PDA

View Full Version : Amount of upholstery fabric

spectratoad
02-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Due to the vast wealth of knowledge here I thought this would be the place to go.
I am getting ready to do the interior of my Spectra 20 and am basically going to have two buckets, a jumpseat behind the passenger seat and a bench going across the back, engine cover and the side covers where the fuel tanks are. I have been looking at pics for awhile and I like the set-up the FroggyStyle has http://www.***boat.net/classifieds/ads/images/226_3.jpg I am sure mine won't be as immaculate but I need to update what I have.
How much material should I expect to order or should I just leave that to the upholsterer? Any good recomendations for material or a good place to take the wood to be covered?
Thanks guys and girls :D

twistedpair
02-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Build the framing out of marine grade plywood and glass it. Then let a reputable upholstery shop handle the rest. You probably want to pick your shop before you build, they might have some tips for you, and that way your both on the same page.

spectratoad
02-28-2003, 08:56 AM
That was my plan with the wood. My brother built his and it turned out nice. thanks for the info. You are right about the shop having advice on the build. Thanks Twisted.

69 Elim
02-28-2003, 10:51 AM
spectratoad - I have a spectra 20 also, and when hearing about your ideas, gots me thinking. the newer boats (like Froggys) have more interior room than our old spectras. the dash is further forward and the gunwalls are on the outside of the boat as opposed to ours which are located in a bit. I have 2 buckets and a bench seat with full motor cover. I couldn't try to imagine a jump seat behind the front passenger bucket, just not enough room.

spectratoad
02-28-2003, 04:02 PM
69 Elim, I am looking at that. I am sure I will cut alot of wood before I like what I get. Right now though it has the back to back seats so I figure the one jumpseat would be about that same size. I am only doing one on the passenger side. I am going to put the cooler in the bench seat so that won't be in the way.
[ February 28, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

Ms. Spectratoad
02-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Why don't you ask our sewing/engineer wife. She may be able to assist you. idea

spectratoad
03-01-2003, 02:59 PM
I never thought of that. Must be a guy thing. Who allowed you on the boards. Hey ***boat, we need to block a out of control poster here! :D

Mandelon
03-01-2003, 03:06 PM
If you plan on experimenting, You might want to practice on some cheap plywood. The marine stuff is expensive. You'll be pissed if you waste a bunch of that stuff. :)

spectratoad
03-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Fot ya there Mandelon, I have a bunch of scrap stacked in back that I need to get rid of anyway.

spectratoad
03-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Got ya there Mandelon, I have a bunch of scrap stacked in back that I need to get rid of anyway.