PDA

View Full Version : macies room-redco

missboatnam1
02-13-2003, 07:47 PM
since i have had nothing but moral support from everyone here, macie is on her third month :) ...shes doing well, with some exceptions beyond my controll, (xhusben)..anyway, one thing i would like to do is redo her room, you know fresh start...all i need is to knock a small door way, and cover up the old door way..., im ready to redo her room, but i honeslty dont know where to start...the finacial part is there but slim....her schooling is ALOT of money, and her dad cut me out of any help..anyway, my motto is you never know till you ask....even advice would be helpful, im sure i could do it myself with a little supervision.....thanks
ow, she shes on leval 2, there is 6 levals... :D
[ February 13, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: missboatnam1 ]

Mandelon
02-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Gotta Hammer? Seriously....this is what I do. Before you go knocking out walls make sure its not a load bearing wall. Although a 36" opening shouldn't be a problem even if it was....
What do you want to know???

missboatnam1
02-13-2003, 08:27 PM
i want to know HOW!!! is there a book or something to show you how to build a wall?? seriously is it a hard thing to do???...you guys make it look so damm easy!!! boxed

Windy
02-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Good luck to ya Tina Mae wink

Boatcop
02-13-2003, 08:36 PM
There's a few forums out there for any type of DIY project. All kinds of specialized topics for everything from landscaping, to baths to boats and navigation.
(Guess which one I'm a moderator on?) :D
Go here...
Do It Yourself Forums (http://forum.doityourself.com/index.php)
...find the section which fits your project and ask away. There are experts that are chomping at the bit to answer you, and help your project along.

Boatcop
02-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Double post.
[ February 13, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

JetBoatRich
02-13-2003, 08:40 PM
MissHBjet:
Good luck to ya Tina Mae wink That helped :D
Go to Home Depot, they have lots of books. Lowes has a how to section on the web
LOWES HOW TO (http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=topicSelect&topic=howTo)

Windy
02-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey Rich...be nice you goober.

JetBoatRich
02-13-2003, 08:53 PM
MissHBjet:
Hey Rich...be nice you goober. I was nice, Goober your new word?

Windy
02-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Ok and no its old wink

JetBoatRich
02-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Friendly word, Tina has a little project in front of her.

Windy
02-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Goober= term of endearment

Mandelon
02-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Boogers, Goobers,....what about the hammer? I can't recall too many DIY pamphlets on opening up a new doorway in an existing wall....But it will explain how to fill one in. Filling it in is easy. Some 2x4's and two sheets of drywall. That's cake.
I'm going to make some assumptions that you have a normal house, and that you want to re-use the old door.
Take the door off the hinges by knocking the pins up and out the top of the hinges. Use a screwdriver and hit the head up or a big nail inserted in from underneath. The hinge pins may be painted on so it could take a good banging. (Couldn't we all wink )
Now pull off the moulding. Take a utility knife and carefully cut the joint where the wooden trim meets the wall. Then pry off the trim from both sides with a small prybar. Once the moulding is off You can then see the nails that hold the door jamb to the framing. Cut those with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. You probably don't have that do you? You could rent one or just carefully pull the jamb (that's the name for sides of the doorway wood) off the framing one side at a time. The finish nails that hold the jamb on should just pull through the wood. You can fill those holes later. Try to keep the 3 pieces of the jamb and header together. The header is the top.
Pull out any nails that may be hanging out now. I guarantee you will cut yourself if you leave them hanging out. Set all this stuff aside for reuse. Did I miss anything???
To install a new door opening:
First check both sides of the wall where you want the door to be. It's probably going to have some wiring running through it. Because that's just the way things work. :( You want to be careful not to cut through any romex cabling, doorbell wire, HVAC controller wire or anything else important.
Measure the opening of the doorway from which you just removed the old door. Measure and mark on the wall the new location. If you think it's right then go ahead and cut open one side of the drywall, your daughter's side....preferably. It's going to be dusty. So cover up anything you don't want to clean later. I'd suggest a hand drywall saw from Home Depot. They're like $6.00 +/-
Once you have one side of the wall open you can see just what's inside. Empty? good! Stuff inside? Call me. 858-279-7800
You will have to install some studs in the wall. You may be able to use one existing one as a king stud but will have to add your own trimmers for the header to sit on and cripples to transfer the load (if needed) to the new studs on the sides of the opening.
This could be hard.....but its not so difficult you can't do it. To hire a pro would probably run $500. If you're serious, PM me and I'll be happy to help you.

missboatnam1
02-13-2003, 11:55 PM
WOW,MANDELON!!!!....shezzeeee im ready to go!!! you make sound so frekin easy!!!...ill keep ya posted!!....before and after pics!!! eek! eek! eek! eek!
ow yes, keep your phone handy, it will be ringing!!
[ February 13, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: missboatnam1 ]