PDA

View Full Version : Sugestions on cleaning boat vinyl.....

npb4me
10-10-2003, 09:49 AM
I have tried just about every brand of vinyl cleaner I can find in the part stores. It all works pretty good but I still have spots here and there that irritate me. Any suggestions on spot removal from white vinyl? Oh yeah, what kinda wax holds up the best to hard water too.
Thanks everyone, I really enjoy this forum.

BENZEEN
10-10-2003, 10:25 AM
npb,
I use a standard cleaner and go back with GoofOff for the small stains. I spray a little on a cloth, rub away the stain, then immediately wipe off the GoofOff with a damp rag. So far, this has worked well, without damaging the vinyl.
-Vik

75_Elim
10-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Comet or other cleansers have worked really well for me. It seems the slight abrasivness in the cleanser works to scrub the stains out.

Essex502
10-10-2003, 11:12 AM
GoJo hand cleaner with a nail brush to get into the texture of the vinyl followed with a wet rag, then another wet rag to remove the grit. When done use 303 Protectant. Also, for less stubborn dirt Simple Green works well.

life's a river
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
This sounds crazy! Quicknbrite. Works great. It's available at asseenontv.com. A friend of mine has been using it for years on his 1992 23' Advantage. The thing looks like new.
LAR

phebus
10-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Barkeepers Friend and Simple Green

rvrtoy
10-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Spray Nine works very well for your normal every day cleaning. 3M Citrus works very well for those more difficult areas. Soft Scrubb with bleach and a soft bristled tooth brush will make your stitching look like new. smile_sp

6 Dollar Boat
10-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Natures Orange or Simple Green, I dilute both with lots of water.

npb4me
10-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks everybody, I will try all your suggestions. I knew I came to the right place!!

phebus
10-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Just mix everthing suggested together. You will either come up with a super cleaner, or blow youself up!! eek!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-10-2003, 04:25 PM
I have unbelievable luck with vinegar. White, not the wine or apple. I used it to get rid of some mildew stains and it cleaned that area so well, it's all I've used ever since. . .and it's dirt cheap!! No spots, no dulling, it's beautiful. I dilute it down depending on the nature of the cleaning project (usually 1 cup to 1/2 gallon) It doesn't help with grease though.

AzDon
10-10-2003, 04:35 PM
My upholsterer cautioned against harsh cleaners like 409, castrol purple or Bleche White, although they DO clean!!! I've been real impressed with Meguir's marine vinyl cleaner/conditioner in the blue spray bottle. It helps keep the vinyl moisturized and has UV protectants in it.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Whitening toothpaste on the stains, simple green on most everything else, 3M Vinyl cleaner/protectant if I can find it.

anxious
10-10-2003, 05:34 PM
75_Elim:
Comet or other cleansers have worked really well for me. It seems the slight abrasivness in the cleanser works to scrub the stains out. comet and some water works great. dont use anything harsh cause your upholstery is a dye.

beyondhelpin
10-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Take this from someone who has learned from the school of hard knocks........dont use 409 or any harsh cleaner on your upholstery. My interior was about 5 years old. Great condition but just not quite brite white. 409 worked so well I started using about every 3rd week. Only took about a year to start deteriorating my stitching. Nothing drastic but the damage was done. But on the good side I have all brand new upholstery in my boat.

Three Days Only
10-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Westley's vinyl cleaner works the best for me when I can find it. Simple Green diluted with alot of water works great, just spray on a vinyl conditioner after to avoid drying anything out. Years of simple green in all my boats with no problems.

Outnumbered
10-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Stay away from the harsh stuff. Goof-off is awsome for taking off a lot of stuff but it will lift dried paint so its gotta be bad for your vinyl.
I have a friend who owns a carpet cleaning biz. I use his carpet solution (professional, not Wal-mart stuff) for the carpet and vinyl. Spray on and soak for 5 minutes, wipe off. For tough stuff, spray on, soak for 5, and scrub lightly with a medium hand scrub brush. It works awesome and is not damaging to nylon, vinyl, etc. I don't know what it's called but its a pale yellow granulated powder that you mix with water. Any carpet cleaner guy should be able to hook you up.
OL

Keith E. Sayre
10-11-2003, 08:00 PM
biggest secret I can think of for upholstery
cleaning is the small handbrush (plastic bristles)
that 3 or 4 people have already mentioned in this
post. It lifts the dirt out of the grain in the
material so that it can be rinsed out. using a
cloth seems to imbed the dirt even deeper into the grain even when using good detergetnts and cleaning agents, then your upholstery will appear
cloudy and grey rather than bright. Remember-scrub the dirt out with the brush then rinse it
off and dry it. I use simple green for the greasy stuff and shower power to brighten it all up.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

River Ric
10-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Hey Guys and Gals, I have also tried most of these cleaners over the past 15 years of boating. What is best is what works for you. A friend of mine also recommened Clorox Soft Scrub. It works great on the vinal and the Bimini cover too.IMy wife usually takes my bottle from my boay supplies and uses it arounf the house as well. Just be sure not to get it on the fiberglass as it will scratch. Good luck to all.
"Remember the River is nit just a Place, It's a State of Mind" :cool: :cool: :cool:

Essex502
10-13-2003, 05:45 AM
Don't forget to follow the cleaning with 303 Protectant. It's available online or from West Marine and plenty of other sources. Best UV proctectant I've found. Pricey but what's your vinyl worth, right?

River Lynchmob
10-13-2003, 07:10 AM
I use a cleaner called Folex at the end of each year. its a carpet cleaner that works wonders on both. you can get it at OSH and ocassionally at home depot.

GBLASER
10-13-2003, 08:13 AM
The best that I have found is made by Zep and is called "Powerhouse" Works great and is easy. I found it when I had some service done on my boat at Essex and that is what they use..I have been told by a number of people that simple green can discolor the stitching in the upholstery?
As far as the outside I always use The Wax Shop products and I always wipe down after each use with straight white vinegar. The chrome exhaust always looks new and the boat never has any spots on it. I also use it in the RV shower. No and it does not remove the wax.