PDA

View Full Version : Marine Subwoofer

Frosty_pop
06-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Has anyone ever seen or know where I can find a 12" marine subwoofer? I have gone through a couple of regular ones and am sick of replacing them.

Phat_Kat
06-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Well are you looking for a whole new setup or just the woofer. I can make a suggestion and maybe rig it up if you're interested in something a little out of the ordinary as a whole. PM me if you're interested.

Frosty_pop
06-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Just looking for a 12" Marine subwoofer that can handle about 200 watts of power. (Yes I run real power, not the bridged down, punk kid kind of trash)

Phat_Kat
06-02-2003, 10:40 AM
too bad because I like to use klipsch 15 inchers on the older boats. They're made for pc's but if you tweak the wires around a little they can work in a boat and sound awsome. They're the kind of woofers that will knock pictures off the walls when they're in you're house.

ROZ
06-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Frosty,
I know there are a few "marine" subs out there, but I can only think of a few for sure...Only 10's.... Kicker, Babb, and Clarion. The babb is a full range 10" driver model 1034 (100 watt RMS). Clarion has the CM2503 10" sub (free-air or enclosed, 300 max watts). Kicker has the KM10(125 RMS 250 peak).
EDIT: MB Quart NWD254 10"
Why do you keep blowing drivers? Other than a poly cone and rubber surround, the maine difference is that the tinsel leads have a rubber coating and a rust resistant basket....
[ June 03, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Kilrtoy
06-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Why a marine, why not a NAVY - SUB

Essex502
06-03-2003, 06:00 AM
ROZ...what would you recommend as the best 10" sub and an amp to drive it? Don't want to go more than 1 sub. For a boat that is. It would be mounted under the rear bench seat on a 21' boat.

riverbound
06-03-2003, 10:02 AM
You dont have to run a "marine" sub, just make sure the woofer you buy has a poly cone and a rubber surround. i have been building systems in boats for years and we never use "marine" equipment.

Frosty_pop
06-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Ok, if I don't use a marine sub, which one do you recomend then? I have not been able to find a 12" marine sub either.

big Doug
06-03-2003, 01:26 PM
I found this company out there is WWW.SALESCO.COM. (http://WWW.SALESCO.COM.) I have used them several times and got great service. They won't recommend anything. I also didn't want to put a lot of money in a boat system (easily stolen). I have spent a little over $170 on a 18" B-52 sub and it sounds unbelivible. Check them out.

ROZ
06-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Frosty_pop:
Ok, if I don't use a marine sub, which one do you recomend then? I have not been able to find a 12" marine sub either. I know there are quite a few out there, but here are a few to start..Maybe Riverbound could add some more....
Kicker 12L5's
Boston Pro's
Infinity Kapps Perfect 12.1or 12.1d's
Alpine Type R's SWR1241D or 1221D
Alpine Type S's SWS1241 or 1241D
JL uses a UV resistant Hybrid
PG subwoofers
Alumapro
Pioneer IMP subs
Vifa
Like Riverbound said, Poly cone and rubber type surround should be fine...
Essex502, It's really hard to say what is "best" when there are so many great products that will do the job. It will come down to what kind of sound you're looking for. For example: If you're looking to get as much output from a single driver as possible, I'd look no further than Kicker 10L5 in a well built enclosure and quality amp that puts out 400RMS at 12volts. Kicker is a "loud" speaker. Their old moto was the most bass from a small space, or something like that.
Most important, buy what sounds best to YOU.
Hope this helps, somewhat....

Essex502
06-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the list ROZ! I guess the hard part is shopping for a sub and amp system for the boat and not hearing it in a boaat when you are at the dealer. The acoustics must be different in boats than in showrooms as I'd believe the dealer would build the showroom to show-off the products he sells which may or may not be best in a boat.
I'm more interested in good clean sound and listen mostly to classic rock not the newer crap that's out (go ahead - flame away!).
rap=crap :D

RIVER WILD
06-04-2003, 02:49 PM
THE BEST PLACE TO GO FOR ANY AUDIO / VIDEO FOR BOTH MARINE AND AUTO IS V.I.P IN CARLSBAD CA ASK FOR TONY HE IS THE OWNER TELL HIM SLIDE OUT SHELVES SENT YOU
THEY ARE ALSO HAVING THERE GRAND OPENING THIS SAT. A LOT OF THE HIGH END INDUSTRY PEOPLE WILL BE THERE :D

ROZ
06-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Essex502:
Thanks for the list ROZ! I guess the hard part is shopping for a sub and amp system for the boat and not hearing it in a boaat when you are at the dealer. The acoustics must be different in boats than in showrooms as I'd believe the dealer would build the showroom to show-off the products he sells which may or may not be best in a boat.
I'm more interested in good clean sound and listen mostly to classic rock not the newer crap that's out (go ahead - flame away!).
rap=crap :D Yes, gear will sound different. Especially component speakers like the MB quart and JL Audio. They are off axis designed... BUT a distinct sound between brands will still be prevolent(sp).
As far as the subs are concerned. Many shops make custom boxes designed for max output from the driver and to show off their installer's work. You might find that an eager salesperson might hookup a box and sub to his own system and play it in the parking lot for you...
River Wild, The installer makes the shop. I've known Joel for years and he is one of the best. I look foward to seeing something great from here in the near future... Hopefully their new installer Brian (one of his cars is in our catalog, but still pissed me off once :rolleyes: ) will follow Joels example of workmanship...
Tony is cool. We do "help" each other out from time to time, and I always recommend his shop.
There is a hand full of shops in so cal that have installers who are of the same caliber, or better. About 6 of the shops have been mentioned on the boards...several times..
You'll find that installers apply to the revolving door theory. Most have worked everywhere more than once wink Riverbound knows what I mean. :rolleyes:
Wish Joel was still here.....
[ June 04, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

kphayes
06-04-2003, 05:40 PM
I just had two 12" Alumapro's installed on friday and it sounds incredible. They are being pushed by 1 JL 250 mono amp. The Alumapros are a little more expensive but they are built like a brick sh!t house.

Frosty_pop
06-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Ended up replacing mine with Power Acoustik 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 2400W Capacity 1-Ohm Subwoofer with Aluminum Rib Cone Insert. Sound great and should hold up. Think I found part of problem. My sub is exposed. Guess I should cover it when I'm towing on the freeway......

ROZ
06-05-2003, 12:20 AM
kphayes:
I just had two 12" Alumapro's installed on friday and it sounds incredible. They are being pushed by 1 JL 250 mono amp. The Alumapros are a little more expensive but they are built like a brick sh!t house. Love them JL amps!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/326DSC00853-med.JPG
I've been a little busy this week :cool:
[ June 05, 2003, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Essex502
06-05-2003, 07:40 AM
RIVER WILD:
THE BEST PLACE TO GO FOR ANY AUDIO / VIDEO FOR BOTH MARINE AND AUTO IS V.I.P IN CARLSBAD CA ASK FOR TONY HE IS THE OWNER TELL HIM SLIDE OUT SHELVES SENT YOU
THEY ARE ALSO HAVING THERE GRAND OPENING THIS SAT. A LOT OF THE HIGH END INDUSTRY PEOPLE WILL BE THERE :D Carlsbad is a tad far from Valencia. Plus the boat is stored at the house in Havasu! Anybody have a good recommendation for an installer in Havasu? (I know - probably another thread!)

mbrown2
06-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Car Toyz or Ron Custom Detail and Stereo...Have heard good things about Car Toyz, and have seem some sick setups come out of Ron's.

ROZ
06-05-2003, 08:01 AM
Essex502:
RIVER WILD:
THEY ARE ALSO HAVING THERE GRAND OPENING THIS SAT. A LOT OF THE HIGH END INDUSTRY PEOPLE WILL BE THERE :D Carlsbad is a tad far from Valencia. Plus the boat is stored at the house in Havasu! Anybody have a good recommendation for an installer in Havasu? (I know - probably another thread!) After speaking to the JL, Alpine, Eclipse, and Kenwood reps, I noticed the one common name they mentioned was Ruben at SoundBank. I'm sure the others are good as well. I just thought I'd pass the info along....

Essex502
06-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks ROZ and mbrown2! I need to do something soon as I have the stock setup from the manufacturer and believe me it isn't anything special.