PDA

View Full Version : VHF anyone?

PUMP 'HER'
06-26-2003, 06:29 AM
Just wondering how many of you have a vhf radio. Looking into getting one here just wanted to get some opinions on them, what brand, model and any thoughts on them. Like what sort of range are you seeing, water resistance, stuff like that. Looking for a hand held model but is a permanently mounted one any better? I have seen them for anywhere from $100-$200. As with anything else I am sure you get what you pay for. Let me know what you think, and if anybody is looking to unload a good one cheap...

snappertapper
06-26-2003, 08:40 AM
i ahve a SI-tex i cant remember which model but i know all of my electronics are SI-tex. Everything from the bottom machine to the radar to the vhf. damn good electronics

Seadog
06-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Boater's world has a Hummingbird hand held for $80 that is decent. I would get a low budget unit to start with. Once you determine if you want to expand your usage, you will then know what features to get. Also, don't forget, the base units can wind up costing a lot more by the time yo figure in antennae and mounting accesories.

PUMP 'HER'
06-27-2003, 05:30 AM
[ June 27, 2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: PUMP 'HER' ]

PUMP 'HER'
06-27-2003, 05:30 AM
Yeah I don't really want a big ugly antennae on the boat anyway. Just wondered if they work any better.

Seadog
06-27-2003, 05:33 AM
Big antennae give more range, but it all depends on your requirements. Off shore, you would probably want as much range as you can get, but inland a good handheld should be perfect.