PDA

View Full Version : Stereo install - Help!

Morty
08-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi there,
I've read alot about stereos here, and we do have a lot of talent here. So, I would like some guide lines on how to install the stereo.
Any help or comments will be appreciated.
Here is the system (ever-changing) as I see ordering it:
Head unit: Sony MP 80 3 sec anti-skip, 4V x 3, remote-able
Amp: JBL 180.2 excellent value for the $
Sub amp: JBL 600.1 class D, again excellent value
Speakers: Here I would like some recommendations, but I've always been a fan of MB Quart and I'm considering the NKA 116's in stock locations (Baja 180) and possible 2 more either in the sides or underneath the steering wheel/stereo.
Sub: Infinity Perfect 12.1 regular voice coil in a Q-logic box (these two I have already - never used)
Sat. radio: Roady by ?
OK, now for some specific questions:
1) I purchased a Rockford Fosgate install kit (1729) w/ 4 gauge wire - however I'll need some more ground wire (also 4 gauge) Where is the best place to install the amps? Underneath the stereo?(on the portside of the boat) Is it OK to run that long of a ground wire? Will 4 gauge wire be enough for my amps?
2) Is my sub OK underneath the stereo? Is it going to induce distortion?
3) If I never plan on getting my speakers wet aren't the MB Quart RKC 116 sufficient?
4) I have a dual batt setup w/switch. They are the deep cycle/starting kind. Both pretty new. Do I need more?
5) If I run one battery down, and it's time to drive home, is it ok to set the batt switch in the "both" position and let the alternator charge them?
Thanks for any advice!
It's a great board - Hope to see some of you in Havasu next Memorial Day.

RaysonRat
08-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Sounds good, one thing i didnt hear about was a fuse. (1) for the main power cable and (1) for each amp at your distribution block, the four gauge should be enough to power those two amps. When wiring your ground should be as short as possible, just keep the power and grond away from your rca cables. make sure your amps will stay cool or the thermal switches will shut them off, we tapped into the blower motor on my buddys boat to vent cool air over them, mounting the sub underneath the deck might make it skip if it hits hard enough, your battrys should be fine ive been running that type of setup in my Suburban for a long time with great results

Mr. Naudio
09-01-2003, 06:10 AM
Sounds good, one thing i didnt hear about was a fuse. (1) for the main power cable and (1) for each amp at your distribution block, the four gauge should be enough to power those two amps. When wiring your ground should be as short as possible, agree with some of that but DO NOT FUSE AT AMPS OR DIST BLOCKS.This will only add unwanted resistence.And cant help protect the wire as it would be to late at that point.
Most definetly do not put subs any closer to head unit than you have to yes it can skip even an mp80 w/gshock.
The ground cable must equal the power cable in guage,and go directly to neg post on battery.
Positive cable should go to common post on your perko.

Mr. Naudio
09-01-2003, 06:23 AM
If I run one battery down, and it's time to drive home, is it ok to set the batt switch in the "both" position and let the alternator charge them?
Unless you absolutly have no choice you should NEVER use the both ,all position on perco.
Once you start you will be running on altinator power and can charge the low battery quicker by itself.Keep in mind this will take quite somtime 40 min to hour at speed depending on the output of your alt of course.
I you can swing the dough no subsitute for on board generator and an inverter you could play as long as you have gas and never kill batts for boat as you would then seperate the system power from that of boat totally different wiring proceedure.

Morty
09-01-2003, 08:15 AM
The other choice is to put the sub underneath the steering wheel "space", but it would involve a LOT of wiring.
The wiring kit from Fosgate includes a HD fuse.
What do you think of my selections?
Any recommendations on 6.5" speakers?

Havasu Hangin'
09-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Morty:
1) I purchased a Rockford Fosgate install kit (1729) w/ 4 gauge wire - however I'll need some more ground wire (also 4 gauge) Where is the best place to install the amps? Underneath the stereo?(on the portside of the boat) Is it OK to run that long of a ground wire? Will 4 gauge wire be enough for my amps?I would install the amps where they will be dry. I installed mine behind the jumps seats, because it was the dryest, coolest place (with fans).
Depending on the length of wire, I would say 4 gauge will probably work fine. This chart is a pretty good starting point:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/infolib/carlib/cablelength.gif
I would run fuses at every junction. Although in a car it may not matter, in a boat, if you have a short, the smaller wire may overheat quickly (before the main fuse trips).
heat + fiberglass = no fun.
Fuses at the distribution block will protect the smaller gauge wire. The tiny amount of resistance in these components will not matter if your wire gauge is correct. IMHO, it's worth the extra insurance.
Don't worry about the "as short as possible" ground wire in a boat. This works in cars, where the chassis is way bigger than any gauge wire you could install. Instead, I'd run the beefy wire to the engine block (or battery)- boats need all the help with grounding they can get, and the dash ground will not be enough.
Morty:
2) Is my sub OK underneath the stereo? Is it going to induce distortion?Like mentioned earlier, if the bass hit hard enough, it might upset the CD.
Morty:
3) If I never plan on getting my speakers wet aren't the MB Quart RKC 116 sufficient?I have some MB Quart Nautics in my boat, and they are very crisp...I think they sound better than the Babbs and Crystals I've heard...suprisingly, quite a bit of mid-bass out of those little 6.5's.
Morty:
4) I have a dual batt setup w/switch. They are the deep cycle/starting kind. Both pretty new. Do I need more?Probably not. With those amps, that deep cycle should last awhile. If you start killing it (too little storage), just add another deep cycle- it's really gonna depend on your listening habits.
Morty:
5) If I run one battery down, and it's time to drive home, is it ok to set the batt switch in the "both" position and let the alternator charge them?You can, but it's gonna depend on whether your gonna charge it on the trailer. If my deep cycle battery was dead, and I knew I was gonna throw it on a charger, I'd probably just run on the good battery, and let the home charger do the work.
You can run them on both, but they will tend to equalize each other, so you may end up with two half-charged batteries.
If you're not going to throw it on a charger, I'd start the boat with the good battery, then switch it to the dead battery and take off (as long as you're not idling)...the Perko switch does not interupt the circuit.
Good luck- sounds like a great setup.

ROZ
09-04-2003, 12:12 AM
The professor has spoken wink :D
HH, 75 / 4 (15min)= 18.75 Not bad... Just make sure to tell im where to send your check :D
I whish MB still made the Nautics in a seperate..... frown

Morty
09-05-2003, 06:30 AM
The other choice is to put the sub underneath the steering wheel "space", but it would involve a LOT of wiring.
The wiring kit from Fosgate includes a HD fuse.
What do you think of my selections?
Any recommendations on 6.5" speakers?

beyondhelpin
09-06-2003, 10:23 PM
You cant go wrong with the MB Quartz. For the money they are the best. I run just a little more power than you and I was pulling down my extra battery pretty quick. Added an extra and I can thump pretty hard all day.
One thing I would do is get a good on board charger like the guys in the bass boat use. I just back the boat in and plug the charger in. Nothing eats batteries like not fully recharging them after every use. You spend big money on your system why have it limited by not enough batteries or ones that are not at 100%. It made a huge difference in my boat when I added the extra battery (2 for stereo and one for starting) and the onboard charger. Not to mention the fact I was replacing batteries because after hanging out all day the amount I was running the boat was not enough to fully charge the battery. They will go to shit in a hurry.
I would not worry about running speaker that are not marine. I dont and have never had a problem to this date.
[ September 06, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: beyondhelpin ]

Morty
09-07-2003, 12:53 PM
ok guys, I did a LOT of research on this...
1) ROZ is the "go-to" guy when it comes to this stuff.
2) I'm going with an Alpine unit w/o int. amp. Why pay for something I'm not going to use?
3) A smarter battery mgt system is needed especially for a couple of days in LHC w/o shore hook-up. I agree with beyondhelpin that a good charger is needed and after some research here is what I can contribute:
Bass pro has a great selection and prices
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.OnlineShopping
The Stealth charger is unmatched in performance. This is perfect for stereo batteries. No more fried alternators. No power-robbing,heat-generating isolators.
This is a no-brainer! (sorry for sounding so dogmatic, but this is night and day to matched batteries, switches, isolators, special alternators etc) :rolleyes:
Oh, and it's on SALE!
AND, it'll work fine in conjunction with any battery charger you currently have installed (or install temp.)
see the Stealth charging system here:
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=38335&hvarTarget=search
idea

Morty
09-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Havasu Hangin
I just went back and re-read your post. I am with you on running one battery down and charge it when I get home. It takes a big load of the alternator.
I just thought this Stealth set-up was so cool, especially for multi day boat trip, with no hook-ups.
Thanks for all you help,
You have really helped me out here!
I'm going to try out the current 2 battery setup, before I go spend more coin wink
Morty