PDA

View Full Version : Home Inspector

Boozer
07-17-2003, 02:08 PM
So between last night and today I managed to find 4 houses that met all the criteria I was looking for in a house. While talking to a co-worker he suggested that once I get 1 picked out I have a home inspector check out the house and make sure everything is up to par.
I have a few questions about this. Question 1 is have any of you used one of these people? Question 2 would be is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when viewing these houses. And last but not least is there really anything the home inspector can look for that I can't?
The big things I know to look for are copper plumbing, Foundation cracks, and any water damage. I'm also checking to make sure they have new windows and new or recently serviced furnaces and the basic things like that.
What am I missing?
The houses all vary in age from the oldest being built in 1976 to the newest being built in 1992.
Thanks.

hot_diggity_dog
07-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Boozer I've been in the building industry for over 23 years and when I purchased my new house I still hired a home inspector. wink
You are not looking at the house the same way that they are, you are all caught up into trying to purchase something you really want, and you tend to overlook things. ( kinda like buying a boat)LOL :rolleyes:
A good home inspector is usually a structural engineer and or a former general contractor. argue
This is all they do all day long and they get updates on potential problems on other houses in the area as well as their experience. wink
It's worth the $200-$300 dollars for a complete report. wink
HDD :cool:

Hallett19
07-17-2003, 02:18 PM
where are you looking to buy ? are you working with an agent already ? I have a guy I like to use, let me know if you want his number. He is resonable and I have never had anything come up later that he hasnt found upfront. Contact me if you need any help. aaronvanwagner@sbcglobal.net

al cole'holic
07-17-2003, 02:21 PM
You should not buy a house without an inspection being done and it will benefit both the buyer and seller in the long run. Issues that may come up can be brought to the table in early stages rather than down the road that may turn into legal battles. Good luck with everything! :D

Boozer
07-17-2003, 02:22 PM
I am looking for a home right outside of Denver, CO.
The 2 cities I am looking in are Thornton and Parker. Probably places you have never even heard of.

NoCal NoBoat
07-17-2003, 02:25 PM
The roof. Especially shake roofs in fire-prone areas.
Every termite inspection I've read usually found something to correct in a bathroom or laundry area.
Look for wood to ground contact, especially where decks may have been added after the original construction. Sometimes a little excavation will clear it, sometimes a pier-block is needed.

Jrocket
07-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Home inspector? Waste of time.All you have to do is lean down,make sure the lug nuts are all tight,check for a lava lamp in the bed room and see if the fridge will hold a case of cheap beers!Oh and stock up on some card board boxes for great window coverings in the summer.Gotta keep the heat out.Back the ol Dodge up to her,latch her down,throw the guy a 50 spot and your off with your new mobile estates! :D

riverliver
07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
You are missing a few thing, moisture conditions , faulty grades, wiring, pluming and other thing that may not be up to code, you may also want to get your own termite inspection.
The home inspection industry is not regulated and you need to find a good inspector.
I would also recommend that you are there at the time of inspection so you can go over any problems he may find with him.
I have been inspecting houses for 25 years, take it from me that it will be money well spent.
Good luck with your new home !!!!
[ July 17, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: riverliver ]

H.B. Brett
07-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Gotta get the inspection. If possible try to be there during the inspection, and follow and ask questions. He's working for you. I just bought a house and I'll be spending this weekend doing the repairs to my house. The best thing is they are tenting mine for termites next Thursday so it looks like me and the dogs are headed to the river for a long weekend.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/794DSC00188-med.JPG

riverliver
07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by H.B. Brett:
[QB] Gotta get the inspection. If possible try to be there during the inspection, and follow and ask questions. He's working for you. I just bought a house and I'll be spending this weekend doing the repairs to my house. The best thing is they are tenting mine for termites next Thursday so it looks like me and the dogs are headed to the river for a long weekend.
Good thing that they are fumigating (tent) your house H.B. has a lot of termites
Here is a condo complex we did in Newport.
http://www.roadrunnerexterminating.com/services/fum_images/tent2.jpg

H.B. Brett
07-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Hey, I know that complex! They replaced so much wood and siding I'm practically going to be painting the whole house. jawdrop Not really but they replaced a lot.

riverliver
07-17-2003, 02:51 PM
H.B. Brett:
Hey, I know that complex! They replaced so much wood and siding I'm practically going to be painting the whole house. jawdrop Not really but they replaced a lot. You are think of Newport Crest this is Villa Balboa..

wsm9808
07-17-2003, 09:25 PM
I would get the inspection. It really paid off for us.
We just put a contract on our dream house monday. 3600ft, five bedrooms, 4 baths and a huge kitchen and living. 3 car garage and 20x40 shop and pool.
The only catch is that previous owner died and it has been tied up in IRS and legal bull and has set vacant for over a year and the "estate" would only sell it "as is", BUT, they did allow us to buy a 14 day option period to inspect the house.
So.... because they allowed us the inspection, it says in writing in the contract that the sellers have to have the electric, gas and water turned on at the house for our inspector.
well, as it worked out, the gas lines were leaking, so the gas company shut the gas right back off and took the meter, and lightning had hit something and burned up some of the electrical boxes and the power would not turn on to the house. So now the sellers are putting in all new gas lines and fixing the shorted out wiring and it is at no cost to us and it all has to be to city code and pass city inspection.
So, for the cost of an inspection and a 100.00 option period, we are getting 3000.00 worth of repairs done at no cost to us on an "as is" purchase.
Also, on a regular purchase, you can usually use anything the inspector finds(and they will find something) to negotiate the price down, or have the seller fix it before finalizing your contract. So what you gain in lower price or repairs offsets and usually exceeds what you pay an inspector.
And like someone else already said, be at the house with the inspector when he does the inspection. You will learn alot about your new house with him.

07-17-2003, 09:41 PM
booz
your going from one end of denver to the other
i hope you work in the middle of town
i hear traffic sucks there I 25 and santa fe

Danhercules
07-17-2003, 09:41 PM
Word of caution. If your foudation is not easly seen, he will not look at it. He will walk the outside and look for cracks, if the dirt is high, and hiding the foudation, he will not dig to look for it. If there is thick carpet hiding cracks, he will not see it. I repair foudations, and you will be suprised on how the inspectors overlook the foudation.
To check foundtion (sinking or settling) Look at the inside doors. Look at the top. If the revealis the same, its OK, If one side is smaller than the other, the smaller side is sinking, look for other doors in the area, could be the door is hung poorly. Look for cracks in the brick walls or stucco. If you see any funny cracks or uneven doors, take pics and send them to me or get a foundation specalist to look at it. The home in spector is good for lots of other stuff, when I bought my home, he did not look at the foundation and I asked him why , he told me its too hard to check thourughly. At least he was honest.

Kilrtoy
07-18-2003, 07:09 AM
SCAM SCAM SCAM

Boozer
07-18-2003, 07:22 AM
257:
booz
your going from one end of denver to the other
i hope you work in the middle of town
i hear traffic sucks there I 25 and santa fe I work downtown so it works out for me. Downtown is pretty much the midway between both places. Santa Fe and I-25 isn't to bad. I commute right now from Highlands Ranch to downtown and actually take Santa Fe to I-25.

al cole'holic
07-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Kilrtoy:
SCAM SCAM SCAM That's funny shit, what kind of a dwelling you live in??