PDA

View Full Version : Anyone register their cars in AZ instead of CA?

summerlove
08-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Just wondering - has anyone registered their cars in AZ instead of CA? Due to the new registration fees, I was thinking of registering my suburban there. My boat and trailer are resistered there. I have a home there, so I think it would help, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rick

al cole'holic
08-05-2003, 08:38 AM
summerlove:
Just wondering - has anyone registered their cars in AZ instead of CA? Due to the new registration fees, I was thinking of registering my suburban there. My boat and trailer are resistered there. I have a home there, so I think it would help, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rick We have had our truck registered from Idaho here since we bought it and haven't had any of the hassles I thought we would have. It may be a good idea, but then what happens if they start crackin down on out of state plates on vehicles with the drivers having Ca DL??

Trailer Park Casanova
08-05-2003, 08:40 AM
We attempted to, but Triple A warned us off.
Eventually Calif will catch up to you and collect they told us,, and with back penalties. They said they see it all the time.
A friend recently didn't get his paycheck.
The State held it up, finally catching up to him registering his cars and boat to his moms place in Havebrew.
Others on the board say they have no problems,,

Outnumbered
08-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posed by Summerlove:
If it wasn't for prior governor Pete Wilson "LOWERING" the registration fees by $4-5 BILLION/year a number of years back the State of CA would never have been placed into the situation it is now. That said, I'm not a big Gray fan, but he didn't necessairly do this all on his own. Gray inherited that boondoggle. He's just the scapegoat for the entire legislature's shortcomings. My $.02
I'm not one to usually stir up the shit but don't you want to do your part to make up for Wilson's under charge :D :D :D
Personally, I think this is gonna be the last straw for Davis.
I say boot the big spender (of our money) out before we go into the final tail spin.
JMO
OL

AzDon
08-05-2003, 08:58 AM
My vehicles are all registered in AZ!! :D :D except my boat (Ca boat reg. is cheaper!) I think your best bet is to get an AZ license and declare yourself an AZ resident that vacations at the beach 5 days a week. If you ever get caught OUI in Az with an AZ license and refuse the sobriety test,it's a fine, but they can't take your license because they haven't attached boating misdeeds to drivers licenses (yet!)Also, we don't hafta smog-check our cars EVER in Mohave and LaPaz counties
Seriously though, your residency is generally defined by where your kids go to school and where you pay your taxes. You could be an AZ resident who works in CA, file your taxes here, get refund of CA taxes and pay AZ taxes instead! Before doing so though, consider that AZ doesn't have any "state disability" and unemployment here is really low!

summerlove
08-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Old Lavey:
If it wasn't for prior governor Pete Wilson "LOWERING" the registration fees by $4-5 BILLION/year a number of years back the State of CA would never have been placed into the situation it is now. That said, I'm not a big Gray fan, but he didn't necessairly do this all on his own. Gray inherited that boondoggle. He's just the scapegoat for the entire legislature's shortcomings. My $.02
I'm not one to usually stir up the shit but don't you want to do your part to make up for Wilson's under charge :D :D :D
JMO
OL I was a little nervous asking this, because of that! I will take my lashings like a man cry I still have two other cars that are expensive and the fees are more than the chevy, and the chevy is always in Havasu, I wasn't trying to be a hipocrite, but I deserve it if one gets that impression. It wasn't necessairly my intent. But, I guess I had it coming.... :confused:

TRIMDOG
08-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Before we boot him, somebody should pin him and shave his head. That gay-ass pompadore(sp?) is really hard on the eyes cry

Mr.Havasu
08-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi Rick,
Before we lived here in Havasu permenently, we use to be week enders like you.
We registered our trucks here back then because it was alot cheaper on tags and insurance.
Here's the catch:
1.- You have to get your arizona drivers lic.(Which will expire when you are 65)
2.- You have to get Arizona Ins.(Which is cheaper than Calif.)
3.- If you get pulled over in Calif. you need to say you live in Arizona and are visiting Calif.
It worked great for us!
P.S. The wait at the MVD here in havasu is about 10 minutes.

summerlove
08-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Hey John, welcome back from NY! Hope your road trip was uneventful! Not to change the subject here (I think I'll leave well enough alone and just do what I've been doing all these years), but we're coming into town next Thursday night, August 14th. Have you had a chance to detail the boat yet - I'm really looking forward to it! Maybe RD can help. I hear he needs the money! wink I'll give you a call Friday morning (15th). Rick

Moneypitt
08-05-2003, 09:58 AM
If stopped in Ca. with Az. lic & reg., don't admit to working in Ca. Thats one of the criteria they use for demanding Ca. reg. My boat and trailer are reg'd in Idaho, and I have a home there, and here in Ca. I tell them I'm in Id. more than Ca., was there last week, and going back next week. That's my story, and I stick to it!!!....Moneypitt

boatnam2
08-05-2003, 10:06 AM
warlock 25 sent you a pm.

summerlove
08-05-2003, 10:25 AM
boatnam2:
warlock 25 sent you a pm. How the hell do you know? Are you really Warlock 25 trapped in boatnam2's computer??? :confused: lol

summerlove
08-05-2003, 10:27 AM
boatnam2:
warlock 25 sent you a pm. HA! I don't have a new pm from warlock 25. Zero, nothing, nada! Tell me what he said!

AzDon
08-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Rick-
The car that stays here should be registered here (AZ) The ones that stay with you in Ca need to be registered in Ca UNLESS you become an AZ resident. The tests would be tax address and kids school location and (to a lesser degree) work location. And, yes, insurance is WAY cheaper here!

Boatcop
08-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Also include voting in the test for residency.
Be warned, though. If you work in California, and have a residence in California, the State considers you a resident of California. Even if you "Claim" Arizona residency, and that you commute for your job, they don't buy it.
They are wise to all the scams California residents pull to get out of paying their fair share.
The only legitimate way a California resident can register a vehicle in another state, is if the vehicle never enters California.

Moneypitt
08-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Boatcop, thanks for the "straight Poop" from someone that actually knows...Moneypitt

TCHB
08-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Last week I went to Havasu and registered my 1986 truck and it cost me $29 and no smog cert. I will leave the vehicle at my house in Havasu and do not plan on driving it to Califonria. It took me a total of 5 minutes to complete the paperwork and get my new plates.

Mr.Havasu
08-05-2003, 12:06 PM
summerlove:
boatnam2:
warlock 25 sent you a pm. HA! I don't have a new pm from warlock 25. Zero, nothing, nada! Tell me what he said! OK Rick,
Now I'm confused!
Boatnam sent me a PM about doing a detail on his boat and I answered that. Your boat will be shinning like new when you get back to town :D
John

summerlove
08-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Boatcop:
Also include voting in the test for residency.
Be warned, though. If you work in California, and have a residence in California, the State considers you a resident of California. Even if you "Claim" Arizona residency, and that you commute for your job, they don't buy it.
They are wise to all the scams California residents pull to get out of paying their fair share.
The only legitimate way a California resident can register a vehicle in another state, is if the vehicle never enters California. Alan, I was just curious, due to the following:
1) My boat and trailer are registered in AZ (It was last in CA (other than the CA side of Lake Havasu)2 years ago for maintenance.
2) I own a house in LHC, pay taxes, buy stuff, etc. You know the routine.
3) The car in question is not an everyday car. The burb sits in the garage at home in CA, except for the trips to costco and the river
4)I do not want to give up my CA residency due to my retirement plan (CALPERS).
Sooo, I guess I'll just leave well enough alone. Thanks for the info. You're always the guy adding a little caution to some of our half-baked ideas...Rick

oldphart
08-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Don't know if they still do but the CHP was cruising residential neiborhoods and citing vehicles parked in the same drive for more than 5 days with out of state tags. up here its the ore tags they look for

Boatcop
08-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Don't know if they still do but the CHP was cruising residential neiborhoods and citing vehicles parked in the same drive for more than 5 days with out of state tags. up here its the ore tags they look for I've been stopped by CHP and Hemet PD while visiting the in-laws there. We go in for a few days every few months, and they said they'd seen my truck parked at a residence and driving around the area several times.
They wanted to check to make sure I was actually visiting and not a resident. But then again, a big Victory Red GMC with custom rims and tires is a frickin' target anyway.

moneysucker
08-05-2003, 09:01 PM
My dually is registered in AZ and I live in Ca. I was pulled over here and said I was here for work. Wrong. You are here on Vacation. And I was also told that All comercial vehicles theoretically must have Ca reg. as soon as they cross into the state line. It is 1/2 the price in AZ and you get your actual license instantly for only $25.

locogringo
08-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Old Lavey:
Personally, I think this is gonna be the last straw for Davis.
I say boot the big spender (of our money) out before we go into the final tail spin.
JMO
OL Not to drudge up anything but we were running at a surplus. Then, started to spend more than we had coming in.
[ August 05, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: locogringo ]