PDA

View Full Version : How many Clampers do we have here?

superV
07-30-2003, 06:18 AM
What says the Brother?
SuperV is a Clamper :D

TrailerparkTJ
07-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Clamper here...though probably not for very much longer.

superV
07-30-2003, 07:03 AM
TrailerparkTJ:
Clamper here...though probably not for very much longer. Once a clamper always a clamper! So what says the brother?

Boozer
07-30-2003, 07:22 AM
WTF is a clamper???? :confused: :confused:

burbanite
07-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Boozer:
WTF is a clamper???? :confused: :confused: Ask this guy... :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119Image070_copy.JPG

Blown 472
07-30-2003, 07:29 AM
WHat is that all about, some corp stuff to make you a better team player or something?

Boozer
07-30-2003, 07:31 AM
burbanite:
Boozer:
WTF is a clamper???? :confused: :confused: Ask this guy... :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119Image070_copy.JPG Looks like he had a bad day snipe hunting.

SCUBA STEVE
07-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Boozer:
WTF is a clamper???? :confused: :confused: I was wondering the same thing. :confused:
The picture of that guy was from an episode of fear factor. lol :D

Freak
07-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Clamp on Clamp off the clamper. I have owned a few so I'm in. Aka eggbeater's or WACKA!
[ July 30, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

eliminatedsprinter
07-30-2003, 08:08 AM
I've got a weedacker clamped on my ride..

superV
07-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Boozer:
WTF is a clamper???? :confused: :confused: Hey watch your tone when speaking to a Clamper! eek!
I would tell you but then I would have to kill you devil But in short it is the kinda like the Masons but older. wink

uvindex
07-30-2003, 09:49 AM
But in short it is the kinda like the Masons but older.Now that the cat's out of the bag, here's some info from the Web:
"Some Californians are Elks, others are Moose, and some even are Lions. But the most colorful of them all are the Clampers, members of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, a fraternal organization founded back in the gold rush days. Apparently it all began as a spoof on other lodges and secret societies, but its history is a little difficult to reconstruct. The early meetings of E Clampus Vitus were devoted so completely to drinking and carousing that none of the Clampers was ever in any conduction to keep minutes, let alone remember what had happened the next day!"

Boozer
07-30-2003, 09:56 AM
If that's a clamper then where do I sign up?

superV
07-30-2003, 10:23 AM
He found us. And if your thinking of joinning them prepare to look like this guy if your lucky! :rolleyes:

Boozer
07-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Look like that guy. Hell I USE to look like this guy http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/721up-women-00277.jpg
Looking like that isn't so bad.

Ziggy
07-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Had two clampers before my current jet of ten years...now going to I/O

Ziggy
07-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Glad to help Forensic :D I do better when I'm not trying to help than when I do :rolleyes:

uvindex
07-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Ummm, although outboard-owners might also refer to themselves as clampers, I'm pretty sure the intent of the original poster is for the "other" meaning of Clamper.
The Evidence, in the form of quotes from superV:
(1) "Once a clamper, always a clamper."
(2) "What says the brother?"
(3) "But in short it is the kinda like the Masons but older."

burbanite
07-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Getting warmer...

carbonmarine
07-30-2003, 12:04 PM
VERY GAY ..........
Rick32
A Short History of E Clampus Vitus
E Clampus Vitus has been a men-only organization since its inception. Although the exact date of ECV's birth is lost (and for that very reason a source of much lively debate), it is known to have been active in the United States since the 1800's, and probably much earlier. Unfortunately, no records survive from earlier times.
In 1845, in Lewisport, West Virginia, one Ephriam Bee, a tavern, hotel, and stable owner, received a commission authorizing him to extend the work and influence of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus. It is said that Eprhiam received his commission from the Emperor of China, via Caleb Cushing, on the latter's return from a trip opening diplomatic and trade relations with the mysterious Kingdom of China, in 1844. Bee felt any upstanding man who had come of age could join, so eventually, when other more restrictive fraternal organizations failed, E Clampus Vitus grew stronger. One Joe Zumwalt is credited with bringing the organization into California. Some accounts say he and a family of eight left Joliet, Illinois in March of 1849, arriving in Sacramento on October 23, 1849. Others say he came on horseback from Missouri with his partner and Clamper Brother W.C. (or C.W.) Wright. They were apparently unsuccessful in starting a lodge in Hangtown (now Placerville). In 1850, Joe moved on to Mokelumne Hill. Mokelumne Hill Lodge No. 1001 held its first meeting in September, 1851. Arguments continue over whether Moke Hill was "first," or Downieville, or Sierra City, or... At any rate, before long there were Chapters the length and breadth of the diggin's. Drummers (traveling salesmen) often found it difficult to sell their wares, unless they were Brothers of ECV. (An early credo was "Clampers only patronize Brother Clampers.") In those days, the initiation usually cost whatever the poor sucker had on his person, and lasted until his poke had been drunk dry.
As more and more people came west, many fraternal organizations such as the Masons, Elks, and Oddfellows came along, too. They were apt to be clannish and somewhat disapproving of the rowdy miners they encountered, for they took themselves and their pomp and ceremony quite seriously. To make fun of the fancy sashes and bejewelled vests the others wore, the Clampers took to cutting tin can lids into odd shapes and pinning them to their own simple vests, most often worn over a bright red union suit. They called this "wearing your tin," a practice continued to this day, although badges, ribbons, and enameled pins have taken the place of tin can lids.
Entertainment was a cherished commodity in the diggin's, for life was hard, often brutal, and just as often short. Rather than add to life's burdens, Brothers of E Clampus Vitus sought to lighten the load. They looked on the absurdity of life as something to be cherished. With tongues set firmly in cheek, they hailed each other as "Noble Grand Humbug," "Roisterous Iscutis," "Grand Imperturbable Hangman," "Clamps Vitrix," and "Royal Gyascutis." Flowery oratory, ribald songs, and practical jokes were much admired. Yet the group was a highly respected, benevolent organization. For example, when a miner fell ill or died, the group would collect food, money and other items, take them to the widow and any orphans who had been left behind, and comfort them - especially the widow. Numerous newspaper accounts attest to the Brothers' generosity, such as the time when they braved swollen rivers, snowstorms, and treacherous trails to deliver Christmas gifts to some poor unfortunates who otherwise would have had nothing.
The organization all but died out around the turn of the century, but was revitalized in 1931 by a San Francisco historian by the name of Carl Wheat, along with his friends George Ezra Dane and Leon 0. Whitsell. (Dane, who most often wrote his signature as "G. Ezra Dane," often claimed the "G" stood for "GeeHosaphat." According to Wheat, the "O" in Whitsell's name was for "Obstreperous.") Wheat had found many references to ECV in his historical research, and thought it would be a fitting vehicle for the commemoration and preservation of a segment of California and U.S. History he feared was being lost. He also thought it just might be fun...

carbonmarine
07-30-2003, 12:04 PM
[ July 30, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: carbonmarine ]

burbanite
07-30-2003, 12:21 PM
It all started here (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003121#000004). ..

Ziggy
07-30-2003, 12:22 PM
This is a boating site so I certainly thought he'd keep the subject matter related to boating :rolleyes: :D

CA Stu
07-30-2003, 12:38 PM
I've run into a group of these folks while out 4 wheeling.
Seems kind of sophomoric to me, but whatever floats your boat, (<-- boating content) I guess.
They have put up a bunch of informative placques around CA trails and historically significant areas, which is cool, but they dress up and have weird rituals and stuff which just seems a bit rainbow to me.
CA Stu
I think the questions is "How goes the brethren?"
and the answer is supposed to be some big secret, but you can find it out through googling.

CA Stu
07-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Crap double post!
Can we have more bolt ons and back door mamas?
CA Stu
[ July 30, 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: CA Stu ]

LUVNLIFE
07-30-2003, 07:56 PM
I think a Clamper might be like a strap on. :D :D

Kindsvater Flat
07-30-2003, 08:12 PM
For those that are clampers.....Have you ever met Candy?

Kim Hanson
07-30-2003, 08:26 PM
If you are asking about " OB'S ", yes I run a clamp-on and you know what, I bet I can spank most of you...It's not no high pitched squeal either, I have the V8........( . )( . )....... wink :D

Mandelon
07-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Too Many!!! wink

07-30-2003, 11:09 PM
I'd never join an organization that would have me as a member. :D

Coach
07-31-2003, 08:18 AM
This all sounds too much like that movie Old School. A bunch of old guys trying to join a fraternity. :)