PDA

View Full Version : tow vehicle choices/ MOTOR HEADS NEEDED

nodigg
06-04-2003, 08:54 AM
It's time to replace the '98 Tahoe...200,000 miles and still going strong but for how much longer???
I'm going for the new "no body cladding" Avalanche or the Cadillac EXT. My question is, I want the best towing power so why does the EXT have a lot more torque and HP than the Avalanche but almost a thousand pounds less tow capacity? Is it the all wheel drive or maybe the weight of the Cadillac bells and whistles that reduce it's capacity?
In the end, which will pull harder up a hill given equal loads? :confused: :confused:

91nordic29
06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
just bought a chevy 2500HD duramax to tow our 29' nordic (boat & trailer appx 8,000 lbs. pulls like a dream.

PussyPusher
06-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Nodigg check your Pm!

HammerDown
06-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Ya want the BEST towing power, one word...DIESEL.
And toss in better fuel economy just for giggles.

nodigg
06-04-2003, 09:07 AM
I did consider the Mitsubishi powered Chevy and took a test drive. Impressive power, ride, and handling I thought. (GOBS OF TORQUE!) and not too noisy for a diesel....but still a diesel. (Had one and I own class 8 trucks) Since I don't tow every day I didn't want the rougher ride that comes with the 2500 specs. GREAT TOW CHOICE HOWEVER!

nodigg
06-04-2003, 09:09 AM
HammerDown:
Ya want the BEST towing power, one word...DIESEL.
And toss in better fuel economy just for giggles. NO doubt diesel IS the best for towing. But I only tow a small percentage of my miles. I need more creature comfort than diesel allows. I think I am just tired of the smell after all these years of truckin'!

swac
06-04-2003, 09:15 AM
You can get a Avalanche 3/4ton with a 8.1 (496) it will tow most anything you throw at it.
-swac

nodigg
06-04-2003, 09:21 AM
PussyPusher:
Nodigg check your Pm! back at ya'

91nordic29
06-04-2003, 09:23 AM
doesnt that 8.1 only get appx 9 mpg?

nodigg
06-04-2003, 09:25 AM
swac:
You can get a Avalanche 3/4ton with a 8.1 (496) it will tow most anything you throw at it.
-swac No DOUBT! I talked to a few owners with that set up but the 8.1 sucks the boat money right out of your bank account it seems. All the extra weight with the frame and all on the 2500. I guess I will not be able to replace my 20 mpg Tahoe without some sacrifices? But I WOULD like to see Chevy put the 6.1 option in the Avalance. Or how about the 8.1??? Probably bend the half ton frame when towing eh?

swac
06-04-2003, 09:26 AM
my friend has one in a suburban and i think he gets like 12.....
-swac

nodigg
06-04-2003, 09:28 AM
91nordic29:
just bought a chevy 2500HD duramax to tow our 29' nordic (boat & trailer appx 8,000 lbs. pulls like a dream. Did you get the 4 wheel drive 4-door?? Or are they putting it in the Avalanche 2500 as well?

MagicMtnDan
06-04-2003, 09:29 AM
nodigg:
I'm going for the new "no body cladding" Avalanche or the Cadillac EXT. My question is, I want the best towing power so why does the EXT have a lot more torque and HP than the Avalanche but almost a thousand pounds less tow capacity? Is it the all wheel drive or maybe the weight of the Cadillac bells and whistles that reduce it's capacity?
In the end, which will pull harder up a hill given equal loads? :confused: :confused: [/b]
Both are, in my opinion, good choices. I've got the Avalanche 2500 4x4 with 8.1L big block, 4.10 gears and more, with body cladding which I think looks great lifted (my opinion).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672Avalanche_June_2003_01-med.JPG
As for the EXT, it runs at least $15,000 more and I wouldn't recommend it over the Av - here's why:
* EXT comes only with 6.0L V-8 and all wheel drive
* Avalanche 1500 comes only with 5.3L and 2-wheels drive (Z66) or 4-wheel drive (Z71)
* Avalanche 2500 comes with 8.1L big block (two or four-wheel drive).
* You can get a fully loaded 2500 with 8.1L big block (no Allison tranny option but big block comes with upgraded tranny) for about $37,000 out the door (great interior - just like Suburban interior) which is easily $15,000 less than Cadillac EXT (and saves more on taxes, etc.).
Something else to consider about these vehicles - they ride much better than a pick-up truck - they're based on the Suburban chassis so you have the versatility of a pick-up (trust me - these trucks can do it all - carry 5 people in comfort and lots of stuff in the back which is protected from the elements and locked up) with a great ride.
I don't know how these vehicles compare in terms of towing but I'll bet the Caddy doesn't come close to the 8.1L big block.
One last thing - go to Chevy Avalanche Fan Club North America (CAFCNA) (http://www.cafcna.com) and you'll find tons of information on all of the Avalanches and the EXT (including some comparisons and pricing, etc.). Do a search and you'll find what you're looking for.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Good luck!

76 Sleekcraft
06-04-2003, 09:32 AM
For What its worth, I have a 2002 Avalanche.
It has the 5.3, and is loaded.
I pull my Ski Nautique and my Sleek Craft Jet with ease.
It gets around 18 on the Highway, not towing.
It has about 35,000 on it now.
I personally am very happy with it, it does what I want it to do.
Just my .02
Hope that helps..........

91nordic29
06-04-2003, 09:36 AM
we got the 2WD crew cab LT.(too many bells and whistles but it was either that or spend 4 grand on 4WD that we dont need). we were towing with a 99 dodge ram 1500 2WD with an extra leaf in the rear but we didnt know how long that was gonna last eek!

nodigg
06-04-2003, 09:37 AM
MagicMtnDan:
nodigg:
In the end, which will pull harder up a hill given equal loads? :confused: :confused: [/b]
Both are, in my opinion, good choices. I've got the Avalanche 2500 4x4 with 8.1L big block, 4.10 gears and more, with body cladding which I think looks great lifted (my opinion).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/672Avalanche_June_2003_01-med.JPG
As for the EXT, it runs at least $15,000 more and I wouldn't recommend it over the Av - here's why:
* EXT comes only with 6.0L V-8 and all wheel drive
* Avalanche 1500 comes only with 5.3L and 2-wheels drive (Z66) or 4-wheel drive (Z71)
* Avalanche 2500 comes with 8.1L big block (two or four-wheel drive).
* You can get a fully loaded 2500 with 8.1L big block (no Allison tranny option but big block comes with upgraded tranny) for about $37,000 out the door (great interior - just like Suburban interior) which is easily $15,000 less than Cadillac EXT (and saves more on taxes, etc.).
Something else to consider about these vehicles - they ride much better than a pick-up truck - they're based on the Suburban chassis so you have the versatility of a pick-up (trust me - these trucks can do it all - carry 5 people in comfort and lots of stuff in the back which is protected from the elements and locked up) with a great ride.
I don't know how these vehicles compare in terms of towing but I'll bet the Caddy doesn't come close to the 8.1L big block.
One last thing - go to Chevy Avalanche Fan Club North America (CAFCNA) (http://www.cafcna.com) and you'll find tons of information on all of the Avalanches and the EXT (including some comparisons and pricing, etc.). Do a search and you'll find what you're looking for.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Good luck! Awesome looking truck! Gotta luv a lifted Avalanche! Thanks for the info. I'm more of a lowered kinda' guy so I lean towards two wheel drive with posi rear ends for boat ramps. I like the Caddy's air bag rear suspension, (auto leveling), I put it on my lowered Tahoe 4 years ago. I hate when a truck hunkers down in the back with a load. I appreciate the link. I'll check it out.

Nubbs
06-04-2003, 11:18 AM
nodigg:
My question is, I want the best towing power so why does the EXT have a lot more torque and HP than the Avalanche but almost a thousand pounds less tow capacity? Is it the all wheel drive or maybe the weight of the Cadillac bells and whistles that reduce it's capacity?
A given vehicle is only rated to handle so much combined weight (vehicle, cargo, people, trailer, etc). I think it's called CGVWR (combined gross vehicle weight rating). So, the more the vehicle weighs, the less it can tow. The avalanche and the caddy probably have the same CGVWR, but as you said, the caddy probably weighs more.

Chase
06-04-2003, 01:02 PM
I may stand to be corrected here, but if you are only towing a small percentage of the time, and still want the comforts...how about the new GMC Denali pickup. It has the 6 litre in there with around 300 ponies (I Think) complete with all the luxuries including the 4 wheel steering.
I don't know what you will be pulling, but the 6.0 might give you a little better mileage in the long run...depending on how much you tow. No piont running the 8100 if you aren't towing, and for the amount you will be towing then maybe just eat a little bit of poor mileage.??
My .02

Lightning
06-04-2003, 01:39 PM
I have an Avalanche with the 5.3L & 3.73 gears, I don't have any complaints on the towing. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten the 4.10 gears in the same truck (they are just hard to find). I am a member over at Chevy Avalanche Fan Club (http://www.cafcna.com) there is more info then you would want on the Avalanche at their site.

nodigg
06-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Lightning:
I have an Avalanche with the 5.3L & 3.73 gears, I don't have any complaints on the towing. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten the 4.10 gears in the same truck (they are just hard to find). I am a member over at Chevy Avalanche Fan Club (http://www.cafcna.com) there is more info then you would want on the Avalanche at their site. What are you towing?

nodigg
06-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Chase:
I may stand to be corrected here, but if you are only towing a small percentage of the time, and still want the comforts...how about the new GMC Denali pickup. It has the 6 litre in there with around 300 ponies (I Think) complete with all the luxuries including the 4 wheel steering.
I don't know what you will be pulling, but the 6.0 might give you a little better mileage in the long run...depending on how much you tow. No piont running the 8100 if you aren't towing, and for the amount you will be towing then maybe just eat a little bit of poor mileage.??
My .02 Good way to get the 6 litre, (which is what I want in the Avalanche but can't have), but I am already giving up my station wagon rear end so a pick-up won't suit my needs as well as the multi-configuration of the EXT/Avalanche. Also GM in its wisdom decided to ONLY gice Cadillac customers the 345 horses in a 6.0! frown

Hallett19
06-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Good Times!
[ June 04, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

MagicMtnDan
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Nubbs:
nodigg:
My question is, I want the best towing power so why does the EXT have a lot more torque and HP than the Avalanche but almost a thousand pounds less tow capacity? Is it the all wheel drive or maybe the weight of the Cadillac bells and whistles that reduce it's capacity?
A given vehicle is only rated to handle so much combined weight (vehicle, cargo, people, trailer, etc). I think it's called CGVWR (combined gross vehicle weight rating). So, the more the vehicle weighs, the less it can tow. The avalanche and the caddy probably have the same CGVWR, but as you said, the caddy probably weighs more. Nope.
The 2500 Avalanche (only way to get an Avalanche with the 8.1L) with the big block will tow a LOT more than the Caddy.
And as for weight, there aren't too many vehicles on the road (with four wheels) that weigh as much. My 2500 Av weighs almost 7,000 empty!
By the way, you cannot (not this year anyway) get an Av WBH (Without Body Hardware [cladding]) if you want the 2500 so you'll need to get the 1500 Av (2-wheel drive that you like is Z66 package).

TheEduKATor
06-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Nodigg, I had a 98 Tahoe as well, I recently got rid of it for a 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty, XLT, 4x4, V-10. My Tahoe basically was a lemon, it fell apart at the welds, blue the head gasket, rear end, and transmission. All this and it only had 77 thousand miles on it. I only towed my new cat with the Tahoe 4 times, the other times I towed a 19 foot jet boat. I know I am giving up a few mpg compared to my Tahoe, but the difference is like night and day. I was able to make it from Havasu to Redlands CA on a full tank of gas. The last trip out, I was fully loaded with 6 people, all the gear, a 26 foot Cat, and I forgot I was towing a boat when I reached Chiraco summit. I have been a chevy man all my life, but I had a great deal of $27,500 for my new ford. I couldn't pass it up. Of course my father says I can't park in his drive way, but he sure doesn't complain about me driving a ford when he is climbing in the boat at the launch ramp in Havasu. What towed the boat across the desert to get there, o that's right it was a Ford.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/550newtruck.jpg

Jordy
06-04-2003, 07:20 PM
nodigg:
I did consider the Mitsubishi powered Chevy and took a test drive. And all this time I thought my Duramax was an Isuzu... :confused: :D :D

MagicMtnDan
06-04-2003, 10:00 PM
TheEduKATor:
Nodigg, I had a 98 Tahoe as well, I recently got rid of it for a 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty, XLT, 4x4, V-10. No offense but that V-10 engine doesn't have the displacement or power of the Chevy 8.1L, 496 cubic inch big block.
Bow ties rule argue

TheEduKATor
06-05-2003, 11:10 AM
None taken. It may not have the displacement, but it sure does have some balls and it hasn't fallen apart like my Tahoe. The welds holding my upper control arms to the frame haven't snaped like they did in my Tahoe. Like I said, i've been a Chevy man all my life, it took a lot of courage for me to post a reply and talk good about a Ford. To each their own, Ford vs Chevy, it all comes down to personal preference. It really doesn't matter for me because every car i've ever owned has been a lemon. It just a matter a time before I get problems with my new FORD, i'm sure of that.
Old Tow Rig
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/550tahoe2-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/550tahoe_boat-med.jpg

dimarcobros
06-05-2003, 11:17 AM
I know there is a never ending debate over which is better: Chevy or Ford. My theory is that as long as it is AMERICAN I have no problem with either. Although I do drive a Chevy at this time. :)

Lightning
06-05-2003, 11:24 AM
nodigg:
Lightning:
I have an Avalanche with the 5.3L & 3.73 gears, I don't have any complaints on the towing. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten the 4.10 gears in the same truck (they are just hard to find). I am a member over at Chevy Avalanche Fan Club (http://www.cafcna.com) there is more info then you would want on the Avalanche at their site. What are you towing? 21xs Ultra

SoCalOffshore
06-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Over the last 15 years, I and my wife have owned 10 new cars/trucks virtually every make and model, and I have never had a lemon. Rarely ever had a problem. You must be cursed EduKator, LOL

SoCalOffshore
06-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah, when I got my DMax in April they offered a $3,000 rebate. The Avalanche was a $4,000 rebate. I would have purchased it, but they don't offer it with the DMax. Good luck.

HOSS
06-06-2003, 04:29 AM
Honda Civic. Hatchback of course!

Blown509Liberator
06-06-2003, 05:09 AM
jordanpaulk:
nodigg:
I did consider the Mitsubishi powered Chevy and took a test drive. And all this time I thought my Duramax was an Isuzu... :confused: :D :D It is.........Mitsubishi? Were the heck did that come from. Oh and BTW We make the fuel system for that truck and is the reason it is so quite (Bosch).
P.S. I like the shake rattle and roll, That why I have a powerstroke!
MikeW
[ June 06, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Blown509Liberator ]

SchellSchock
06-06-2003, 12:02 PM
I bought a Suburban 2500 LT/Autoride with the 8.1 Big Block. No regrets whatever. I don't drive easy and I'm getting 11.2 mpg around town, 12.8 on freeway with cruise on, and 10.0 pullin the boat. This isn't great mileage but it is worth it when "Smokin" Expiditions and Excursions. The torque is less than the diesel but the offline acceration beats everything cept' sports cars. :D

DogHouse
06-06-2003, 12:35 PM
I gotta agree, the 8.1 is a great motor as long as you don't mind dumping fuel into it. I just love to hear that big block howl!!! :D

Jordy
06-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Blown509Liberator:
It is.........Mitsubishi? Were the heck did that come from. Oh and BTW We make the fuel system for that truck and is the reason it is so quite (Bosch) I know it's an Isuzu and I love it.
BTW, I work for the Allison dealer here in town. :D :D :D