PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Flying Boats

Trailer Park Casanova
07-20-2003, 11:46 AM
All us kids ever knew about my dads WW2 war experiences were a few things my mom knew. Other than that, we, my mom included, didn't really know much.
My dad was a bomber pilot even before the war began. Career Army. Early on, he found himself in England, with his bomber group pounding the Germans. Later on, flying out of Italy hitting the Romanian oilfields, then back to Britain where he got involved with, but did not pilot, Catalina Flying Boats as a Army Liason officer to the Navy.
We knew he got shot down three times,, but the last shoot down was the mysterious one,, that even mom, who dad had met and married in England, knew very little about.
If I ever brought up the war to my dad, the conversation went no place. Other than that,, the only other miltary experiences I had with my dad was he got sore when I joined the Marines, and we occasionally see his old friend Paul Tibbits, who piloted the Enola Gay over Hiroshima, who dads still friends with today.
The old guy is still alive and has a nice little place near the American River in Cool, Calif., and spends his days fishing/reloading and shooting.
I was up visiting him recently, got up early in the morning and was reading the paper. A little artical mentioned that several WW2 aircraft will be on public display that day at the Alameda Air station. Rides in some of them for a hundred bucks.
Dad got up,, and over fried egg sandwiches, I brought up the aircraft display and asked if he'd like to go.
I was expecting silence, perhaps him moving on to something else to talk about,, but he just answered; "sure, lets go".
The ol buzzard knew everything about everything about the bombers and several other aircraft at the show. The crews were glad to see him, and gleen info from him.
The Catalina Flying boats caught my attention, and dad explained what remarkable aircraft they were.
So facinating were (are) these metal , cloth and wood Flying Boats, I coughed up the $200 bucks for us to take a ride.
That night, we returned to Cool, and were barbequeing on his upstairs patio. After a few glasses of Barbera Wine, he blindsided me with a few war stories. He opened up with the very dark story of his last shoot down.
His group was flying to the German occupied oilfields of Romania to throw a few spitballs at them.
The Germans were clever, they built several fake oilfields to confuse the Americans.
As they were on final approach to drop their wad, the Germans sent up exploding rounds at several altitudes that were merely smoke. As the bombers would break through, the observers on the ground could make their altitude, speed, & direction. It was a very accurate way of early warning.
Dad said in a few minutes all hell broke loose, and they took several rounds through the engines and tail section,, killing the gunner.
That was it,, they bailed out.
They were picked up by some illiterat Russian conscrips that didn't know an American from a German.
They were held as prisoners, and forced to work for the Russians.
The Russians were invadeing Romainia, and were slaughtering everyone in their pathway. They went for the churches first because thats where most townspeople took refuge. Babies, old women, teenagers, everyone was slaughtered.
I'll spare you the details , but the treatment of Civilians was horrific and my dads crew was forced along and witnessed some pretty bad stuff.
Finally, a comissar got wind of my dads crew, and was able to get them back to the US.
The Army didn't send him back into Bombers,, he was able to get into a Catalina Flying Boat unit as an Army liason officer to the US and British Navies, and rejoin my mom in England.
The next morning, I got up and dad was down in his basement reloading. I went down and all over the walls, he had hung pictures of his various WWII aircraft & crews.
These pics have been packed away for a half century. We never knew they existed.
If you ever get a chance to fly in, or visit a display that features these remarkable aircraft,, I suggest you don't let it pass you by. Especially my favorite, the Catalina Flying Boats.
[ July 20, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

jlnorthrup122
07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
yeah they don't make them like they used to! thats for sure! You should check out some of the boats from ww2 some real invations in all fields of technolagy came from that war that we still use today. WW 2 was like a technolagy rat race between sides!! (not just talking about the atomic bomb either) :cool:

jlnorthrup122
07-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Here's some pics of the cat!
http://www.beehivehockey.com/images/history_images/20catalina.jpg
http://au.geocities.com/thefortysecondinww2/images/planes/catalina.jpg
[ July 20, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

jlnorthrup122
07-20-2003, 12:34 PM
I always wanted to get my hands on one of those birds and convert it into a flying RV so to speak and hit the equator!

old rigger
07-20-2003, 01:27 PM
trailer park,
Fantastic story. Thanks for posting it.
My grandpa was the same way about his war time service. I learned more about him after he died than when he was alive.
He hated school, quit and joined the navy in '27 at 15 yars old. Soon figured out that if he was going to make anything of a career in there, he'd have to hit the books. Retired in '57 a Commander at 45 yrs of age. A Pearl Harbor survivor too.
He's the reason we started going to the river. He moved to Bullhead Az. in 60 or 61, and my folks got a little trailer on the river after seeing his house in Holiday Shores. They built the first house there. He only went in the water once in the 20 years he lived there. He still hated being in the water after having the ship he was on sunk during the war (twice). Never got over the sights and sounds of the shark attacks while they were waiting to be rescued. Yeah I know, there's no sharks in Arizona, but he hated being in the water just the same.
He was a tough ol' bastard.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-20-2003, 01:38 PM
old rigger:
My grandpa was the same way about his war time service. I learned more about him after he died than when he was alive.
He was a tough ol' bastard. You can say that again,,,
Interesting story, thanks for posting it.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-20-2003, 01:55 PM
jlnorthrup122:
I always wanted to get my hands on one of those birds and convert it into a flying RV so to speak and hit the equator! I understand you could fly there on just one tankfull.
Nice Pic.

Jungle Boy
07-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Great story. My Dad was in the air force out of Englang during the war. He was based in Malasia and the Philipenes. They had some real hard ships that we could never even imagine now a days. They all fought for the way we live now and we should be very thankfull for that. Dad still is a very active member of the RCAF in Canada as the Alberta president Air Force association. The older boys have some great stories and if they want to tell us then we should be listening. :)

Mandelon
07-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Geez, you guys make me miss my old man. :(
He used to tell great stories. He was in WWII flying recon in some little spotter plane.....while they were poking around up there something suddenly dropped past them....then another......Looked like watermelons, he said. The big booms, probably gave it away.....
Yeah, you guessed it. When they were able to see above them, the sky had several dozen bombers dropping their loads all around them. As much as they wanted to panic and beat it out of there, they figured the best thing was just to hold course and hope the guys above them saw them down there..
Obviously they made it back, with only a few shrapnel holes in the plane.
For a while my dad actually was in charge of a mounted cavalry group. :rolleyes: Yep, real horses. Fort Ord??? I don't remember all the details, but he had pics of his guys all mounted up on horseback.
He died a few years ago... frown

NorCal Gameshow
07-20-2003, 04:01 PM
thanks for the great story, sometimes we take our dads for granted. my pop was in korea, he doesn't talk much about it ...it's great he shared that with you ...