PDA

View Full Version : The Havasu Boaters Train to Las Vegas

Trailer Park Casanova
09-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Amtrac tells me from month to month, train service from So Cal to Las Vegas will resume next month.
They've been telling me this for 3+ years now.
I used to hang out and boat with a group that had summer mobil Homes at Winsor Beach in Havasu.
They lived all over So Cal, but we'd all congrate at Winsor Beach and became good friends.
Sometime back, I organized a train trip to 'Vegas for all of us. It was so much fun, it became a twice a year event for years. $51 roundtrip, and a low rate on a NICE room downtown.
We called it the Sandbar Steel Wheels to 'Vegas run.
It was cool. The train stopped in different towns in route to 'Vegas, and at each stop we pick up another set of friends from the Havasu group.
Cardgames, the bar, the restaurant, hang out or gaze out the window, it was a fun trip. Amtrac employees can be like dealing with the DMV, but we always had good experiences with them.
I started drinking Michelob on one trip, and it qued everyone else to want to drink Mick too. Then other passengers took the que and the girl bartender soon ran out.
No problem, she called the Budwiser distributor, and the Bud delivery guy was on the train platform in Barstow when we pulled in with a cart full of cold Michelob.
The trains passengers went berserk,,, the Bud delivery guy was a hero. An embarassed hero standing there in his gas station shirt and a dolly stacked with beer. I think we kinda over did it. Ah hell, we'd do it again.
The train averaged about 60 mph and it made its way through the back country of the Mojave desert on to 'Vegas. Simple, conveinent pick up, no airport hassles, no driving, excellent & cozy during the winter through snow covered back country or rotten weather. The train dropped us off right at our hotel. No cabs or shuttles or rent a cars.
Huge comforable seats, very quiet, and the engineer would sometimes come on softly on the PA and describe some interesting sights in the desert. Stuff you've driven by, looked way out and saw, but had no clue what it was or why it was there.
One sight was a cross on mountainside that was, according to the engineer mind ya, paid for by Clark Gable because his then wife Carole Lombards plane had crashed very close by. Trival info like this.
Nothing smells better than meals cooked on the train. It was the steak and Michelob (late) lunch that I had that triggered everyone to switch from Coors Lite on the train.
On the return trips,, french toast and Mimosas.
Something about train cooked french toast.
I miss these trips. Most the Windsor beach group has vanished through divorce, or moved on to other interests and we've moved on to Parker.
My brother being a cop on downtown LA, phoned me and told me to make it out to Union Station. Amtrac was giving short mileage demo rides on a new train they purchased for when they resume their 'LA to "Vegas service.
I jumped on the train, and they gave a demo ride to Fullerton then back to Union station.
The train was built in Europe, had several restaurants and bars, plus all kinds of lounges and other entertainment. It had special suspension that ironed out most bumps,, and it tilted to almost level in the turns.. Nice.
The same environmental group that has closed offroading areas like most of Pismo and Glamis has fought Amtrack to halt the 'Vegas run.
Amtrac has even laid miles of dedicated track exclusively for the 'Vegas run.
This battle has gone on for years, and I think it'll keep on because their's money in court battles of this sort for both sides.
Well, if it the 'Vegas run starts again, you'll read about it here,, and I'll organize a cheap trip and invite ***boat Forum readers.
You'll love it.
[ September 14, 2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Skaterfast
09-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Nice story TPC.You didn't mention the time it takes from LA to Vegas on that train.Also do you have any info on the new trains eta from LA to Vegas?Sounds good the wife and I are in.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Amtrac promises 4 and a half hours from Union Station to the Plaza Hotel in 'Vegas.
The girls in the group always love the Horseshoe or Las Vegas club to stay at. Both just a minutes walk away from where the train lets you off.
The Las Vegas Club the most favorite because of the Baseball motiff. The employees wear baseball uniforms, are very friendly, nice rooms, clean place, nice atmosphere, good food, easy free premimum call drinks and old Vegas Blackjack rules:
Split and resplit all ya want, whenever ya want, surrender rule in effect, double down on any hand, any six card hand is automatic blackjack, a dozen more rules to the players advantage + $3 single deck more common than most places.
The new route will follow the 210, then the 15 through the pass where it'll connect to the old route with new dedicated track to dodge the freight trains.
Group rates on the fare and rooms will be available. No prices set yet,, or when service starts. Booze and food was cheap on the train.
[ September 14, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

OutCole'd
09-14-2003, 12:46 PM
TPC, Your stories are always great reading.
Thanks. :D :D

little rowe boat
09-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Sounds like fun.A bunch of the guys I work with charter a bus once a year and do the same thing.