PDA

View Full Version : new engine design

LaveyJet
04-01-2003, 03:37 PM
In a design breakthrough, the engine department of evergreen fuels has produced a unique, non-poluting engine design. At this time of ever increasing gas prices, now is the time for alternate fuels. One of the most abundant and so far ignored fuel sources is from fast food
restaurants such as McDonalds, Burger King, etc. The total production of waste grease is sufficient to provide 10% of the world's daily energy needs, we have developed an engine that can utilize this by product.”
The new engine is rumored to be a supercharged 9 cylinder, 3 cycle engine. Normally internal combustion engines use either 2 cycle or
4 cycle technology. This engine uses the odd cycle to "chew the fat" and then spew it into the adjacent cylinder for compression and combustion. All is not rosy for the new engine, it does in fact produce an odor emission
similar to cooking hamburgers or fries.

LaveyJet
04-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Are you interested in investing?

HOSS
04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Been around for a while. Yeah I saw it on discovery. Its a diesel motor. Dude had it in a Chevy Chevette if not mistaken. He also talked about the different odors from what was cooked.

LaveyJet
04-01-2003, 04:09 PM
I like the three cycle technology and the fact that you don't have to change the oil, just the grease traps once in a while.

ROZ
04-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Great, now I'm hungry again. Carls Jr. anyone?

LaveyJet
04-01-2003, 05:15 PM
:o Man, I guess the joke is on me, This was supposed to be a total APRIL FOOLS joke. I saw something similar online that was obviously a hoax,(the designers were Dewey, Cheetam and Howe :) ). I changed things a bit to make it believable. Then 3 or 4 people said they saw this on the Discovery channel, I had to look it up. There really is a grease engine!
jawdrop
Oh well, I'll have to do better next year. :o

Mandelon
04-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Its called bio diesel. There was an article in Boating magazine last year about a 20 something footer than ran around the world on it. I guess the joke is on you!! :D
Biodiesel is a nontoxic, biodegradable replacement for petroleum diesel. Biodiesel is made from vegetable oil, recycled cooking oil and tallow. Chemically biodiesel is described as a mono alkyl ester. Through a process called esterification, oils and fats are reacted with methanol and a sodium hydroxide catalyst to produce fatty acids along with the co-products: glycerin, glycerin bottoms, soluble potash and soaps. Biodiesel belongs to a family of fatty acids called methyl esters which are defined by the medium length, C16-18 fatty acid linked chains. These linked chains help differentiate Biodiesel from regular petroleum diesel.
Although Biodiesel contains a similar number of BTUs as petroleum diesel (118,000 vs. 130,500 BTUs per equivalent translating to similar engine performance in torque and horsepower), the chains are oxygenated and have a higher flash point. This makes Biodiesel a much cleaner burning fuel while being safer to handle and store than petroleum diesel. In tests conducted at the Colorado Institute for Fuels and High Altitude Engine Research, a 20% blend was found to reduce particulate discharge by 14%, total hydrocarbons by 13%, and carbon monoxide by more than 7%.
Biodiesel (including a B20 blend) is now recognized by both the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy as an alternative fuel, and it qualifies for mandated programs under the Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA 90) and the Environmental Protection Act of 1992 (EPACT). In addition, Biodiesel is:
non-toxic (its toxicity is less than 10% of that for ordinary table salt)
biodegradable (degrades in about the same time as sugar)
essentially free of sulfur and carcinogenic benzene
derived from renewable, recycled resources, which don't add significantly to the green house gas accumulation associated with petroleum derived fuels.
Direct benefits associated with the use of Biodiesel in a 20% blend with petroleum diesel as opposed to using "straight" petroleum diesel include:
increasing the fuel's cetane and lubricity for improved engine life,
reducing substantially the emissions profile (including CO, CO2, SO2,
particulate matter (PM) and volatile organic compounds (VOC), and
helping to clean injectors, fuel pumps and fuel lines.
These benefits occur while requiring virtually no engine modifications or costly infrastructural additions. In fact, with the addition of a catalytic converter, nitrous oxides (NOX) can be reduced as well, allowing B20 fleets the flexibility to meet various air quality compliance criteria.
Ultimately, Biodiesel provides the diesel fleet operators and vehicle/equipment owners (including both on and off-road use, stationary generation, and marine environments) the opportunity to comply seamlessly with federal Clean Air and EPACT mandates without the burden of many of the high costs in capitalization associated with other alternative fuels. A number of independent studies have been conducted comparing the various alternative fuels. Included in this list were studies conducted by the US Department of Agriculture and the US Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Lab. In these, the life cycle costs and the projected cost per mile traveled were compared and Biodiesel was substantially the most cost competitive of the alternative fuels.
[ April 01, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

LaveyJet
04-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Yea, the joke is on me. :o I should have came up with something better, like a motor that runs on recycled beer. :)

Sleek-Jet
04-01-2003, 06:15 PM
secondchance:
something better, like a motor that runs on recycled beer. :) That would bring a whole new perspective to who pitches in for beer, and who is going to "pitch" in for fuel at the lake.
"Dude, don't get any on the boat!!"
:D eek!

Ziggy
04-01-2003, 06:32 PM
secondchance:
Yea, the joke is on me. :o I should have came up with something better, like a motor that runs on recycled beer. :) Yeah, and you'd probably find a lot of investors too! :D

04-01-2003, 09:45 PM
There is a station in San Francisco that sells Bio-diesel, the last I heard it sold for about $2.60/gal and the exhaust smells like french fries. I think the Muni buses run the stuff.

Dyce51
04-02-2003, 08:31 AM
058:
There is a station in San Francisco that sells Bio-diesel, the last I heard it sold for about $2.60/gal and the exhaust smells like french fries. I think the Muni buses run the stuff. I wonder if the manufaturers of the "bio-diesal" have a deal with McDonalds or Burger King....making it smell like french fries...