PDA

View Full Version : Kegerator

FreddieB81
07-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Does anyone have experience buildings kegerators? Do you guys have any advice or tips that would make this project easier?
I want to drill a hole from the top of the fridge to the bottom of the freezer for the coil and let the coil lay in there for colder beer. Is that out of the question? I don't know what rests in between the fridge and the freezer.
Thanks for any help.

NastyOne
07-01-2003, 09:53 AM
First time I have ever heard anything like it... but it sounds good to me.
[ July 01, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: NastyOne ]

al cole'holic
07-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Check it:
http://www.stpats.com/kegerator.htm :D

FreddieB81
07-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Blocked by work. :mad:
Can you post any pics of whatever is on that site?
Thanks.

Boozer
07-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Refrigerator Conversion Kit $213
Includes 5 lb CO2 cylinder (empty), dual gauge regulator, 4' gas line, 5' beer line, creamer faucet with 4" shank and tailpiece, faucet wrench, clamps, fridge wall space, Milan drip tray and bracket. Choose gold plated or chrome. Instuctions included.
Does not include keg tap.
1" and 11/8" hole saws required to install Refrigerator Conversion Kit.
http://www.stpats.com/images/fridgeconversion.jpg

Coach
07-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Costco by my house has them for $499 or $599 I can't remembeer.

jlnorthrup122
07-01-2003, 10:55 AM
What the hell yah trying to do build a fridgerator or a ****ing meth lab? :D :D :D :D http://www.stpats.com/images/fridgeconversion.jpg

Havasu Cig
07-01-2003, 12:59 PM
A friend used an old refrigerator and a kit like the one above. He had two taps on the side of the refrigerator for two different kinds of beer. it worked good, and I don't think it cost him that much either.

Frosty_pop
07-01-2003, 02:55 PM
I've done a couple of conversions. Are you talking about using a mini fridge? PM with any questions. And I also brew some wonderful beer if you want to get started in that.

FreddieB81
07-01-2003, 03:00 PM
I am talking about a normal size fridge. (20.6 Cu Ft) It's fairly new, but the biggest concern I have is the fridge not being able to keep the keg cold enough. That's why I'd like to run stainless steel coil(bundled) in the freezer to cool the beer as it flows.
[ July 01, 2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: FreddieB81 ]

Havasu Cig
07-01-2003, 03:08 PM
My friends was a regular size fridge and the beer was always cold. wink

Mandelon
07-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Be careful drilling through the freezer. Some models have the freon running through hollow channels in the skin of the freezer.
My wife :rolleyes: tried to defrost our little wet bar fridge with a steak knife. "Honey, what's that hissing sound?" :mad: It was the sound of $300 leaking out through the hole she accidently punched in the side of the freezer box.!!
Duh. Proper way is to unplug the unit and let it melt! Anyway check first before you drill. There may be a hole somewhere that lets the freezer air circulate down to the fridge. You might me able to run your flex line up and back through that without any drilling.

OC-PARTYCAT
07-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Wont it freeze the beer in the coil??
The fridge will just take alittle longer to get the keg cold after the initial install, but it will keep it just as cold as a can of beer.

chub
07-01-2003, 03:44 PM
I would not run the beer line thru the freezer section for the reason that when beer isn't flowing thru that line it will freeze and whamo no beer. Try keeping the freezer section completly stocked with whatever as this will divert more air from the evaporator fan down towards the cooler box. That tip goes with any fridge, the fuller the better the system runs. Single door fridge is the best for conversions I've heard. If your kit comes with only a 5' beer line scrap it and go with a 6'. I know it sounds kinda week one foot and all but that will cut down on foaming. Trust me on that one. Hope everything including the beer flows smoooooth. They don't call me chub for nothin'

Frosty_pop
07-01-2003, 05:56 PM
The fridge part will keep the keg(s) more than cold enough, you will actually have to be careful you don't freeze them. A regular size fridge will hole two half kegs (that's the size you get at your local beer store) I did one with two handles through the door and a external CO2 bottle on the side...... added a drip tray and was set. But now that I brew my own beer I have stepped up to a regular kegarator with a dual tap tower and can be serving two 5 gal kegs and still have two more chilling and ready when needed.
http://www.beverage-air.com/photogallery/photogallerypics/direct/bm23.jpg
[ July 01, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Frosty_pop ]

Mandelon
07-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Didn't think of that....the beer would freeze in the line when it is not flowing. Once frozen beer tastes bad... yuk Just fill the freezer with bottles of water and divert it to the fridge to keep it at 40* or so. If beer is too cold it hurts to drink it fast.
One camping trip one of my buds brought dry ice in his cooler. It was fun to play with. If you picked up the bottles they looked fine, but when you popped the top......the froze up solid in seconds. Pressure change I guess. :confused:

FreddieB81
07-02-2003, 05:55 AM
chub:
I would not run the beer line thru the freezer section for the reason that when beer isn't flowing thru that line it will freeze and whamo no beer. Try keeping the freezer section completly stocked with whatever as this will divert more air from the evaporator fan down towards the cooler box. That tip goes with any fridge, the fuller the better the system runs. Single door fridge is the best for conversions I've heard. If your kit comes with only a 5' beer line scrap it and go with a 6'. I know it sounds kinda week one foot and all but that will cut down on foaming. Trust me on that one. Hope everything including the beer flows smoooooth. They don't call me chub for nothin' Are you talking about regular beer line? I want the beer to flow through stainless steel coil that'll connect to the shank that connects to the faucet. Longer line, colder beer means less foam, right?
Frosty, I will definitely be PMing you soon. I'd like to try to brew my own beer. Is it a complicated process?
Edit: Stainless steel coil won't freeze, will it?
[ July 02, 2003, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: FreddieB81 ]

chub
07-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Longer line and colder beer does mean less foaming, but remenber it all comes down to product flow. I have poly tubing in my system and fail to see what stainless will benefit, besides it lookes ultra dope. If you know a trick or something I'm missing, please edumacate me. I'm just a kegerating mofo.

HOOTER SLED-
07-09-2003, 07:35 AM
FreddieB81:
Does anyone have experience buildings kegerators? Do you guys have any advice or tips that would make this project easier?
I want to drill a hole from the top of the fridge to the bottom of the freezer for the coil and let the coil lay in there for colder beer. Is that out of the question? I don't know what rests in between the fridge and the freezer.
Thanks for any help. There is a place called Superior I think in Anaheim who makes all kinds of cool kegerators and stuff(parts too). My buddy has one, all stainless. Paid about $800 or $900 I believe. It's the shit. Holds a full keg(room for glass and cans inside too), pretty compact. They have a bunch of different sizes. I could probably get a phone number if you need it.
HOOTER