PDA

View Full Version : Ice Machine's?

Jrocket
10-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Was'nt there a guy on the boards awhile back selling used or refurbished ice machines? Maybe down in the Havase area? Anybody remember this guy or the thread?

JetBoatRich
10-16-2003, 09:48 AM
I remember the thread and did a search nothing came up :confused:

mbrown2
10-16-2003, 09:53 AM
It was BoatPI and he had two for sale...small one and a big one...
I bought the small one, and my buddy (dennis26) bought the big one...
Both are working pretty good...Nice to have a machine full of ice every morning when you are getting the ice chests loaded... :)

Moneypitt
10-16-2003, 04:11 PM
There's a new 200 lb ice machine in the thou oaks star newspaper today. $1000. I'll give you the info if you're interested.....Moneypit

Trailer Park Casanova
10-16-2003, 06:16 PM
No one I've yet to meet has sold more ice machines than me.
And no one had made so little money as me on the sales of them. The only one who makes money on them are the distributors who undersell the servicepeople and contractors so ya can't win.
I sell them to my customers as a convience to them, because I do their A/C work,, and they trust me.
So having said that:
If you buy used, try to stay away from anything over 5 years old except Hoshizaki.
Hoshizakis are so good, Japanese fishing boats use them to make saltwater ice.
Most other brands are going to cost you plenty to keep them running after a few years.
Figure how much ice do you really need, and consider a new, or slightly used machine. You might not need as much as you think,, and the smaller the cheaper.
If ya sniff around a little,, you can find people that opened a food biz, quickly failed (Mr Philly Cheese, Taco Time, Blimpie,, plenty of loosers) and are selling their stuff like late model ice machines.
www.hoshizakiamerica.com (http://www.hoshizakiamerica.com)
[ October 16, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

OGShocker
10-17-2003, 05:56 AM
We just bought one of these from Smart and Final.
http://image.sdccorp.com/summitimages/iom/EUC200HAPB.jpg
It was around $1700.00

phebus
10-17-2003, 06:15 AM
That sure seems like a lot of money to spend just for the convenience of not having to buy ice. I almost always have to stop on the way to launch for either more gas, beer, soda, or munchies. We just plan on getting gas at a spot that offers everything we need, and a 24lb. bag of ice costs less than $2.00.

Larry Nebb
10-17-2003, 07:48 AM
phebus:
That sure seems like a lot of money to spend just for the convenience of not having to buy ice. I almost always have to stop on the way to launch for either more gas, beer, soda, or munchies. We just plan on getting gas at a spot that offers everything we need, and a 24lb. bag of ice costs less than $2.00. JRocket's a high roller. 2K for an ice machine should be nothing for him. He drives a DCB ya know. High Roller, Dang must be nice

mbrown2
10-17-2003, 08:17 AM
I paid $300 for one just like the above from Smart&Final that BoatPI refurbed....it's a older than the one above, but an Ice-o-matic just like above...friggen thing works like a champ even in a hot parker garage...when it dies, I will toss it since it might be too much too fix, but for $300, I already made my ROI with just 1 year.......we go through lots of ice..
[ October 17, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Boozer
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Best thing you can do is look for liquidation sales like TPC said. I frequent Estate auctions and commercial auctions and what not and have seen Large commercial grade ice makers sale for as little as $250 for newer machines. I'm going to an auction next week to try and locate some ice machines and glass washers to resell in the paper. If you want a good deal pick up the Sunday paper and look in the auctions section they should have an entire section devoted to nothing but auctions. Here in Denver it is actually in the sport section. If you can get a good buy on multiple units buy em all and resell em.

Boozer
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
DP
[ October 17, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Boozer ]

OGShocker
10-17-2003, 02:43 PM
mbrown2:
I paid $300 for one just like the above from Smart&Final that BoatPI refurbed....it's a older than the one above, but an Ice-o-matic just like above...friggen thing works like a champ even in a hot parker garage...when it dies, I will toss it since it might be too much too fix, but for $300, I already made my ROI with just 1 year.......we go through lots of ice.. I will note my ROI in five years unless the wife packs me off to Bettie Ford eek!

BoatPI
10-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Off the boards for a few days and my neam lights up.
Been busy lately so no hot deals. I can often get the right price on a Scotsman, generally the 200 pound. They are too large for most. That Ice O Matic was a champ. And one of the best on the market. Let you know when I find others.
Decent used machines needing cleaning run $300 to $600.