PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trailer Dollys????

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm seeing them new anywhere from $600 to $2000 dollars. www.powercaster.com (http://www.powercaster.com) or www.powermoverinc.net (http://www.powermoverinc.net)
No idea where I could find one on E-Bay...any ideas?
Thanks.

Boozer
08-01-2003, 09:56 AM
I have seen jacks similair to this at body shops. They use them to move cars around the shop. My guess is that you could find one of their jacks used for a good price and then modify it to work on your trailer.

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Correct Boozer I've seen similar/bigger units in a Trans repair shop that moves/pushes around dead autos.
I'd like to see if I could maybe find a used one as in the links above, there also alot smaller/narrower in size to fit in a garage.

Boozer
08-01-2003, 10:05 AM
HammerDown:
Correct Boozer I've seen similar/bigger units in a Trans repair shop that moves/pushes around dead autos.
I'd like to see if I could maybe find a used one as in the links above, there also alot smaller/narrower in size to fit in a garage. You should call a body shop or trans shop and ask them what the correct name is called and also ask them where you might be able to find a good deal on a used one. If you do that you might even find a shop that has one they'll sell you.

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 10:14 AM
I did stop in a local Trans shop where one of the help said the owner bought the unit I saw off e-bay...he said it was a good deal, other than that he was useless....It had a large push bumper on the fromt and was DC powered. Nice piece but just a little to wide to store in the garage between the Vette and Harley...But I will make some visits to other shops as you suggested.

572Daytona
08-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Did you check in the guestbook at the Power Caster site? There are some people advertising used ones there:
http://www.powercaster.com/viewguestbook.asp

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Excellent idea 572Daytona...and a major brain fart on my behalf! :D

HM
08-01-2003, 10:23 AM
HammerDown:
I'm seeing them new anywhere from $600 to $2000 dollars. www.powercaster.com (http://www.powercaster.com) or www.powermoverinc.net (http://www.powermoverinc.net)
No idea where I could find one on E-Bay...any ideas?
Thanks. My dad has one from power mover and my buddy has one from power caster. They both work well.
I believe that power caster is the original. A guy left power caster and started power mover. I think there may even be a legal battle going on and they both trash each other when you talk to them.
I believe the power movers are cheaper in price and power caster claims that it is because they use cheaper parts, have no real warranty, and operate out of a garage. I talked to power caster at a boat show and you could see the hair on the back of their neck stand up when I mentioned power mover.
There is some welding involved on your trailer - fairly minor. You cannot just put a ball on these things as they will just lay down. A cylinder is welded to the trailer and the cylinder on the mover fits over it - This keep the mover fixed laterally, but can pivot on a vertical axis.
Power Mover has a bolt on kit, but it chews the sheeot out of your trailer - my dad got his welded on after the first use.
I am thinking of getting one, and I think I will go with power caster as they sold me on the quality of the electrical parts and their waranty (they also have product liability insurance.)

HM
08-01-2003, 10:25 AM
If I had the room, I would just buy a used forklift!

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Awsome input HolyMoly...thanks. I'll need something with some down low grunt and traction as I have to jack my Tandem trailer on a sharp 90 degree angle to put it in its spot.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-01-2003, 10:31 AM
A friend of mine made one with a 12 volt starter motor and a car flywheel. It uses one 12 volt battery. I think he has $50 in the hole thing.

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 10:34 AM
HolyMoly:
If I had the room, I would just buy a used forklift! Not an option here...I have way to many toys to wax as it is :D

HM
08-01-2003, 10:38 AM
My dad moves his 25' v-drive cruise (one big heavy son of a beezy) and has to make a real tight 90 degree turn. It makes it pretty well - due to the cylinder attachement - but it almost peels the tires of the mover (well not quite). The only problem you might have is if you don't have much tongue wait.
My buddy (23' Tige') does not have to do serious turns, but does take his boat down his driveway - about 7% grade - and does well.
These things are not quick though!

spectratoad
08-01-2003, 10:44 AM
aviation uses things like that also.

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 10:47 AM
HolyMoly:
These things are not quick though! Nothing a Blower or a DNE sticker cant fix :D
And yes I know all about the scrubing of trailer tires when doing a 90 degree turn!
And thanks again.

HM
08-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Dans66Stevens:
A friend of mine made one with a 12 volt starter motor and a car flywheel. It uses one 12 volt battery. I think he has $50 in the hole thing. My friend mcgyver made one out of a paper clip and pencil shavings. I think he has $2 in the whole thing, and the bitchen part was that it blew a whole in the side of his storage unit after some terrorist kidnapped them and locked them up to die.

BADBLOWN572
08-01-2003, 11:00 AM
A guy I know uses one of the Power Casters to move his 36' Skater around the shop and parking lot. They work awesome. There is no way that you could put a boat that big in some of the spots he did without one. Anyone who is going to be putting a boat in a tight situation I would highly recommend the power caster. If they can move a 36' Skater around with no problem, they are built tough.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Holy Moly you are killing me.... :D jawdrop
[ August 01, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Dans66Stevens ]

572Daytona
08-01-2003, 11:15 AM
I've got a manual trailer dolly to move my Daytona around in my basement, it works fine for forwards and backwards but turning is a pain. I would love one of these as well. We need a group discount or some engineering hot shot to design and sell some cheap ones to us

HM
08-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Dans66Stevens:
Holy Moly you are killing me.... :D jawdrop :D smile_sp :D

HM
08-01-2003, 11:31 AM
I forgot to mention the models my dad a buddy got.
My dad got the AC2 (power mover). He does wish he got atleast the next one up as it does a bit of a power slide on the hard turn.
My buddy got the PC3 (power caster) - their top model.
The small wheels on both brands are only used for moving the movers around. Once you hook it up to the trailer, the small wheels are actaully off of the ground.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-01-2003, 11:41 AM
I will have to see if he still has it.
idea We could all build one and have Races.... :D

DansBlown73Nordic
08-01-2003, 11:43 AM
idea Maybe even a 4x4 model for those stone driveways...... :p

rrrr
08-01-2003, 11:49 AM
HolyMoly:
My friend mcgyver made one out of a paper clip and pencil shavings. I think he has $2 in the whole thing, and the bitchen part was that it blew a whole in the side of his storage unit after some terrorist kidnapped them and locked them up to die. Oh shit, that is too funny. You win the award for today.... :D :D

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Put race car dollys under the tandem wheels, they'll move anyway you want them to, with ease. No more scuffing tires...

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Moneypitt:
Put race car dollys under the tandem wheels, they'll move anyway you want them to, with ease. No more scuffing tires... Understood...however I'm going from Concrete to grass/back yard that equals instant dig in!

HammerDown
08-01-2003, 12:33 PM
If theres several of us that would like one of these gadgets, we should see if the Manufacture would discount a box of them! Ya never know.
I want mine with Billet Wheels.

MagicMtnDan
08-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Here's how you could get brand new units at the lowest possible price...
Call them and tell them you would like to sell them through your business (make up a name) and find out what the wholesale price is.
Then buy one (or more if you do a group buy) at wholesale price. You could even pay sales tax if they're/you're in the same state and you wouldn't have to worry about the state coming after you for the sales tax later (if they found out about your purchase).
If you tell them you'd rather pay them tax than pay it to the state (easier for you) then you shouldn't need a resale number - if they ask you for one then talk to someone on the board who has one - since you'd pay tax anyway,it shouldn't affect them.