looking at Donzi, Powerquest, and Baja. Which one out of these three do you all think is the better brand to buy??? My thoughts are Donzi is a step above the other two. Are Powerquest and Baja are about equal??
Thanks all
Have you looked at cats, for speed and a comfortable ride?

25OUTLAW
09-04-2001, 12:06 PM
Speedy and other posters, finally go the boat fixed. 65.2 on the gps @4850 with the 23 mirage. I added some stainless marine headers and roller rockers along the way. Found many things to be worng including:
1. Motor and drive out of alignment
2. Replaced timing advance module.
3. 3 fuel injectorshad rust in them leading to 8 new injectors and 2 new redulators.
4. ECU programing was AFU!!! Quite a few of the parameter were off just a bit and this was the major problem.
Thanks so much to Port Searay in Jacksonville and Maercury for all there time and doing Bajas job for them post sale. Don't ever take your boat to Julington Creek Marina service if you live in Jacksonville, FL. These guys were completely worthless if the problem didn't jump out and bite them in the face. Anyway some prop testing is coming and should have a lab finished prop soon. Speedy what did you end up purchasing or are you still shopping around. I really love my Baja now that it is fixed. Too bad there customer service stinks!!!!
Larry
Thanks all

Speedy
09-05-2001, 03:56 AM
Good to hear that your problems got resolved 25OUTLAW. Glad to hear you love your boat now. I havn't purchased a boat yet, although my wife and I know what we want - a Bayliner (Just kidding!!) We have fallen in love with Sonic. We are looking at a 26 Prowler. It is a beautiful boat that is very well built and has a lot of great amenities. Sonic has never had a structural hull defect in almost 30 years of existance. It's not the fastest but will handle the rough stuff with ease. They are a little heavier boat due to construction and amenities. The only problem is we saw a new 31 Sonic this past weekend in Sturgeon Bay and fell in love with it. We may have to skip the 26 and jump to the 31. Damn I hate it when that happens. We probably won't do anything until next spring as my wife just started a new job and we just built a new house this past spring. I'll keep everyone posted. Good luck 25OUTLAW.
Speedy

Eric1969
09-05-2001, 07:13 AM
Thanks RumRunner. What Size/model Sunsation did you buy? where is Sunsation made? do they have a website?
Speedy
Dave Hare is the COO of Sunsation Boats. His email address is dhare@sunsationboats.com

HallettBoats
09-07-2001, 11:43 AM
Buy a Hallett. www.hallettboats.com (http://www.hallettboats.com)
Cant beat 'em

Eric1969
10-08-2001, 12:11 PM
Good to hear that your problems got resolved 25OUTLAW. Glad to hear you love your boat now. I havn't purchased a boat yet, although my wife and I know what we want - a Bayliner (Just kidding!!) We have fallen in love with Sonic. We are looking at a 26 Prowler. It is a beautiful boat that is very well built and has a lot of great amenities. Sonic has never had a structural hull defect in almost 30 years of existance. It's not the fastest but will handle the rough stuff with ease. They are a little heavier boat due to construction and amenities. The only problem is we saw a new 31 Sonic this past weekend in Sturgeon Bay and fell in love with it. We may have to skip the 26 and jump to the 31. Damn I hate it when that happens. We probably won't do anything until next spring as my wife just started a new job and we just built a new house this past spring. I'll keep everyone posted. Good luck 25OUTLAW.
Speedy
What did you end up getting and why? Just curious about the outcome?