PDA

View Full Version : California does it again

Seadog
04-18-2003, 07:52 AM
I was just reading where the CEPA secretary decides to throw out research done by five scientist on determining the risk of Chromium 6, because the lawyers trying to squeeze money out PG&E did not like the results. This either means that the most liberal scientists in the nation are so easily bought that companies can afford five of them or that the government is so corrupt that the lawyers own CEPA.

Danhercules
04-18-2003, 08:02 AM
I thought you were gonna talk about the new sound laws that CA is trying to pass. There was artical in Hot Boat this month. Souns like anyone with headers will be out of luck. cry I so have a queston, do CA noise laws apply on the Colorado river and lakes?

THOR
04-18-2003, 08:28 AM
I am a scientist, but wont be bought.

rrrr
04-18-2003, 08:35 AM
THOR:
I am a scientist, but wont be bought. Doing a study on breast size isn't science. We know what you're up to!! :D :D :D

bigq
04-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Danhercules:
I thought you were gonna talk about the new sound laws that CA is trying to pass. There was artical in Hot Boat this month. Souns like anyone with headers will be out of luck. cry I so have a queston, do CA noise laws apply on the Colorado river and lakes? Only half. :D

eliminatedsprinter
04-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Most scientists are not that easy to buy, but some of them are and they only need a few. Ca is run by Lawyers and Left wing busy bodies.
The proposed noise restrictions might take out more than just headers. One of the proposals would take out just about all through hull exhausts. In addition, last I heard, the Ca air resource board is demanding that builders of new boats start installing crapalytic converters in new boats that use automotive type motors in the not to distant future. The whole country should get involved in fighting this monumental stupidity because this is just the type of thing that could spread or go federal the next time the dems get control of the Congress or White House.
P.S. Most of the time "scientists" are used by the left for this type of crap you will likly find that they don't have real credentials in the fields that are involved. Many of them are "Social Scientists" or have labels with fuzzy definitions ie, "Nutritionists" or "Environmentalists".

Boatcop
04-18-2003, 11:36 AM
do CA noise laws apply on the Colorado river and lakes?
Yes they do. On the entire river. California enforces their laws, and we enforce ours.
There has always been a noise law in the State of California. Everyone is bitching about the "new" noise law. All it is, is a refinement of the measuring method, which is much more accurate than the previous one, with standards set by the Association of Sound Engineers.
The levels actually are actually changing in favor of the boater. Some boats tested and passed under the new method, fail using the existing one.
You know when your boat is too loud. Many people modify the exhaust simply to make more noise, making negligible increases in HP (>5), but THINK it sounds cool.
Let me tell you. IT DOESN'T!

eliminatedsprinter
04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Boatcop
Thanks for the clarification. I read about 2 different legislative proposals re noise levals. One was somewhat reasonable and basically as what you just discribed. The other, however, set a max level of only 75 decibels. This one bothers me, because I have done hearing tests using highly accurate testing devices and I know of bone stock jetboats with through hull exhausts that make more noise than that when under throttle.
It is CARB's crapylytic converter requirement that bothers me the most. A 1500 degree power robbing, gas wasting device has no business in the engine well of a powerboat. It has absolutly zero chance of any positive environmental effect and it will increase the danger and cost of boating for those who have to buy boats that are so equipped.
[ April 18, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]