PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a Convertible Boat? Open/Closed Bow Fantasy or Reality?

MagicMtnDan
08-17-2003, 05:20 PM
I personally think that a closed bow boat looks better than an open bow. That said, I still don't understand what folks do with a closed bow. Sure you can sleep in it but it's not something I'd want to do unless it's a big boat with air conditioning.
Still, I've always wanted the closed bow look with the versatility of an open bow boat. And I wondered if it would be possible - couldn't someone design and build an open bow boat that had a ribbed (for strength so it could be walked on) 2-piece removable fiberglass cover for the open bow area?
And of course it would be very cool if it somehow could slide electrically (of course) out of sight in the open position when the open bow is desired. That might be asking for a lot (all kinds of engineering challenges) but it was a fantasy.
Or is it? I just read a 2002 Boat Test in Powerboat Magazine and it talks about a Sunsation 288 boat that features a rigid cover for its bow section and removable lounge cushions on the deck over the midcabin. And guess what? The 28'8"-long, 8' wide boat looks "really good" up close, too.Here's a link to the test report:
Click here to read the review on the Sunsation 288 Open Bow (http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2002tests/april2.php)
http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/graphics/2002tests/04/sunsationa.jpg
Unfortunately the article doesn't seem to explain "the rigid cover over its bow section" - is anyone familiar with this boat and if so, can you please explain if this cover is close to my dream of the ultimate "convertible boat?" Having an open bow boat that could be closed bow in when desired (when there's a few people on the boat or when heading out in the ocean or when the weather is less than ideal, etc.) seems to me to be a great idea in need of a practical solution.
Thanks
[ August 17, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

jlnorthrup122
08-17-2003, 06:37 PM
You should make one up dude! the electric retractor dealio sound very complecated though! I guess it would depend on the design of the boat! sounds cool I know they do make a vinly cover for those compatments!

VillainDave
08-17-2003, 06:59 PM
I've been looking at the Sunsation 288
It is a hard cover but over time it's just gonns warp and look bad after time.
I guy at the lake had an Ariva with a hard cover for the bow but it just didn't look that good. :confused:

AzDon
08-17-2003, 07:05 PM
It could absolutely be done as a rolltop! also could be done as a VW kombibus soft slider with bows. Something structurally weatherproof like this would be a big improvement for seaworthiness in stormy conditions!

al cole'holic
08-17-2003, 07:35 PM
I have personally thought of this too MagicMtnDan...it took some serious thought before I finally ended up going with an open bow. I too think the closed bow looks nicer but with the amount of people I cruise with usually I couldn't see sticking people under not knowing where there were going, not seeing anything, and not gettin that boating feeling you know. I prefer riding in the open bow, that is when I have someone driving I feel can drive :D . I went as far in my thinking about the open bow "top" that I looked into the manufacturing process of toneau covers. I figured a system built to cover over the lines of the interior of the top of the deck could be secured in the center with a pole or two that might rachet into a housing in the floor of the open bow portion...damn, now that the wheels are spinning on this again....

MagicMtnDan
08-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Well based on the responses it's good to see that I'm not a complete lunatic (don't need any second opinions on that :D ).
If we're gonna dream a hard cover up for the open bow then let's do it right...
I think the keys to making it look like as much like as closed bow as possible would be:
1. making the removable cover flush with the deck of the boat
2. making it look seamless as possible
To make it flush would require that the open bow insert (the upholstered "tub") would need to be below the deck instead of above it like most of them are now). I'm assuming that the padding comes up and over the deck area is to pad the hole/edges of the fiberglass deck. There'd need to be a way to make that edge safe while the tub is below the deck (I'm not familiar with the structural design of the open bow boats so I don't know how the deck and tub are supported/strengthened).
If the deck is flat then the cover could fit into the open bow area and the edges of the cover could theoretically sit on top of the tub (the padded sides of the tub that passengers sit in). The cover could be in two pieces with one piece having a 'u' shaped channel so the other piece could have a downturned lip that would sit into the channel. That would be how the two pieces could lock together (there could be some features like pins and slots in the two pieces to keep them in the proper orientation).
I'm not familiar with fiberglass and other layups like carbon fiber to know what it would take to make the panels strong enough to support weight. And of course there'd have to be some method of locking the covers in place so they wouldn't pop up and out of place.
I know rolltop covers are used on the backs of pickup trucks but they'd probably be unsightly to look at. I wouldn't even mind if the cover was a large one-piece affair - if it looked good on the boat and the boat looked good with it off. Taking off a one-piece cover would certainly be a two-person job but depending on the plans for the day and/or the weather, it could be removed and put in the back of a pick-up truck or (this might be a bad idea) it could possibly be held in place on top of the engine hatch (some convertible cars - actually they're targa tops are stored like this when they're removed).
I know there are a lot of creative and talented people on this board so I'm sure others have some very good ideas on how this could be done. I love the idea and hope someday to see an elegant way to do this.

TheLurker
08-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Speaking of the back of pickup trucks, those fiberglass tonneau covers they make these days fit the truck beds pretty well.
You could make a mold from of any boat you wanted to so it would fit perfict. Then make your cover and the stainless steel hold down pins that would be on the bottom side of the cover would fit into a reciever in the top of the boat (use the same idea as a pop up cleat) Minimum of 3. 1 at the very bow and the other two at the back corners.
You could even have an optional bow light on the "Boat Tonneau Cover"

TheLurker
08-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Well we will be seeing something like that in a few years. There goes a million dollar idea