PDA

View Full Version : How to start?????

Osiris
07-30-2003, 01:54 PM
I am gathering as much information as possible before I purchase my boat.Besides the U.S.C.G. Aux course,is there any other instruction and/or schools/classes that would help me in my endeavors to be a proficient and safe boater?I know of no one personally with a boat to teach me correctly(or incorrectly for that matter)and I am trying to avoid learning the extremely hard way(injury to myself or worse,others).Since I am trying to avoid poor resales on entry level boats and will split my time between lakes and the mighty Pacific,my first boat choices are in the 33'-38' range.I have priced out insurance on sizes ranging from 28'-40' some that is no longer a shock.Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

572Daytona
07-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Chapman is one of the better know organizations for boat training:
http://www.chapman.org/
They also publish a book that is worth gettting:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0688168906/102-0554303-1170545?vi=glance

rrrr
07-30-2003, 03:04 PM
The Texas Parks and Wildlife guys have an 8 hour course that I attended with my wife and son. It's sorta like defensive driving (boring) but if you don't know the rules of overtaking, passing, etc. then it's good stuff.
The USCG course is pretty much the same thing. I know you guys will all moan and roll your eyes but these classes should be required and boaters should have a license. It might help weed out the assholes.
Take note of ALL the safety equipment required. Buy it, have it on board, and tell your passengers where it is and how to use it.
Hell RD, one of my partners came to work one day a few years ago and announced he had purchased a Sea Ray 400EC. I asked him if he had ever driven a boat that big, to which he replied "I've never driven a boat"...
We stayed off that lake until he sold it. :D
[ July 30, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

rrrr
07-30-2003, 03:07 PM
oops!
[ July 30, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

dimarcobros
07-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the boards! I am with RD on this one, your first boat i going to be in the 33-38' range??? I work in the insurance business and I know that safety courses will help out on your premium, so it would be worth it for you to go through a course or two, not to mention you could use the knowledege if this is your first boat. No offense. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Osiris:
I am gathering as much information as possible before I purchase my boat.Besides the U.S.C.G. Aux course,is there any other instruction and/or schools/classes that would help me in my endeavors to be a proficient and safe boater?I know of no one personally with a boat to teach me correctly(or incorrectly for that matter)and I am trying to avoid learning the extremely hard way(injury to myself or worse,others).Since I am trying to avoid poor resales on entry level boats and will split my time between lakes and the mighty Pacific,my first boat choices are in the 33'-38' range.I have priced out insurance on sizes ranging from 28'-40' some that is no longer a shock.Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Hats off to you osiris for steppin up to the plate and asking for help or advise keeping everyone in mind for saftey of others. got a 5er from me for saftey and concern for all. wink

Boozer
07-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I'd say that your best bet is going to be to buy a smaller cheaper boat and make sure that is what you want to do.The guys on this board are going to shoot me for what I am about to say but that's okay.
The way that I got into boating and would recommend others get into boating is buy purchasing an inexpensive boat. What is inexpensive to you and me is probably something completely different but that is okay. I started with a Bayliner. Had all the basic ammenities and not to powerful for me to have some major catastrophe occur while throttling it around the lake. It also wasn't so expensive that if I decided I didn't want to continue boating I was stuck with a 100k+ paperweight.
I have now outgrown the Bayliner after a few months and quite a few boating mistakes and will be purchasing a more appropriate boat next spring.
I recommend everyone take this route when getting into boating. A boater safety course is also a VERY wise decision and a smart thing to do.

bohica
07-30-2003, 03:56 PM
There used to be a high performance boating class that Dick Simon Marine I think ran. Don't worry about the size of the boat, with a little practice and patience you'll have it down in no time. The larger twin engine boats are much easier to manuever the the little single engine boats. Take the USCG class first, and if you buy new, I'm sure the dealeer will have no problem taking you out on your first day. :D

Boozer
07-30-2003, 04:02 PM
bohica:
There used to be a high performance boating class that Dick Simon Marine I think ran. Don't worry about the size of the boat, with a little practice and patience you'll have it down in no time. The larger twin engine boats are much easier to manuever the the little single engine boats. Take the USCG class first, and if you buy new, I'm sure the dealeer will have no problem taking you out on your first day. :D I wonder if that's the same Dick Simon that owned the VW repair shop in Chino. I think he also owned some other auto repair shops.

Havasu Cig
07-30-2003, 04:32 PM
No it is the Dick Simon from Indy car fame. He was also a team owner. He has since sold the dealership. I have not talked to the new owner in a while so I am not sure what the status is now.
You should hook up with a boating club in your area if you can and get some help with learning the boat.

Osiris
07-30-2003, 06:19 PM
572 Daytona and Havasu Cig:Thanks for the heads up concerning Chapman.I'll get on it.Havasu Cig,I've noticed alot of people from my county(Ventura)present on this board but no mention of any clubs.Could you point me in the direction of any?
River Dave and Boozer:I have been aboard a boat of the style and size we are talking about(Fountain 38'Lightning) and it was a blast so I am sure I want one.I am also sure that the responsibility to be competent,safe and respectful to others,my family and myself rests squarely on my shoulders.Given the financial investment size,the unpredictability of water(e.g. Pacific),and the potential for loss of life,I do not take this purchase lightly.While making my decision,several factors came into play.In no particular order here is the logic that lead to the size boat in question:1)I was informed by World Wide Marine insurance to either practice on the boat I will purchase or something very similar in nature in order to receive experience credit(I guess a Sea Doo jet boat and a 353 Fastech aren't the same).2)I also do not care for the huge hit I'll take upgrading to the boat I really want when I become proficient within the first few months.Whatever I lose on that starter boat will just increase the cost of the boat I wanted originally.3)Rates are incredible now but I don't they will remain so while I am in my entry boat.That fact alone is a strong incentive to purchase the boat you want.4)I could use the tax write off a larger boat affords me.5)I know myself to be a responsible driver and motorcyclist(who started on a Kawasaki ZX9R sport-bike).That motorcycle was and still is beyond my and all but the most seasoned professionals skill level.Knowing this,I respect the bikes ability and stay within my limitations.While on the topic of limitations,I am aware of the guys/gals with more money than brains, who get the latest greatest bike,car,plane or boat without the proper training or worse the desire to receive the proper training and end up hurting themselves/others.With the possible exception of alcohol consumption,I am deftly aware that a lack of experience has led to more boating accidents than anything else.I don't want to be "that guy."That is why I am reaching out to those more knowledgeable than I.Thanks in advance for all your help guys/gals.

Napanutt
07-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Hey "O"..You sound like a heads up guy...Keep researching,ie.surfing,and you'll learn alot about whatever it is you're trying to learn about...I've learned plenty hanging around here for the last 4 months or so...

Osiris
07-30-2003, 07:48 PM
I am also looking for rules and regs concerning the different lakes available.I have tried their respective websites but could gather very little to no info.

572Daytona
07-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Osiris, I think you are approaching this in the correct manner, take it slow and easy at first and you should do fine.
As for Rules and Regs, there is some info at this site: http://www.boat-ed.com/ California is not one of the states that they have an actual test for but the course material is generic enought to be beneficial no matter what state you live in. I would check with whatever entity registers boats in California and see if they have rules and regs handbooks available.