PDA

View Full Version : Who got a new Howard 25 Bullet?

TPI
07-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Dr Margarita, Thats who!
Yes, Dr margarita will be sportin a new 25 Bullet! I stopped by Howard today and snapped a couple pics. Wow, I take the guy for a ride and he goes and orders up one. Pretty cool DM, It looks better than the drawing.
GT
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383adm25.JPG

mbrown2
07-01-2003, 04:30 PM
GT:
Dr Margarita, Thats who!
Yes, Dr margarita will be sportin a new 25 Bullet! I stopped by Howard today and snapped a couple pics. Wow, I take the guy for a ride and he goes and orders up one. Pretty cool DM, It looks better than the drawing.
GT
Good looking rig....what kind of power is going in that? Another quad whipple bass boat to contend with?

TPI
07-01-2003, 04:37 PM
mbrown2:
GT:
Dr Margarita, Thats who!
GT
Good looking rig....what kind of power is going in that? Another quad whipple bass boat to contend with? I dont think DM is going for Quad rotor troller, I think hes looking at engines up to 600 hp. It does'nt take a whole lot of power to get the boat over 80 mph. Whatever it is, Im sure itll be cool.
GT

mbrown2
07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Regardless of power, that boat looks quick standing still...DR-M, sweet boat. :)

Freak
07-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Nice. I really like that model boat, problem is my poor ass can't afford one.

sandblasted
07-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Nice boat...I really like the Howard 26 cat but this 25 is pretty nice...Also it looks like Howard has finally woke up as far as their gel coating work...nothing dull about the color scheme on this boat...

TPI
07-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Its only a matter of time till DM gets home from work, logs on and says "what the!@#$%**! thats my boat!" Hopefully he will be happy with all the positive remarks.
GT

beer hunter
07-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Congrats Tom, that's a sweet lookin' ride ya got there :) Will it be finished before the Lake Powell trip? :)

BALLSDEEP
07-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Gary: check your PM.

Sun burners
07-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Nice!

dr. margarita
07-01-2003, 05:40 PM
What the @#$%**! That's my boat!! You got a better picture than I did GT. Gene and Mike we're glassing a new cat so I couldn't roll it out of the booth.
Thanks for all the comments guys! Now its time to give credit where credit is due. GT totally helped me out with developing the gel coat design. Then he supervised the taping for me to make sure it was done right. My wife and I are really pleased. I'm especially happy with the lime green.
Within a year, it will have a base Taylor Performance motor and a Teague Platinum drive, for now its a stock 496HO magnum. I'm putting in the hydraulic steering now so its not an expensive ordeal later. I'll post more pics as the boat develops.
I don't think it will be ready until sometime in August Beer Hunter.
Thanks for posting GT! DM

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-01-2003, 05:42 PM
:)Beautiful boat congrats to you all Enjoy and stay safe.

mbrown2
07-01-2003, 05:46 PM
dr. margarita:
Taylor Performance motor Taylor as in GT...good choice...his own engine speaks highly of the work he is capable of. If I were doing a 25, I would get the same Quad as GT...that is a sick package.

TPI
07-01-2003, 06:00 PM
BALLSDEEP:
Gary: check your PM. BD, I checked it and there was nothing there?Unless you were referring to my home e-mail?
Just to clarify, Those guys at Howard did not need me to supervise anything, I just kept sticking my nose in the booth to see how close to the picture it was going to be, IT WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Im glad your pleased DM.
GT

mmered8299
07-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Dr. Marg.
What will you do with the 1yr old 495mag? I'm thinking of pulling my yr-old motor too but not sure what to do with it?

dr. margarita
07-01-2003, 06:22 PM
I will sell the 496HO/Bravo 1 as a complete package. I'll ask a super fair price and it will have very few hours. I'll bet less than 50 and possibly still under warranty. I'll post the deal when I'm ready to make the switch.

01RENEGADE
07-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Very SWEET ride ENJOY :D

01RENEGADE
07-01-2003, 06:31 PM
OOPS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THUMBS UP

No strESSEX
07-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Hey Dr. M. Looks sweet!
Looking forward to some margs on the new ride soon. Congrats!

TPI
07-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe your "custom engine guy" will give you pretty good $$$ for it on a trade?
GT

TPI
07-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Hey DM do you run a gas powered blender or are we going to have to put an inverter in the boat. Maybe your an " On the Rocks" kinda guy
GT

dr. margarita
07-01-2003, 07:27 PM
No blenders necessary GT... No strESSEX can testify. Their hand shaken with only the finest ingredients, no mix. I think beer hunter has had a few himself.

kevnmcd
07-01-2003, 08:10 PM
dr. margarita:
No blenders necessary GT... No strESSEX can testify. Their hand shaken with only the finest ingredients, no mix. I think beer hunter has had a few himself. Hey, what about me? wink

TPI
07-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Hand shaken with no mix, How do ya pull off the margi taste? I heard some people put beer in them for added flavor? What do ya think?
GT

dr. margarita
07-02-2003, 06:32 AM
GT...that would be like pouring fruit punch into your gas tank. I use the juice of a certain kind of lime, lemon, maybe just a squeeze of an orange, Contreau, and primo clear tequila, like Don Julio Blanco or Patron Silver. Now your talking avgas through your quad rotor, not fruit punch. How do you think I earned my title??
Kevmcd also knows! Come on guys, lets post some Dr. Marg margarita reviews :D ! I like how no strESSEX describes them.

kevnmcd
07-02-2003, 06:40 AM
If you haven't had a margarita from Dr. M than you don't know what a real margarita taste like! wink But be careful....they will sneak up on you. :rolleyes:

TPI
07-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Hey DM,
That sounds pretty tasty :D As far as them sneaking up on me thats ok too? Also whats the matter with a little fruit punch in the gas tank? That quad of mine will drink anything, in fact it might even run better with a little fruit punch, AV gas would only fatten her up and slow her down. Its already too damn conservative! I need to drink some of those margs and fatten up and slow down myself.
GT

dr. margarita
07-02-2003, 02:22 PM
You'll be well taken care of GT!!
Two questions: Gene is telling me for 600hp, hydraulic steering is overkill especially considering 5k extra. He says all I need are external struts for $3200. Isn't the extra $1800 worth it for full hydraulic steering?
What date are you planning for your adults only trip?
Thanks, DM

TPI
07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
dr. margarita:
You'll be well taken care of GT!!
Two questions: Gene is telling me for 600hp, hydraulic steering is overkill especially considering 5k extra. He says all I need are external struts for $3200. Isn't the extra $1800 worth it for full hydraulic steering?
What date are you planning for your adults only trip?
Thanks, DM DM,
Like we talked about, full hudraulic steering is very nice, If you can afford it. Some people dont like to let go of the cash. You are already getting the dual ram set up you might as well step up to the full HD. There is no pulsating at slow speeds if you have a big cam, it just turns soft and smooth. You will be happy either way, but you will be happier with the full Hyd Steer.
GT

No strESSEX
07-02-2003, 04:08 PM
dr. margarita:
Come on guys, lets post some Dr. Marg margarita reviews :D ! I like how no strESSEX describes them. I believe my exact words were, "Dr. Margarita's ritas KICK ASS". Definetly the best margs I have ever had, and I have had a few in my day. :D
No cracks about my age, Kevmcd. cry

Aqua Boogie1
07-02-2003, 04:46 PM
That baby's nice....can't wait til I can have my turn. :cool:

TPI
07-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey DM,
They were color sanding it today, Ill bet they start buffing it in a week or so. The floors and gas tank are all done, it looks real good inside.
GT

dr. margarita
07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Primo! I gave Gene my build specs. I hope you don't mind that I referenced your boat wih respect to gauge and control package options. The platinum stuff looks great! Regarding the 28 Bullet referenced in the other thread...Did Mike recently sell his? I talked to him briefly about it. Or could his be for sale? DM

TPI
07-02-2003, 05:37 PM
DM,
Dont mind at all, it will look great against that blue/green.
GT

TPI
07-02-2003, 05:51 PM
In fact,
Hey DM, is this your new dash? If so, is that large hole for you to put your margi in? I figured the small hole on the left was for the tap. :D
GT http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383A1dash.JPG

kevnmcd
07-02-2003, 08:25 PM
No strESSEX:
No cracks about my age, Kevmcd. cry :D :D :D

dr. margarita
07-02-2003, 09:23 PM
I wish my dash was that far along! The sooner we'd find a cove and test the tap! :D
What's your guess on top speed with your base fuel injected motor in the 25 Bullet? I forgot to ask you what block you would build the motor with.
DM

TPI
07-03-2003, 06:40 AM
dr. margarita:
I wish my dash was that far along! The sooner we'd find a cove and test the tap! :D
What's your guess on top speed with your base fuel injected motor in the 25 Bullet? I forgot to ask you what block you would build the motor with.
DM DM, You need to read the same topic in the "HOT BOAT" section, its gotten interesting now.....
The base 600 is based on an all GM short block(similar to the HP500) with aluminum heads, ect...
But a ton of work goes into the EFI part of it, I am confident with a 28 lab, and a 1.50 GR it should run a solid 85 mph or better. Ask someone like "Hot Diggity Dog", He runs over 80 mph and Ill bet he can smoke just about everyone out there on any given day. Except for the occassional Big HP Small Boat guy, but their few and far between. 80 mph is fast, it really is, a true 80 mph boat is a winner if its reliable, thats the key! I also am doing a "600" illusion motor it has a Dart Block, Callies crank, Manley Rods, ect.... and its based on a 540 ci configuration. Looks just like the 600 from the outside, but about 60 hp more and gobs of torque. Still working on that one. A little pricey though. But speed costs $$$$. By Jan 1 04 all of my R & D will be complete and all the bugs will be sorted out. We should have a stout program.
GT

hottrodder
07-03-2003, 06:58 AM
I'm thinking that's GT's dash. Look at his sig and then the pic.
Question for GT & DM. I talked with Gene for a short time at the boatshow (standing next to, then unknown to me, GT's boat) about a bare hull. I'd like to have Brummett do my rigging as it would have one of his motors in it. Gene was understandably concerned about his name being on something that he didn't have full control over but began to warm up to the idea when I told him I wanted Brummett to do it. A 28' Bullet had just run 101 with Brummett power. My question is how do you think the 25' Bullet compares to the Hallett 255? I realize you both own Bullets but would liek to hear your comments. I'll tell you off the top that I'm concerned about the step bottom. The 255 has a conventional bottom. But the 255 has only 20^ of deadrise while the Bullet is 22.5^. We would like to do more boating @ Mead and the Vector just doesn't get it done on some days. Thanks for your thoughts.

TPI
07-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Hottrodder,
I will tell you anything you want to know about a Howard, but I cannot "compare" or talk about another maufacturers boat, just out of respect for them. They can represent their company better than I, so I try to stick with the facts that I know.
I know Gene is not going to be real excited about selling a bare hull to anyone at this point, He has his reasons. But Ill bet he would rig it out to the gimbal and let your engine guy build and install the motor/drive combo. What is it about the step that concerns you? Multiple steps or no steps should concern you. This ventilated step is an awesome ride, and it will turn as quick as anyones 20' boat. Whatever you are considering, RIDE IN IT FIRST! especially if its going to have decent power, then you need to ride in one with decent power. Dont be afraid to try it out in big water. All of the people that i have met, that wanted new boats, bought Bullets because of the overall handling of my Bullet in the BIG WATER, They rode in it, OR drove it for themself. A good test drive always will show the truth.
GT

Essex502
07-03-2003, 07:34 AM
How in the heck can I get a test ride in one in BIG water? I need to convince the wife we should upgrade - for her sake as she's tired of getting bounced around! :D

TPI
07-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Essex502:
How in the heck can I get a test ride in one in BIG water? I need to convince the wife we should upgrade - for her sake as she's tired of getting bounced around! :D We just need to all plan a trip around the same time/place and hook up. Or just wait for a local windy nasty day and meet at a good lake. I would definately make the effort. I believe in "sharing the wealth" I dont have any money to give, but I can definately tell you how you should spend yours if you want a fast, safe, reliable, well built, performance boat, that will hold its resale value for years to come.
GT

hottrodder
07-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Been unusually busy this morning and could only check this thread at lunch. Thanks GT for the honest approach and not crashing someone elses party. I fully expect to ride in both (or more) boats before making a decision. Good point about the apples to apples power and appreciate your willingness to let others benefit from your strengths. Along those same lines, where do you do most of your boating? Now I just need to find someone as willing as you with a 225.
My concerns on the bottom are lack of control and the spin-out factor. Admitiddly (SP?) my spin concerns may be unfounded as I've only ridden in a few step bottoms and even fewer times at speed so I personally have never experienced anything even close to this. But I figured there must be something to it when it seems it's a factor in everyone's write up about a step bottom.
I can certainly appreciate Gene's plug concerns about the new boat. To the gimbal may be a good compromise. If I wanted to do something a little different (guage pods, dash plate) with the dash/guages, is there a fabricator on-site?

TPI
07-03-2003, 12:32 PM
HRr,
I can see your concerns about the "spin out factor" I have heard of it happening, and I have done it on purpose in several boats just to see how hard I could push it. If you put the bow down on ANY V boat and crank the wheel hard, you WILL spin it out, or tip it over. The Bullets turn very smooth and as tight as you would ever want to turn a boat, WITHOUT LOWERING THE DRIVE! I used to have a boat that you had to lower the drive to turn it or it would porpose and slap all the way through the turn. A quick story: When I was working with the computor/map set up on my boat, I had a real good guy in the passenger seat with a laptop in his lap setting up the fuel. Well, we were making passes back and forth on a small CA lake and I kept having to turn around. Well at one point he said "take it up to 5000 rpm and lets see how we are looking". So I said OK but I have to turn around first, so I whip this turn, the boat didnt even have an hour on it yet, and it was the first 25. I was still getting used to it, and I looked over and the guys cheeks were flappin and I thought thats not some old geese with floppy skin, hes in good shape, why is he flappin, well I looked down and the GPS said we were going 73 mph! I had the thing trimmed in the drivable area and turned it in the same place. TRUE STORY! I will say it to my grave, "This is the best V bottom boat I have ever been in".
GT

TPI
07-03-2003, 12:38 PM
I almost forgot, with regard to fabrication. If its possible, it can be done. But there are notched places in the dash where the guage bezels set. There is always another cool way to do something.
GT
We might have to start another topic on this, its starting to take forever to load?

dr. margarita
07-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Hey guys, GT is right...ya gotta test drive one. We can converse all day long, but a ride is all it takes. I almost went with a high dollar deck boat until I went for a ride in all boats I was considering. The choice was very clear. If you want to be safe and have a boat perform really well in rough water, go Bullet.
I will always be available to anyone of you for test rides. I would love to set something up with GT at Havasu where you can check his out at fast speeds and mine to see what a 496HO does in it. Neither GT or I have any financial interest in nor work for Howard...it just feels good when you can steer a bro in the right direction.
DM

TPI
07-03-2003, 02:34 PM
dr. margarita:
Hey guys, GT is right...ya gotta test drive one. We can converse all day long, but a ride is all it takes. I almost went with a high dollar deck boat until I went for a ride in all boats I was considering. The choice was very clear. If you want to be safe and have a boat perform really well in rough water, go Bullet.
I will always be available to anyone of you for test rides. I would love to set something up with GT at Havasu where you can check his out at fast speeds and mine to see what a 496HO does in it. Neither GT or I have any financial interest in nor work for Howard...it just feels good when you can steer a bro in the right direction.
DM Thats pretty much it. I am not employed by Howard but I have helped them out in the past, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if they asked, I am a happy fireman that loves his job, and I take performance boating very seriously. I have been working on several EFI projects and hope to open the doors of a new business in Jan 04. We will have a lot to offer, it should be pretty cool. Theres no doubt we love our boat, and we are going to lean on her in a couple weeks and see what she'll really do.
GT

TPI
07-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey DM,
You scared evryone away from your topic. I thought we were here on these forums to talk? Man you would think you just walked into Howard and ordered your boat without talking to anyone. :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p Come back guys, baby GT has no one to talk Howards with.

BADAXE
07-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Maybe a bit over the top on the hype. :D

TPI
07-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Not baby GT anymore, thanks to the webmaster. Cool pic badaxe!

dr. margarita
07-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Yeah GT,we gotta start on new thread like how to catch a striper from a mega dollar boat without getting blood on it :D . Check out my idea on how to mess with Gene on your Avatar thread.

TPI
07-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Im one step ahead of you, on the Gene/Bass thing. With my boat in his showroom though, im going to have to wait until I have it for a while.

FMluvswater
07-06-2003, 08:54 PM
In my search for boat related vocabulary I found this article (it caught my attention because of this thread even though it's a different size :) )
Powerboat Magazine 2003 Performance Reports (feat.Howard 28' Bullet) (http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2003tests/march02.php)
Impressive acceleration times. Wow. Especially 50-70mph jawdrop ! Wicked cool. :cool:
[ July 06, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: FMluvswaterbabe ]