PDA

View Full Version : Gang-bangers at the Lake/River

THATJEFFGUY
05-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the sudden influx of gang-bangers, thugs, and punk-asses at the River and lately ? I was at Lake Mohave this past Saturday and I couldn't believe how many groups of shaved head, parolee-looking tatted-up, gang-bangers that were out there with their Sea-Doos (some had boats) talking shit, breaking into the launch line, blasting their "all-bass" stereos in their Cadillac Escalades on 22's. I saw the Park Rangers arresting about 10 people, mostly gang-bangers who were just starting shit with us normal people who were trying to enjoy the lake. I personally almost got into a fight with some some punk-ass thug because he was tied-up to the courtesy docks in some POS boat from Costco, complete with a boombox sitting on the bow, that he had loaded down with the whole damn familia (14 people), blocking 3 slips. When I politely asked him to move down, he responded with F*** YOU...you can wait Bitch. Luckily for him, my kids were on the boat so I acted somewhat rationally. Later that night, I gave him a complimentary "pinstriping" job when I saw the same boat sitting on a trailer parked in Laughlin. And since when does proper River attire include gold chains, baggy denim shorts hanging down past your knees, white socks pulled up to your knees..with sandals, and a tucked-in wife-beater...in 103 degree heat...Dumbass !!
Anyway, I was just wondering if everyone else is sick of these gang-bangin' assholes too ! Can't they just stay in LA and shoot at each other, instead of driving 4-5 hours just to pollute the lakes and rivers for us "real" boaters ?

Mr.Havasu
05-28-2003, 02:49 PM
I noticed some graffity in the channel after easter weekend.
They can leave that shit in LA too!

dimarcobros
05-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Most of these people that you are talking about are the ones that walk along the channel, who don't have their own boats, causing problems and ruining the experience for everyone. The river is all about having a good time, meeting new people, boating, and a lot of commmon courtesy. Just my .02

miller19j
05-28-2003, 02:52 PM
THATJEFFGUY:
Later that night, I gave him a complimentary "pinstriping" job when I saw the same boat sitting on a trailer parked in Laughlin. And who exactly are the thugs? That is pretty ****ed up no matter what that guy did!

THATJEFFGUY
05-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey..paybacks are a bitch right ?

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 02:55 PM
I agree miller19j, pay back only causes more problems.

THATJEFFGUY
05-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Hey RD..the denim shorts by themselves are OK...but when worn with the rest of the "gang-banger costume" and the bling bling, it looks pretty damn stupid at the River!!

miller19j
05-28-2003, 03:01 PM
THATJEFFGUY:
Hey..paybacks are a bitch right ? Blocking the courtesy dock ---------> Rude
Defacing the side of someone’s boat ---------->Criminal!
To be honest with you I personally think that you are no better than him. At least he didn’t deface your property when you weren’t around. I think that is pretty chicken shit and childish. But that’s just my opinion

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:03 PM
maybe since I grew up in east los angeles, I am just used to the gang activity. Having brown skin probably saves me from the little coments and remarks they say at the river.
For the most part I have seen more issues between regular guys out there then gang members.
Anyone who causes trouble is a dick, no matter who or what you are..... cant we all just get a long.

hboldno7
05-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah, we had some gang banger lookin guy on a sea-doo drench our boat with a pretty good size wave while we were floating along the strip down river from the roadrunner with the ski flag up and the HATCH OPEN. as he came in for the second wave im pretty sure the Bud Lite I had cocked and ready strayed Him away. What are these assholes thinkin. We fired up and chased him back to find all of his "Homies" sitting on the beach waiting to ride the family sea-do. Didnt think it was really a good idea to go chat with them about it so I showed them my Bare ass instead. Oh denim shorts and wife beater = Mexican wet suit

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:10 PM
no wonder why I dont like parker that much. too many River Dave attitudes there. LOL :D

Hal
05-28-2003, 03:11 PM
I have to agree with miller19j. It could even be possible with that many people up there that someone else had one of those "Costco" type boat that just looked the same. :confused:

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:12 PM
hboldno7:
. Oh denim shorts and wife beater = Mexican wet suit Lets not get racial here. :mad:

SCHWETTYBALLS
05-28-2003, 03:15 PM
WHATS EVERYONE. NEW TO THE BOARDS. I ALWAYS PEEK AROUND AND READ THE COMMENTS. I AGREE, **** GANG-BANGERS

91nordic29
05-28-2003, 03:19 PM
what is a "bling bling"??

Irishluck
05-28-2003, 03:20 PM
They always f##k something up don't they. I went to perris lake not to long ago and their they were acting like the dumbf##ks they are, starting shit, cutting people off with sea doos, and leaving their beer cans everwhere. O well they still work low wage jobs so they won't be able to afford a big boat to put a 100 more of their dumbf##k friends in. Sorry to vent but I hate gang bangers.

Boozer
05-28-2003, 03:21 PM
RiverDave:
While I don't necesarrily agree with keying someones truck, I'M ALL FOR making these little pricks trips as miserable as possible (in a non violent way) so they lose interest in coming back.
I think that's the main reason they haven't invaded Parker yet is because the locals are down right ruthless to those kinda people.
RD You think that will solve anything RD? I will tell you straight up if I found out anyone keyed my "gayliner" as you put it, I would break bones. It might not have cost me $150,000 but I still have to work the money that is spent every month making the payment on my boat. Based on the fact that this guy didn't have a chance to break bones that's some serious chickenshit stuff to do and will only make problems worse. Now instead of not going back to the river he's going to continue going to the river with and even worse attitude and piss even more people off.
I agree what the guy did was rude but at least he said some stuff to your face and didn't do it behind your back. If it made you that mad you should have gotten in his face about it. Or ignored it and let it be.
If you want to keep them out don't trash their stuff. Make them feel unwelcomed and them treat like them second class citizens. When they Sup Dawg and try to make conversation stick your nose in the air and turn your head the other way. Also train your daughters to think that these guys are worthless pieces of shit. Maybe even beat a few of em up just to prove the point that they aren't such tough guys after all. As long as the girls at the river keep spreadin their legs to these guys, these guys will keep flocking to the river.

Phat_Kat
05-28-2003, 03:22 PM
It's just that you guys with no money can get those little weedwackers. The "in" thing is either shaved or really long. So that's what was up with the skin head factor. Just to clarify. If their assholes then what do you expect, they haven't been hit yet. I've been hit by a boat about 4 times on my ski and it wasn't at all pleasent. Got a few minor fractures from the boats but the skies were either me flying over the nose of the other guy or him flying up my back. Got a few scars from that. I'd recommend taking a little snap at them. Just wake'em up a little. Keep friends around cause guys that are real young like to start fights but as soon as they see a few boats pulling up and staring at them they'll shove off. I know this cause I've had "friends" that have tried to start fights with boaters and when the boaters buddies showed up they got the hell out of there.

hboldno7
05-28-2003, 03:24 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
hboldno7:
. Oh denim shorts and wife beater = Mexican wet suit Lets not get racial here. :mad: I apoligize if it came off that way scuba, I just thought it was funny when I heard that for the first time this weekend from a "Hispanic" member of our group. Not getting Racial

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Boozer:
As long as the girls at the river keep spreadin their legs to these guys, these guys will keep flocking to the river. Why is it women or should I say girls like "tough" guys?

TrojanDan
05-28-2003, 03:27 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
Lets not get racial here. :mad [/QB]I agree Steve. A pretty f'd up comment. It's called ignorance.

Jungle Boy
05-28-2003, 03:28 PM
I don't see much of the gang type homos that you guys are talking about, but I do know that when they are all gathered up and pissing normal people off, that's not right. They have more toes than IQ and most of them won't fight a fight one on one. They are chicken shits. People that go the lake for a good time with their friends and family don't need to feel threatened by these lowlifes. I agree with RD, go out of your way to make them feel unwelcome and they'll stop coming or they will conform.

bigd1
05-28-2003, 03:28 PM
HAHAHA!!! Boozer you're just pissed 'cause you drive a gayliner... (I would be too).
[ May 28, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: bigd1 ]

HARDIN18
05-28-2003, 03:31 PM
A couple of ass holes on sea doos almost hit us on our boat. I watched them a bit and they were just being flat out dangerous. That really pissed me off so we chased them down to tell them they were being dumb ass's and they tried to sprey us so I just introduced them to a Place diverter. Didn't get them to bad. They seemed to slow down a little afterwards.

78Eliminator
SCUBA STEVE:
Boozer:
As long as the girls at the river keep spreadin their legs to these guys, these guys will keep flocking to the river. Why is it women or should I say girls like "tough" guys? Those aren't real women....

91nordic29
THATJEFFGUY
what is bling bling? i'm not "down" with the lingo.

Boozer
05-28-2003, 03:33 PM
bigd1:
HAHAHA!!! Boozer you're just pissed 'cause you drive a gayliner... (I would be too). Maybe when my dad gets a raise I can upgrade to a Maxum. Until then I am stuck with my costco bought gayliner.

78Eliminator
05-28-2003, 03:34 PM
91nordic29:
THATJEFFGUY
what is bling bling? i'm not "down" with the lingo. Means shiny. Like a diamond sparkling is "bling bling". Mostly it is used to describe big shiny 21" wheels.....
78(not racist in any way and does not deface anyones property)Eliminator

TrojanDan
05-28-2003, 03:36 PM
78Eliminator
78(not racist in any way and does not deface anyones property)Eliminator [/QB]:D :D :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:37 PM
hboldno7:
SCUBA STEVE:
hboldno7:
. Oh denim shorts and wife beater = Mexican wet suit Lets not get racial here. :mad: I apoligize if it came off that way scuba, I just thought it was funny when I heard that for the first time this weekend from a "Hispanic" member of our group. Not getting Racial Its all good in the hood. :D It is funny, but maybe not to a mexican on this thread.

78Eliminator
05-28-2003, 03:38 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
It is funny, but maybe not to a mexican on this thread. ...and all this time I thought you were jamaican LOL

DogHouse
05-28-2003, 03:40 PM
78Eliminator:
SCUBA STEVE:
It is funny, but maybe not to a mexican on this thread. ...and all this time I thought you were jamaican LOL And all this time I thought anyone with US citizenship was an "American"...
wink

Jrocket
05-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Dam this thread really took off!!! :D
[ May 28, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Jrocket ]

wetandwild
05-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Was almost sank by boat trying to get to close and causing big wakes at castaic lake,a boat full of gang bangers.When you have kids in the boat and afraid of the boat sinking and screamming daddy make them stop,it's time we all put our heads together and get ride of the s--t on the lake.Kids need to have fun not to be afraid of bone heads like gang bangers.The lake is for family.Amen.

Jrocket
05-28-2003, 03:45 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
Anyone who causes trouble is a dick, no matter who or what you are..... Very true...and we've all been a dick at one time or another. :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:46 PM
78Eliminator:
SCUBA STEVE:
It is funny, but maybe not to a mexican on this thread. ...and all this time I thought you were jamaican LOL For a while there I thought I was. :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 03:50 PM
You know whats kind of funny, we used to go to rosarito for the major holiday weekends. Until gangmembers discovered it. Then we discovered the river.....
Maybe they are just following me???? Maybe I'll start going to canada this way tom brown can have them?

Kilrtoy
Now where are those asshole cops(SARCASIM.
Yes there are more and more shit bags showing up everywhere, the cholos just stand out more than the rest of them....

Boozer
RiverDave:
Boozer:
RiverDave:
While I don't necesarrily agree with keying someones truck, I'M ALL FOR making these little pricks trips as miserable as possible (in a non violent way) so they lose interest in coming back.
I think that's the main reason they haven't invaded Parker yet is because the locals are down right ruthless to those kinda people.
RD You think that will solve anything RD? I will tell you straight up if I found out anyone keyed my "gayliner" as you put it, I would break bones. It might not have cost me $150,000 but I still have to work the money that is spent every month making the payment on my boat. Based on the fact that this guy didn't have a chance to break bones that's some serious chickenshit stuff to do and will only make problems worse. Now instead of not going back to the river he's going to continue going to the river with and even worse attitude and piss even more people off.
I agree what the guy did was rude but at least he said some stuff to your face and didn't do it behind your back. If it made you that mad you should have gotten in his face about it. Or ignored it and let it be.
If you want to keep them out don't trash their stuff. Make them feel unwelcomed and them treat like them second class citizens. When they Sup Dawg and try to make conversation stick your nose in the air and turn your head the other way. Also train your daughters to think that these guys are worthless pieces of shit. Maybe even beat a few of em up just to prove the point that they aren't such tough guys after all. As long as the girls at the river keep spreadin their legs to these guys, these guys will keep flocking to the river. Boozer, if you reread my post and reread your post they say the exact same thing. I said I didn't agree with the pinstriping, but I'm all for making them uncomfortable. Besides I think he pinstriped his truck, not his gayliner. wink
RD Now as I reread that I feel almost moronic. But oh well, I added one to the post count. Triple digit club is here.

riverliver
05-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Jrocket:
SCUBA STEVE:
Anyone who causes trouble is a dick, no matter who or what you are..... Very true...and we've all been a dick at one time or another. :D Ya just ask my wife !!!!

JetBoatRich
05-28-2003, 03:52 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
You know whats kind of funny, we used to go to rosarito for the major holiday weekends. Until gangmembers discovered it. Then we discovered the river.....
Maybe they are just following me???? Maybe I'll start going to canada this way tom brown can have them? Are you saying not to invite you anywhere?
:D
I like the Tom Brown Idea! eek!

Ziggy
05-28-2003, 03:54 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
Maybe they are just following me???? Maybe I'll start going to canada this way tom brown can have them? Ah, ha, so its your fault eh? :D

Jrocket
05-28-2003, 03:59 PM
RiverDave:
Jrocket:
SCUBA STEVE:
Anyone who causes trouble is a dick, no matter who or what you are..... Very true...and we've all been a dick at one time or another. :D go get me a rag... "sugar." :D
RD LMAO.. :D

SoCalOffshore
05-28-2003, 04:19 PM
They will never go away by ignoring them. Look around. Are there more or less of these guys over the years? The cops need to be on top of these a holes, before some law abiding citizen blows one away protecting his family. But seriously, can we all just get along?

Danhercules
05-28-2003, 04:33 PM
I even saw a japanese gang banger once eek! !!
RD [/QB]Asain gangsta from Westminsta!!
:p
Also about the "pinstripe", Thats over the line. Even slashing a tire is messed up. What I have done is letting the air out of the tire. Dont put a hole in it. You are not detroying anything, costing them money. If they are stupid, let them be. If they are smart they will look to see if there is a slash or a nail. Just a bit of inconvenance. Just like he did you at the dock. Just my thoughts

bear down
05-28-2003, 04:42 PM
This is my thought on Gangbangers. I am now 28 and I started going to Rosarito Beach and to Ensenada when I was 17-18 yrs old. For the first 3 years it was the bomb experience, local San Diego Crowds, People from AZ colleges came down and partied and people of course from So. Cal areas. It was almost like a Lake Havasu experience except with no boats and with corrupt cops, then on the 4th year gangbanger started coming in (this is when lowered cars with big dollar rims started taking off and race bikes) and started to dominate the scene then on the 5th year and mini riot occured in Rosarito and things really went south from there. What I saw last year and what I see this year is somewhat similar to what I saw in Mexico, though some of the bangers were a bit over 18 and went there because of the drinking laws a majority of them were still older. This year I was amazed to see the Lake Havasu City P.D. Gang Task Force wearing all black on the channel, that kinda dampered my spirits a bit. I feel the River is all about the "Bling Bling" effect and not about enjoying boating and meeting new friends like the old days. I just hope nothing serious happens that could jeopardize this great place to get together and hang out. Laws can get pretty tight when the shit hits the fan! Just wanted to share my thoughts.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-28-2003, 04:46 PM
I agree with just about all of you. I think it is just a trend. People see the river on rap videos and girls gone wild crap. So they come out for that. I belive the women have the power on this.The last thing i want to see at the river is this type of people. That is why i leave home is to get away and party with hot boating people, not JZ and Snoop Dog. You know what i mean? I take my girlfriend out there and people get crazy. If you saw a man and a women would you not think they are togather and nt try to toss beads to see her tits? :mad: Do you see these people on normal weekends? Also hey if you come out and love boating then come have a beer with me. Just respect the river, clean up your trash and dont be a dick TO PEOPLE WITH THERE FAMILIES. I am 23 and want to have a good time as much as the next guy, just leave the drugs and the rags at home. Just mu.02

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-28-2003, 04:49 PM
Also i have tatoo's, a shaved head a and wear black wife beaters sometimes. Why? Because I am Balding and could lose a little weight. :D Just be cool and help others. That is what it is all about.

bear down
05-28-2003, 04:53 PM
RiverDave:
That's the 2nd time someone mentioned mexico.
I haven't been to ensenada or rosorito in years (usually go further south)
Has it really gotten that bad down there? I was 1/2 ass thinking about going down there this weekend, but this is making me think otherwise.
RD My wife and I have a tradition on going on our b-days to Rosarito every year. It has gotten better but it has taken a long time and a strict ruling arm of the law to get it to this point. I still see them there and are visable but not as much as when they first came into town. Make sure to stay at Las Rocas resort in Rosarito, very Nice Spot, plus there is a AM-PM next to there if you have the munchies!!!! and a pretty good little hometown bar.

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 05:11 PM
bear down we must have been talking about the same time frame, I am also 28 oh shit I mean 29. I now have fear going to rosarito with just me & the wife. Last time I was there was in 99. Now the best time to go is during the bike race's.
They also have a good event called college fest held every June. I have a few friends that promote that event. This year it happens to fall on the same day as op6.

Freak
05-28-2003, 05:13 PM
I wish the thug trend would end, but I think it will be a problem for years to come. Nationwide. I also feel teens should be held responsible for their actions. When I was a teen we were fu*k up's but we had respect for adult's. No longer is it that way.
[ May 28, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Freak ]

bear down
05-28-2003, 05:22 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
bear down we must have been talking about the same time frame, I am also 28 oh shit I mean 29. I now have fear going to rosarito with just me & the wife. Last time I was there was in 99. Now the best time to go is during the bike race's.
They also have a good event called college fest held every June. I have a few friends that promote that event. This year it happens to fall on the same day as op6. I agree with you Steve, I have never been to College fest, I believe that all started after I really stopped going there, but I hear it pretty organized and fun and sponsored by some good companies and radio stations. We must get together and do some "ROSARITO" partying with the wives in Havasu!

THATJEFFGUY
05-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah I agree...we need to start making them feel uncomfortable and just MAYBE they will forget about the River and the Lake Mohave. Unfortunately the cops are way to busy out there trying to enforce the safe boating laws and taking care of the accidents usually caused by the ignorant PWC riders to take notice of the ever increasing gang activity. You know it's geting bad when you see the LHCPD gang task force floating thru the channel. I think alot of these so called gang-bangers are just a bunch of young punks trying to play the part too, just to intimidate people. My family has always enjoyed going to the River, but now I have to wory about keeping them safe from the assholes out there. I hate to say it, but now when loading up the boat, I'm gonna have to remember to grab the Glock from the truck, along with the coolers (don't worry, I have a CCW). I may never have to use it, but at least I know it's there just in case. I'm sure some of you on the boards will run away with that last comment, but hey...I'm gonna protect my family whatever it takes !!

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 05:25 PM
RiverDave:
SCUBA STEVE:
no wonder why I dont like parker that much. too many River Dave attitudes there. LOL :D Scuba, you don't look like a gang banger. Maybe a big scary mofo, but not gangland none the less.
Gang Bangers are not a race, they are a group spread out through all the races.
I've seen white gang bangers, black, and yes mexican. I even saw a japanese gang banger once eek! !!
RD Hey RD, the big scary mofo is for mrs scuba! You cant have it.... LOL :D :D
I have to agree there are gang members in every race. The "real" gang members are the ones that dont advertise that they are gang members. What we see at the river or anywhere are what they call soldiers. enough of this, lets talk about boobs, beads, beer & boats (but not gayliners j/k) :D :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 05:47 PM
bear down:
SCUBA STEVE:
They also have a good event called college fest held every June. I have a few friends that promote that event. This year it happens to fall on the same day as op6. I agree with you Steve, I have never been to College fest, I believe that all started after I really stopped going there, but I hear it pretty organized and fun and sponsored by some good companies and radio stations. We must get together and do some "ROSARITO" partying with the wives in Havasu! sounds good, body shots,tacos, beer, did I forget to mention the body shots? :D

Eric455
05-28-2003, 05:54 PM
can we all just get along. let me see your ass get jumped and f**ked with by these chollos and then i'll talk to you. until then yes lets all just get along until some prick gets up and wants to start shit cuz your being urself.
eric

Eric455
05-28-2003, 05:57 PM
ya know!!! me and my friends beat the shit out of some assholes @ perris lake this weekend. doing 65in the new boat and the ****ers decide to cut us off with ther POS seedoos. i'd love to see someone make a hard left ina v-drive doing 65. "boat kinda sort of wants to flip over ya know"
eric

Infomaniac
05-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Come on guys - no jet boaters in your crowd?
A little roost on their party will wake them up.

riverguy454
05-28-2003, 07:22 PM
i was out at lake mohave during memorial weekend and it looked like i was in east la what really pissed me off was when we were trying to load all the idiots would not pull off the ramp before they started wiping thier seados down

JetBoatRich
05-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Infomaniac:
Come on guys - no jet boaters in your crowd?
A little roost on their party will wake them up. That may get you shot :o

sorry dog
05-28-2003, 07:31 PM
It's just that you guys with no money can get those little weedwackers. Now there's a first class trolling.
A little speed envy eh?

moneypit
05-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Bottom Line.... Its all about respect to others and their property. If that Line is crossed then, they pay the piper. I personally dont have any problem choking anyone out if they cross my line or put my family in danger. I dont care what race, color or creed they are. Sure you see alot more hispanic people on the water. Thats great! I dont think it has anything to do with their race. Ive traded blows with 3 white Skin heads three tears ago. I came back to my lake front trailor on Havasu Landing. They were F'n sitting on my front porch with their Keg of beer making themselves at home. I told them to get the f' out and they challenged me. I took out the biggest one and then the rest high tailed it. So, it doesnt happen to be just a person who appears to be a gang banger....Hell I ve had a rifle pointed in my face over a campsite in Kern 8 years ago... That dude appeared to be an "okie". He got his.
Im out

Wicky
05-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Now I remember why I moved to WIdaho!!
Cali used to be a great place.
Si mon esse!!!
Vatos locos forever!!!
Thank you MTV and rap music. Seems to me Gangbangers all have that in common!!

PlayTime
05-28-2003, 07:52 PM
miller19j, pinstripping not cool.
The gangbangers really do wreck the over all feel of the river. I agree with you on that much.
I try and go where they usually can't. Most rent the seadoos or walk the channel. So catch me in copper canyon or the sandbar or steamboat cove where they usually are not. I'm the one with the shaved head :D . I'll be happy to share my tunes, and maybe a few beers :)

Duck
05-28-2003, 08:26 PM
After reading the other thread about cops attitudes and how the SBPD seemed to be picking on the easy "offenders", does it surprise you that they want no part in challenging a boatload of homies and go for the easy ticket, or whatever they can get. Mr. Mexican wetsuit (I like that description of "the uniform") may have a strike or two on him already and may think he could get away on the water. I would assume if something were to happen a presence would be made. But do they want to sit there, hands on pistols, waiting for their wants and warrents to come back for 14 different a-holes? The officers just want to go home to their families, so go for the easy guy, you and me. After getting hasseled by a boatload once in Copper Canyon I thought pulling the plug would be fun. Duckster

Havasu_Jet_85
05-28-2003, 08:47 PM
I know way to many Gang-Banngers at the river these days. I remember going to the river and not seeing one. But that was like forever and a day ago.

beached 1
05-28-2003, 08:53 PM
When magazines, TV shows and people on the internet stop blabbering about how cool it is where they hang out. Post pics of naked women....etc
Get it?

moneypit
05-28-2003, 09:08 PM
huh?

KrazyKa
05-28-2003, 09:38 PM
THATJEFFGUY:
I hate to say it, but now when loading up the boat, I'm gonna have to remember to grab the Glock from the truck, along with the coolers (don't worry, I have a CCW). I may never have to use it, but at least I know it's there just in case. I'm sure some of you on the boards will run away with that last comment, but hey...I'm gonna protect my family whatever it takes !! I think this is the BIG difference between SoCal/Mexico and the AZ. In the prior places these groups can run untested. The AZ brings a whole new set of rules for these punks that they may become RUDELY aware of at some point in time. Out of state/non-resident CCWs are easy to come by in AZ and even easier in Utah (whose permits are valid in AZ).
Like Jeff worried, I'm sure some will think this is a "vigilante" type mentality. None whatsoever, however. I hope to GOD nothing ever escalated to that need and will RUN to prevent it from happenening, but there are options to law abiding persons that are not available in those other areas.

RaysonKid
05-28-2003, 09:55 PM
So to recap what I have just been reading.
If I am not dressed properly.
Or driving the correct type of boat.
Or acting a certain way.
I better just keep my ass off the river???

40oz'nHO's
05-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Its time to run them out, Marshal Law, take back the river. Key everything they own, slash their tires, break windows, pull plugs, bend props, whatever it takes. Torch a bayliner, ram a Sea Doo, throw beer bottles. Its time we get together and stop letting the filth of society take over everything. White, black, brown, purple, I don't give a crap, if there start'in shit, run them out. Excessive force is the only answer. 40's up HO's down. Hang Davis

beached 1
05-29-2003, 05:11 AM
moneypit:
huh? What I mean is the more Havasu and Parker keep up with the reputation that it's a cool party spot, the more the MTV croud is going to flock to it.
The river is really shallow and it smells like urine where I hang out..
Get it?

Blown 472
05-29-2003, 05:22 AM
Wow, and all I have to worry bout on the sandbar here is some fat guy dropping his pants or some trophy wife gone bad showing her tits. So I guess there is something to be said for the midwest.

Jbb
05-29-2003, 05:27 AM
That really sux for you folks ...You have to work your asses off to pay to live there and drive forever to find a lake with water you can actually swim in,and now worry about the safety and security of your family because of gangs?
There is something badly wrong with this picture ...and for those espousing the rights of these scumbags ...Lets see your view when you or a loved one becomes one of their victims.....All of a sudden Atlanta doesn't seem so bad after all....Very sad!

HammerDown
05-29-2003, 05:41 AM
Dammmm, none of that crap out here...at least not at the water!

Essex502
05-29-2003, 06:00 AM
Having grown up in the Compton/Lynwood area I can honestly say that "gang-banging" is a way of life not a "way of race". White a$$holes, Latino a$$holes or black a$$holes - it makes no difference as you're still an a$$hole.
Unfortunately, PWC's opened our lakes and rivers to these low life a$$holes as more peeps can afford to go out on the water without spending a ton a money to do so. Buying a used boat and spending a lot of hours restoring it or caring for it versus buying new Sea Doo or Kawie - well you can see their care and feeding attitudes when you look at them. They are a menace. We stopped going to Laughlin because of all the gang-banger types roaming the casinos.
The bad part about reacting to these POS's is that their likely packing and won't hesitate to shoot your ass. Best to avoid them entirely.
"Pinstriping" the moron's truck or boat isn't the answer either as he probably took his rage out on someone else's stuff later that day/night.

bear down
05-29-2003, 06:12 AM
sounds good, body shots,tacos, beer, did I forget to mention the body shots? :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
Aaahhhhhh the beauty of youth~ "BODY SHOTS" I love it! I'll keep an eye out for you at the river!

HOSS
05-29-2003, 06:25 AM
**** gang bangers. I agree with the keying or better yet spray painting their truck/car. You can`t fight fair with them. Go tell that guy he is an asshole and you will be fighting 20 of them. Ok lets say five to 8. Its your face go ahead badass. I`d rather **** with their vehicle and then they might not go back there. I just believe in fighting fire with fire. Some punk ****s with you then be a punk and **** him back. John Wayne is dead asshole. :mad:

Jungle Boy
05-29-2003, 06:29 AM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
That really sux for you folks ...You have to work your asses off to pay to live there and drive forever to find a lake with water you can actually swim in,and now worry about the safety and security of your family because of gangs?
There is something badly wrong with this picture ...and for those espousing the rights of these scumbags ...Lets see your view when you or a loved one becomes one of their victims.....All of a sudden Atlanta doesn't seem so bad after all....Very sad! Same with living in west Canada. Where we boat, you don't another person unless he's a buddy. It's a shame that some people can't respect anothers freedom to have a good time and their property.

beer hunter
05-29-2003, 06:55 AM
My take on this whole thing is it will probably get worse until the cops crack down on all the BS, at that point the gang bangers will find a new place to party. Havasu/Parker will mellow out for a couple of years then it will slowly pick up again,Maybe. I remember when Palm Springs was the place to go for spring break.The cops/city council put an end to the hardcore partying and everyone found other places to go.
Just something to think about :)

wetandwild
05-29-2003, 07:37 AM
Love the rooter tail idea.When a family member get's hurt or a child get's hurt that's pretty serious stuff.The way it's going because of these bone head's,one day it will happen,God forbid it does not,it almost happen to me and my kid's on the lake.What then would any of you do in a case like that,think about it.Just think as many time's you been at the lake or river and one of these bone heads start talking sh-t with there buddy's around to try to look bad ass and you don't want the confrontation because your afraid of getting blown away or jump'ed.I think all these bone head's should be lock'ed down forever so we can enjoy life with out having to worry about this gang bang sh-t.We need to have some action,not talk.

rrrr
05-29-2003, 07:51 AM
RaysonKid:
Or acting a certain way.
I better just keep my ass off the river??? Noooooooo, read more carefully. If you are acting like an ass at the ramp, throwing trash everywhere, operating your boat in a manner that endangers other people, threatening violence, and generally being a ****ing piece of scum, stay home.
Give the politically correct crap a rest. Don't suppose up in Washington you have had the pleasure to be around these sunny folks. I think the cops should harass the shit outta them.

91nordic29
05-29-2003, 08:43 AM
rrrr:
RaysonKid:
Or acting a certain way.
I better just keep my ass off the river??? Noooooooo, read more carefully. If you are acting like an ass at the ramp, throwing trash everywhere, operating your boat in a manner that endangers other people, threatening violence, and generally being a ****ing piece of scum, stay home.
Give the politically correct crap a rest. Don't suppose up in Washington you have had the pleasure to be around these sunny folks. I think the cops should harass the shit outta them.

91nordic29
05-29-2003, 08:46 AM
what i meant to say is that i agree. if the coppers would harass the people who need harrassing, us regular folks could relax without worrying about the scumbags OR the cops. It pretty bad when i worry about my hubby drinking a beer with his lunch and getting an impromptu "safety check" and worrying that he will get in trouble. :rolleyes:

lawbreaker2
05-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Whats wrong with bald heads I have a bald head and that is because it wont grow anymore. eek!

Infomaniac
05-29-2003, 09:24 AM
lawbreaker2:
Whats wrong with bald heads I have a bald head and that is because it wont grow anymore. eek! Viagra will fix that.
Unless you were talking about your hair.
What is a gang banger? Think I heard about them on the news. Not the Okie news.

Boozer
05-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Infomaniac:
[QUOTE]What is a gang banger? Think I heard about them on the news. Not the Okie news. Gang Banger: (1) A trouble making low life who makes everyone's life miserable to make him/herself feel better about being the low life he or she is. (2)The reason hard working single guys don't get laid as often as they should.

91nordic29
05-29-2003, 09:40 AM
it is someone in a porno flick jawdrop

Cole
05-29-2003, 09:40 AM
We had a group of gangbangers camped next to us last year in blythe,and i mean a group....50 or so!!
We had NO problem what so ever...as a matter of fact they were offering us beers and being pretty cool...
i had a jet boat and was having a hard time starting it one morning, a couple of them offered to help us fix it...which they did!!
we respected them....and they respected us!!!
had no problems at all....Cole

RaysonKid
05-29-2003, 10:28 PM
rrrr:
RaysonKid:
Or acting a certain way.
Give the politically correct crap a rest. Don't suppose up in Washington you have had the pleasure to be around these sunny folks. I think the cops should harass the shit outta them. rrrr,
Well, we have plenty of that type of stuff up here.
Good luck getting the cops to do anything.
If they are anything like the cops up here.
Politically correct??
I dont think so. But you get what you give.

Seadog
05-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Info, we had some a few years ago at Keystone, remember? Them's those dark skin types that wear the bandanas wrong, walk funny and have the cars that go up and down without potholes. They don't last too long in an area where everyone has a shotgun rack in their pickups. They whip out their little flickum knifes and Bubba whips out ole Betsy. End of discussion.

Infomaniac
05-30-2003, 06:08 AM
I missed it. I only go to Keystone on Thurs nights. Had a blast last night.

burbanite
05-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Seadog:
They whip out their little flickum knifes and Bubba whips out ole Betsy. End of discussion. Now that is funny!... http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif.....and I would believe it....
[ May 30, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: burbanite ]

sandblasted
05-30-2003, 06:33 AM
Reading thru Jeff's original note 2 things stand out..
1. gangbangers, or any group of punks for that matter wanting to cause trouble with you when you're with your wife and kids..
2. all around stupidy and rude behavior at launch ramps.
Regarding #1, Face it, any group of punks can cause trouble, not just cholos. It always seems like you run into a group of idiots like this when you are with your family...what are you going to do? get you ass kicked in front of your wife and kids? That would not be a good thing for your family to watch.
#2. I think all the major launch ramps should charge a fee on big weekends and hire a ramp marshall. The marshall needs to make sure people are ready to launch and gets them on and off the ramp in a timely manner, if some group of punks lips off to him he calls the cops and they throw them off the ramp..No reason the rest of us should have to deal with it.

wetandwild
05-30-2003, 07:02 AM
That's the best idea I've heard yet sandblasted.

Seadog
05-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Info, I remember something about an incident about 10+ years ago at the state park with harrassing campers, but it would appear that the powers that be got it under control real quick. I see an occasional report about gang activity in OKC and Tulsa, but luckily we don't have the headaches I have seen on the west coast and places down in Texas and Florida.

SCUBA STEVE
05-30-2003, 07:19 AM
Sandblasted that is a great idea. I would pay an extra 5 bucks to get some control around the launch ramps.

Forkin' Crazy
05-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Damn, guys, I feel for y'all. That sucks. The gangs around here stay in the hood.
I think the lauch fee would work as long as the marshall did what he is suppose to do. Myself, I would not want to approach 8 wannabe gangstas at the boat launch. If they got belligerent (which is highly likely) I would hope from some people at the ramp to back me up.....LOL.
It seems a few always ruin it for the many, where ever I go. :mad:

OGShocker
05-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Maybe they are just following me???? Maybe I'll start going to canada this way tom brown can have them? [/QB]D@mn bud,
Just stay in Norwalk and leave Canada alone! I spend a lot of time there... I tell all the Bangers I am going skiing on the LA river... Fools most of them wink

Ziggy
05-30-2003, 11:23 AM
The punks that bugged him to begin with may have come from Phoenix just as easily, known badass dudes there. Just because they looked like gangbangers doesn't mean they came from LA area.
If I recall, there is normally a Ranger who controlled the flow of cars at Katherines ramp during the busy days. But if he's just an older fellow doing a duty he's probably afraid to say anything to them either....on the other hand, if "authorized personell" can't do the job then they should be calling in the reinforcements for everyones safety. An armed policeman(or equivelent) posted at the ramps with several ready handcuffs on his waist would possibly deter the foul actions at the ramps. Once on the lake it is plenty easy to disperse and not have any interactions with them, so long as you didn't piss 'em off and have them chase you down.
BTW, I haven't found it to be a real problem as of yet but proactive measures might alleviate future conflicts.

sandblasted
05-30-2003, 04:55 PM
A few years back they use to have a gang problem at Nacimiento but the Rangers and the County Sheriff clamped down on it pretty good...People can still party and have a good time but the cops don't take no shit...and the only thing they have ever told me is to turn down the stereo after 10pm...

little rowe boat
05-30-2003, 05:28 PM
The bangers come from vegas,la,phoenix,san diego.They are the same everywhere,trying to rip people off,start trouble and looking for fights.I have found that the best way to handle these low lifes is to ignore them,they are trying to get a reaction which gives them an excuse to escalate the situation. DON'T LET THEM RUIN YOUR GOOD TIME.If they do then they have done what they have set out to do.Just smile and say have a nice day.

LUVNLIFE
05-31-2003, 09:27 AM
My .02. They always seem to be really tough in a pack of ten and like to talk shit when it's just you and your family, read chicken shit. The thing that just makes me blow them off is remembering my family's safety, my truck is parked in the parking lot, and the boat is on the trailer at the hotel. I don't want my stuff screwed with. I started going to the river whhen you took care of your trash, everyone helped each other, and you didn't have to worry about your toy's because everybody was there for the same reason. Times change, hopefully they will change again and the bangers will go somewhere else.

Boatcop
05-31-2003, 10:47 AM
While we have had occasional contacts with the East LA/South Central type bangers here on the Strip, the Fontucky, OC, Moreno Valley "heydude's" are a much bigger problem.
You know, the Sum41/Linkin Park wannabes, that the song "(Another Loser) Anthem" was written about.
They're the ones jacking your golf carts, making beer runs amd gas drive-offs at the Circle K, trashing the rentals, and making life miserable for the common folk.
We threw a bunch out of a rental Condo at Rios Del Colorado over the Holiday. Residents and the owners have gone out of their way to come over and thank us for doing it.
Race or gang affiliation has nothing to do with it. It's all about respect and courtesy. Whether it's a bunch of 30 something ad executives blasting their stereos at 3 in the morning, a bunch of west side Berdoo punks cutting in at the ramp, or East LA bangers on stolen PWCs, it's all about treating the people the way YOU would want to be treated.
Before casting stones, look at your own conduct when you're a guest in someone else's back yard.

boatnam2
05-31-2003, 11:07 AM
boatcop is exactly right,its the 20 something linkin park white crowd that causes the most problems at parker .our girls were running around with a few a couple of weeks ago i just new something was going to happen and sure enough the dumd asses drove there xr 70's out on the golf course greens and i got a 6am visit from the police.

Fast Fishys
06-01-2003, 07:34 AM
I understand that you are all upset at these little 'jo's' (jack offs). But ignoring the problrm and walking away from the confrontation is not the answer. These gang members are all insecure and feed off the intimidation factor.
Have you heard the phrase strength in numbers? That's them! When theyre alone and pop off to you fire back! They will back down. they

Froggystyle
06-01-2003, 07:05 PM
I am with Alan on this one. Gang bangers are no problem for me. They leave pretty quickly. The heydudes are far worse of a dilemma, because most grew up in a river-going environment (meaning their parents were real river people and they used to come) and are finally able to do it "their" way.
As I have stated a hundred times, the way to solve this problem is through example. I pride myself on the fact that I spend an inordinate amount of time at the sandbar teaching people how to tie a bumper properly, or anchor so it won't hurt someone elses boat. Being 30 myself, I have found that a little guidance, i.e. walking around with a trashbag, or even better, having a hot chick walk around with a trashbag, making these jerks looks stupid for sinking bottles goes a long way.
How many of you hand out trashbags at the sandbar? They are cheap, and most forget them. If you just bring a roll, they end up getting used... trust me.
This was how OP6 started, and existed before the fall. It was intended to show the new guys, and the gangbangers, and everyone in between the right way to do it.
With 40 guys behind you backing you up if they lip off. That never hurts.
Squirts up!

atomrotten
06-01-2003, 08:01 PM
If everyone had my looks there would be no problem idea
Later Atom RoTTeN

NeoBurn
06-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Isn't Cali about to outlaw lake lice on the fresh water anyways????? That'll take care of half of them....

Trailer Park Casanova
06-01-2003, 10:11 PM
I carry no weapons on the boat, though I own quite a few.
To many irrating opportunities to loose ones head,, then have ones ass follow.
I wish the local markets wouldn't sell beer in glass bottles like many beach city markets who won't either.
Unfortunatly,, Emerald Cove has opened itself up to other campground memberships and it's brought in the Heydudes deluxe.
What was once a nice river membership campground has mutated into a shithole at times.
I stumbeled onto a group of them trashing one of the restroom/showers at 3 am and reported it to security and they got busted.
Did they loose their membership? ,, nope.
Fox's has the best policy on the river; "Once Kicked Out,, Never Come Back."

dmontzsta
06-01-2003, 10:26 PM
I must reply here :) I am 23 years old and a ex-gang member, I was locked up for selling dope and have went through alot from age 12-18 when I got busted at 18 and had my son, I changed my life (BTW, I am white) when I go to the lake, I am not looking to fight at all...I have hair now, and I am no longer bald...my GF's side of the family are gang member looking...but trust me...if you mind your own business and do not look wrong or talk smack nobody will do anything. It is amazing what a simple "hows it going" will do. I go to the lake with my GF, Son, Father, Mother and usually other family members, my dad is a redneck... :) we might look scary to some people, but are really the most nicest easy to get along with people there...
I am not directing this at anybody, just commenting from the first page I read.
Dont judge a book by its cover...and keying someones boat/car is lower than them talking lip.

dmontzsta
06-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Fast Fishys:
I understand that you are all upset at these little 'jo's' (jack offs). But ignoring the problrm and walking away from the confrontation is not the answer. These gang members are all insecure and feed off the intimidation factor.
Have you heard the phrase strength in numbers? That's them! When theyre alone and pop off to you fire back! They will back down. they that is not the way...stumbling across the wrong one, will make kaos break lose and people will get hurt.

boatlessd
06-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Okay, I'll put in my 2 cents. I've been going to the Lakes for 9 years. For those that don't know, I am asian and my wife is white. You don't see many asians at the river but that is changing as well. We have always had a good time, respected people, and helped quite a few who needed it. We now have 2 little kids 2yo and 3 month old and just got back from Lake Mohave on Memorial. It was a complete zoo there, everything from choppy water, to disrepectful boaters, to so called gang bangers. It was a real eye opener for us. I don't care who goes where to have fun, but when people don't respect others and are looking for trouble, I don't want to expose my family to that. I was trying to pull my boat out of the water at Telephone Cove with my trailer already waiting for me, and some dumbshit is a big ocean cruiser decides he wants to drop off his passengers at the ramp and sit his boat there. No courtesy whatsoever. Needless to say, my wife and I are evaluating whether we want to go there again on a busy weekend. Our other friends have been trying to get us to hang out at Blythe so we may have to try that. I'm not sure what the solution is but I agree something has to be done.

KrazyKa
06-02-2003, 10:46 AM
dmontzsta:
...if you mind your own business and do not look wrong or...Sorry but I find that quip amusing when put in contrast to the rest of your post. I think a lot of time the "wrong look" starts some serious stuff. I think "The Look" fascination of the "Hey Dudes" and "bangers" exemplifies the notion that everything that happens in this world is somehow directly related to them. Try to keep in mind that everyone has bad days and sometimes we keep wearing that pissed off look though it's not directed at anyone in particular. Hell if I get a migraine I know I give some people some pretty whacked looks, but I probably am too blind to even see them.

Blown 472
06-02-2003, 10:56 AM
The whole thing kinda reeks of urban terrorism. :confused:

BADBLOWN572
06-02-2003, 03:14 PM
I think that Boatcop is exactly right. I don't think that anything should be based on race, but on being a complete and total jackass. If we held people more accountable for their actions the thugs (people who have no respect for other people or their property) would take off. If we started actually enforcing the boating laws, and cracking down on unacceptable behavior the problems would be minimized. Think about it, the reason why the thugs go to Havasu is because they think that they can get away with certain behavior that they think is fun. Take away their ability to have their type of fun and they will leave.

Boozer
06-02-2003, 03:33 PM
So you mean take away the same freedoms that make the lake appeal to the rest of us as well? It's a double edged sword. I say leave it the way it is and hope the thugs go away.
Stop giving them things to steal and leg spreading teenage girls to screw and they'll stop going.
The fact of the matter is this. Whether they are disrespectful or not they have just as much right to be on the water as you or me or anyone else for that matter. You take their rights away and you are becoming the biggest hypocrite in the world. From what I have seen on these boards most everyone is all about being Pro-American. Part of wearing that title means putting up with things you don't always like because people as Americans have the right to freely be assholes. It's crappy but it's the way we need to keep it. Take away their freedoms and they'll take away ours.
Best thing you do is when they talk crap to you turn your head. No reason getting in a fight with someone because they looked at you wrong of called you some shitty name. That's the difference between us and them and that's what makes us better. Or maybe not better but more mature. We think about our actions before taking them.

Super D
06-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Boatcop hit it on the head - it doesn't matter what you look like, your vehicle, your music, etc...It's how you behave and treat others. Treat others like you want to be treated. Conduct yourself as a guest who has an obligation to be polite, tidy and respectful of people and nature. AND PICK UP YER FREAKIN' TRASH! "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints" (somebody wise). :)

Super D
06-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah, my strategy when I encounter anyone "unsavory" in the world - break the tension by being cool and sayin' "Hey, how's it goin'? or, Great day to be out and about, or Can't wait to crack a cold one!".
Watch them drop their attitudes and start being real with you. People are people.

68campbell
06-02-2003, 04:09 PM
As the owner of a bar that used to be the place to go to get in a fight. I've learned that once people see that type of behavior is not tolerated, it stopped pretty quickly.
If we show respect for our lakes and don't stir the pot, and let "Boatcop" do the rest, the "s#$t people will soon find another place to go..."Poor behavior begets more poor behavior"

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
06-02-2003, 04:36 PM
DAMB the other guy :D

dmontzsta
06-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Super D:
Oh yeah, my strategy when I encounter anyone "unsavory" in the world - break the tension by being cool and sayin' "Hey, how's it goin'? or, Great day to be out and about, or Can't wait to crack a cold one!".
Watch them drop their attitudes and start being real with you. People are people. Yeap, personally knowing where the "thugs" come from and the actions, that is the only way. I remember back in the days, I used to walk around thinking I was tuff shet and trying to show off...then if someone said "hi" or "hows it going" I immediately dropped my guards.

396_Z
06-02-2003, 05:43 PM
dmontzsta:
...and do not look wrong or talk smack... So let me get this straight. Your saying we now have to be mindful of how we look around while we're out having fun with our families?
Sorry here but if some Barney BadAss wants a problem because I looked at him wrong (and according to your post no other reason required) he should be left at home and you should be there keeping him company for trying to justify his attitude.
We're all out there to have fun, well apparently all of us but Barney.

CA Stu
06-02-2003, 05:54 PM
RiverDave:
This was how OP6 started, and existed before the fall. It was intended to show the new guys, and the gangbangers, and everyone in between the right way to do it. Ok I gotta ask here.. What "Fall?"
RD After "Summer" and before "Winter" ?
CA Stu

Jrocket
06-02-2003, 06:02 PM
As in "Have a great trip see you in the fall"? :D
Honestly,Ive never seen any REAL hard gang members at the lakes.Ive seen alot of guys that try to be hard ass's but not real tied in gang members.Most of the time its a small group of guys on some crappy boat with a couple bucks in their pocket,trying to make people think their tuff.The more there are the tuffer they get.I just drive by,ignore them and think where they will be later in life....Then I start laughing when I picture that.....LMAO :D

dmontzsta
06-02-2003, 07:07 PM
396_Z:
dmontzsta:
...and do not look wrong or talk smack... So let me get this straight. Your saying we now have to be mindful of how we look around while we're out having fun with our families?
Sorry here but if some Barney BadAss wants a problem because I looked at him wrong (and according to your post no other reason required) he should be left at home and you should be there keeping him company for trying to justify his attitude.
We're all out there to have fun, well apparently all of us but Barney. It is not so much looking wrong I think...it is more of a stare down.
Scenario: you look over for a second to see what someone is doing...that I think is ok.
But the problems seem to start when you look too long and "stare" and they start it off by making a comment such as "what are you looking at?" then a problem has started. If it were me, I would say "nothing man, kick back and have a good time"
not: "what are you looking at?" or something back. I think it is human nature to not back down from conflict. But I have learned that the person who backs down is the bigger man. Also, keep in mind...gangbangers/thugs will only do this in groups. By themselves it is much different, they might not even look at anybody.