PDA

View Full Version : BOY'S AND OUR TOY'S...

FRENCHIE
09-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Any one got any reccomendations or feedback on GPS Sytems? What to stay away from which are a great by? I have been looking for the last 2 weeks and like the Garmin - Vista! Im thinking of making the purchase for future ocean trips and trip to Lake Powell etc booked for next summer. Any key things you definately want and need....any input greatly appreciated.....thanx...leon :D

VillainDave
09-11-2003, 05:31 PM
I have a Magellan Meridian color which sells for 499.99 and a buddy of mine has the Garmin GPSMAP 176C mounted on his boat and they both worked perfect at Powell and I also used it at Glendo just for fun!
I would get that has color they are easier to read than the black and white.

FRENCHIE
09-11-2003, 05:38 PM
DO YOU KNOW WHAT HE PAYED FOR THE GARMIN?

Jbb
09-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I got a Garmin gps 111+ I like it...
speaking of new toys I just put this one together..
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/post-21-1063240585.jpg
You can see the build up
Here! (http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=414&st=0&)
[ September 11, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

MagicMtnDan
09-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey Frenchie, on the recent Catalina trip, Beer Hunter used a Garmin 176C. He had a chip in it with even more details on depths and landmark locations. The color display was very good and could be seen even in direct sunlight.
This is a very interesting topic and I look forward to what others are using and recommend. I know there was a thread on this over at RiverRacerX - I'll try to find it and post a link to it later...

FRENCHIE
09-11-2003, 05:53 PM
MMD WHERE THE HEC YA BEEN? DID YOU GET THAT P.M. LAST WEEK AFTER I WENT DOWN TO SEE sHOCKWAVEBD? gOT SOME GREAT INFO, I THINK MY MINDS MADE UP!!!!NOW WORKING ON GEL COAT LAYOUT...HAVE SOME PICS OF THE COLORS AND LAYOUT WILL SEND TO YA...DROP ME A LINE.P.M. :D :D :D :D

Havasu Luvr
09-11-2003, 06:06 PM
I did some research on the net and I prefer Garmin. I considered the 176 model because it is portable ie. boat, truck, hiking. Then I decided that I would not use it in the truck since I have On-Star and it is alittle bulky to back pack so I thought I would need a larger screen for the ocean trips. I just ordered the 182C, it has a 5" color screen for better visual and I can surface mount it to my helm. I also purchased the Blue Chart chip (California/Mexico) for better detail on my ocean trips to Catalina. I would not want to get caught in the fog that rolls in unexpectedly. I paid $1,046.00 for the 182C, Blue Chart and shipping.
HL

CA Stu
09-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Garmin eMap with the RAM mounting system. Got it through http://www.cycoactive.com I have the suction cup mount for use in my boat and truck, handlebar mounts for some crap, and solid mounts on my other crap. Great system, well thought out and solid as a rock.
Used for a couple of years, seen 9000+ miles on the handlebars of my enduro, seen streetbike miles, boat miles, 4wd miles, truck miles. Runs off 2 AAs or 12v, has removable memory chips (this is a nice feature), dead nuts accurate, has a decent sized screen, which is backlit (for night boating).
Very rugged, not too expensive, and very versatile. Apart from pilots on the board, I would guess my GPS has seen the most miles and the shittiest conditions out there, and it still works like a champ. Highly recommended.
For software, you will need Garmin Roads and Rec, Garmin Marine, and for route planning, DeLorme Street Atlas is the handiest program.
Good Luck
CA Stu

CA Stu
09-11-2003, 06:37 PM
CA Stu:
Garmin eMap with the RAM mounting system. Got it through Cycoactive (http://www.cycoactive.com) I have the suction cup mount for use in my boat and truck, handlebar mounts for some crap, and solid mounts on my other crap. Great system, well thought out and solid as a rock.
Used for a couple of years, seen 9000+ miles on the handlebars of my enduro, seen streetbike miles, boat miles, 4wd miles, truck miles. Runs off 2 AAs or 12v, has removable memory chips (this is a nice feature), dead nuts accurate, has a decent sized screen, which is backlit (for night boating).
Very rugged, not too expensive, and very versatile. Apart from pilots on the board, I would guess my GPS has seen the most miles and the shittiest conditions out there, and it still works like a champ. Highly recommended.
For software, you will need Garmin Roads and Rec, Garmin Marine, and for route planning, DeLorme Street Atlas is the handiest program.
Good Luck
CA Stu

FRENCHIE
09-11-2003, 06:38 PM
THANX, GREAT INFO, PROBABLY BEST YET...WILL LOOK AT YOUR MODEL ON LINE!

CA Stu
09-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Crap! I was trying to edit the hyperlink and I shit my pants...
Atr least I know exactly where I was :D

OGShocker
09-11-2003, 07:05 PM
We mounted a Garmin 176c on our Dana. It is nice 'cuz you can use it as a handheld as well!
We looked for two weeks and found this site to be the BEST! GPS 4 FUN!!!!!! (http://www.gps4fun.com/gar_gpsmap176c.php) Good price and great service.

mickeyfinn
09-11-2003, 07:09 PM
And I was expecting another thread about Hotties.

09-11-2003, 07:44 PM
I have a Garmin Etrex...works pretty good but one thing you need to be aware of, they do not respond instantly to accellerated top speed. You need to give them a second or two to trianglate the satellites for top speed readings. In other words if you accelerate to 80 mph and get out of the throttle at that point the GPS reading will be slightly lower because it didn't have time to calculate at 80 mph but at an average speed for the time it took to triangulate. If you are looking for a top speed stay in the throttle for a couple of seconds so it has time to calculate an average.

FRENCHIE
09-12-2003, 06:32 AM
looking right now at etrex legend or vista, do ya have one of these? anyone else got a vista, what do you think of its performance? :D

eaglemtnlaketx
09-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Jetboat Brian, I have never noticed the black plastic covers over the clutch cover and side of the motor before. I guess that serves to kept things cleaner and to keep from burning your ankles. Great machine.

Just Tool'n
09-12-2003, 08:29 AM
FRENCHIE:
Any one got any reccomendations or feedback on GPS Sytems? What to stay away from which are a great by? I have been looking for the last 2 weeks and like the Garmin - Vista! Im thinking of making the purchase for future ocean trips and trip to Lake Powell etc booked for next summer. Any key things you definately want and need....any input greatly appreciated.....thanx...leon :D I would buy a Compaq PDA, then get the GPS adaptor for it. If memory serves my right last months powerboat magazine had a article on it.
This way you can download maps of the area you are going to onto the PDA, plus you have a full funtion PDA if you use one for business.

FRENCHIE
09-12-2003, 01:36 PM
lOOKS LIKE PROBABLY GO WITH THE ETREX VISTA, I LIKE THE IDEA OF IT BEING VERY PORTABLE AND SAMLL TO CARRY, MOST LIKELY USE IT 50% ON THE BOAT , 50% HIKING ETC....WOULD THIS IN ANYONES EXPERIENCE BE GOOD FOR POWELL, TRIPS TO CATALINA? LOOKS LIKE I CAN DOWNLOAD QUITE A BIT OF INFO AND PROGRAMS ON TO IT FOR ON THE WATER! :p

CA Stu
09-12-2003, 03:19 PM
FRENCHIE:
lOOKS LIKE PROBABLY GO WITH THE ETREX VISTA, I LIKE THE IDEA OF IT BEING VERY PORTABLE AND SAMLL TO CARRY, MOST LIKELY USE IT 50% ON THE BOAT , 50% HIKING ETC....WOULD THIS IN ANYONES EXPERIENCE BE GOOD FOR POWELL, TRIPS TO CATALINA? LOOKS LIKE I CAN DOWNLOAD QUITE A BIT OF INFO AND PROGRAMS ON TO IT FOR ON THE WATER! :p GET AN EMAP BRO THEY'RE PLENTY SMALL ENOUGH TO CARRY WHILE HIKING I HAVE DONE IT AND EASY TO MOUNT ON MULTIPLE VEHICLES I HAVE DONE THAT TOO AND CHEAPER THAN SHIT AND HAVE A WAY BIGGER SCREEN THAN THE VISTA AND THE REMOVABLE MEMORY IS A BONUS TOO.
A FRIEND OF MINE HAS AN ETREX VISTA AND IT'S REALLY REALLY GAY NEXT TO MY PUSSY MAGNET EMAP.
ALSO IT WILL TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK :D
CA Stu

OGShocker
09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
The 176c fits in the palm of your hand. It is a full blown chart plotter as well.

Havasu Luvr
09-12-2003, 04:50 PM
OGShocker
The 176c fits in the palm of your hand. It is a full blown chart plotter as well. My first choice was the 176C, but with my small Japanese eyes I need a bigger screen to see on those ocean trips. I believe they have the same features, just the 176 is smaller and portable and the 182 is a fix mount with a larger screen
Either way we are both "Winners" going with Garmin :D