PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the driving

wtrbabe
08-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Driving home this evening, I saw two boaters leaving for a great weekend, both in the third lane flying at about 80mph. Now the way I see it, I would'nt want to start a three day weekend with a huge ticket, how about yal. How many fellow boaters out there drive like this on your way outta town?

PACKINAIR
08-28-2003, 07:21 PM
wtrbabe:
Driving home this evening, I saw two boaters leaving for a great weekend, both in the third lane flying at about 80mph. PEOPLE LIKE THAT PISS ME OFF :mad: :mad: they take up the 3rd lane and hold me up when I am trying to get to the water :D

bordsmnj
08-28-2003, 07:25 PM
"sometimes GUILTY...." :p

OutCole'd
08-28-2003, 07:28 PM
I would never do 80 in the third lane. Here in Nevada, you can tow in the fast lane, so I am usually doing 85 there.

VillainDave
08-28-2003, 07:36 PM
I try to stay around 75 because you never know when that idiot in the little car is going to jump in front of you and make you have to hit the brakes!

wtrbabe
08-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Here in Calif you can only tow in the first two lanes and you are not to exceed 55-60 mph. Major ticket for doing that. It's really fun to see the idiots try to get over when they realize they are about to miss the exit they needed. I have seen two people wipe out doing that. I just shake my head and laugh at them.
The river aint goin nowwhere,, whats the hurry?

Kilrtoy
08-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Actually you can only tow in the first lane and use the second to pass even slower traffic than 55

Havasu_Dreamin
08-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Who tows to the river? :p :cool:

AzDon
08-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Kilrtoy:
Actually you can only tow in the first lane and use the second to pass even slower traffic than 55 That's only true if there's 3 or less lanes. If there are 4 or more lanes, you are allowed to tow unrestricted in the first two!

Mandelon
08-29-2003, 01:37 PM
That's not what the CHP told me.... frown

73beast
08-29-2003, 06:29 PM
California counts lanes left to right. There is always a number one lane ,next to the center line or divider. 2,3,4,5,6 are to the right,and on any hiway with four or more lanes , all vehicles towing must stay in the right two lanes at 55mph. I daily drive an 18wheeler anywhere from Santa Maria to San Diego, and i see alot of people towing in the carpool lane. This is a 271 dollar fine plus a lane control fine, and if the officer wants a speeding ticket,too.

HighRoller
08-30-2003, 12:34 AM
How can anybody be surprised at how people drive in the LA area?Nothing surprises me anymore down there.They couldn't drive worse even if you removed the stripes from the roads and tore out all the roadsigns and stoplights.It's not like anybody pays attention to them anyways.

Kilrtoy
08-30-2003, 12:45 AM
21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limit21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any
vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal
speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be
driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable
to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing
for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or
driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal
speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is
not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima
facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation
of subdivision (a) of this section.
s, any
I think that pretty much sums it up

AzDon
08-30-2003, 03:33 PM
That section applies to "impeding traffic", which would still be a questionable ticket if the perpetrator is going 1 MPH over his speed limit.
The issue was "lane control" which is pretty much "summed up" by section 22348(c) :
(c) Any vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane
designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if no lane has been so
designated, in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right-hand edge or curb. When overtaking and
passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the drivers
shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left
of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as
permitted under this code.
If, however, specific lane or lanes have
not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly
marked lanes for traffic in one direction, any such vehicle may also
be driven in the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane,
unless otherwise prohibited under this code.
This subdivision does
not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn
or who is in the process of entering into or exiting from a highway
or to a driver who is required necessarily to drive in a lane other
than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.
So it's like I said: 2 unrestricted lanes for towing if the roadway is 4 or more lanes!
[ August 31, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

Kilrtoy
08-30-2003, 03:48 PM
So it's like I said: 2 unrestricted lanes for towing if the roadway is 4 or more lanes!
That only applies to 55mph, Most of the state is 65 so get back in the right lane which is 55 for vehicles towing...

AzDon
08-31-2003, 12:38 PM
If I'm driving my truck in the number 3 lane going 56 miles per hour, Im only impeding you if you are towing and want to exceed YOUR legal limit of 55 mph. If you are in a vehicle that qualifies to go 65, there's 2 lanes to the left that you can use and I can't. You will always find me in this lane (#3 of 4) because I'm not forced to compete with, and be discourteous to people trying to enter from onramps. Perhaps you have entered the freeway next to a tractor with 60 feet of double trailers behind it and had to brake and wait for him to go by.... he didn't run you off, it was his lane and his right of way unless you were clearly in front of him. (This is really bad on the 5 in the Norwalk area because it's only three lanes and the onramps are short and not very visible from the freeway) Most drivers will slow slightly to let you in if you are a nose ahead AND THEY SEE YOU. It's much safer for all involved if the trucks (and tow rigs) simply use the next lane over!
...and one more thing, If you are coming up on a truck in the slow lane that is signaling a left lane change, it often is to surrender his lane to someone coming onto the freeway to avoid a collision....It's called road courtesy, the same as moving out a lane to pass a vehicle stopped on the shoulder. When you speed up to deny the next-to-right lane to that truck, you execise the potential to kill people and will likely be involved in the accident also! If you try that crap on me and I can take the lane before you get there, I'm going to take it and extend courtesy to the guy coming on the onramp. If you prevent me from giving my lane to that onbound driver, he's just going to hafta understand that YOU'RE an asshole!
[ August 31, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

Kilrtoy
08-31-2003, 01:32 PM
Wow,
I am simply reading the law as printed.
So no you can not continue to drive in the #3 lane. Is that law enforced, I dont think it is because of the point you made about the onramps, and I beleive the cops understand that. but because it is not enforced does mean it is right.

OGShocker
08-31-2003, 01:35 PM
wtrbabe:
Driving home this evening, I saw two boaters leaving for a great weekend, both in the third lane flying at about 80mph. Now the way I see it, I would'nt want to start a three day weekend with a huge ticket, how about yal. How many fellow boaters out there drive like this on your way outta town? I got my ticket coming home.... Go figure.
Be quite windbag.

Kilrtoy
08-31-2003, 01:35 PM
any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES....

little rowe boat
08-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Last trip out I was stopped for going 68 mph.So no I would not be towing at 80 plus. :D

AzDon
08-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Kilrtoy:
any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION PURPOSES.... I can agree with that... because the "normal" speed of traffic for the right 2 (of 4) lanes is placed at 55 by virtue of the vehicles allowed to drive in them..... If a vehicle is driving it's full allowed speed, an "impeding" ticket really isn't prosecutable. Only vehicles restricted to 55 are restricted to the 2 slow lanes, so they can't be impeded unless it's by someone going less than 55 and then I'd agree that the slow vehicle needs to move right! Most cops won't write the ticket if there's only 3 lanes because of the onramps, but there's enough "Barney Fifes" that will, so those stretches have more hazardous onramps!

AzDon
08-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Kilrtoy:
Wow,
I am simply reading the law as printed.
So no you can not continue to drive in the #3 lane. Is that law enforced, I dont think it is because of the point you made about the onramps, and I beleive the cops understand that. but because it is not enforced does mean it is right. You are reading a different section than I printed from the California vehicle code.... Your section applies to "impeding traffic" and section 22348(c) applies to "lane control" or where certain oversized vehicles are allowed to drive. They really don't conflict because a "slow" vehicle by definition is one that is traveling below his prescribed speed limit! If you are driving a 65 eligible vehicle in the bottom 2 lanes, you (by definition) can't be impeded by a 55 MPH rig because you have 2 other faster lanes to your left (get it?) If you are driving a rig restricted to those 2 slow lanes as well, you are not being impeded as long as the vehicle ahead is going 55 because that is YOUR legal limit also (get it?)

BOBALOO
09-02-2003, 06:55 PM
When did rice road become 2 lanes in one direction? Is it like the carpool lanes in san diego where in the morning (friday night) you go one direction,and in the evening (sunday night) you go the other way? Ive never seen 15 cars in a row passing on a two lane road until this weekend and no this is not my first time on rice.