PDA

View Full Version : NHRA this weekend...

Napanutt
08-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Anyone going to the drags at Sears Point(N.Cal) this weekend? If never been,they're AWESOME!Especially Friday night qualifying,when it gets dark and seeing flames shooting out of the exhaust of 6000hp engines,spine tingling (more like rattling)I'll be there,leaving work now,be there by 3.See ya!

Boozer
08-01-2003, 10:18 AM
If you are going and its your first time DONT FORGET THE EAR PLUGS.
The top fuel cars are the loudest thing you'll ever hear in your life. When they take off your intestines rattle. Also, if taking kids make sure not to sit to close to the christmas tree because you're eyes will burn, nose will run, and throat will even burn from the top fuel cars.

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 12:09 PM
You MUST take ear protection for any kids you take...And yes, the smell of nitro and burnt rubber will stay with you the rest of you life!!Racing is a life sentence, without the possibilty of parole!!!!!!!!!Be sure to go to the top end for a few of the runs, its a different world from the starting line. Enjoy....Moneypitt

Blown 472
08-01-2003, 12:12 PM
Boozer:
The top fuel cars are the loudest thing you'll ever hear in your life. When they take off your intestines rattle. Also, if taking kids make sure not to sit to close to the christmas tree because you're eyes will burn, nose will run, and throat will even burn from the top fuel cars. ANd this is bad how??

Boozer
08-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Blown 472:
Boozer:
The top fuel cars are the loudest thing you'll ever hear in your life. When they take off your intestines rattle. Also, if taking kids make sure not to sit to close to the christmas tree because you're eyes will burn, nose will run, and throat will even burn from the top fuel cars. ANd this is bad how?? I never said it is bad. Prolly just dont want yer kids cryin about their eyes and their nose and their throat. Personally I like to sit at the Christmas tree. I use to go out to Cali for the finals in Pomona every year and then winternationals every year. Sadly I haven't made it out for the races in 2 seasons. Prolly gonna go for the finals this year though.
John Force said it best "I love the smell of nitromethane in the morning."
At least I think that's what he said. It was something like that.

HOSS
08-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Oh and stick a pickle in your ass so you don`t make doo doo in your pants. Percussion ya know. eek!

Coach
08-01-2003, 08:38 PM
When is Force going to win some races this year???? I have had both of his daughter's in class. One is racing now and the other is going to get her racing license this summer. But at least it is Force's driver who is winning!
[ August 01, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Coach ]

Stab-n-Steer
08-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Napanutt:
Anyone going to the drags at Sears Point(N.Cal) this weekend? If never been,they're AWESOME!Especially Friday night qualifying,when it gets dark and seeing flames shooting out of the exhaust of 6000hp engines,spine tingling (more like rattling)I'll be there,leaving work now,be there by 3.See ya! Just got home from Sears Point. Didn't stay for the night rounds but the new track is hooked up. Larry Dixon put down a 4.50 at 322, both track records. Force broke the track FC MPH with a 316... I think some more records may fall this weekend.
S&S

Sandbar Junkies
08-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Went to about 3 or 4 races there very nice place and great place to watch a race. Those cars are amazing and they are great to watch. To make all that HP and find away to put it to the ground is a art. Dixon crew has a great handle on things, John got of to a slow start but has won the last two races so never count him out. Pro stock is a starting line dual, those cars are so equal most of the races are won on a holeshot.

Keith E. Sayre
08-01-2003, 09:57 PM
If you get to go, look for Les Figueroa at the
Figspeed trailer in the pits. He's a fellow hot boater from Havasu. He goes to all of the events
to race on a personal small scale that seems way
cool to me. The best part is, he gets paid to go!
He's the NHRA rep for companies such as World Products, Merlin, Holley, B & M, MSD, and several
other big hot rod engine parts companies. He's a
great guy to talk to and knows his stuff.
If you have technical questions, he knows all the
big guys at the races and their engine builders and can find out whatever you wish. He also has
a blown 540 in a 2001 Conquest that he needs to
sell to finance a new business. Nice boat with
only 30 hours!! And yes it runs!!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Napanutt
08-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Coach:
When is Force going to win some races this year???? I have had both of his daughter's in class. One is racing now and the other is going to get her racing license this summer. But at least it is Force's driver who is winning! That's right...you're from his home town...he had the fastest qualifying time tonight with a 4.184/316.9...he ran it against Del Worsham who had a 4.19/316.?...a very excellent run...have some really good pics,need to find cable for camera to post them...hopefully tomorrow...

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 10:10 PM
4.18--4.19?????TYPOS!!!!did you mean 4.81/4.91??

Napanutt
08-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Stab-n-Steer:
Napanutt:
Anyone going to the drags at Sears Point(N.Cal) this weekend? If never been,they're AWESOME!Especially Friday night qualifying,when it gets dark and seeing flames shooting out of the exhaust of 6000hp engines,spine tingling (more like rattling)I'll be there,leaving work now,be there by 3.See ya! Just got home from Sears Point. Didn't stay for the night rounds but the new track is hooked up. Larry Dixon put down a 4.50 at 322, both track records. Force broke the track FC MPH with a 316... I think some more records may fall this weekend.
S&S You must drive pretty fast...to be there at 7:30-8:00 and be posting by 10:00...yea though,the track was really hooking up,didn't see one smoke-out,the only short runs were mechanical...or driver error...

Napanutt
08-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Moneypitt:
4.18--4.19?????TYPOS!!!!did you mean 4.81/4.91?? Of course...they ain't getting that speed in our lifetime...

Napanutt
08-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Pics from Friday night...
Drag race pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/83965698pNGSZY)
To big file size for individual posting...

Craig
08-03-2003, 06:30 AM
Nice pic's, Kalitta is trying to slow down the Dixon train :D Doug snagged the #1 qualifying spot with a 4.53! How about scott Weis? Low buck guy gets into the top half of the field again!
Prostock, I wish that Ford boy could cut some good lights and go a few rounds wink In at #5, probably lose on a holeshot today, mark my words frown
[ August 03, 2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

playdeep
08-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Craig,
Why only 1 Ford in NHRA pro stock (Geofrion)?
In IHRA the 815 c.i. Mountain motor Ford pro stocks seem to dominate...
...Politics?

Craig
08-03-2003, 12:27 PM
There's been another, Robert Patrick, he just hasn't been running the last 5 or 6 races for some reason. There's no factory support for a Ford Pro Stocker, so it gets expensive. Glidden had the last Ford $$$ for a Pro Stock, and when that dried up, he bailed. There are so many good shops out there that can build a competitive Chevy, relitively speaking, so it's more cost effective. Mopar got back in the sponsorship and we have some now that always qualify and go some rounds. While John Force is certainly a crowd favorite, I'd rather see Ford put their money on a Ford! The motor is at least something like they made once and you can buy the block and heads from Ford! Ain't seen many KB or TFX hemis down at the local Chevy dealership lately. Just one guys opinion though wink
[ August 03, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]

Craig
08-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Well, I stand corrected, Scott won the first round, but had the slowest winning time of the opening round. Outta there 2nd round. Oh well, at least he won a round :)

08-04-2003, 12:09 AM
R. Patrick runs on his own money and a limited amount at that. Last I heard it was about 300K/annually, maybe more now to adjust for inflation. He only has enought money to run a limited number of national events and they need to be close to home to cut travel expense. The Hurley Blakeney team has the horsepower to make the top half of the field, quite an acomplishment considering how fast they got their engine program together and competitive. Now all they need to do is sort out their chassis, develop the consistincy and team work. As young as the team is they have come far in a short amount of time. It'd be interesting to see how far they could go with factory money.

boatnam2
08-04-2003, 01:10 AM
i see bob glidden is back in the nhra working on one of the pro stocks with grumpy jenkins.

Craig
08-04-2003, 05:45 AM
I saw that Glidden was helping out his bud Larry Morgan the last two races. At the Phoenix race he and da' Grump were halping Mark Pawuk.

Moneypitt
08-04-2003, 08:55 AM
You've got to be kidding!!!!trick photography? Have you seen the K&N filters funnycar EXPLOSION? Actually that doesn't even come close to describing what happened to Frank Pedregon, AND he kept it on the wheels!(AND HE'S ALRIGHT, except for slight burns) It reminds me of the Eddie Hill explosions of a couple of years ago,(before the nitro limit). NHRA will be replayed today, 1-4pm PDT, I only saw the F/C explosion on a highlight sight bite, and look forward to seeing the finals replayed as I missed it yesterday. (I actually got out to the lake again). Check it out!!!...Moneypitt

Moneypitt
08-04-2003, 11:40 AM
I screwed up!!!It's on 1-4 EASTERN time, like right now!!!!!!Turn it up..sorry for the error, Moneypitt