PDA

View Full Version : Are boat mechanics held accountable?

silver surfer
06-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Are boat mechanics required to give estimates on labor and parts before work like in the automobile industry? Please advise.

voodooCanoe
06-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Repair work needs to be estimated before the repair and cannot excede the estimate by more than 10%. But, if work being done is diagnostic work and auth was given to diagnose the problem, then you need to be careful. This can be open ended. Need to know more of the situation to help
you.
[ June 03, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: voodooCanoe ]

Dribble
06-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Boat repair is not held to the same standard as auto repair in California. I believe there are some statutes either in the Business & Professions Code or the Harbors and Navigation Code. However, since there is no oversight agency, no regulations have been adopted. Your recourse in a boat repair dispute is civil. I have seen Small Claims judges apply the written estimate laws for auto repair to boat cases. In CA there is no 10% margin in auto repair estimate regulations

silver surfer
06-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the help. I met with the owner and we came up with a fair compromise to the work completed.

Rod-64
06-03-2003, 07:03 PM
You gotta read that small, fine and faded print on your yellow copy they give you when you drop your boat off. It's usually right above or below where you sign. Also, at least where I go, you have to read all those signs on the wall behind the cash register....between all the jokes and girly pics. :)