PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a cyclone and a hurricane?

Flying Tiger
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
The topic came up because of the massive cyclone slamming Down Under.
Cell Block Rudy says one rotates clockwise, the other counterclockwise.
Damfino
Anyone know?

pjones
03-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Cyclones rotate counterclokwise in the northern hemisphere
and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.
A hurricane is a type of cyclone that moves northwest or northeast
from it's point of origin....
Per dictionary.com.

riverracerx
03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
http://powersports.honda.com/Motorcycle_DCTM/Milestone/Images/MM_1987_Hurricane_cycle.gif
Honda Hurricane
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0407htp_sy_01_s.jpg
GMC Cyclone

jbone
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Like my toilet. Here is turns one way down there it turns the other way.
J

little rowe boat
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Cyclones are in the southern hemisphere and hurricanes are in the northern hemisphere.

wsuwrhr
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Not a thing when you live in California.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
http://powersports.honda.com/Motorcycle_DCTM/Milestone/Images/MM_1987_Hurricane_cycle.gif
Honda Hurricane
warm and fuzzy,
my first bike.
Mine was pearl white with the red stripe, perfect first bike.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-20-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0407htp_sy_01_s.jpg
GMC Cyclone
I drove a Typhoon when they first came out, which was the Blazer version. Drove it from a dealership in LA to Compton. I put it in a container and it went to Japan.
The all wheel drive viscous coupling killed any towing capacity with either of those two. I think it killed the vehicle popularity too.
Pretty fast. Anyone else get to drive one? The turbo 4.3 setup in the Buick GN, Typhoon and Cyclone was ten years ahead of it's time.
Brian

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I drove a Typhoon when they first came out, which was the Blazer version. Drove it from a dealership in LA to Compton. I put it in a container and it went to Japan.
The all wheel drive viscous coupling killed any towing capacity with either of those two. I think it killed the vehicle popularity too.
Pretty fast. Anyone else get to drive one? The turbo 4.3 setup in the Buick GN, Typhoon and Cyclone was ten years ahead of it's time.
Brian
I couldn't put enough $$$$ to buy one when they were new. The "Bravada" transfer case was the shit, I could care less if you could tow with it. But, I always thought the turbo is what killed the towing capacity??? Don't really know.
You couldn't hardly break a wheel loose, the truck would just squat and start hauling ass...

wsuwrhr
03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
I couldn't put enough $$$$ to buy one when they were new. The "Bravada" transfer case was the shit, I could care less if you could tow with it. But, I always thought the turbo is what killed the towing capacity??? Don't really know.
You couldn't hardly break a wheel loose, the truck would just squat and start hauling ass...
Wasn't the turbo, it had plenty of power to tow with. The coupling couldn't handle much more than the vehicle's load to begin with, I remember stickers all over the damn thing warning of towing capacity.
You are right about doing burnouts, non existant, even through water.
It squatted down just like you said and started truckin'.
Brian

Captain Dan
03-20-2006, 01:37 PM
The topic came up because of the massive cyclone slamming Down Under.
Cell Block Rudy says one rotates clockwise, the other counterclockwise.
Damfino
Anyone know?
A Cyclone is made with Vodka, and a Hurricane is made with Rum - both from Pat O'Briens !! What do I win?

Seadog
03-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Cyclones - Pacific Ocean, Hurricanes - Atlantic Ocean.

GMFL
03-20-2006, 02:39 PM
From NOAA:
Subject: A1) What is a hurricane, typhoon, or tropical cyclone?
Hurricane NOAA
Contributed by Chris Landsea
The terms "hurricane" and "typhoon" are regionally specific names for a strong "tropical cyclone". A tropical cyclone is the generic term for a non-frontal synoptic scale low-pressure system over tropical or sub-tropical waters with organized convection (i.e. thunderstorm activity) and definite cyclonic surface wind circulation (Holland 1993).
Tropical cyclones with maximum sustained surface winds of less than 17 m/s (34 kt, 39 mph) are called "tropical depressions" (This is not to be confused with the condition mid-latitude people get during a long, cold and grey winter wishing they could be closer to the equator ;-)). Once the tropical cyclone reaches winds of at least 17 m/s (34 kt, 39 mph) they are typically called a "tropical storm" and assigned a name. If winds reach 33 m/s (64 kt, 74 mph)), then they are called:
* "hurricane" (the North Atlantic Ocean, the Northeast Pacific Ocean east of the dateline, or the South Pacific Ocean east of 160E)
* "typhoon" (the Northwest Pacific Ocean west of the dateline)
* "severe tropical cyclone" (the Southwest Pacific Ocean west of 160E or Southeast Indian Ocean east of 90E)
* "severe cyclonic storm" (the North Indian Ocean)
* "tropical cyclone" (the Southwest Indian Ocean)
(Neumann 1993).

reb939
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
This is a Cyclone.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2880SkiRace_016_Large_-med.jpg
Hurricanes are pontoon boats.

Brooski
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
From NOAA:
Subject: A1) What is a hurricane, typhoon, or tropical cyclone?
Hurricane NOAA
Contributed by Chris Landsea
The terms "hurricane" and "typhoon" are regionally specific names for a strong "tropical cyclone". A tropical cyclone is the generic term for a non-frontal synoptic scale low-pressure system over tropical or sub-tropical waters with organized convection (i.e. thunderstorm activity) and definite cyclonic surface wind circulation (Holland 1993).
Tropical cyclones with maximum sustained surface winds of less than 17 m/s (34 kt, 39 mph) are called "tropical depressions" (This is not to be confused with the condition mid-latitude people get during a long, cold and grey winter wishing they could be closer to the equator ;-)). Once the tropical cyclone reaches winds of at least 17 m/s (34 kt, 39 mph) they are typically called a "tropical storm" and assigned a name. If winds reach 33 m/s (64 kt, 74 mph)), then they are called:
* "hurricane" (the North Atlantic Ocean, the Northeast Pacific Ocean east of the dateline, or the South Pacific Ocean east of 160E)
* "typhoon" (the Northwest Pacific Ocean west of the dateline)
* "severe tropical cyclone" (the Southwest Pacific Ocean west of 160E or Southeast Indian Ocean east of 90E)
* "severe cyclonic storm" (the North Indian Ocean)
* "tropical cyclone" (the Southwest Indian Ocean)
(Neumann 1993).
In Jerry Seinfields best voice................."Neumann!!"
Funny how quick the thread got jacked.