PDA

View Full Version : Launching at the Dam Parker / Havasu

faster
03-26-2003, 01:01 PM
Has anyone used this Ramp? Is it crowded. is there a good spot to park my trailer after I launch? Any help would be greatly appreciated

airedout
03-26-2003, 01:16 PM
If you are talking about the little ramp on the Ariz. side above the dam, the ramp was short and had a pretty good drop off at the bottom of the slab. I have launced smaller boats(18 ft. and under) with out a problem there. Also heard that vandelism was a concern with the area being isolated.

XLGPP
03-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Friday and Sat. were a bitch to launch/load and park anywhere on Havasu. Sunday wasnt too bad. I think most of the crowd is gone now.

25Elmn8r
03-26-2003, 01:22 PM
If you are talking about Rocky Point(I believe is the name) I just launched there on Friday and have launched there many times in the past. It gets very busy in the summer, but last Friday there were 2 other trailers there when we launched. It is a narrow and somewhat steep ramp that drops off quickly. I launch my 25 daytona there without a problem. If you get there early enough in the summer you can usually get a parking spot.
I have never heard of or seen any vandalism there. My buddy did have some damage to his trailer when we came back as some yahoo cut a little too close and smacked his trailer, but that is the extent of what I have seen.

airedout
03-26-2003, 01:51 PM
I haven't had a problem with vandalism there either. Just heard stories about broken vehicle windows and keyed paint jobs during the summer "crazy" weekends from some of my friends that work in the sheriff's dept. at Parker.

Ziggy
03-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Friend of mine launches there all the time..least crowded of ramps but said the right side drops off if too close to the edge of ramp. Seen one family struggle for over an hour to get trailer/boat back up ramp after getting trailer hooked. They've never had any problem with vandals.

faster
03-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the info, I'll seya on the river

boatnam2
03-26-2003, 03:47 PM
xlgpp that is why i hate havasu and stay in parker.it dosent matter if its saturday at noon memorial weekend if i decide to go to the river i know when i get there i will put my boat in and take it out with no wait.try that at havasu it sucks i dont care what havasu hangin says.who in the hell wants to wait 2 hours to launch a boat a 2 hours to take it out.oh i forgot you can always get up at 4am and beat the rush to the channel.

mbrown2
03-26-2003, 03:52 PM
The ramp is called Take-Off Point. It is does have a drop off, and if Lake level is down in the early or late season, it can be a problem with a big boat....I go the Havasu Springs and just the 5 or 10 dollars to launch...Ramp is good and it appears to be a more secure place. :)

Ziggy
03-26-2003, 03:58 PM
boatnam2:
xlgpp that is why i hate havasu and stay in parker.it dosent matter if its saturday at noon memorial weekend if i decide to go to the river i know when i get there i will put my boat in and take it out with no wait.try that at havasu it sucks i dont care what havasu hangin says.who in the hell wants to wait 2 hours to launch a boat a 2 hours to take it out.oh i forgot you can always get up at 4am and beat the rush to the channel. Where is it that takes you two hours to launch? It's never taken me longer than 20minutes to get on the lake, Windsor or Site 6...even the marina goes slick unless theres a bunch of PWC people standing around knee deep holding 'em.
Sounds more like you were talking about Katherines.

boatnam2
03-26-2003, 04:03 PM
so if i go to havasu on memeorial weekend and go to site 6 at 8am i will get on in less then 20 minutes.im calling the bullshit card.i dont no about crazy horse never been.

boatnam2
03-26-2003, 04:04 PM
maybe xlgpp is just making up the story about having a hard time launching.

mtndewdrops
03-26-2003, 04:17 PM
My wife and I have launched there several times for the past 3 or 4 years and have not had ANY problems with Vandals. We tend to go on NON-Holiday weekends though. smile_sp
The ramp is 2 lanes, pretty steep but good when the water level is up. When the water is low, the right tire will go off the end of the ramp...4WD is a good idea. After launching the best place to pick up your tow vehicle driver is the fishing dock to the right of the boat ramp.
Next best place for us is CatTail cove which is $5 and is a easy ramp to use.

Ziggy
03-26-2003, 04:43 PM
boatnam2:
so if i go to havasu on memeorial weekend and go to site 6 at 8am i will get on in less then 20 minutes.im calling the bullshit card.i dont no about crazy horse never been. All I'm saying is that I haven't had any major time delays waiting in an endless line of trucks at either ramp I mentioned. Never done the crazyhorse myself. I usually use Windsor for convenience and am able to use the jet only launch where I can usually drive right to the ramp...only prob there is all the PWC's and bozo kids farting around on them....one good yell at them and they scare away easy :D
Memorial at site6...well you probably will wait some.... :mad:

XLGPP
03-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Where is it that takes you two hours to launch? It's never taken me longer than 20minutes to get on the lake, Windsor or Site 6...even the marina goes slick unless theres a bunch of PWC people standing around knee deep holding 'em.
Sounds more like you were talking about Katherines.
Dint take that long to launch (about 30mins) but had to create a parking spot in the overflow. but when we pulled in to load up (right before dark) it took almost an hour and a half to get out. This was a Windsor, saturday night. North and south ramp were equally busy.. Couldnt even cheat and use the pwc ramp cuz the water was too shallow.

XLGPP
03-26-2003, 05:17 PM
maybe xlgpp is just making up the story about having a hard time launching I may lie my ass off, BUT I never make up stories. eek!

SCUBA STEVE
03-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Memorial weekend is bad no matter where you launch in havasu. By 10am there is a line all the way across the bridge. I stay at crazy horse on the big holiday's. Most people get there at different times so launching is a breeze, the loading on that sunday is about 1/2 hr wait.
I am going to try launching at windsor next weekend, sounds like I have to get up early!!