PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever read?

eliminatedsprinter
09-30-2003, 03:04 PM
The outboard forum anymore? There have only been about a handfull of replys on the whole thing today. One fellow is selling a Hallet that I wish I could afford, but nobody is seeing his post. Another guy is asking for advice on selecting a prop and I'm the only idiot who has tried to help him out (he's doomed). Aren't there any of us weedwacker types around here anymore??? :confused:

riverliver
09-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Mbrown just went to the darkside LOL

Trailer Park Casanova
09-30-2003, 03:49 PM
I used to but I had such bad experiences with my new FI Mercury outboards I have nothing good to say.
If ya can't say something nice,,,,
Cost me a couple stars,,,

eliminatedsprinter
10-01-2003, 09:00 AM
I gotta ask :(. How did it cost you stars :confused: ?

burbanite
10-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Probably by having an opinion that differs from that of another :confused: :rolleyes:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-01-2003, 03:40 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
I gotta ask :( . How did it cost you stars :confused: ? People didn't want to hear about it.
Some of the Merc FI two stroke outboards have intermittant power loss. I though it was me,, perhaps I was imagineing it,, maybe the river current speed was effecting my performance, maybe a shop rag got sucked into the intake,, maybe the $16 spark plugs, bad gas,, wasn't sure.
I stopped off at the Off Ramp bar outside the Hollywood Burbank Airport waiting for a flight. I sat at the bar for a drink,, and noticed two Merc mechanics (in their work shirts with shop worn hands) were sitting next to me enjoying an afterwork beer.
I told them my story,, and before I was 10 words into it they told me my problem,, and that Merc had no remedy.
My particular Mercs had a NOX problem,, the engine leans itself way, way, out to correct,+ retards ignition timing & the timing of the FI, then power drops,, and if you keep on the throttle,, eventually the pistons go south.
4 strokes can handle funny tricks like this,, two strokes are too fussy.
$36.000 worth of engines that in my case, usually ran crummy.
Others it seems don't have this problem,, others do. Seems to have a lot to do with the climate one runs in.
It's usually 110F+ where I play,, so I was on the hit list. Catalina trips were in a cooler climate,, no problems.
I sold the boat to a guy that lives in San Francisco. Very cool climate there year round, perfect. He runs it in the ocean. I got E mails and letters from his family telling me how much they love the boat.
He struck me as the kind of owner that the boat will never see 40 MPH.
"The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco"- Mark Twain
[ October 01, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

eliminatedsprinter
10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
So telling this group that cost you stars.... eek!

Trailer Park Casanova
10-01-2003, 04:02 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
So telling this group that cost you stars.... eek! Well, I figure I didnt post for 2 weeks after because we were at the river.
When I returned, I was 2 stars down,, and the replies indicated I hurt some peoples feelings that had just bought new Mercs.
I think I came across like; "Aww ya bought a piece of shit". Even though my post was in a thread that never mentions what they owned, and wasn't in the context of pointing to someone that bought something that may be trouble.
If I remember, it was in response to someone who was considering a 4 stroke outboard, and I gave plus's why to go 4 stroke. Not dumping on what others bought.
Anyway,, they didn't like what I had to say after investing $18.000 in a new outboard.
I didn't say it, the mechanics at the bar did, and appeared to be right.
More people read these threads that you can imagine. My stories bring lots and lots of PM's and E mails from people that never ever post. This particular reply brought them out in numbers.

JetBoatRich
10-01-2003, 07:27 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
The outboard forum anymore? :confused: Havasubarney.com can help you Steve and them