PDA

View Full Version : Depth guage transducer?

kevnmcd
07-28-2003, 08:01 PM
I had my depth guage transducer (transom mounted kind) break off for the second time. Has anyone converted to the in-hull transducer? How hard is it? Anything special I should look out for? Thanks for the info.

Havasu Hangin'
07-28-2003, 08:08 PM
I mounted mine in the bilge. Pretty easy with the engine out.
The key is to mount it as far back as possible, near the centerline, away from any strakes. I used Sea Goin' Poxy Putty- make sure there are no bubbles in the bed of putty...press firmly, then put something heavy on it for 24 hours or so. The wires should be soldered and shrink-wrapped.
Probabaly a couple hour job.
Those transom mounts aren't made for your 100MPH passes, big guy...

Quality Time
07-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Keep in mind, if you have a cored hull, you can't use a transducer that shoots through (in-hull)type. frown

oldphart
07-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Ive had a transducer glassed to the bottom of my floor for 5 years now with no problems. given the lake & river fluctuations I use hell out of it. The alarm is set for 3 ft and its kinda scary to hear it go off at 50 mph or so

HOSS
07-29-2003, 05:47 AM
I highly don`t recommend it with a core hull as well. Solid hull is best. I fyou are still going to do it with a core hull then you should use the puddy provided AND 5200. The wires are made into the transducer. They come with like 80` of wire. Should be mounted to the rear and away from ANYTHING that will cause the watey to airate. This is why smaller vessels benifit from the transom mount.

kevnmcd
07-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Thanks, guys. :)