PDA

View Full Version : D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon (BEWARE)

HBjet
06-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Well, I first want to say IÂ’m sorry itÂ’s come to this, but **** D&S Marine Interiors!
Last year (early April) I took my boat to D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon to have them do a complete new interior. It took 5 weeks (but the actual job took about 2-3 days) to finish and I had no problem with that. I picked the boat up on a Thursday and went to the river on Friday. Once I was at the river I was looking over my new interior because I was stoked on how nice it turned out, then I noticed it. The damn stripes where backwards in a few areas. The color pattern I picked out was Blue, Gray, and Charcoal, with the Blue being first. Well, one of the cocktail seats (passenger side) had the stripes backwards (Charcoal, Gray, Blue) and the stripes between both front seats where both also backwards, but it doesnÂ’t look that bad since they are both wrong. I called Sal who runs D&S in El Cajon about the error in the stripes and he said I could bring the boat back, but it will take another 5 weeks until it can be fixed because they where busy with boats from Ultra Custom Boats, or I can wait until the winter time. I told him IÂ’ll deal with it and give him a call in the winter.
So, I called Sal in January and told him IÂ’m bringing my seats back to him to be fixed. I dropped them off January 25th and they where suppose to be working that day, but they werenÂ’t. John West of Ultra happened to be next door and he took my seats for me and gave them to Sal on Monday. About 2 months later I was finally able to get a hold of Sal after leaving many messages on both the shop phone and his cell phone. We picked a date that I wanted to pick up the seats and I was to call a few days before. That date was April 19th and when I called a few days before, he said he wasnÂ’t finished with them. I was cool with that and we picked another date. May 10th. I called his cell phone a few days before and told him I was going to be there to pick up my seats. Saturday morning when I got into my truck to drive down there I checked my voice mail on my cell and it was Sal, telling me he wasnÂ’t able to finish them yet and he needed another week. I was pissed, but what was I going to do, go pickup my seats that are all apart and not completely fixed yet? So, I called him on May 16th to tell him I was going to get them and he said he still wasnÂ’t able to get them finished and they are a few guys short. I told him I was going to the river on Memorial and I needed my seats for that weekend. No, my boat wasnÂ’t running, but he didnÂ’t know that and I wanted my damn seats back. I was to pick them up Thursday night. I called and called. Once someone answered Thursday I asked for Sal. The person asked who was on the phone, I told them, and then they came back saying Sal wasnÂ’t there and that they donÂ’t speak English. I called 1 hour later, same shit. So I decided to call using another name, but no one answered anymore, and same for Friday, no one answered or called me back. I left messages on the shop machine and on SalÂ’s cell phone. No responses. So, I went to the river and when I got back, I got a hold of Sal on his cell and he was sorry that my seats werenÂ’t done. The reason he gave me was that the person who does the triple stitching has been out for a while and thatÂ’s why they werenÂ’t finished. I told him I was going to come down on June 7th and they better be done. He said no problem. I called and left messages on both machines telling him I was going to be there on the 7th.
Well, I drove down to D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon this last Saturday (the 7th) to pick up my seats. When I pulled up, no one was there. The gate was open a few feet, and it looked like someone lived there in a camping trailer. I walked in and entered the shop looking for my seats or something resembling them. I walked through every office and room and didnÂ’t see a thing. Then the guy who works there and I guess lives there walked up and I asked him if he knew anything, but he couldnÂ’t really speak any English. I called SalÂ’s cell phone and left him a message that I was there and I wanted my seats. I have yet to receive a call back from him. I walked back in the shop just looking around to see if I missed anything, and then I realized there was stuff up in the rafters over the offices. I then saw what looked like one of my seats. So I climbed a latter to get up there and sure enough there was one of my seats covered in saw dust. I looked around and found the other seat all the way in the corner also covered with dust and material scraps. They guy that worked there helped me get the seats down and then I cleaned them up to see not only where the seats still wrong and have never been ****in touched, but there was a few yellow glue stains on them now. I put the seats in the back of my truck and headed back home. burningm
So, if anyone is using D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon, make sure they get everything right before you leave because once you pay them, your ****ed if you need them to fix anything that they did wrong after the fact.
**** D&S MARINE INTERIORS & **** SAL.
HBjet

boatnam2
06-09-2003, 08:49 AM
man i know that feeling,you just want them to tell you the truth,and then deal with it but they lie and lie and lie.sorry to hear about ordeal hb.been there done that.

78Eliminator
06-09-2003, 08:51 AM
That's very unfortunate. You know, I was going to use them.

carreraelite
06-09-2003, 08:51 AM
I had a similar experience with Arizona Boat Tops here in Phoenix. It wasn't quite as bad as yours ,but none the less similar.

HOSS
06-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Cool. I don`t know him but I feel a little anxious. **** you Sal.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-09-2003, 08:54 AM
you Cali guys are too nice. We handle things alot different here in TEXAS....yee haw. A tire iron and a 12 pack of beer and Sal would have changed his tune all together. I damn sure wouldn't take em back in worse condition than they went in. Next time take some buds with you and when you find him take him on a snipe hunting trip deep in the woods. Ya'll do know about snipe hunting in Cali don't you. What a piece of chit. you obviously have a better temperment than I.
Omega

HOSS
06-09-2003, 08:57 AM
We snipe hunt here in Louisiana. But it don`t involve hurtin` knowone.

SCUBA STEVE
06-09-2003, 09:08 AM
thats sucks man. did you get anything in writting? Maybe you can get some of your $ back?
This might be a dumb question, but the shop was open with no one in it working? And a guy that lives in the parking lot? Sounds a little shaddy to me. Maybe you should have got some "free" materials for your troubles.

HavasuDreamin'
06-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Pretty shitty scenario. Be glad you got them back. It would have been worse to have to spend antoher $2K for a new interior vs. a few hundred to have someone else do them right.
Good Luck

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Hoss,
I would consider snipe hunting very dangerous in Louisiana. Lot of weird coon-asses out there.....gators too......I believe I might take the ass whoopin over snipe hunting in coon country.

Hermosa
06-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Hey, small world, we were just talking about D&S yesterday... One of the guys who works for me had the same problem, they were to put an entire new interior in his Carrera Viper. He delivered the old interior at their request back in January. He then made the appointment to bring the boat in on March 3rd for the fitting and installtion. They needed the boat for 3 days to complete everything. When he brought the boat to them in March, he noticed the interior he delivered to them months earlier was not even touched. Sal then told him they were to busy to work on the boat, all this after he made two trips from the LA area, and even after Sal had told him they were already working on the seats and they were "looking good". He ended up loading it all back in the boat and eventually worked a deal with Stratton Marine Interiors, but they have been slow also, but honest about the progress and when it will be ready. I can understand being busy and having to cut people off, but be honest with them, have a ****ing spine. Sal is a dirtbag, and most of his staff probably gets jumped by upset clients, so it's easier to say "aaa... no speak english"... Stay away from D&S.

H20 Party Starter
06-09-2003, 09:33 AM
HB.......**** it, pay the $25 to serve his punk ass with a notice to appear in small claims court.
I'm sure w/ the ammount interior costs these days it will be worth it for you to spend a few hours at the court house.
I bet even w/o anything in writing, you can take the seats in as evidence and get most of your money back. Get an estimate at another shop to see how much it would cost to fix, and the Judge should hook you up after he hears your story.
I used small claims to get $$$ out of a chick who hit my truck......again a "no speaka ingrish" problem...............It was really simple and very final. :)
Good luck bud

HOSS
06-09-2003, 09:50 AM
All together now,,,,"**** SAL"!

Windy
06-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Sal has been jerking HBjet around for months now.
F^ck SAL

hd&boatrider
06-09-2003, 10:00 AM
HBjet:
Well, I first want to say IÂ’m sorry itÂ’s come to this, but **** D&S Marine Interiors!
Last year (early April) I took my boat to D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon to have them do a complete new interior. It took 5 weeks (but the actual job took about 2-3 days) to finish and I had no problem with that. I picked the boat up on a Thursday and went to the river on Friday. Once I was at the river I was looking over my new interior because I was stoked on how nice it turned out, then I noticed it. The damn stripes where backwards in a few areas. The color pattern I picked out was Blue, Gray, and Charcoal, with the Blue being first. Well, one of the cocktail seats (passenger side) had the stripes backwards (Charcoal, Gray, Blue) and the stripes between both front seats where both also backwards, but it doesnÂ’t look that bad since they are both wrong. I called Sal who runs D&S in El Cajon about the error in the stripes and he said I could bring the boat back, but it will take another 5 weeks until it can be fixed because they where busy with boats from Ultra Custom Boats, or I can wait until the winter time. I told him IÂ’ll deal with it and give him a call in the winter.
So, I called Sal in January and told him IÂ’m bringing my seats back to him to be fixed. I dropped them off January 25th and they where suppose to be working that day, but they werenÂ’t. John West of Ultra happened to be next door and he took my seats for me and gave them to Sal on Monday. About 2 months later I was finally able to get a hold of Sal after leaving many messages on both the shop phone and his cell phone. We picked a date that I wanted to pick up the seats and I was to call a few days before. That date was April 19th and when I called a few days before, he said he wasnÂ’t finished with them. I was cool with that and we picked another date. May 10th. I called his cell phone a few days before and told him I was going to be there to pick up my seats. Saturday morning when I got into my truck to drive down there I checked my voice mail on my cell and it was Sal, telling me he wasnÂ’t able to finish them yet and he needed another week. I was pissed, but what was I going to do, go pickup my seats that are all apart and not completely fixed yet? So, I called him on May 16th to tell him I was going to get them and he said he still wasnÂ’t able to get them finished and they are a few guys short. I told him I was going to the river on Memorial and I needed my seats for that weekend. No, my boat wasnÂ’t running, but he didnÂ’t know that and I wanted my damn seats back. I was to pick them up Thursday night. I called and called. Once someone answered Thursday I asked for Sal. The person asked who was on the phone, I told them, and then they came back saying Sal wasnÂ’t there and that they donÂ’t speak English. I called 1 hour later, same shit. So I decided to call using another name, but no one answered anymore, and same for Friday, no one answered or called me back. I left messages on the shop machine and on SalÂ’s cell phone. No responses. So, I went to the river and when I got back, I got a hold of Sal on his cell and he was sorry that my seats werenÂ’t done. The reason he gave me was that the person who does the triple stitching has been out for a while and thatÂ’s why they werenÂ’t finished. I told him I was going to come down on June 7th and they better be done. He said no problem. I called and left messages on both machines telling him I was going to be there on the 7th.
Well, I drove down to D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon this last Saturday (the 7th) to pick up my seats. When I pulled up, no one was there. The gate was open a few feet, and it looked like someone lived there in a camping trailer. I walked in and entered the shop looking for my seats or something resembling them. I walked through every office and room and didnÂ’t see a thing. Then the guy who works there and I guess lives there walked up and I asked him if he knew anything, but he couldnÂ’t really speak any English. I called SalÂ’s cell phone and left him a message that I was there and I wanted my seats. I have yet to receive a call back from him. I walked back in the shop just looking around to see if I missed anything, and then I realized there was stuff up in the rafters over the offices. I then saw what looked like one of my seats. So I climbed a latter to get up there and sure enough there was one of my seats covered in saw dust. I looked around and found the other seat all the way in the corner also covered with dust and material scraps. They guy that worked there helped me get the seats down and then I cleaned them up to see not only where the seats still wrong and have never been ****in touched, but there was a few yellow glue stains on them now. I put the seats in the back of my truck and headed back home. burningm
So, if anyone is using D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon, make sure they get everything right before you leave because once you pay them, your ****ed if you need them to fix anything that they did wrong after the fact.
HBjet That is meessed up HBJ. I hope somehow it all works out for you. I would definitely use the courts to at least get it on record. I would also file a complaint with the BBB. The BBB is a customer of mine so if you want to I can give you a name and number of someone to call there to lodge the complaint. You DO NOT need to take this kind of shit from any business.

beached 1
06-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that HB. If you haven't found a place to fix them yet, try George and Vaughns in Redlands. Mitch is the best upholstery guy I know and he always has been on time for me. Never screwed anything up either.

riverrunner
06-09-2003, 10:11 AM
That really sucks. I wonder how many complete Ultras they got done in that time. Screw Sal and Ultra.

skeepwerkzaz
06-09-2003, 10:12 AM
La Migra!!!!!!
Put his ass out a bidness.

Essex502
06-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Maybe my memory is faulty but it seems as not too long ago Hot Boat Magazine "gushed" all over about how good D&S was. Is that true? Or is my memory faulty? Seems that a retraction might be in order - not likely!

novaguy
06-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Ah crap HBJET, why didn't you warn me about this asshole earlier. My interior is being done by them as we speak. I hope I don't have any problems like you had. As a matter of fact, after seeing how nice your interior turned out, I decided to use them. Take his ass to court and spread your experience about his shop to fellow boaters like you just did. I wish you the best of luck with getting your interior fixed and now I wish myself luck.
Rob

Fufu Queen
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Ok IÂ’m not sure what the hell happened to my first post but here I go again.
HB I feel your pain- as you know our story. You want me to get medieval on their asses????
I think some one deleted my post whatÂ’s up with that?????????????????????????????
[ June 09, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Fufu Queen ]

HavasuDreamin'
06-09-2003, 11:05 AM
novaguy:
My interior is being done by them as we speak. Rob Or is it? :rolleyes:
Companies that conduct themselves like this suck! I dealt with one when dropping my truck.

Fufu Queen
06-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Ok thatÂ’s some funny shit I posted on the other forum - man I think I just went a few shades blonder.

Phat_Kat
06-09-2003, 11:11 AM
HBjet:
Well, I first want to say I’m sorry it’s come to this, but **** D&S Marine Interiors!
Last year (early April) I took my boat to D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon to have them do a complete new interior. It took 5 weeks (but the actual job took about 2-3 days) to finish and I had no problem with that. I picked the boat up on a Thursday and went to the river on Friday. Once I was at the river I was looking over my new interior because I was stoked on how nice it turned out, then I noticed it. The damn stripes where backwards in a few areas. The color pattern I picked out was Blue, Gray, and Charcoal, with the Blue being first. Well, one of the cocktail seats (passenger side) had the stripes backwards (Charcoal, Gray, Blue) and the stripes between both front seats where both also backwards, but it doesn’t look that bad since they are both wrong. I called Sal who runs D&S in El Cajon about the error in the stripes and he said I could bring the boat back, but it will take another 5 weeks until it can be fixed because they where busy with boats from Ultra Custom Boats, or I can wait until the winter time. I told him I’ll deal with it and give him a call in the winter.
So, I called Sal in January and told him I’m bringing my seats back to him to be fixed. I dropped them off January 25th and they where suppose to be working that day, but they weren’t. John West of Ultra happened to be next door and he took my seats for me and gave them to Sal on Monday. About 2 months later I was finally able to get a hold of Sal after leaving many messages on both the shop phone and his cell phone. We picked a date that I wanted to pick up the seats and I was to call a few days before. That date was April 19th and when I called a few days before, he said he wasn’t finished with them. I was cool with that and we picked another date. May 10th. I called his cell phone a few days before and told him I was going to be there to pick up my seats. Saturday morning when I got into my truck to drive down there I checked my voice mail on my cell and it was Sal, telling me he wasn’t able to finish them yet and he needed another week. I was pissed, but what was I going to do, go pickup my seats that are all apart and not completely fixed yet? So, I called him on May 16th to tell him I was going to get them and he said he still wasn’t able to get them finished and they are a few guys short. I told him I was going to the river on Memorial and I needed my seats for that weekend. No, my boat wasn’t running, but he didn’t know that and I wanted my damn seats back. I was to pick them up Thursday night. I called and called. Once someone answered Thursday I asked for Sal. The person asked who was on the phone, I told them, and then they came back saying Sal wasn’t there and that they don’t speak English. I called 1 hour later, same shit. So I decided to call using another name, but no one answered anymore, and same for Friday, no one answered or called me back. I left messages on the shop machine and on Sal’s cell phone. No responses. So, I went to the river and when I got back, I got a hold of Sal on his cell and he was sorry that my seats weren’t done. The reason he gave me was that the person who does the triple stitching has been out for a while and that’s why they weren’t finished. I told him I was going to come down on June 7th and they better be done. He said no problem. I called and left messages on both machines telling him I was going to be there on the 7th.
Well, I drove down to D&S Marine Interiors in El Cajon this last Saturday (the 7th) to pick up my seats. When I pulled up, no one was there. The gate was open a few feet, and it looked like someone lived there in a camping trailer. I walked in and entered the shop looking for my seats or something resembling them. I walked through every office and room and didn’t see a thing. Then the guy who works there and I guess lives there walked up and I asked him if he knew anything, but he couldn’t really speak any English. I called Sal’s cell phone and left him a message that I was there and I wanted my seats. I have yet to receive a call back from him. I walked back in the shop just looking around to see if I missed anything, and then I realized there was stuff up in the rafters over the offices. I then saw what looked like one of my seats. So I climbed a latter to get up there and sure enough there was one of my seats covered in saw dust. I looked around and found the other seat all the way in the corner also covered with dust and material scraps. They guy that worked there helped me get the seats down and then I cleaned them up to see not only where the seats still wrong and have never been ****in touched, but there was a few yellow glue stains on them now. I put the seats in the back of my truck and headed back home. burningm
HBjet It's a fact of life, boat shops are crooks! It's very hard to find an honest shop so things like this should almost be expected, that may sound stupid but it's a fact. I met my girlfriend when I was working on her fathers boat because he heard that I was one of very few guys that would run through the boat and not rip you off. So sorry to say this HB but welcome the the "ripped off" club.

bigq
06-09-2003, 11:27 AM
third times a charm, eh?

bigq
06-09-2003, 11:28 AM
isn't there a D&S in corona, I think that is who did my last boat. Is the one down south owned by the same people?

Hustler
06-09-2003, 11:32 AM
bigq:
isn't there a D&S in corona, I think that is who did my last boat. Is the one down south owned by the same people? Yes they are owned by the same people

roln 20s
06-09-2003, 11:41 AM
That sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Here's a thought, I hear John West is a pretty cool guy and since he has a ton of pull with D&S, talk to him and have him take them down there with you. Since they do all of Ultra's interior, they may feel threatened and get them done. The thought of possibly losing the contract for all the interiors to Ultra boats could make any interior shop owner have a really bad day.
Good luck HB
Roln 20s
I also posted this in the other D&S thread!

HBjet
06-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Well, thanks everyone for the replies. Guess what? I got a phone call from Sal today. He wanted to apologise for the delay and explain himself. Apparently verses replacing a few sections of my interior, he had new coverings made for the seats all together. He said he's had 3 customers come to him because of me and he wants to make sure he takes care of me.
So, I'm going to be dropping off my seats at D&S Marine Interiors in Riverside and he is sending up the new coverings. They are going to fix my seats and have them done by the end of the week. I told him I need it done or I'm not bringing my boat back because I'm not going to miss river trips because of there delay. He assured me they will be fixed in time. We will see.
I never thought D&S did shitty work as in quality of there product, just the way they conduct business is what pisses me off.
HBjet

Fufu Queen
06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Looks as if a few words can make people ask how high to jump

unleashed
06-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Dude, after all of that you're taking it back. You are fricken crazy. I hope he refunds your money as well as does the work. Thats the least he could do for all the lies and headaches hes sent your way.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

Hermosa
06-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Power to the people brutha!

Kilrtoy
06-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Sounds like the seat company and the bike company I bought my bike from are related......Sorry to hear that randy, I'm having that same trouble.....

HBjet
06-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Well, when I take the seats back, I'm going to ask to see the new coverings. If they don't have them, then I'm not leaving them.
HBjet

Boozer
06-09-2003, 01:29 PM
HBjet:
Well, when I take the seats back, I'm going to ask to see the new coverings. If they don't have them, then I'm not leaving them.
HBjet Also make sure to have a .45 strapped to your side and some of the gang bangers from the river standing behind you. That will ensure it happens. Just to really make your point swing a baseball bat around and break a couple things in the place. Tell him if he calls the cops the gang bangers behind you will be back when least expects it to "clean the place up."

unleashed
06-09-2003, 01:31 PM
HB, I know you're going to take it back but If I were you I would not.
Take a moment to reread your story and tell me if you really think you should give this guy another chance???
I think its more principle than anything but thats my take on the situation.
Goodluck either way!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

Boozer
06-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Oh yeah...
I will be replacing the Bayliner over the Winter and hope to have a new boat built and ready by Spring of next year. Might keep the Bayliner just to go fishing in but I don't know yet.
Ultra Custom Boats was one of my primary choices but will be out of the running as long as they continue to do business with this Scum Bag Sal. I'll save my money and wait to see what Wes comes out with from Trident.

75_Elim
06-09-2003, 01:53 PM
HB, If he "F's" you again post his cell number, work number and his address so we can all have it at our desks to call him all frikin day!! That bastard will learn not to fu&k with a mans boat....
"Messing with my boat is like Messing with my emotions" WOOoooorm !!!

TheEduKATor
06-09-2003, 02:50 PM
HBJet D&S in Riverside did a nice job on the 26 Cat my brother and I purchased. They were honest, and are flexible about designs. Commander told my brother it would be a couple hundred dollars to incorporate a flame design in the interior, but my brother went down and talk to the guy at D&S and he did it for free. We've had the boat for just under a year and we just took the boat back in 2 months ago because we were unhappy with the ice chest underneath the back seat and how close water came to the speakers and lights, so D&S redid the entire ice chest and it's pretty sweat. They also relocated speakers in the panels, and cut out some more storage in the sponsons, all at no charge. They were the only ones who actually finished any work on our boat on time. It was at Commander for almost 5 weeks and they never touched it until my brother and I went to pick it up. So hopefully your experience with D&S in Riverside will be alot better than the one out here in San Diego.

jet496
06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Same thing happened to me. He kept promising things, couldn't get a hold of him, etc. I went down there looking for my seats, did the same as you, walked right in, located them & took them with me because I needed them on a trip. Some guy was in there sleeping & didn't speak english.
[ June 09, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: jet496 ]

77charger
06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
my buddy took his boat last year to d&s in el cajon(based on the job from hb jets interior)He was told about a week and a half took more like a month and hard to get a hold of the owner to check on progress.The interior came out really good and he was happy with it as well as the price but didnt like the business end of it.

Jrocket
06-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Dam Randy that definately blows...... frown
[ June 09, 2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Jrocket ]

Boozer
06-17-2003, 05:13 AM
So what's the word? Did you get taken care of or what?