PDA

View Full Version : OT...Tile Job in Kitchen

78Eliminator
05-15-2003, 11:48 AM
I am going to put tile in my kitchen. I am tearing out two latyers of linoleum and I got it off for the most part. The questions is, what do you use to get the stuff that is stuck to the wood floor. It's like the top layer peeled off but it left a black linoleum base stuck on the wood. How do I get this stuff off? Even the scraper won't get it...

Ziggy
05-15-2003, 11:55 AM
I just did the same job myself few weeks back..its was a bitch but I got some heavy duty adhesive remover from H Depot, along with the scraper it came off(lots of sweat too). Make sure to remove ALL adhesive or else the thinset won't adhere properly and you'll get tiles that will come loose.
Good luck!

Screaming Pete
05-15-2003, 12:22 PM
78, why did you remove the floor and not just tile over it and use it forthe mostire barrier.. with a wood house I think that may have helped

spectratoad
05-15-2003, 12:25 PM
You may be able to just use some backerboard on the floor. That will give a good surface for the tiles to stick to.

78Eliminator
05-15-2003, 12:28 PM
I was told that I could not lay it on two layers of linoleum tiles. That I had to remove all the old linoleum, then use backerboard, then tile. My house was built in 1950 and is a raised foudation house. I took some pictures. The house looks like hell now. I want this done in a couple weeks if I can....

TrojanDan
05-15-2003, 12:34 PM
78Eliminator:
My house was built in 1950 and is a raised foudation house. Probably has asbestos in the mastic flooring/glue also.

78Eliminator
05-15-2003, 12:38 PM
TrojanDan:
78Eliminator:
My house was built in 1950 and is a raised foudation house. Probably has asbestos in the mastic flooring/glue also. Should I be worried?

MagicMtnDan
05-15-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm no expert on this stuff but that liquid remover smells like hell! But there is also a type of remover that doesn't smell as bad. Check the labels on the containers in the Home Depot or wherever you're buying the stuff.
I wonder (again, no expert) if a hardwood floor sander (you can rent them) would do a good job of sanding that stuff right down to the wood (and finish the wood smoothly too)? Seems to me that could be a good idea (better than that awful smell).

Boozer
05-15-2003, 12:46 PM
A little asbestos can actually be good for your blood from time to time. From what I hear Asbestos thins the blood and helps produce white blood cells.
Maybe stick your nose down to the floor and suck in some asbestos. It should be good for you and might even clear your sinuses if they're a little congested.

Hermosa
05-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Is that tile for "dekarashon... thatz it and thatz all... it's just for dekarashon"....
[ May 15, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Hermosa ]

Hermosa
05-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Hermosa:
Hey Bubb Rubb, is that tile for "dekarashon... thatz it and thatz all... it's just for dekarashon"....

78Eliminator
05-15-2003, 01:15 PM
It's like an alarm clock WHOOO WHOOOOO!!!!!!!
Ok, I'll use that shit and maybe a hard wood floor sander too. Heck, I like manual labor, it keeps it real.

Boozer
05-15-2003, 01:23 PM
I have always preffered Manuel Labor.
Keeps it just as real and prevents me from blowing out my knees and back.

25Elmn8r
05-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Don't worry about getting every bit of the linoleum backing/glue up. Just lay your hardi backer(Cement board) with either mastic or thin set with an acrylic additive and nail or screw as the directions say. Once dry(approx 24 hours) go ahead and set your tile and grout. Don't forget your grout sealer!

Mandelon
05-15-2003, 02:13 PM
78Eliminator:
It's like an alarm clock WHOOO WHOOOOO!!!!!!!
Ok, I'll use that shit and maybe a hard wood floor sander too. Heck, I like manual labor, it keeps it real. Oh my god NOOOOOOOO! If it is the old black mastic it is very likely to have asbestos in it. Don't sand it.
Scrape off the high spots only and lay Hardibacker over it. Screwed down, hardibacker is a great substrate and will help to eliminate any flex from the wood floor. Hardi backer should be set into a thinset bedding and then screwed 6 or 8" on center. It has little dots to help you.