PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for air compressor

MagicMtnDan
09-22-2003, 10:30 PM
I want to buy an air compressor for use in and around my home. I'd like to use it for a variety of jobs including air tools (automotive and nailer too) as well as maintaining tires, etc.
Should I get a portable compressor ("hot dog" type) or a larger one with wheels (like the ones they sell at Costco for about $250)?
I know you guys know your stuff about power tools - what do you recommend? Where to buy it? (if I get one at Sears will it have a Craftsman lifetime warranty?) Thanks

superdave013
09-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Craftsman lifetime warranty is only hand tools. but they will fix or can get parts for most of their stuff.
I would say get one with a 30 gal tank if you want to use air tools. A 2 hp will do but you will have to wait on it some if your getting after something with a die grinder.
I hate oil less compressors, they are loud and don't last as long.
We buy a ton of compressors from Grainger. They are Dayton brand and seem to hold up pretty well.

rrrr
09-23-2003, 06:39 AM
Look closely at the compressor ratings. The tank size is not as important.
Drills, grinders and impact wrenches use around 4-6 CFM. If you want to be able to run a die grinder continuously, the compressor has to be pretty big.
I recommend a two stage compressor. It will have two cylinders, and some will have an intercooler between stages. They cost more, but are more efficient.
For most home shop applications a compressor capable of 4 CFM at 90 PSI would be adequate, but I would personally get something around 6-8 CFM. As always, cost is the problem.
Here's a table of tool air consumption....
http://www.northerntool.com/aircompressors/cfm.htm
[ September 23, 2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

mike37
09-23-2003, 06:40 AM
if you want to use air tools.
you need to look at the CFMs of the air compressor HP and tank size dont mater
but the biger the tank the more reserve you have
look at the air tools you will be useing they have a cfm rating get a compressor that meets or exseeds that number
any compressor will work for tires

Nubbs
09-23-2003, 06:45 AM
I purchased the Craftsman upright 30 gallon compressor about 2 years ago. It's oil less so it's a little loud, but I'm real happy with it. I think it's got a 6 horse motor. If you watch the ads, Sears usually has them on special once a month.

HOSS
09-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Buy the 2 stage compressor the first time. Its not portable. If you plan on using a DA sander then its the only option. I wish I would have kept my portable 30 gal since I sold it for 150. But I got my use out of it. The 2 stage is the only way. I recommend a 100 gal tank but an 80 is minimum.
I bought a Craftsman but don`t advise doing it. Buy cheap cause if the air pump goes you can replace it. Mine used alot of oil at first but after 10hrs it hasn`t used a drop since. That was 5 years ago. Twin cylinder is not at all necessary unless you have a mile of line and 20 people using it at a given time.

gnarley
09-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Get more than you need & pay more than you WANT to afford, you won't be sorry later.
I bought a 5 HP 60 gallon upright 2 cylinder single stage Sanborn & cast iron pump for $375 12 years ago & it has been great! I don’t remember the output but I've ported several sets of heads & painted with it but wish I would of spent just a little more & bought a 2 stage. If you get a good one it should last years so don't get cheep on the price & even try to listen to how loud it is before you pay $$$ I have had many friends listen to mine & ask me to trade for theirs, as mine is fairly quiet compared to an aluminum pump.

Tom Brown
09-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Oilless compressors suck. They are noisy and get noisier. Mine lasted about a year.
My Dad's 1.5hp hot dog style contractor compressor has an oil filled crank case and is WAY more quiet and puts out significantly more air than the 5 hp/30 gallon oilless ProAir II compressor I picked up at CostCo.
At 750 watts/hp, there are no 5 hp motors that plug into a 110v outlet. My understanding is, that figure is how much electrical power they can dissipate, not how much rotational power comes out the output shaft.
-- Tom

johnboy
09-23-2003, 12:07 PM
MMD, do like Hoss said and get a two stage, I prefer twin cyl, two stage. I bought mine de Velbiss (sp?)(5 years ago) with a 100 gal tank at a garage sale for $200 with a 3 phase motor on it. $250 bucks (new motor later) I had a $3000 compressor that would run a mid size body shop. Right now it is mounted out side my pops shop, as soon as our house sales I will be bulding a new shop and the pad will be outside on it as well. Get more than you think you will ever need and put it outside.
Johnboy

dorC
09-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Hint: look at the amperage of the motor. There is NO WAY a 15a 120v circuit will support a 6hp motor. A true 6hp motor will be over 12" in diameter. It will pull close to 50amps at 220v.

Hermosa
09-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Nubbs:
I purchased the Craftsman upright 30 gallon compressor about 2 years ago. It's oil less so it's a little loud, but I'm real happy with it. I think it's got a 6 horse motor. If you watch the ads, Sears usually has them on special once a month. I have the same compressor, and just built a house with it, plenty of volume, had a few nail guns hanging off it running the same time. Worked fine, didn't need anything larger.

Hermosa
09-23-2003, 12:52 PM
dorC:
Hint: look at the amperage of the motor. There is NO WAY a 15a 120v circuit will support a 6hp motor. A true 6hp motor will be over 12" in diameter. It will pull close to 50amps at 220v. Correct, mine is a 5 Hp oil less 30 gallon, runs on 110. "Yea..220, 221.... whatever it takes" Remember that phrase from Mr. Mom....

beyondhelpin
09-23-2003, 02:15 PM
The best thing I can tell is to get a belt drive compressor. The direct drive are so loud you cant stand to be in the same room. Do your self a favor and listen to a direct drive, that will make up your mind. If you can go with a 220 volt as you get more cfms for your buck.
Mine is just a 5 hp 25 gallon tank but it does most every thing I need without the huge expense. I even run a DA with it sometimes and it will almost keep up with it. The air required to run one will depend on the brand. You cant go wrong with quailty tools.

CA Stu
09-23-2003, 05:46 PM
gnarley:
Get more than you need & pay more than you WANT to afford, you won't be sorry later.
I bought a 5 HP 60 gallon upright 2 cylinder single stage Sanborn & cast iron pump for $375 12 years ago & it has been great! SNIP. Bingo.
I have a 6 hp 60 gallon upright Campbell Hausfeld, cast iron, been rock solid and dependable.
Buy big and be happy for a long time.
CA Stu

ralph
09-24-2003, 05:56 AM
how do you get 2 stage out of a single cylinder.all single cylinder are 1 stage. mine is a 7.4 hp 220 volt single phase campbell hausefield that blew up after 1 year 3 days from date of invoice they told me no warranty for anyreason after 365 even if it had not ever been installed. it how has another pump IMC works fine.only i need a biger pump shoulda got the 10 horse.

ralph
09-24-2003, 06:00 AM
how do you get 2 stage out of a single cylinder.all single cylinder are 1 stage. mine is a 7.5 hp 220 volt single phase campbell hausefield that blew up after 1 year 3 days from date of invoice they told me no warranty for anyreason after 365 even if it had not ever been installed. it how has another pump IMC works fine.only i need a biger pump shoulda got the 10 horse.

NorCal Gameshow
09-24-2003, 06:29 AM
MMD, listen to the replies on the oilless comps.
they're very noisy...go with the old belt style and a little bigger than you think you'll need .
just my $.01257

OGShocker
09-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Nubbs:
It's oil less so it's a little loud DO NOT LIE to the man. He asked you a question and you fibbed to him!J/K :D
The Craftsman is F**king loud! I have one and I love it. We use our for all sorts of projects. Drain it and use it is our motto.
I think we got ours at Sams or Costco. It was under $200.00, five years ago.
Check this out too. I was pissed when my local propane company refused to fill my "old" tanks(4) then I saw this kit on TV. I laughed until I bought one. web page (http://store.yahoo.com/intromark-store) I use this thing all the time.

NorCal Gameshow
09-24-2003, 07:08 AM
if you convert those tanks, make sure there is no rust,corrosion or damage..those little pressure vessels are potential bombs at 150lbs...

OGShocker
09-24-2003, 07:31 AM
NorCal Gameshow:
if you convert those tanks, make sure there is no rust,corrosion or damage..those little pressure vessels are potential bombs at 150lbs... Thank you for the safety tip!
Rarely would I put 80lb in a tank like this. That way they only go boom, not Kah Blewy! :D

Screaming Pete
09-24-2003, 01:28 PM
For the home I got an Ingersal Rand 2 stage 25 gal for right at 500.00 bucks has a great warernty and quiet as sunrise at the river. well maybe but you get the point. and itruns all the tools including the sanders. and check out the size of the copper pipe running from the pump to the tank bigger is better for recovery

Just Tool'n
09-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Ok here is what you want in a compressor.
For home usage 30 gallon tank or bigger, make sure the tank is ASME rated. This is a certifcation alot like UL is to elect products.
Next get a quality motor, some companies will call theirs as 5hp when it is only a 3hp.
Next look at the pump, stay away from the oiless pumps they are junk. Go with a 1 or 2 stage pump.
Look at the CFM rating of the unit.
A single stage pump is good to about 130-150 psi in the tank.
A 2 stage pump is good for 175psi in the tank and are usaually higher grade pump, plus they produce air faster.
Look at the CFM rating (Cubic Feet per Minute)the higher the number the better.
Be aware of high CFM rating at a low psi.
Good would be 23.5CFM@175PSI, this is a kickass compressor.
look for cast iron cylinders in the pump. Where the piston & rings are, this will insure long life in the pump.
An Aluminum head is good, because it will disipate heat better than cast iron.
All construction tools & automotive air tools only require 90psi to operate, only paint guns operate at low psi.So make sure you use a pressure regulator.Remember the tank is going to have 125-175 psi in it.
If you are interested in a Snap-On compressor, PM me or call me as a good friend lives in Castiac.
I have sold Snap-on tools since 1985, & before that I sold construction supplies like staple & nail guns for 9 years. I know compressors.
Best Ragards
Just Tool'n