PDA

View Full Version : All you pioneers or inventors...

dmontzsta
07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
If someone could make a set of headers that stay chrome, and dont blue or rust, they would be a rich man/woman. Man, after all these years I cannot believe there isnt something on the market to solve this problem.

jlnorthrup122
07-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Well I can arange a set of titainium headers for you they won't blue! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ pricey :D

Mandelon
07-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Youcan make them out of unobtainium. But its hard to get..... :rolleyes: :D

wsuwrhr
07-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Titanium or stainless baby, but then again as a custumer, you want to pay 200 or less right?
Brian

jus a baker
07-29-2003, 07:27 PM
how about ceramic coating? :confused:

Infomaniac
07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Mandelon:
Youcan make them out of unobtainium. But its hard to get..... :rolleyes: :D That would be impossible to get.
Difficultainium would be hard to get.

jlnorthrup122
07-29-2003, 07:33 PM
unobtainium. Now you have my interst! what is this unobtainium? :D
We could always boost the titainium turbins out of the local nuclear power plant! I talked with one of the engineers from the local nuke plant here. He was telling me they tried an aluminum turbine in each reactor first and one drop of water was all she wrote so they went to titainium. You know it suprises me that you don't really see titainium in the marine industry. Guess the stuff is just to costly. Titainium is roughly 1 ounce more per square inch that aluminum in weight and stronger than stainless steel! Thats some bad ass metal. The government likes to keep tabs on large orders though. :)
[ July 29, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

wsuwrhr
07-29-2003, 08:06 PM
jlnorthrup122:
unobtainium. Now you have my interst! what is this unobtainium? :D
We could always boost the titainium turbins out of the local nuclear power plant! I talked with one of the engineers from the local nuke plant here. He was telling me they tried an aluminum turbine in each reactor first and one drop of water was all she wrote so they went to titainium. You know it suprises me that you don't really see titainium in the marine industry. Guess the stuff is just to costly. Titainium is roughly 1 ounce more per square inch that aluminum in weight and stronger than stainless steel! Thats some bad ass metal. The government likes to keep tabs on large orders though. :) It seems attractive enough on weight and strength.
That is until you are the unlucky sole who gets to machine it. So much fun. It is not common in gereral manufacturing industry, so it isn't very easy to get, and it doesn't come in sizes like you buy for steel and aluminum.
Brian

dmontzsta
07-29-2003, 08:09 PM
What are the headers made out of?
I would be happy with them being alluminum. I am pretty sure my Nicson logs which are original are alluminum and they stayed nice and shiny until I took them off the boat a couple of days ago for the headers. Not a bit of bluing or rust on them.

wsuwrhr
07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Just to give you a rough idea on cost of material, I entertained the masochistic idea of making a set of billet titanium valvecovers. I thought it would be trick without the welded seams of fabricated covers. The material alone was 800.00 for one valve cover, I think it was 5"x5"x24".
Brian
[ July 29, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Ziggy
07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
sheesh, what ever happened to the good old can of silverchrome spray paint :D :D Cheap($1.99) and can be reapplied regularly, in fact it should be a weekly chore :D :rolleyes: :D

Moneypitt
07-29-2003, 08:35 PM
That paint stinks when it burns, er, ah, I mean someone told me it stinks when it burns.

burbanite
07-29-2003, 09:30 PM
jlnorthrup122:
Well I can arange a set of titainium headers for you they won't blue! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ pricey :D Yes they will...

locogringo
07-29-2003, 11:24 PM
there is a solution that people I know use to solve that problem on Harley pipes.
If interested PM me because I'm not in the business to Spam anything.
Daniel

burbanite
07-30-2003, 06:02 AM
Do people still do the old copper wire thing to stop blueing?

Dave C
07-30-2003, 07:40 AM
They do have a solution to the problem, Jacketed headers! Header pipe is inside the outside pipe which has the finish and water runs in between. (mine are stainless and very shiney) They don't blue.
Whats the catch you ask? $4,000 a pair. eek! But I think the IMCO's are alot less. However the stainless will live longer than I.

spectras only
07-30-2003, 07:45 AM
what loco ringo says, harley fixed that problem along with the jap motorcyle industry a long time ago wink .Double wall them.The problem lies with the wall thickness .If you don't mind the extra weight, make them out of 1/16 thickness material.My vintage bikes had very thin pipes and blued in just 500 miles.I've replaced them with aftermarket heavy walled ones .I got over ten K on my 58 matchless and there's hardly any discoloration what so ever :cool: . http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/pb180021jpg.1 this is what my 47 norton's pipe looked like just after 150 miles eek!
[ July 30, 2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

CaptStabin
07-30-2003, 07:56 AM
I have a coating that may help with this. Its a ceramic based product that goes on like water and soaks into the applied material. I'd be willing to supply for free to someone willing to test it.

91nordic29
07-30-2003, 10:01 AM
CaptStabin:
I have a coating that may help with this. Its a ceramic based product that goes on like water and soaks into the applied material. I'd be willing to supply for free to someone willing to test it. Dont do it!! DOnt do it!!

Dave C
07-30-2003, 10:04 AM
doesn't that stuff double as hand lotion? Free test all you have to do is pull on the dispenser?

CaptStabin
07-30-2003, 10:19 AM
91nordic29:
CaptStabin:
I have a coating that may help with this. Its a ceramic based product that goes on like water and soaks into the applied material. I'd be willing to supply for free to someone willing to test it. Dont do it!! DOnt do it!! You dont even know what it is. This is not a joke. But joke if you must. If someone is seriously interested though, this is for real.