PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor paint/epoxy...

burbanite
07-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Anybody had any luck with a particular product and/or procedure?
There are many different ways to do it, I'm hoping to find out what does and doesn't work without the trial and error.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-24-2003, 09:21 AM
I haven't seen ant paint that really sticks to the floor But I heard in door out door carpet works pretty good. All you have to do is vacume. Just mt 2 cents ( my dad has the carpet and he's a mechanic he likes it cause he doesn't have to put anything down on the ground while he's working) just a suggestion! wink

Boozer
07-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Why not tile it?

PussyPusher
07-24-2003, 09:26 AM
They sell Epoxy paint at Home Depot that works well. I am going to get some as soon as I finish moving in to the new house!

burbanite
07-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks MRS FLYIN VEE,
I'm probably too messy for that. :D We had carpet in our old shop, it had its advantages and disadvantages.
Boozer,
our new shop is tiled with Motormat (same as Kiwi Tile), it's ok but fluids get underneath and they stain easily.
I did consider some type of ceramic tile but don't know how that would work out. Another factor to consider is how slippery a surface becomes when wet.

Jbb
07-24-2003, 09:35 AM
You must wait about 6 months with new concrete ,or so I was told for it to cure fully.
I have had several friends use the epoxys after etching their floors with acid ...All of them worked ok to a point but eventually the point where a cars hot tire rests would weaken and pull up.
Where I work had it done professionally a few years ago in the stockroom, and I watched them do it. They actually ground grooves in the floor, like a concrete freeway has, and mixed up a spray in a heated machine ...they sprayed this hot mix and it looks like trunk splatter paint in older cars ...It has not come up anywhere yet and forklifts drive on them 24 hrs a day ....I am sure this process can be costly ...but it does work!

Waist Deep
07-24-2003, 09:48 AM
We do epoxy floors that last anywhere. Email me if interested at bud.racing@verizon.net

dorC
07-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Prep is the most critical element to a epoxy floor. Usually the floor is preped by sandblasting the surface. It's critical to open up the concrete for the epoxy to bite and to absolutly remove all oil and contaminates. If you do not prep correctly, the epoxy will peel off in giant flakes leaving a surface that looks like a ulcer. Not pretty. Also be sure to broadcast some sand onto the finish. The is stuff get really slippery when it's wet. You can also get different grades of epoxy flooring. Anything from a real thin coat that is easily damaged to a 1/4" thick multilayered system that "you can drop an engine block on without damage". The systems that I'm familiar with are by Tenemic and Performance Polymers.
[ July 24, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: dorC ]

NastyOne
07-24-2003, 12:06 PM
The best place to get epoxy coatings is from Carboline. They just came out with all kinds of new epoxy flooring systems. My company does epxoy floors all the time, so I would know where to get the best shit. PM if you want, and I will answer all your questions.
N1

NastyOne
07-24-2003, 12:08 PM
dorC:
Prep is the most critical element to a epoxy floor. Usually the floor is preped by sandblasting the surface. It's critical to open up the concrete for the epoxy to bite and to absolutly remove all oil and contaminates. If you do not prep correctly, the epoxy will peel off in giant flakes leaving a surface that looks like a ulcer. Not pretty. Also be sure to broadcast some sand onto the finish. The is stuff get really slippery when it's wet. You can also get different grades of epoxy flooring. Anything from a real thin coat that is easily damaged to a 1/4" thick multilayered system that "you can drop an engine block on without damage". The systems that I'm familiar with are by Tenemic and Performance Polymers. Oh yeah, forgot to say dorC is right on the money with his answer.

PussyPusher
07-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Why not just have the entire floor Line-X'd?!?

25 Eagle
07-24-2003, 12:26 PM
I used PPG 2 part epoxy and it has held up for three years now. The floor is faux by putting the second color on with a sea sponge. Stay away from the Home Depot stuff, never heard any good reports from people who have used it.

oneultrarat
07-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Everyone is right about the prep work on floors.
Shotblasting or sandblasting is the best way.
I have been doing this type of work for twelve years and it doesn't matter how good the material is, if the concrete is not prepped properly it will fail!
PM me if you have any questions.

oneultrarat
07-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Everyone is right about the prep work on floors.
Shotblasting or sandblasting is the best way.
I have been doing this type of work for twelve years and it doesn't matter how good the material is, if the concrete is not prepped properly it will fail!
PM me if you have any questions.

jlnorthrup122
07-24-2003, 01:50 PM
well as for the epoxy floor covering shit you will need a pair of cleats to apply it so you can walk on it wile it is still wet. and if you ever plan on doing any welding or grinding ect over an epoxy floor forget about it! But the after product sets up it looks great. nice and shiney (bling bling) and smooth as hell! It is a cool floor covering and also very permanent! :cool:
Good luck

Stupid Fast
07-24-2003, 01:53 PM
I have used Pool epoxy paint with good results. I have even mixed in a little play sand for traction. Epoxy floors are slick as hell when wet or have oil on them. Like every one said prep is most important. The rougher the better.

mickeyfinn
07-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Tnemec makes a top quality epoxy floor system and we have been using a product from stone hard in our shop for years. These are both non-slip and seamless. Not a product to be self applied unless you don't mind Fing up and having it look like crap. Even if you screw it up it will perform. The best way I have found to deal with the floors is to have a lot of color additive added to the concrete and have the color built in. Works great but fades slightly over time.

burbanite
07-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Great information from everyone, thanks!
I too have seen disastrous results from poor execution and have also been wary of the "home improvement" products, it has been a couple of years since I looked at this last and felt sure there were more options now.
Another fine example of the fact that you don't have to know everything, you just have to know someone who does.... :)

Mandelon
07-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Don't get it at your local home center...have it done professionally or buy their products at a contractor's supply store.
Add some grit for grip....but too much will make it hard to clean. How about some nice shiny diamondplate on the whole thing?? Actually there are some rubber/vinyl floors that are available with a diamond plate pattern.

woodster
07-24-2003, 06:13 PM
I do epoxy coatings for a living also. Like everyone said, PREP is the key. We shotblast the garage, Use a bond coat,then the epoxy with paint chips,and clear coat. Looks like granite when its done. If i were you, I would suggest avoiding home Depot stuff and hire some one to do it right the first time. Ive gone to alot of jobs that ive had to "clean up" because the homeowner did it themselves and the stuff peeled up 6 months later. Makes a huge mess. The stuff we use generally runs about 4 bucks a foot installed just to give you an idea. I can post some pics of my garage if u want..

Daytona19
07-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Im not sure about the paint thing, I did much research not long ago and no one could really give a recommendation on how long it would stick or last. You cant drag anything across it or it will scratch and it can be slippery. I did a floor called "race deck" and it is basically tiles which go over your existing floor. If you have crackes they are covered and it is not slippery and it wont life or peal plus if you move you can take it with you.The guys were great to work with from race deck and I bought seconds and saved a little cash. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg

woodster
07-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Daytona19:
Im not sure about the paint thing, I did much research not long ago and no one could really give a recommendation on how long it would stick or last. You cant drag anything across it or it will scratch and it can be slippery. I did a floor called "race deck" and it is basically tiles which go over your existing floor. If you have crackes they are covered and it is not slippery and it wont life or peal plus if you move you can take it with you.The guys were great to work with from race deck and I bought seconds and saved a little cash. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg The stuff we use dosent scratch..Plus if u spill oil or gas on it it wipes right up. I moved into my house 3 yrs ago and installed it right away and it still looks brandnew.With the paint chips in the floor it acts like a nonskid. So when its wet u dont slip.. Ill get some pics and post one

Jrocket
07-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Daytona19:
Im not sure about the paint thing, I did much research not long ago and no one could really give a recommendation on how long it would stick or last. You cant drag anything across it or it will scratch and it can be slippery. I did a floor called "race deck" and it is basically tiles which go over your existing floor. If you have crackes they are covered and it is not slippery and it wont life or peal plus if you move you can take it with you.The guys were great to work with from race deck and I bought seconds and saved a little cash. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/262garagefloor1-med.jpg I like it.How do I get a hold of them?

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Harvick:
We do epoxy floors that last anywhere. Email me if interested at bud.racing@verizon.net Do you go to Havasu? We would really like to do our garage floor there. If so please email me at mrsflyinvee@aol.com or respond here if you don't mind.Thank you in advance.

Starloans
07-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Damn Daytona!
Your wife must take care of the garage. I've never seen a garage that slick before. Oh yeah the floor is nice too. :D
Shit, my garage looks lika a bomb hit it. But I don't have to worry about the floor. I can't see it! cry

woodster
07-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Heres a couple of pics
up close
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/889DSC00347-med.JPG
next to the car
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/889DSC00348-med.JPG

mtndewdrops
07-24-2003, 08:30 PM
woodster:
next to the car
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/889DSC00348-med.JPG Woodster how much does that floor cost on a regular sized 3 car garage? I have Indoor/Outdoor carpeting on my 3rd bay for exercise equipment. That floor sure looks nicer.

TRG
07-24-2003, 08:34 PM
believe it or not,...ive actualy helped a friend out in doing his floors in gelcoat, sounds kinda hokie but he says it stands up to everything.
its been a while but i went back for a party about a year after we coated the floor seemed to be holding up fine!
by the way,...was'nt my idea!!!!! just so we dont get confused!!! Todd

woodster
07-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Its about 4 bucks a foot installed.. I have a 3 car garage thats about 600 SQF..2400 bucks eek! But its really trick stuff . Theres other colors to chose from also

tahitijet
07-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Is there someone on the boards here in the Fresno area that does this? I need mine done also but I need one that will stand up to constant welding and grinding. I was looking at the u-coat they advertise in hot rod but would rather have it done profesionally.
thanks

HOOTER SLED-
07-25-2003, 07:14 AM
burbanite:
Anybody had any luck with a particular product and/or procedure?
There are many different ways to do it, I'm hoping to find out what does and doesn't work without the trial and error. Contrary to what some of these peeps are saying, not ALL of the products at Home Depot are bad. Behr has an epoxy based product specifically for this application. Like some of the other guys have said, PREP is KEY. Follow the right steps. Absolutely clean well using some kind of degreaser(power washer helps). YOU MUST etch the surface using an etcher (you can use muriatic acid too, it's inexpensive, get it at Home Depot or any place with pool supplies). Etching will open up the pores of the concrete and allow for better adhesion. PRIMER (unless you are using a clear instead of a color), then paint. Make sure to follow alotted time frames in between coats of primer, paint etc. Most of the people that say some of these products don't work is because they probably didn't take their time and prep properly. Don't get me wrong, some products ARE better than others, as with anything else. Just take your time and do it right. Cutting corners just makes you have to spend more time in the long run to fix the F-ups. Hope this helps. Good luck.
HOOTER

Daytona19
07-25-2003, 09:02 AM
To do this floor which was a little over 500 sq ft it was 1000.00 and about five hours of my time. The web site is http://www.racedeck.com/ and again it does cost a little more than that usually but I did ask about seconds and they did have some but in no way could you tell them from any others. I did have a more limited color choice but I thought this combo looked very nice anyways. All I needed to install was a circular saw or table or radial arm say and my time, no clean up no mess to deal with and it didnt take a whole weekend to do. I am sure the paint thing can work and the pics above look very nice but this was easy , effective and with the cracks I had they are gone with out any major work there either. Check out the site, VERY nice stuff and great service.