PDA

View Full Version : RVing

Seadog
07-30-2003, 10:00 AM
My wife has me working on getting the motorhome road ready. Least anyone think that I am loaded, this is 73 22' Diamond class C, on a Dodge M-300 chassis. My dad bought it ten years ago, decided after a few years that he didn't want to mess with it and told me it was my inheritance. Its been sitting the last two years because I haven't had time to mess with it. I still have to get a new brake system put in and install a new A/C and it will be ready to use.
I am curious of how many here have RVs and what type: Popup campers, Class A, etc. Do you use them much?

Danhercules
07-30-2003, 10:03 AM
I have a 30' 5th wheel toy box. I use the hell out of it. At least 12 trips a year. I get 3 during the summer at the river and the rest in glamis. I love it. Lots of work but worth every min.

Boozer
07-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Just out of curiosity what do those 5th wheel toy boxes run? I have been looking at toy boxes but haven't found any that are 5th wheels.
I want a 5th wheel so I can pull tandem with the boat.

Havasu Cig
07-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Just bought a 30' Weekend Warrior toy hauler last month.

eliminatedsprinter
07-30-2003, 10:17 AM
My only tow vehicle is my RV. It is an 1984 24 ft Chevy/Lindy. We got it this spring and aside from tow duty to local lakes we have used it for 2 trips to Lake isabella. I had to put new brakes on it and it needs a generator. So far we are glad we got it rather than just a truck or SUV to tow the boat, as it is nice to have the overnight capability right at hand. So far we have spent 7 nights in it and we plan to use it for at least one or 2 more trips this season. Who knows, I might even unhook the boat from the back and go somewhere in it without the boat.... pig_flyi .

spectratoad
07-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Just last week I upgraded from 30' Class C to a 35' Class A. We use ours year round for the lake, snow skiing, wine tasting, road trips to wherever, or even the occasional kids are sleeping and we want to make alot of noise so let's go out to the backyard to the mobile loveshack :D :D :D etc...
I still have my tent though so I don't forget where I started. wink

bohica
07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
I've got a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer Class A. Use it every other weekend during the fall and winter for Glamis. Sits all summer long. We did the moho and enclosed trailer deal rather than the toybox. It's nice that I don't have to unload everything when I get there late at night, just park and go to sleep. Do miss not having the truck there to drive around once you get to your destination. :D

bohica
07-30-2003, 10:36 AM
One more thing, anyone looking for a Weekend Warrior, go to this site
http://www.glamiswarrior.com/index.htm
Friend of mine, his name is Shawn and will beat any price out there. :D

JetBoatRich
07-30-2003, 11:00 AM
We bought a 34'Bounder two years ago and love it. Minimum of 1 trip a month, sometimes we drive an hour to Red Rock Canyon and just enjoy the night.
:D :D

Danhercules
07-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Boozer:
Just out of curiosity what do those 5th wheel toy boxes run? I have been looking at toy boxes but haven't found any that are 5th wheels.
I want a 5th wheel so I can pull tandem with the boat. I bought mine in 2000. brand new. I paid 15k out the door. A 5th wheel tows soooooo much better. I tow my boat behind my rig somtimes. I leave the trailer at the river during the summer. You also get more room. I would never suggest to buy anything else but a 5th wheel (not including morterhomes)
The only advantage I see with a motorhome is your family (or whoever is with y ou) being able to use the bathroom and make food. I dont have kids yet, so that is not an issue for me. I like to have my tuck available when I camp, like if someone gets hurt, you cant just leave in a motor home. Thats my .02

1stepcloser
07-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Seadog,
For 10 years, I had a 1973 24' WInnebago Cheiftan, on a Dodge M-5000 chassis, 413, T-727.
I did the brakes, (a BITCH by any measure) suspension on all four corners, had the exhaust replaced, and that thing ran great! over the years, I redid the interior, replaced the A/C, rebuilt the generator, etc,etc,etc. I really liked that thing, got alot of compliments too.
The only thing I hated about it was the trans. I went through three transmissions in the time I had it.
It still lives today, at Black Meadow Landing, in storage, with a dead trans.
I replaced it with a 25' fifth wheel a couple of years ago.
Good luck with your project.

drbones
07-30-2003, 11:30 AM
We have a 1970 Dodge Travco 270
..One of the best made RV's of it's time... :cool: All fiberglass with steel ribs..only thing wood is the floor..
We use it every weekend at river lot..

Rubths
07-30-2003, 11:42 AM
1stepcloser:
Seadog,
For 10 years, I had a 1973 24' WInnebago Cheiftan, on a Dodge M-5000 chassis, 413, T-727.
I did the brakes, (a BITCH by any measure) suspension on all four corners, had the exhaust replaced, and that thing ran great! over the years, I redid the interior, replaced the A/C, rebuilt the generator, etc,etc,etc. I really liked that thing, got alot of compliments too.
The only thing I hated about it was the trans. I went through three transmissions in the time I had it.
It still lives today, at Black Meadow Landing, in storage, with a dead trans.
I replaced it with a 25' fifth wheel a couple of years ago.
Good luck with your project.

Ziggy
07-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Lance cabover camper. Mostly used in winter at Glamis. Has everything, gen,a/c etc. Can be tight at times but its enough for us 3 now that my son is out of the house.

XTRM22
07-30-2003, 11:46 AM
We have an 83 24' Tioga that used to live in Havasu in Havasu Cigs side yard or on the beach at Crazy Horse all summer. We use it during hunting season, generally drive it to big partys to sleep it off before driving home, and my parents use it for a 2 week road trip through New Mexico every year. I think we've put 10,000 miles on it in 4 years, but your can't beat owning one when you need or want it! Plus in't like having a guest house with it parked next to the garage here in Tucson. wink
CHuck

Rubths
07-30-2003, 11:47 AM
I have a 1992 31ft Winnebego Brave class A and used it almost every weekend for 2 years untill I purchased a new 04 FS3000 weekend warrior last december. Now it just sits on the side of my house unless I rent it out to some of our friends that dont want to tent it some weekends.
www.glamiswarrior.com (http://www.glamiswarrior.com) if you want a new WW.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/data/500/674winniebrave92-med.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/data/500/674warrior1.jpg

SoCalOffshore
07-30-2003, 12:50 PM
'02 40' Monaco Dynasty triple slide. The only bad thing is I can't tow the boat with it, so it forces us to take 2 vehicles.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/100monacocoach.jpg

Boozer
07-30-2003, 12:59 PM
SoCalOffshore:
'02 40' Monaco Dynasty triple slide. The only bad thing is I can't tow the boat with it, so it forces us to take 2 vehicles.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/100monacocoach.jpg God Damn! Those things r bad ass but with the way I spend money, even if I had the income to support such an expensive toy I'd be to busy puttin all that money up my nose, buying expensive call girls, and letting it ride in Vegas.

Ducatista
07-30-2003, 01:23 PM
JetBoatRich:
We bought a 34'Bounder two years ago and love it. Minimum of 1 trip a month, sometimes we drive an hour to Red Rock Canyon and just enjoy the night.
:D :D Thats funny, we will do the same thing in our Cali rig(1989 35ft Mallard)from the Palmdale area. Often will go out to the hills above Cal City or El Mariage for Sat night, blaze a fire & enjoy a cigar. Sometimes don't care if I ride or not, and sometimes we will ride over to Red Rock from Cal City. We keep a trailer in Havasu year round for the boating extravaganzas.

JetBoatRich
07-30-2003, 01:44 PM
Ducatista:
JetBoatRich:
:D :D Thats funny, we will do the same thing in our Cali rig(1989 35ft Mallard)from the Palmdale area. Often will go out to the hills above Cal City or El Mariage for Sat night, blaze a fire & enjoy a cigar. Sometimes don't care if I ride or not, and sometimes we will ride over to Red Rock from Cal City. We keep a trailer in Havasu year round for the boating extravaganzas. Have to hook up out there some time :cool:

SoCalOffshore
07-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey Boozer, that's what I use to do, so I bought the Monaco to settle down. :D

Movin Violation
07-30-2003, 04:48 PM
32 foot Bounder Class A. Use it every weekend from March thru November. Just call it the lake house...cuz thats where you will find it every weekend. Tows the Baja pretty good too. Just need a big boat ramp or take the extra tow vehicle with the lake lice in tow.
[ July 30, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Movin Violation ]

Mandelon
07-30-2003, 09:07 PM
I have a junky old camper for the pickup....but it has all the amenities and is enough for us to sleep and cook in. I do not worry about it getting dirty or scratches.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24Agua-Caliente_001-med.jpg

Mod VP
07-30-2003, 09:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/353IMAG0013-med.jpg
Sea Dog: FWIW it can be a real challenge finding parts for that year Dodge,been there done that.
eek!
I am also thinking about going the toyhauler route.It's a pain not to have a vehicle to make store runs,or launch and retrieve with.Better for Glamis too.
And I'm getting a new Dodge Diesel truck anyways.
:D
[ July 30, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Mod VP ]

little rowe boat
07-30-2003, 09:33 PM
My wife works for Fleetwood and we still can't afford an RV. cry

joe
07-30-2003, 09:44 PM
89 37 ft overland diesel pusher
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/616Picture_209-med.jpg

Boozer
07-30-2003, 11:03 PM
It has got to be a real bitch to launch the boat with those big ass RV's. I see people doing it and watch them struggle. Makes no sense to me. Personally I'd rather just invest the money into a place by my lake of choice and keep the boat and truck there at all times.
I was figuring out the costs involved everytime I haul my boat to the lake and in all reality it would actually cost me the same to rent a place on the lake and leave the boat and rig there full time. Then just have a beater to commute with and get me back and forth from the lake place. Might just do it next Summer. BUT if I get a toy hauler then that may change. Who knows lots can happen in a year.
For all I know I could hit the powerball and decide to move to France. I'd love to give those Frenchys some good hard earned well spent american money :D

vdrivenman
07-31-2003, 05:05 AM
we have a 2000 prowler sut or toybox. it is a bumper pull which we prefer over a fifth wheel.that way we do not loose the use of the bed of the truck.Toyboxs are the way to go they are even making them with slides.
it stays in a rv park at the lake during summer months, then home for our yearly biking vacation.the Dakota's this year for some m/c riding.
gets used ever weekend during summer,also works as a back up in case of a hurricane or ice storm as it has its own power.also a write off as a second home on income tax.
great to pull to the beach and fish or to the deer lease in hunting season

Seadog
07-31-2003, 05:10 AM
So far I have not had any problems finding parts. With the 360, I should be OK for many things. Some things like a brake master/booster are special order but available. Last weekend I checked out a place in MO my dad told me about. Hundreds of salvage RVs, including some just like mine. They are also big on new parts. I got my A/C there at a better price than anyone else. They had bought 500 Colemans last spring and had only six left. Colaw Salvage (http://www.colawrvsalvage.com) even rebuilds many of the nicer wrecks.

superV
07-31-2003, 05:58 AM
Boozer:
I want a 5th wheel so I can pull tandem with the boat. It is still legal to pull tandom without a 5th wheel. I just did it when i came to denver! There is only a few states that do not allow it.

JetBoatRich
07-31-2003, 06:01 AM
Nice to have everything you need when camping at the lake or riding. Including A/C.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/09_07.JPG

Danhercules
07-31-2003, 06:46 AM
Boozer:
It has got to be a real bitch to launch the boat with those big ass RV's. I see people doing it and watch them struggle. Makes no sense to me. Personally I'd rather just invest the money into a place by my lake of choice and keep the boat and truck there at all times.
Thats why I like the 5th wheel( or trailer). Ya still have your truck to launch your boat, run the auto parts store, get milk. ya know.
I like the 5th wheel over the bumper pull cause the way it tows. you dont totally loose the bed. I put a lot of shit in the bed sitll. Ya cant get a quad, will then again you put it upright infront of the hitch. ya lose some the the turning radues, but I have done it before.

H.B. Brett
07-31-2003, 07:20 AM
You must have a really tiny boat to be able to fit it in a toyhauler. Unless you go to the same place everytime having a toyhauler doesn't work. After you've driven it a while it isn't much different than launching with a truck. The V-10 in the RV ends up getting only a few miles a gallon less than the truck with the boat, and you don't even feel dirt bikes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/794Motorhome_3-med.jpg

H.B. Brett
07-31-2003, 07:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it has to be a 5th wheel to pull tandem (In California), and you have to have a commercial license. I have seen non-5th wheels pulling tandem though in other states. That's got to be scary with that much weight beind you! jawdrop